sarnold958 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    7:05!!!!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sarnold958 wrote: »
    7:05!!!!!!!

Well done, you've shown considerable improvement and commitment, which sets you on a solid course for success.

I'd make a couple of observations that you might want to take on board. You're focussing on your mile time, which is fine, but your physical fitness is much more than that.

In my service a new entrant to training will do the Basic Fitness Test on day one, the first full day of training. Everyone should be expected to pass that, and you'll find that your Directing Staff and Troop/ Platoon Commander will observe. For me, in a Troop Commander role, I'd be looking at those who gave everything to that test, so if you fade in the last 400 metres I'll be noting that.

On day two, in my service, it'll be a six mile run at about a 9 minute mile. The DS will be all over the Troop, watching how you're doing. That'll include your Troop Commander whose got in mind who he or she is interested in following the first day fitness tests.

Whilst I might have been impressed by a 10-11 minute 2.4km time, with a fade at the end, I'm not going to be impressed if you can't complete the six miles in under an hour. That will put you on my watchlist as vulnerable. there is no point in being able to run fast for short distances, if you don't have the endurance, as much more of what we do in the deployed environment is about endurance.

The point I'm trying to get across here is, you need to think about more than just your 2.4km time. Very few of your runs in training will be that short.

It's worth looking at the lessons identified in the USMC following Gulf 1, what I'd call Operation Granby and my US colleagues would have called Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The USMC that I worked with subsequently in Iraq and Afghanistan were very different from those I'd worked with in the early 90s, much more focus on endurance than bulk.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @sarnold958 Great progress. But I'd pay attention to what @MeanderingMammal states above. The rest test is longer term cardio fitness and some pace. When you are humping gear with the grunts sprint time has little to do with it, cardio and mental attitude have everything to do with it. We often had Corpsmen that would hump gear with us. Even though their load was maybe a bit lighter, it was the best way to keep an eye on guys and watch for dehydration and/or heat stroke signs.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Roger, I hear you guys. I'm still pushing my 2-3 mile runs and more. I've got 4 months left now.
  • sarnold958
    Options
    6:54 mile today after taking 3 weeks off from running but doing other cardio in the gym
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    sarnold958 wrote: »
    6:54 mile today after taking 3 weeks off from running but doing other cardio in the gym

Good job. Being the time keeps going down, I'd keep doing what you are doing unless some of the runner heavy types on here have some solid suggestions.

But from something I've played with lately that might help... If you are doing other cardio in the gym, using machines that monitor HR might be handy. By using the HR monitor on the elliptical machine we have, and watching HR vs work load output (in this case I can display calories/minute on the machine) it's put me much more in touch with when and where to expend the effort on the bike. And it's also helped me understand where the upper limits of my steady state output is for a given period of time.
  • jeromeloresco05
    jeromeloresco05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great job. Unless you're a Corpsman you don't need to worry about humping with heavy gear. It seems like you are doing good on your running and if you'd like follow the link below. It is also available for free download in the app store.

http://www.navyfitness.org/fitness/noffs/
  • sarnold958
    Options
    Great job. Unless you're a Corpsman you don't need to worry about humping with heavy gear. It seems like you are doing good on your running and if you'd like follow the link below. It is also available for free download in the app store.

http://www.navyfitness.org/fitness/noffs/

Funny you say that, that's exactly what I am going for in March. Hoping to earn my FMF billet
  • jeromeloresco05
    jeromeloresco05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's cool. I'm 8404(FMF) and my advice to you if you want to go that route is train. You will be expected to hump 4,6,7,8 miles with light smll bag maybe no more than 20lbs and will go up to 65lbs gradually as you progress. Also you will be running on your boots and uts. So start training with them. keep in mind running on boots are really bad so keep your running on them at a minimum. And I only recommend this to avoid higher risk of injury when you get to school.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Also you will be running on your boots and uts. So start training with them. keep in mind running on boots are really bad so keep your running on them at a minimum..

fwiw my service recommend not trying boot runs until you get to training. We did some research a few years ago on pre training attrition and identified that candidates who did try boot runs before training had a higher injury rate resulting in a higher proportion of either no shows, or early injury related retreading.