U.S. Navy 1.5 Mile run time

Options

Replies

• sarnold958
    sarnold958 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Gentlemen, good news! I have completed a one mike run in 7:36. This is the fastest run I have ever done in my life. Now that j have the time where I'm comfortable with, j will build the endurance. 1.5 miles is not terrible to accomplish in under 12. I can do it !
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time on your side. Doing miles builds the endurance. We had guys that would come out and do our 3 mile PFT runs, and longer platoon PT and such with us. When you get into the Fleet, it's more a mental thing when humping gear. You just have to get your head into it and do it. We had minimums to carry, but usually the Corpsmen had some options, often carrying minimal medical stuff but extra water to look out for people getting dehydrated. Just remember, on the long humps... "Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain."
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Also that is the minimum run time required for graduation. I would guess if you can run that upon entrance you would be able to run it in about 10 minutes upon graduation if not better.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I'm just pumped to finally be in this kind of cardio shape. I know I lack the distance endurance but it's workable!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    In May I was 253 lbs, I enlisted in August at 220 lbs, now I am waiting to go and am training a lot and am 210.6 lbs and running a mile in 7.5 minutes!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    7:28 today after not having run for 5 days due to the storm! *kitten* yes! Still no word from the naval office if my paperwork to leave this month for basic has been accepted or not. The struggle is real
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Sprint intervals got my 1 mile time down the quickest. I went from an 8:30-9:00 mile or so to just under 6 minutes within just a few months (and not a ton of effort).
  • militarygirl92
    militarygirl92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    wolfsbayne wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Unless things change a lot since I enlisted, your will be doing PT as part of the basic training. I went from unable to run for more than a few feet to 13:54 for my 2 mile test in eight weeks (Army). The training consist of progressive longer run and faster pace. Don't waste your time sprinting.

Cosign- I wouldn't stop running between now and then- but get close and don't sweat it- you have a lot of training ahead of yourself.

Secondly- whats with people signing up for stuff and not being physically prepared? That one girl a month ago with her police academy thing? What do you people do from the time you apply to the time they go "hey by the way you're going in 1.5 months?"

True that. My son wants to be a Navy Seal when he graduates college in a few years and has already done tons of research on what he needs to do and has begun training for it.

I was running two miles (sometimes four if I can work it in) almost every other day and doing pushups and sit-ups constantly three months before I even spoke to a recruiter. I leave in the next three months and that just gives me more time to prepare. If people are remotely THINKING of joining any branch, I imagine they'd already start working on endurance and resistance. Basic is more a mind game than anything, that's my understanding, and Being fit before you ship is half the game.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sarnold958 wrote: »
    In May I was 253 lbs, I enlisted in August at 220 lbs, now I am waiting to go and am training a lot and am 210.6 lbs and running a mile in 7.5 minutes!

Well done. Now you've just got to work up to sustaining about an 8 minute mile for 30-40 minutes.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    1 in 7:17!
  • jenn10302001
    jenn10302001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your run time is awesome, but don't neglect your push ups and sit ups. Do different variations of push-ups as well. When I was in boot camp (way back in 2000) if one person dropped doing push ups, we had to start all over. You don't want to be that person who drops! Good luck and best wishes to you!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Making good progress Sarnold.

And good point about adding some other stuff Jenn. But then again, when I went to boot camp if nobody dropped they still made us do more stuff!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    7:15 !!!
  • sarnold958
    Options
    I haven't run since Saturday afternoon. I'm thinking I will today. I've found that more than just one day's rest In between runs has actually dramatically helped me w my times. I've found that if I run every other day, I'm running about a 7:30 mile. But if I wait a few days and run again it went down to about 7:15 -7:17. I like that better. It's not even a matter of how I feel because my body doesn't feel the impact really that much(knock on wood). Idk why it makes such a difference
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Because your body really does feel the impact. Muscles are slightly fatigued, glycogen may not have completely recovered. It doesn't take much to drop 15 sec off of your pace.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Good luck and thank you for volunteering your service to the country. Everyone seems to be giving you great advise so I won't pile on.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    sarnold958 wrote: »
    I haven't run since Saturday afternoon. I'm thinking I will today. I've found that more than just one day's rest In between runs has actually dramatically helped me w my times. I've found that if I run every other day, I'm running about a 7:30 mile. But if I wait a few days and run again it went down to about 7:15 -7:17. I like that better. It's not even a matter of how I feel because my body doesn't feel the impact really that much(knock on wood). Idk why it makes such a difference

You can run every day and improve your endurance. Just don't try to run all out every day. You shouldn't try to set new records every day either. Keep the speed work down to a couple times a week and do easy 9:00+ miles the rest of the week. You're working your fast twitch muscle fibers more on the faster runs but you're neglecting your slow twitch muscles and reducing the amount of endurance training your getting. Your lungs, heart, and blood vessels need more time to develop. This isn't just about leg muscles. Without the oxygen to feed them muscles run out of steam fast.

Generally you're doing really well though. Fantastic work on getting those times down.
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1.5 mile in under 12.30 should be a bimble for a 21 year old. I was never a runner, it was always my weakness and I was one of the slower ones in my platoon in army training (back in 2002), and I was still getting 1.5mile in around 9 min 30 sec. 12.30 was the minimum for females if I remember right.

British Army standard is under 10.30 for 1.5 mile after a 1 mile warmup.
    Parachute regiment are expected to get 9.30 minimum.

If you aim to get around 10 min for the 1.5 mile then it's an ok pace.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Interval sprints and jogging as mentioned many times
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Navy 1.5 mile PRT in 11:39!!! The time I needed was 13:30. Hooyah!