Why am I not losing?

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
Eating about 1500-2000 calories a day and was doing about an hour cardio (roughly 700 calories burned) and weight lifting 5 days a week. I did this for about this December-March and lost 20 pounds. Since March, I have been losing extremely slow. I took a break in May but started back up June 1st. 1500-2000ish calories a day and just started the 30 day shred on Monday and am not doing the usual cardio/lifting, just the 30 day shred. And by slow I mean like little to no progress since late March. >.< Someone please halp
Oh my BMR is 1,991 and my TDEE is roughly 2,980 calories
Weight: 259
Height: 5'8
Female
20 years

Replies

• AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the reason might be as to why you aren't loosing, but I can explain what happened to me.

I was eating at my BMR for a while and lost weight, very slowly, but some of it did come off. I plateaued for a while, even though nothing changed( i did vary my workouts too). I decided to lower my cals, and ever since then, the weight has been coming off. I find my body does very well eating the 1200-1400 cals. Im not saying you should try that or that it will or wont work. But, sometimes you have to alter a few things to kick start the weight loss! Good luck!!
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell. Your food diary is not very consistent.(days missing, etc) And there are quite a few days where you're quite "into the red" on calories. Hard to tell whether they're "balanced out" with the days that you're in the green.

Log EVERYTHING and make sure you're targeting your calories. Not too little, not to much. BE CONSISTENT.

If you're not giving yourself GOOD DATA on what you're doing, then it will be much harder to figure out why you aren't making the progress you want to see.
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's hard to identify the problem with your desired weight loss because your calories aren't constant. 1500-2000 is a wide range to truly know what caloric intake you're intaking for the week. Be more consistent on your calorie counting. As for cardio it seems like your are doing a good amount. The case may be calories are to high.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Not every day will be perfect, but the more days of 1500 to 1800 calorie days, the better. You mentioned not loosing weight, but you didn't mention to us what your start and present waist, hip, leg, etc. body measurements. Sometimes it's hard to measure true weight loss if you lifting lots of weights often. Muscle weight's more than fat. If you were to quit lifting, you might be surprise to see the number on the scales go down. But it's not about the number is it?

Is your diet mostly veggies and fruit? Or do you hamburgers and fries more often than not. Key is to eat more of the good stuff every chance you get. If the bad food days dominate the good food days, you won't go anywhere.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be eating less than 2,000. I would actually recommend 2,200 to help you remain consistent and prevent binging.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    If you ate 20% less than your TDEE, you need to be ingesting roughly 2300 [minus earned calories from exercise. Don't even worry over calories burned anymore. It's included in your TDEE, remember?]

Unless you have a HRM, the number of calories you burn in a day may not be entirely accurate...especially if you go by MFP estimates.

Are you weighing/measuring your food? Avoiding processed/prepackaged crap food 80% of the time?

From what others say, you haven't been very consistent with logging/eating within your goal range. You already know this. Just work on it.

:) Good luck.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Eating about 1500-2000 calories a day and was doing about an hour cardio (roughly 700 calories burned) and weight lifting 5 days a week. I did this for about this December-March and lost 20 pounds. Since March, I have been losing extremely slow. I took a break in May but started back up June 1st. 1500-2000ish calories a day and just started the 30 day shred on Monday and am not doing the usual cardio/lifting, just the 30 day shred. And by slow I mean like little to no progress since late March. >.< Someone please halp
    Oh my BMR is 1,991 and my TDEE is roughly 2,980 calories
    Weight: 259
    Height: 5'8
    Female
    20 years

Your sodium intake is high often from the couple weeks I saw. For me I've noticed that if I have too much sodium, then I tend to retain a lot of water weight so that could be contributing as well as the days you went over your calorie limit.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    By the way, I did 30 day shred and didn't loose weight after just 30 days. But I was totally stronger and better cardio! Maybe switch out your exercise routine and try different things too. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    If you ate 20% less than your TDEE, you need to be ingesting roughly 2300 [minus earned calories from exercise. Don't even worry over calories burned anymore. It's included in your TDEE, remember?]

Unless you have a HRM, the number of calories you burn in a day may not be entirely accurate...especially if you go by MFP estimates.

Are you weighing/measuring your food? Avoiding processed/prepackaged crap food 80% of the time?

From what others say, you haven't been very consistent with logging/eating within your goal range. You already know this. Just work on it.

I purchased a digital food scale and was blown away how much more I was eating than I thought.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    Totally peeked through your diary through the last 3 days. You eat fast food once, sometimes twice a day. Junk food is consistently nonstop as well.

...What do you expect with that sort of food? Like, I'm not saying give up fast food. It's all about moderation, though.

Incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Prepare more food at home. When eating out, choose the healthier options. So on and so forth.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I purchased a digital food scale and was blown away how much more I was eating than I thought.

The scale is invaluable.

Also, OP, if you're going by MFP for cardio burn, it's probably over-estimating.
  • whierd
    Options
    Totally peeked through your diary through the last 3 days. You eat fast food once, sometimes twice a day. Junk food is consistently nonstop as well.

...What do you expect with that sort of food? Like, I'm not saying give up fast food. It's all about moderation, though.

Incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Prepare more food at home. When eating out, choose the healthier options. So on and so forth.

I lost my 30lbs eating fast food 3x per day while travelling.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

The scale is invaluable.

Also, OP, if you're going by MFP for cardio burn, it's probably over-estimating.

^ All of the above
  • PepperWorm
    Options

All burgers, fries, dressings, condiments, potato cakes and pizza, too?

I looked further back. Nearly EVERY DAY is a trend of the same foods above.

I eat out a fair amount. I most definitely wouldn't be upset about no weight loss if I lived on cheeseburgers though. Just sayin'.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options

This.
  • whierd
    Options

I eat out a fair amount. I most definitely wouldn't be upset about no weight loss if I lived on cheeseburgers though. Just sayin'.

All that? No, but fries and grilled chicken sandwiches daily, and pizza twice per week.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You can't trust the calorie estimates of fast food restaurants. Have it occasionally - even once or twice a week is probably fine. But every day and you really have no idea how many calories you're consuming.

VIDEO: The Truth Behind Calorie Labels - http://youtu.be/hE2lna5Wxuo
  • PepperWorm
    Options

All that? No, but fries and grilled chicken sandwiches daily, and pizza twice per week.

Thus my point.

Nothing is inherently wrong with fast food. The choices you make/portion sizes are a different story.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Agreed - too much sodium.
    Agreed - too much fast food. You need more whole foods - try adding a couple of fruits a day, then some veggies...fast food is full of preservatives and nothing good for you. Its OK for once in a while but everyday? If you have a hard time finding time to cook or just don't want to - they have salads and things you can eat with your burger. This makes me sad - reminds me of how I ate when I was in high school...and it didn't do me a bit of good.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    You can't trust the calorie estimates of fast food restaurants. Have it occasionally - even once or twice a week is probably fine. But every day and you really have no idea how many calories you're consuming.

VIDEO: The Truth Behind Calorie Labels - http://youtu.be/hE2lna5Wxuo

Unconvinced.

The discrepancies were by 1-200 calories on some. The chipotle site is going by a 'serving size,' which is impossible to enforce on the employees making rough guesstimates. The tofu sandwich was kind of a given. It was SLAM PACKED with the stuff. Does the package suggest a serving size in grams? If the guy took the time to weigh it (or even eyeball it), he'd know that 224 calories isn't even realistic. Hell, whole wheat bread is 140 calories for 2 slices (or mine is on average). The sandwich would be fine if he ate half of it.

I don't think the differences were that life altering. If there were more samples and an average taken from the totals, I'd be in.