How much did you lose before you went down a pants size?

Options

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

You've had lots of replies, and I haven't read them all ...so you prob heard some of this, but here goes !

I started in a tight 16/ 18. I'm now in comfy 8s. Have lost just under 60 lbs. typically, cause yes, I've done the lose and gain thing in the past ( NEVER again! I declare). ..takes 20 lbs for me to lose a size.

Do the math. Not this time.
    The difference?? STRENGTH TRAINING

that has been the difference maker. If you are not doing it .... I STRONGLY encourage you to pick up the barbell : )

Also do the math: I started at 236. I'm 5'4. So I'm SMALLER at a higher weight. I'm routinely guessed @ weighing 30 lbs less than I do. STRENGTH TRAINING : )

Good luck!

Jen
  • daisyseeker80
    daisyseeker80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome analogy. I'm going to remember that one. Great loss, by the way. Wow! :happy:
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    It was 20 lbs for me to be able to fit into a size smaller. I think it depends on you height and body structure as well though. :)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    None.

I lost 10 pant sizes before I lost a single pound. How? I'd been lifting weights (heavy weights) and eating right. The weight is finally starting to come off, but the fat started burning before that.

... talk about frustrating.

How is that frustrating ?? You lost TEN pant sizes. That is EXCELLENT in my book !
  • portofmorrow
    portofmorrow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs and went down two pants sizes. I went from a size 11/12 to a size 9/10.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I was in an 18 and just got to a 14 before getting pregnant... like literally, the week or two before I found out.. darn... but I lost 24 lbs.
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My beginning weight on my journey was 275lbs. Since then I've lost 40 pounds and have only gone down 1 pants size. I was a tight 20, and now I'm a loose 18.

I'm very bottom heavy which frustrates me. I have large hips and thighs and a small waist...so I tend to have to go a size bigger just to button up.

Just feeling a little discouraged and wanting to know if anyone else has gone through this too.

The problem with being a woman is when we lose weight it comes from many places. Not just our *kitten* and thighs but also our boobs and arms and and and. So we have a lot of extra places the fat gets stored. We have to drop a lot of weight before we even notice a pants size reduction. It sucks. Last time I lost the weight I think it was close to 40 lbs before i dropped a size in my jeans! =( The smaller the person the less they have to drop, but like me the bigger you are the more weight you have to lose before you start noticing it in your waist and thighs unless you are specifically doing exercises to target those areas.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Well, in the beginning, i was in plus sizes. It took me 35 lbs to drop my first size. This was probably because my jeans were tight starting off. I would say, on average, it took me 25-30 lbs to go down a plus size. But, once i hit a size 12 it went much faster. I'm in an 8 now comfortably and i think its more like 10 lbs now.
  • mystmaker143
    Options
    in late 2008 early 2009, i had been working out on the elliptical thirty minutes a day, the wii fit at least 30 minutes yoga and strength training and boxing on the wii fit for a few months and I went from a tight fitting 18 to a 10/12 (before I got pregnant). I also was big on doing stomach crunches when I could and I got pretty good at doing the jack knife exercise on the wii fit. I had only dropped twenty to thirty pounds but my body was really toned especially my hips and legs. Now after having two kids and dropping thirty pounds in two months I just have been doing the treadmill for 17 minutes a day, everyday and my pants size 18 are fitting looser. i just started the wii fit again and I can already fill my muscles getting toned again and this time around I'm really trying to eat right.. I was doing weight watchers on my own though those years ago. I recommend the wii fit because it worked before for me and I think it will again. Nothing like trying to do the chair yoga pose and feeling your muscles straining or the planks and feeling like your arms are going to go limp! lol
  • gorretti77
    Options
    I went from 292 to 252 (40 lbs.) and went from 24W to 16W. But I was working out like crazy. I did weights, treadmill, elliptical. stationary bike, and walked 20 minutes just as a warm up. SO I guess exercise reduces the clothe sizes. weight loss does not reflect that quickly on dress size.:smile:
  • Barefoot115
    Barefoot115 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just went from a 16 to a 14 after losing 20 lbs. It is always different for me. A few years ago I lost 40 lbs and went from a 16 to a 10 and maintained, but I kept up the exercise for many years.
  • jodsap
    jodsap Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honest to god, it's all about the pants... the styles, the brand, the type... all of it. I am currently wearing a 16,14 and 12 in all different styles and brands. Try it!
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have lost 24 lbs and I went from a -I have to convert sizes because I went from a size 34 to 29 (inches in waist, i think it is) which According to internet is US size 14 to 8 in jeans :wink:
  • estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    this is kind of depressing reading all this.. I am very pear shaped, bottom heavy. I only have 25 pounds to lose, as I feel that my shape will never be built for being 9st, my goal is to get to 10st (I blame my nana's genetics).

Most of the posts are saying that people have only dropped a pant size after 25-30lbs, thats my entire goal, and I was hoping to be at least two-three sizes smaller (a size 10 uk, I am currently a size 16uk). I have lost 9 pounds since January (4lbs since mid-May, on MFP). My size 16 trousers are gaping in the stomach/waist area, but my thighs are still too big for me to drop a size! I am wondering if I will ever be my ideal clothing size based on what seems to be very a convincing majority of results here!
  • allisonrinkel
    allisonrinkel Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have gone through this too. I finally went down a pant size after about 15lbs lost.
    I have last about 50lbs and am now down from a size 16 to an 8! I'm not tooooo concerned about pant size though, I don't need to be a size 2, I just want to lose some more fat and feel healthy and fit. I hope you don't get down on yourself too much, because you're doing great!!
  • shierrarobin
    shierrarobin Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure since I started out a 16 and didn't buy news pants till I lost 30 lbs, but I'm assuming I lost 1 pants size every 10 lbs because I have lost about 42-48 lbs and I can squeeze into a size 10 dress and size 11 pants.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Only lost about 20 pounds but I'm down 3 pant sizes. God bless dem muscles.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have lost 102lb all together. I was a UK 20-22 depending on the store. I lost about 30lb before i went down to a solid 18 then a further 20lb to get into a 16 but when i got down to a 16 the sizes seemed to go down quicker as i am now a UK 8-10 in pants. I am a classic pear so my hips, *kitten* and thighs were real problem areas for me. Other thing to remember as i got smaller exercise got easier and i could do more intense workouts.

My biggest helpful hint for other fellow bottom heavy girls is squats. Squats with weight, Lots of reps as heavy as you can. I do 100 squats with a 10kg kettle bell 5 times a day now, I first started out doing the 30 day squat challenge and My gawd!!! i felt like i was gunna die after doing 30 without weight. Sitting down to pee was agony! But looking back now it was all well worth it as now i am a better runner because my legs are so much stronger and they no longer wobble! You can actually see muscle def although i have some lose skin around my knees that makes me unhappy its a small price to pay for letting myself get the way i was. So yeah i cant wear short shorts and short dresses and skirts still, but hey ho! I can run like a mo fo and squat/lunge for fun. Stick with it, i know how hard it is and how disheartening it can be when the clothes sizes are not dropping at the speed you would like, during this period for me i have fallen off the wagon 3 times and put weight back on. It gets quicker and easier once you get down to a uk16 in my honest opinion. Just don't forget to up the auntie as u shrink, you will be amazed how much harder you can push your body once you have taken some of the pressure off it.

Good luck, you will get there!!!! Lifting weight and good diet = impressive inch loss and less wobble!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are, the more pounds you have to lose to drop a size. It took 30 pounds for me to drop a size.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Honestly, for me I was losing inches before I lost any weight. I've had to buy "new" work pants twice since I started at a different job in February. And I need to go shopping when I get paid tomorrow, lol.

I started around a 16 pant size (USA), and I'm pretty much 20 pounds lighter and am in a loose 14. A 12 is too tight for me (BOO), a 13 doesn't fit right all around, but a 14 is too big. So Idk! LOL.

All I know is that I need to finally get a smaller belt. I bought an XL at Hot Topic just to be on the safe side. Can't wait until I can brag about using a medium!

For me, it's been about 10 pounds per pant size.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!