Why am I not losing?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A calorie is NOT just a calorie, you should find a new dietician with recent updated training. Do you think if you ate nothing but cake every day, but you only ate 2300 calories of cake, that you should lose weight? Absolutely not, your body needs healthy ratios of fat/protein/carbs in order to lose weight successfully. You MUST stick to your ratios or you won't lose the weight you want to lose!
    Guess again. Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, caloric deficit is king:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite part is the implication that sodium prevents fat loss. For months at a time. Either that or you've lost 25 pounds of fat but are somehow retaining that much water because of sodium. Do people think that water retention caused by sodium is cumulative or something?

higher sodium content generally comes from more calorie dense and nutritient poor foods (fast food). I also know on a personal level on days I eat higher sodium i am puffier (and heavier) the following day or so and require more water and better food choices for a few days. If eating high sodium on MULTIPLE days I assume it would be multiple days worth of puffiness and heavier weight.
    Since March.
    Have you looked at her food log?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite part is the implication that sodium prevents fat loss. For months at a time. Either that or you've lost 25 pounds of fat but are somehow retaining that much water because of sodium. Do people think that water retention caused by sodium is cumulative or something?

higher sodium content generally comes from more calorie dense and nutritient poor foods (fast food). I also know on a personal level on days I eat higher sodium i am puffier (and heavier) the following day or so and require more water and better food choices for a few days. If eating high sodium on MULTIPLE days I assume it would be multiple days worth of puffiness and heavier weight.
    Since March.
    Have you ever known anyone to gain 20, 50, or 100 lbs of water weight from sodium consumption?
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    OP how about you just try to make some of the changes everybody is suggesting and if it doesn't work then come back here and tell everybody "I told you so". Portion control is very important and you can't always trust the fast food nutritional facts.Good job on losing those 20 pounds, that was probably your body's way of reacting to less food.Since you are at a standstill, I would cut 100 calories a day from your diet and see what that does.if it does nothing, try cutting another 100.You can easily do that by omitting the mayo and cheese...or go from a large fry to a small instead.I would also give up sodas all together and maybe have one once in a big while.Soda used to make me feel extremely bloated and I bet if you just gave up that one thing you would see a drop.Good luck.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Grinds my gears that people say I am not logging everything I eat. Because I dooooo if I didn't why would I have a weekend day with 2.8k calories, way over my limit? If I really wanted to lie about what I was eating I wouldn't have logged me eating at a steakhouse last week. ^_^ I wouldn't log my hot Cheetos or my burgers and fries either lol think about it really. It's summer and I wake up at 4PM on some days eat a big dinner for breakfast lunch that I I didn't eat, I will go to a steakhouse and eat a 2k calorie meal go home exercise, go about with my day and night, and not eat again up until the next day. If I really wanted to lie I wouldn't be posting all these burgers and fries and pizza lol sure its not as nutritious but I try and keep my calories under control. Some days I go over, hell ya, but if its over its usually 100 calories or so, not including some weekends lol even so I will go over like 800 calories putting me at 2.8k. But this isn't an every day problem. Sure the fast food is and some of you may not understand but yes my parents are lazy *kitten* Americans that work Monday-Friday 7am-6Pm and just want a quick and easy meal. I can cook but there is no food to cook the last week and a half of the month! :D they rather go out to eat than give me money to buy groceries, yes they are that kind of people. :D either way though, I log what I eat, when I eat to best as MFP and nutrional labels can. If I was lying I would try and put a little more effort into it at least ^_^

Btw- I don't think sodium makes u retain weight for months lol it makes me fluctuate sometimes but yeaaaaaaa.

And I think I need to lower my calorie intake again even though I had hired it because people said I wasn't losing because I was eating too little before. ~_~ trial and error. I will cook home food when my parents buy mor groceries, I scavenged today to make a soup lol I will try my best to eat more at home but I really can't until my parents decide to go shop again which is usually at the first f the month. Right now I have 1 loaf of moldy bread, 1 loaf of hard bread. Chicken legs, umm ham. Onions. A tooooon of pasta goods but no ingredients to make. Some chips and tomatoes..... Oh and frozen corn dogs. I have a hard time getting parents to buy healthy food cuz it's expensive lol
  • TMcChamp
    Options

Since March.
    Have you ever known anyone to gain 20, 50, or 100 lbs of water weight from sodium consumption?
    when you look at the source of the sodium, yes, I have known ppl to gain excess amounts of weight from fast food which is high in sodium.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Grinds my gears that people say I am not logging everything I eat. Because I dooooo if I didn't why would I have a weekend day with 2.8k calories, way over my limit? If I really wanted to lie about what I was eating I wouldn't have logged me eating at a steakhouse last week. ^_^ I wouldn't log my hot Cheetos or my burgers and fries either lol think about it really. It's summer and I wake up at 4PM on some days eat a big dinner for breakfast lunch that I I didn't eat, I will go to a steakhouse and eat a 2k calorie meal go home exercise, go about with my day and night, and not eat again up until the next day. If I really wanted to lie I wouldn't be posting all these burgers and fries and pizza lol sure its not as nutritious but I try and keep my calories under control. Some days I go over, hell ya, but if its over its usually 100 calories or so, not including some weekends lol even so I will go over like 800 calories putting me at 2.8k. But this isn't an every day problem. Sure the fast food is and some of you may not understand but yes my parents are lazy *kitten* Americans that work Monday-Friday 7am-6Pm and just want a quick and easy meal. I can cook but there is no food to cook the last week and a half of the month! :D they rather go out to eat than give me money to buy groceries, yes they are that kind of people. :D either way though, I log what I eat, when I eat to best as MFP and nutrional labels can. If I was lying I would try and put a little more effort into it at least ^_^

Btw- I don't think sodium makes u retain weight for months lol it makes me fluctuate sometimes but yeaaaaaaa.

You've said you dont log accurately, that you just go "close enough". You're not doing yourself any favours. You may not be lying - ie not putting in what you really eat, but your doing yourself a disservice not logging accurately.
    And again, you're 20. You cant be 100% reliant on your parents for food. Take the $$ you spend on fast food and buy yourself some groceries.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you have pretty hair
  • hiyomi
    Options
    you have pretty hair

I love you. :D<3
  • hiyomi
    Options

You've said you dont log accurately, that you just go "close enough". You're not doing yourself any favours. You may not be lying - ie not putting in what you really eat, but your doing yourself a disservice not logging accurately.
    And again, you're 20. You cant be 100% reliant on your parents for food. Take the $$ you spend on fast food and buy yourself some groceries.

Honestly no one here is 100% accurate, do you want me to believe I'm 100% accurate when logging everything? People say I lie, people say mfp lies and people say nutrional tables on food lie...........how can I be 100% accurate lol if you want me to be more accurate I count my chips if that helps. I don't count sesame seeds on a bun though lol :P
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Honestly no one here is 100% accurate, do you want me to believe I'm 100% accurate when logging everything? People say I lie, people say mfp lies and people say nutrional tables on food lie...........how can I be 100% accurate lol

You said you put in a Little Caesars pizza instead of your homemade. That isn't a minor inaccuracy, that's two completely different things. You said you often just pick the fast food thing rather than logging what's actually going in your mouth. Honey, if you aren't willing to make the effort or take the advice, don't expect a damn thing to change.
  • hiyomi
    Options

Honestly no one here is 100% accurate, do you want me to believe I'm 100% accurate when logging everything? People say I lie, people say mfp lies and people say nutrional tables on food lie...........how can I be 100% accurate lol

You said you put in a Little Caesars pizza instead of your homemade. That isn't a minor inaccuracy, that's two completely different things. You said you often just pick the fast food thing rather than logging what's actually going in your mouth. Honey, if you aren't willing to make the effort or take the advice, don't expect a damn thing to change.

I'm very sure Frozen pizza and little Caesars have a huuuuge nutritional difference if that's what you are saying. One whole damn slice. Oh and I never said homemade, I said baked lol :P
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be eating less than 2,000. I would actually recommend 2,200 to help you remain consistent and prevent binging.

This ^

Your BMR is the amount of calories burned when you do NOTHING. So your body needs at least that number of calories to function properly.

Yes, you may have lost a lot when you first started but you were 20lb's heavier then and your new way of eating/exercising was all new to your body. Try mixing up your exercise schedule a bit and possibly yoyoing your calorie intake (one day have 2000, one day have 2600, one day have 2300 etc as long as every day is over your BMR and your total at the end of the week equals your goal calorie intake) this might just shake your body into action..

Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly no one here is 100% accurate, do you want me to believe I'm 100% accurate when logging everything? People say I lie, people say mfp lies and people say nutrional tables on food lie...........how can I be 100% accurate lol if you want me to be more accurate I count my chips if that helps. I don't count sesame seeds on a bun though lol :P
    Calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. You're not losing weight, so you're not in a calorie deficit - simple as that. I'm not accusing you of lying, miscounting, logging wrong or anything else, simply stating the obvious. The answer is simple - to lose weight, you need to make your expenditure greater than your intake, whether that be through increasing exercise or decreasing intake.

Many people have offered advice. Some have been right, some have been way off-base. The bottom line is that you're not in a caloric deficit, for whatever reason, and you won't lose weight until you are. From there, it's up to you to overcome the obstacles in front of you and do whatever it takes.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Grinds my gears that people say I am not logging everything I eat.

Because you're not. huh, I wonder why we would think that?
    OH, and one more very important thing, sometimes I just log calories as fast food because its already there and I am too lazy to search for the actual one. I usually go by calories/sodium more than anything else. On weekends I admit I eat fast food quite often, but some days on there I swear lol I just log them because they are close to accurate. I actually baked a pizza hear at home today but in diary it says "Little Caesars" lol [/b]

Some days I go over, hell ya, but if its over its usually 100 calories or so, not including some weekends lol even so I will go over like 800 calories putting me at 2.8k. But this isn't an every day problem.

Saturday, June 8 - Over 571 calories
    Sunday, June 9 - Over 1,199 calories
    Thursday, June 13 - No logging at all.
    Friday, June 14 - Over 785 calories. And no other meals logged.
    Saturday June 15 - Over 1,163 calories
    Sunday June 16 - Over 305 calories
    Tuesday June 18 - Over 335 calories

It's not an everyday problem... but when it is a problem, it's a PROBLEM. And it's bigger than you think it is.

Sure, you're under on other days. You're feeding your body JUNK, and you're expecting results. Well, you're getting JUNK results.

I suppose if you ate lead... you'd expect to *kitten* gold? That's not the way it works.
  • Alatariel75
    Options

I'm very sure Frozen pizza and little Caesars have a huuuuge nutritional difference if that's what you are saying. One whole damn slice. Oh and I never said homemade, I said baked lol :P

Wow, ok. I get that some people got up you, but I wasn't one of them. You asked for advice. I gave it. Now your just being snarky. Have a nice day and enjoy staying the weight you are and snuggling your excuses.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Grinds my gears that people say I am not logging everything I eat.

Because you're not. huh, I wonder why we would think that?
    OH, and one more very important thing, sometimes I just log calories as fast food because its already there and I am too lazy to search for the actual one. I usually go by calories/sodium more than anything else. On weekends I admit I eat fast food quite often, but some days on there I swear lol I just log them because they are close to accurate. I actually baked a pizza hear at home today but in diary it says "Little Caesars" lol [/b]

Some days I go over, hell ya, but if its over its usually 100 calories or so, not including some weekends lol even so I will go over like 800 calories putting me at 2.8k. But this isn't an every day problem.

Saturday, June 8 - Over 571 calories
    Sunday, June 9 - Over 1,199 calories
    Thursday, June 13 - No logging at all.
    Friday, June 14 - Over 785 calories. And no other meals logged.
    Saturday June 15 - Over 1,163 calories
    Sunday June 16 - Over 305 calories
    Tuesday June 18 - Over 335 calories

It's not an everyday problem... but when it is a problem, it's a PROBLEM. And it's bigger than you think it is.

Sure, you're under on other days. You're feeding your body JUNK, and you're expecting results. Well, you're getting JUNK results.

I suppose if you ate lead... you'd expect to *kitten* gold? That's not the way it works.

Sooo should I listen to people telling me to eat more or less? lol because someone else just said to eat more....
  • hiyomi
    Options

Wow, ok. I get that some people got up you, but I wasn't one of them. You asked for advice. I gave it. Now your just being snarky. Have a nice day and enjoy staying the weight you are and snuggling your excuses.

No hard feelings, and yes a few people did get to me. ^_^
  • TMcChamp
    Options
    Perhaps try eating 5-6 times a day, healthier choices, without going so far over calories with one meal and not eating for hours again.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to step back and look at this as if it were someone else, not you.

You're not eating well, but that doesn't need to be a huge drama if you're eating consistently at the accurate calorie level. You're not. And you're not getting results.

Reset. Eat at TDEE - 20% and don't eat back exercise calories.

DRINK WATER. It scares me with all that sodium and no water!

And hang in there. It's a journey, not an instantaneous thing. If it's not working, change something. If that doesn't work, alter something else.

There is some supersnarkiness on here and I understand why you've gotten your back up, but there are nuggets of golden truth in it too, so read it objectively and try things.

You can do this x