cut down on sodium! !!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In numerous such threads I've seen you tell people they should switch up salt for Mrs. Dash.

You tell people they should worry about keeping sodium under 1500.

You say that virtually all of us get too little potassium and too much sodium (and I know for a fact that's not true for me, I get plenty of potassium, for example).

The truth is more complex, as indicated by the article I posted (as well as my own conversations with my doctor).

Who does this?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    The point I think some are missing (and granted, it hasn't specifically been put down in black & white) is that I don't believe anyone is under the impression that you should completely ignore sodium/salt intake and just eat teaspoons full of pure salt...any more than one would say you should completely ignore any micronutrient.

But that for most people, absent a specific medical condition which requires one to monitor their sodium intake, going a few hundred milligrams over or under the RDA is not any cause for concern. In other words, eat salty/sodium-rich foods in moderation, and there's no need to pearl-clutch.

If anyone disagrees with that I would welcome an intelligent debate as to where that is wrong.

I agree with this.

I do not however think that "If you have no medical condition you don't need to worry about sodium" implies this.

I do. I think to some extent people are talking past each other.

On the whole I think people ought to drink adequate water, exercise, get enough potassium, and be sensitive to if they have a medical condition. I'm also in favor of eating mostly from whole foods/home cooked meals and if you don't -- if you eat lots of restaurant or packaged food -- then perhaps seeking out lower sodium options, as you are eating in a way that tends to be high sodium.

What I think is overkill for most (and the article I posted supports this) is worrying about keeping sodium to a very low level or trying to track and log cooking salt or deciding that using any salt is the devil and that it must be left out entirely to be healthy and so foods like pickles or olives or smoked salmon are bad for you.

SOME may have conditions where that's the case, but they shouldn't then tell perfectly healthy people that we are killing ourselves because we don't cut out salt or the like.

Again with the "X is the devil" stuff when absolutely nobody said it.

Why argue against things nobody said?

Why?
    You had the time to post that, but not support for your mentioning that something other than sodium might be the problem with salt?
    I already know I'm right. I don't need you to know it.

I don't learn this stuff by googling. Even if I did, I still probably wouldn't post a link, but I don't have one, anyway.

If you believe I'm wrong, that's fine with me.

I'm still curious about why people argue against things that aren't said. I never understand that. This thread is full of people arguing against things that weren't said.

I'd say that's "odd."
    You're not right. And you're using the debate tactics of a two-year old. Making a claim and then explicitly refusing to support it might not even be up to a two-year old's standards. At least he'd say "Because."
    No, I'm not using debate tactics, lol. I'm not debating.
    Neither does a two-year old. They, also, throw spiteful tantrums instead. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The point I think some are missing (and granted, it hasn't specifically been put down in black & white) is that I don't believe anyone is under the impression that you should completely ignore sodium/salt intake and just eat teaspoons full of pure salt...any more than one would say you should completely ignore any micronutrient.

But that for most people, absent a specific medical condition which requires one to monitor their sodium intake, going a few hundred milligrams over or under the RDA is not any cause for concern. In other words, eat salty/sodium-rich foods in moderation, and there's no need to pearl-clutch.

If anyone disagrees with that I would welcome an intelligent debate as to where that is wrong.

I agree with this.

I do not however think that "If you have no medical condition you don't need to worry about sodium" implies this.

On the whole I think people ought to drink adequate water, exercise, get enough potassium, and be sensitive to if they have a medical condition. I'm also in favor of eating mostly from whole foods/home cooked meals and if you don't -- if you eat lots of restaurant or packaged food -- then perhaps seeking out lower sodium options, as you are eating in a way that tends to be high sodium.

What I think is overkill for most (and the article I posted supports this) is worrying about keeping sodium to a very low level or trying to track and log cooking salt or deciding that using any salt is the devil and that it must be left out entirely to be healthy and so foods like pickles or olives or smoked salmon are bad for you.

SOME may have conditions where that's the case, but they shouldn't then tell perfectly healthy people that we are killing ourselves because we don't cut out salt or the like.

Has ANYONE suggested cutting salt to a very low level?

Kalikel does all the time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In numerous such threads I've seen you tell people they should switch up salt for Mrs. Dash.

You say that virtually all of us get too little potassium and too much sodium (and I know for a fact that's not true for me, I get plenty of potassium, for example).

The truth is more complex, as indicated by the article I posted (as well as my own conversations with my doctor).

Who does this?

The person I was addressing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I agree with this.

Has ANYONE suggested cutting salt to a very low level?

Kalikel does all the time.

I'll have to go back and re-read the thread. I haven't seen anyone suggest going below the RDA.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

Again with the "X is the devil" stuff when absolutely nobody said it.

Why argue against things nobody said?

Why?
    You had the time to post that, but not support for your mentioning that something other than sodium might be the problem with salt?
    I already know I'm right. I don't need you to know it.

I don't learn this stuff by googling. Even if I did, I still probably wouldn't post a link, but I don't have one, anyway.

If you believe I'm wrong, that's fine with me.

I'm still curious about why people argue against things that aren't said. I never understand that. This thread is full of people arguing against things that weren't said.

I'd say that's "odd."
    You're not right. And you're using the debate tactics of a two-year old. Making a claim and then explicitly refusing to support it might not even be up to a two-year old's standards. At least he'd say "Because."
    No, I'm not using debate tactics, lol. I'm not debating.
    Neither does a two-year old. They, also, throw spiteful tantrums instead. :)

This should not be a shock. They do this all the time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Who does this?

The person I was addressing.

When you don't use the quote function it's very difficult to know who is being addressed.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut and salt licks. This is why I love you people.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this monkey wrench into the works, but aren't there murmurs that they're going to revise the guidelines on sodium just like they did on cholesterol?
    There is a LOT of talk about the fact that salt itself, and not sodium necessarily, is more of a problem.

Isn't salt sodium? <confused>
    Salt contains sodium. There is sodium in there. It's not 100% sodium.

But salt cannot be salt without the sodium component, so what's your point?
    I wasn't making a point to fight about. I was clarifying for you, since you didn't know the difference between sodium and salt.

I understand perfectly the difference between sodium and salt. Salt is a chemical combination of two elements: sodium and chlorine - which becomes sodium chloride aka table salt when bonded. Since table salt cannot exist without sodium, your previous statement - "There is a LOT of talk about the fact that salt itself, and not sodium necessarily, is more of a problem" - makes absolutely no sense.
    So, you lied to create a fight? Really?

There is lots of talk and much studying being done about salt. It's not new.

It may even be googleable. I don't know. I didn't google it and won't be googling it.

I'm also done arguing about this ridiculous thing.

I 100% agree that people should really ask their doctors about their salt.

What? Have you not heard of the socratic method?
    I'd suggest googling it, but...

You I like.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

You say that virtually all of us get too little potassium and too much sodium (and I know for a fact that's not true for me, I get plenty of potassium, for example). You were basically unwilling to believe in this thread that anyone could need more sodium.

If people want to know how to lower their salt, using spices, herbs and Mrs. Dash is a great way to help themselves learn to appreciate flavors in food without loading it up with salt.

I say that most Americans get too much and too little sodium. That's a fact. Maybe you don't, but most of us do.

I never, at any time, suggested that nobody could need more sodium. EVER. That's more of you arguing something that wasn't said. Again.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Cut sodium? NO! Install a salt lick in the kitchen!

Ok, I didn't exactly install one, but I do have a bottle of supplements. Apparently, mine is too low. I cut it and didn't need to do that, so back up it goes. I'm eating around 3500 a day, but that's not enough. I just can't add salt to anything else, so, I get the supplements. Or a salt lick. I'm still bucking for one of these, but hubby says no. He's a spoilsport.
    I used to horde salt tablets and use them like candy back when they handed those things out to deal with football two-a-days. They're way better than sauerkraut. You should tell him that.

He will reply that nothing is better than sauerkraut, because he is a freak smart man who seems to have his act together, a man you can trust, a true mensch.

FTFY!
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

You say that virtually all of us get too little potassium and too much sodium (and I know for a fact that's not true for me, I get plenty of potassium, for example). You were basically unwilling to believe in this thread that anyone could need more sodium.

If people want to know how to lower their salt, using spices, herbs and Mrs. Dash is a great way to help themselves learn to appreciate flavors in food without loading it up with salt.

I say that most Americans get too much and too little sodium. That's a fact. Maybe you don't, but most of us do.

I never, at any time, suggested that nobody could need more sodium. EVER. That's more of you arguing something that wasn't said. Again.

Wait, so it is the sodium that's at issue?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Cut sodium? NO! Install a salt lick in the kitchen!

Ok, I didn't exactly install one, but I do have a bottle of supplements. Apparently, mine is too low. I cut it and didn't need to do that, so back up it goes. I'm eating around 3500 a day, but that's not enough. I just can't add salt to anything else, so, I get the supplements. Or a salt lick. I'm still bucking for one of these, but hubby says no. He's a spoilsport.
    I used to horde salt tablets and use them like candy back when they handed those things out to deal with football two-a-days. They're way better than sauerkraut. You should tell him that.

He will reply that nothing is better than sauerkraut, because he is a freak.

I think a salt lick will go perfectly with the kitchen theme, but he's like "you can't be licking that in front of guests" and I reply "that's what she said" and then he rolls his eyes at me. No fun. No fun at all.

You know, you can buy salt lick necklaces. http://www.humansaltlick.com/

That's freaking hilarious!

brett.gif

The picture is almost as good as the description:

"Himalayan pink salt releases negative ions, balancing cellular metabolism to increase immune system health." LMAO.

Question, when you lick it and then wear it against your clothing, does it get all lint-y?

'Nuther question - is that you, @tincanonastring?
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

brett.gif

"Himalayan pink salt releases negative ions, balancing cellular metabolism to increase immune system health." LMAO.

Question, when you lick it and then wear it against your clothing, does it get all lint-y?

Laughing. Can't. Breathe.

I just sent this to hubby and told him that see, I can lick it in front of guests. He wasn't amused. I got a digital eye roll.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

brett.gif

Laughing. Can't. Breathe.

I just sent this to hubby and told him that see, I can lick it in front of guests. He wasn't amused. I got a digital eye roll.
    Every time I put anions on my shopping list, autocorrect changes it to onions, though.

• ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    just remember that sodium is an essential mineral...not getting enough can be as bad as too much.

So right! Thank you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thread closed and under review.
This discussion has been closed.