Why am I not losing?

Options

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Okaaaay final question it seems I'm being hated on for going over my calories. But now some are telling me to eat more. Which is obviously above my daily goals. Which is it? Really please :/ my BMR is 1,991 and tdee 2.8k
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Okaaaay final question it seems I'm being hated on for going over my calories. But now some are telling me to eat more. Which is obviously above my daily goals. Which is it? Really please :/ my BMR is 1,991 and tdee 2.8k

At TDEE 2.8k you should be eating about 2250
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try eating 5-6 times a day, healthier choices, without going so far over calories with one meal and not eating for hours again.
    Meal timing is completely irrelevant in regards to weight loss, calories being equal.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    I think you just need to step back and look at this as if it were someone else, not you.

You're not eating well, but that doesn't need to be a huge drama if you're eating consistently at the accurate calorie level. You're not. And you're not getting results.

Reset. Eat at TDEE - 20% and don't eat back exercise calories.

DRINK WATER. It scares me with all that sodium and no water!

And hang in there. It's a journey, not an instantaneous thing. If it's not working, change something. If that doesn't work, alter something else.

There is some supersnarkiness on here and I understand why you've gotten your back up, but there are nuggets of golden truth in it too, so read it objectively and try things.

You can do this x

I love your post thanks. Very true to both sides, and someone who can see why I would get defensive. ^_^ I tried exercising more, eating less back in April/may. 1600 calories a day on most days and 5 days a week of cardio and lost about a pound in 2 months lol people said I needed to eat more so I am, but now its looking as if I need to eat less again. ~_~ I should really just do the twinkie diet lol -^_^
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to step back and look at this as if it were someone else, not you.

You're not eating well, but that doesn't need to be a huge drama if you're eating consistently at the accurate calorie level. You're not. And you're not getting results.

Reset. Eat at TDEE - 20% and don't eat back exercise calories.

DRINK WATER. It scares me with all that sodium and no water!

And hang in there. It's a journey, not an instantaneous thing. If it's not working, change something. If that doesn't work, alter something else.

There is some supersnarkiness on here and I understand why you've gotten your back up, but there are nuggets of golden truth in it too, so read it objectively and try things.

You can do this x

I love your post thanks. Very true to both sides, and someone who can see why I would get defensive. ^_^ I tried exercising more, eating less back in April/may. 1600 calories a day on most days and 5 days a week of cardio and lost about a pound in 2 months lol people said I needed to eat more so I am, but now its looking as if I need to eat less again. ~_~ I should really just do the twinkie diet lol -^_^

No no, def not less.
    I'm 5 foot 9 and I weigh 194 lb / 87 kg and work out 3 times a week atm, and I eat 1800. You need to eat more than that - we're roughly the same height but your TDEE and BMR are higher. My BMR is about 1650 and my TDEE is around 2300 but in a heavier sport week it's up around 2600
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sooo should I listen to people telling me to eat more or less? lol because someone else just said to eat more....

You should start by just eating CONSISTENTLY.

And make better CHOICES.

You *could* offer to go grocery shopping in the middle of the month, so that your family doesn't have to resort to fast food.
  • countrygal92
    Options
    i beleive its the calorie intake as you can see im at a little over 2400 calories a day also start weight of 278 pounds now down to 262.8 i stay within my calories and sometimes not exact however i am never 150 over or below them and i workout daily whether its walking or cardio i do cardio about strength training about 4 days a week and give myself 3 days to rest ive lost about 15 lbs in the last 3 weeks and honestly i dont always eat healthy but if you want a tip that helped me kickstart my wieght loss i drink a 24 oz real strawberry banana protien shake everyday i make em at home using whey protien from the walmart and thats what helped me id give it a try because it also helped my husbend kickstart to. just some freindly advice
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Sooo should I listen to people telling me to eat more or less? lol because someone else just said to eat more....

You should start by just eating CONSISTENTLY.

And make better CHOICES.

You *could* offer to go grocery shopping in the middle of the month, so that your family doesn't have to resort to fast food.

I do offer, but I said earlier idk if you saw. They are the type of people that rather go out and they really have always been this way. I guess you could call it a mild addiction? lol their life is work/movies/fast food. Don't get me wrong they will let me go buy stuff sometimes but it's not an all the time thing >_< even if I did though, they will go eat out still ~_~ I try to stay in as long as there are decent meals at home to make.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Honestly no one here is 100% accurate, do you want me to believe I'm 100% accurate when logging everything? People say I lie, people say mfp lies and people say nutrional tables on food lie...........how can I be 100% accurate lol if you want me to be more accurate I count my chips if that helps. I don't count sesame seeds on a bun though lol :P
    Calorie deficit is what creates weight loss. You're not losing weight, so you're not in a calorie deficit - simple as that. I'm not accusing you of lying, miscounting, logging wrong or anything else, simply stating the obvious. The answer is simple - to lose weight, you need to make your expenditure greater than your intake, whether that be through increasing exercise or decreasing intake.

Many people have offered advice. Some have been right, some have been way off-base. The bottom line is that you're not in a caloric deficit, for whatever reason, and you won't lose weight until you are. From there, it's up to you to overcome the obstacles in front of you and do whatever it takes.

I dont necassarily agree with this comment, I have lost 28lb's doing exactly the same as what i am doing now but I havent lost any weight in almost a month.. I eat a deficit almost everyday (and the days I go over even out by the end of the week..) my body has just adjusted to my new eating/exercise regime so I need to shake it up..

You could however be right - it is very easy to guestimate a portion when weighing it brings a totally different calorific intake!
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Grinds my gears that people say I am not logging everything I eat.

Because you're not. huh, I wonder why we would think that?
    OH, and one more very important thing, sometimes I just log calories as fast food because its already there and I am too lazy to search for the actual one. I usually go by calories/sodium more than anything else. On weekends I admit I eat fast food quite often, but some days on there I swear lol I just log them because they are close to accurate. I actually baked a pizza hear at home today but in diary it says "Little Caesars" lol [/b]

Some days I go over, hell ya, but if its over its usually 100 calories or so, not including some weekends lol even so I will go over like 800 calories putting me at 2.8k. But this isn't an every day problem.

Saturday, June 8 - Over 571 calories
    Sunday, June 9 - Over 1,199 calories
    Thursday, June 13 - No logging at all.
    Friday, June 14 - Over 785 calories. And no other meals logged.
    Saturday June 15 - Over 1,163 calories
    Sunday June 16 - Over 305 calories
    Tuesday June 18 - Over 335 calories

It's not an everyday problem... but when it is a problem, it's a PROBLEM. And it's bigger than you think it is.

Sure, you're under on other days. You're feeding your body JUNK, and you're expecting results. Well, you're getting JUNK results.

I suppose if you ate lead... you'd expect to *kitten* gold? That's not the way it works.

I said to eat more based on the figures you gave in the original post.. not based on the figures in your diary.. The two appear to be quite different :)
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Grinds my gears that people say I am not logging everything I eat.

Because you're not. huh, I wonder why we would think that?
    OH, and one more very important thing, sometimes I just log calories as fast food because its already there and I am too lazy to search for the actual one. I usually go by calories/sodium more than anything else. On weekends I admit I eat fast food quite often, but some days on there I swear lol I just log them because they are close to accurate. I actually baked a pizza hear at home today but in diary it says "Little Caesars" lol [/b]

Some days I go over, hell ya, but if its over its usually 100 calories or so, not including some weekends lol even so I will go over like 800 calories putting me at 2.8k. But this isn't an every day problem.

Saturday, June 8 - Over 571 calories
    Sunday, June 9 - Over 1,199 calories
    Thursday, June 13 - No logging at all.
    Friday, June 14 - Over 785 calories. And no other meals logged.
    Saturday June 15 - Over 1,163 calories
    Sunday June 16 - Over 305 calories
    Tuesday June 18 - Over 335 calories

It's not an everyday problem... but when it is a problem, it's a PROBLEM. And it's bigger than you think it is.

Sure, you're under on other days. You're feeding your body JUNK, and you're expecting results. Well, you're getting JUNK results.

I suppose if you ate lead... you'd expect to *kitten* gold? That's not the way it works.

I said to eat more based on the figures you gave in the original post.. not based on the figures in your diary.. The two appear to be quite different :)

Ya I didn't quite mention in OP that I have been eating 2k or so lately, on weekends more, lol I tried upping my calories from 1600 since I wasn't losing before. ^_^ so it shows over but idk how to custom set calorie goals, only by inputting the weight u wanna lose a week.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hmmm how about:

#1 Stop blaming your parents for what you eat. You are 20 years old! That means grownup. That means you make your own decisions. If you are not in control of your own finances then ask for allowance to buy groceries for yourself instead of joining them out to eat.. or, le gasp! offer to cook so that when they get home from a long day at work they get a homemade meal and can relax instead of having to go out for food.

#2 Log consistenty and HONESTLY! Its ok to use something similar once in a while, but if you are doing it more than 10% of the time you could just as well not log! There is a bigger difference than you think between various foodstuff.

#3 Keep up with the exercise and focus on health goals instead of scale goals.

People have already told you your intake according to the numbers you gave (ca 2200 cal) so try sticking with that AND logging CORRECTLY!

(on a sidenote, dont call someone who works a long day like that lazy!)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Totally peeked through your diary through the last 3 days. You eat fast food once, sometimes twice a day. Junk food is consistently nonstop as well.

...What do you expect with that sort of food? Like, I'm not saying give up fast food. It's all about moderation, though.

Incorporate more fruits and vegetables. Prepare more food at home. When eating out, choose the healthier options. So on and so forth.

I lost my 30lbs eating fast food 3x per day while travelling.

All burgers, fries, dressings, condiments, potato cakes and pizza, too?

I looked further back. Nearly EVERY DAY is a trend of the same foods above.

I eat out a fair amount. I most definitely wouldn't be upset about no weight loss if I lived on cheeseburgers though. Just sayin'.

It wouldn't matter if the OP was eating a deficit. She would still lose weight. You can lose weight eating whatever you want....just eat less than you burn. You may not feel great or be full after eating but if you have a deficit you will have weight loss.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Grinds my gears that people say I am not logging everything I eat. Because I dooooo if I didn't why would I have a weekend day with 2.8k calories, way over my limit? If I really wanted to lie about what I was eating I wouldn't have logged me eating at a steakhouse last week. ^_^ I wouldn't log my hot Cheetos or my burgers and fries either lol think about it really. It's summer and I wake up at 4PM on some days eat a big dinner for breakfast lunch that I I didn't eat, I will go to a steakhouse and eat a 2k calorie meal go home exercise, go about with my day and night, and not eat again up until the next day. If I really wanted to lie I wouldn't be posting all these burgers and fries and pizza lol sure its not as nutritious but I try and keep my calories under control. Some days I go over, hell ya, but if its over its usually 100 calories or so, not including some weekends lol even so I will go over like 800 calories putting me at 2.8k. But this isn't an every day problem. Sure the fast food is and some of you may not understand but yes my parents are lazy *kitten* Americans that work Monday-Friday 7am-6Pm and just want a quick and easy meal. I can cook but there is no food to cook the last week and a half of the month! :D they rather go out to eat than give me money to buy groceries, yes they are that kind of people. :D either way though, I log what I eat, when I eat to best as MFP and nutrional labels can. If I was lying I would try and put a little more effort into it at least ^_^

Btw- I don't think sodium makes u retain weight for months lol it makes me fluctuate sometimes but yeaaaaaaa.

And I think I need to lower my calorie intake again even though I had hired it because people said I wasn't losing because I was eating too little before. ~_~ trial and error. I will cook home food when my parents buy mor groceries, I scavenged today to make a soup lol I will try my best to eat more at home but I really can't until my parents decide to go shop again which is usually at the first f the month. Right now I have 1 loaf of moldy bread, 1 loaf of hard bread. Chicken legs, umm ham. Onions. A tooooon of pasta goods but no ingredients to make. Some chips and tomatoes..... Oh and frozen corn dogs. I have a hard time getting parents to buy healthy food cuz it's expensive lol
    Why do your parents have to buy your food and dictate what you eat? Have you tried talking to them about your goals. Maybe they would be more supportive than you think. It would be cheaper too, for all of you to cook at hone! And it doesn't have to take a lot of time. I work and so does my hubby (a lot) but we eat out maybe a couple times a month! It's too expensive and Honestly not all that great tasting. I would eat less and def less fast food.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    so you answered your question. You gave your body a mixture of nutrients and crap, and you lost. Now you are just giving it crap, and you aren't losing. I say the work crap, because that's what fast food and junk food is. Little to no nutritional value.

What are your bones reliant on? Calcium. What do you need to absorb calcium? Vitamin D. What helps your skin regenerate? Vitamin E. What do you lose every month in your cycle? Iron. What kills energy levels? Lack of potassium for one.

If you want so fast jump to losing weight, then starve yourself and live off a few fried chips or burgers and use excuses that that is just what university students do. I live away from home, I cook most of my meals from breakfast to dinner. I pack lunches and snacks, I order the healthier options, I allow for chocolate cake and am sure to stay in my allowance.

I am sounding rude and blunt, but there is no way to fluff this up - you're an adult.

Respect your body and you health a bit more

I have the exacccct same diet basically as when I lost the 22 pounds. Junk food and home food, I intensified my exercise too. Also its not easy to cook when there is no food at home~~~~ And I am also in my daily allowance o.O I ate homemade breakfast/lunch/dinner today along with some chips and a frozen pizza, for about 1650 calories.

No, you're not. If you were, you'd be losing. YOU'RE NOT LOSING BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MAINTAINING A DEFICIT.

Log better. Log what you ACTUALLY eat. the right foods, the right portions.

THEN come back and tell us you're not losing weight.

Okay. I'm lying every day about what I eat every day and I do not do cardio and heavy lifting every day. Believe what you like. ^^
    I'm obviously eating 4k calories in a day by eating once slice of pizza that is currently logged on my diary. And obviously I lied about doing my exercise today too and every other day for that matter.

You're either lying to us, or lying to yourself, or both. You've already said in this thread that you don't actually log what you are really putting in your mouth. There's days missing. You have many days that are over your calorie goals. Do you see the pattern yet?

If you were actually, truly, in a deficit (not just making the math add up on MFP) you would be losing weight.

The chorus of voices is loud here: you need to change something, what you're doing is not working. Don't get MAD at us... listen to us. Don't ask us why you're not losing, and then get huffy when we tell you EXACTLY why you're not losing.

That ground beef you cooked? Log it. NOW, go back and dig the package out of the trash, and look at the weight on the package. Does it match what you logged? Yes? GREAT. No? MAKE IT MATCH. Now, do that OVER and OVER.

You're in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" section. That's what you're getting.

The "Oh, honey, you just hang in there, I'm sure you're doing fine" is over in the Motivation and Support section.
    Boom!
  • rachb26
    rachb26 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am new to the forums here but no stranger to the mystery which is 'weight loss' ...lol

Anyway, I have read through this entire thread. And looked at your diary....there is A LOT of processed food in there.

Now yes it is true that a deficit - regardless of what food is eaten - will result in 'weight' loss. However, if all that food is primarily highly processed junk then it can affect you in other ways. For example; a person who eats mainly fast food, would likely be more sluggish, tired, suffer from aches and pains and maybe depressed from the constant highs and lows of sugar crashes. This possibly could mean that person doesn't move around much in general. Most of our TDEE or calories burned, doesn't come through exercise (in most cases) it comes from our daily living ...walking around, working, cooking, cleaning. A person who is sluggish/tired likely would be sitting down for most of the day and in this case - and not burning as many calories as they'd like to think they are! Even MPF will calculate for things like cooking and cleaning on sedentary. I mean you say you get up at 4.00pm in the afternoon? That's a big chunk of the day that's you haven't been moving! Even to go sit at a desk job, your still burning more.

On the other side, a person whose diet primarily consists of fruit, veg, healthy fats and carbs hopefully will maintain a more steady blood sugar level which in turn will make the individual feel better, move more and in turn burn more calories.

So, aside from water retention etc. a calorie is NOT just a calorie. It's a cliche but you are what you eat. Good food choices > increased energy > more calories burned.

And this I can speak from experience....before I went vegetarian I used to live off fast food...I had constant headaches, was always getting/feeling ill. Only 3 - 4 days of cutting out the junk, I felt soooo much better. I moved more and without even trying, started to lose weight. Even now I'm actually trying to lose, I am losing inches and not actual 'weight'. Which is the whole point lol.

My advice to you, is on 1st of the month before your folks go shopping. Speak with them and ask them if YOU can do the monthly shop. Then YOU cook your family evening meal. You can make tasty nutritious meals very cheaply if you buy in bulk. You have plenty of time to plan a simple menu. Not only will your body get more nutrients it needs, you will also be burning more calories preparing the healthy meals! So a nice little bonus!

Anyway good luck :)
  • hiyomi
    Options
    I am new to the forums here but no stranger to the mystery which is 'weight loss' ...lol

Anyway, I have read through this entire thread. And looked at your diary....there is A LOT of processed food in there.

Now yes it is true that a deficit - regardless of what food is eaten - will result in 'weight' loss. However, if all that food is primarily highly processed junk then it can affect you in other ways. For example; a person who eats mainly fast food, would likely be more sluggish, tired, suffer from aches and pains and maybe depressed from the constant highs and lows of sugar crashes. This possibly could mean that person doesn't move around much in general. Most of our TDEE or calories burned, doesn't come through exercise (in most cases) it comes from our daily living ...walking around, working, cooking, cleaning. A person who is sluggish/tired likely would be sitting down for most of the day and in this case - and not burning as many calories as they'd like to think they are! Even MPF will calculate for things like cooking and cleaning on sedentary. I mean you say you get up at 4.00pm in the afternoon? That's a big chunk of the day that's you haven't been moving! Even to go sit at a desk job, your still burning more.

On the other side, a person whose diet primarily consists of fruit, veg, healthy fats and carbs hopefully will maintain a more steady blood sugar level which in turn will make the individual feel better, move more and in turn burn more calories.

So, aside from water retention etc. a calorie is NOT just a calorie. It's a cliche but you are what you eat. Good food choices > increased energy > more calories burned.

And this I can speak from experience....before I went vegetarian I used to live off fast food...I had constant headaches, was always getting/feeling ill. Only 3 - 4 days of cutting out the junk, I felt soooo much better. I moved more and without even trying, started to lose weight. Even now I'm actually trying to lose, I am losing inches and not actual 'weight'. Which is the whole point lol.

My advice to you, is on 1st of the month before your folks go shopping. Speak with them and ask them if YOU can do the monthly shop. Then YOU cook your family evening meal. You can make tasty nutritious meals very cheaply if you buy in bulk. You have plenty of time to plan a simple menu. Not only will your body get more nutrients it needs, you will also be burning more calories preparing the healthy meals! So a nice little bonus!

Anyway good luck :)

I'm really active usually, up at 8AM and mornings and I move alot because my campus is huge. But it's summer right now x.x enjoying it while I can. Example usually I log potato and egg which is homemade as taco cabana taco because I cannot correctly find potatoes that are kinda fried... They aren't deep fried lol but you get it ^_^ last time I went healthy shopping I got this from my mom. Direct quote "go shopping but don't buy healthy food, its too expensive, just buy real food." I can make do with what we get but I would still like healtheirrrr. As for getting sick/depressed or any of the sort, I've never really had a problem with that before. I do alot of moving most of the year with school which is usually Monday-Friday 9AM to mid day or later, not including my daily exercises. Thanks for the help. ^_^ there are things that are hard to find/log and I am not sure what to put at times. This morning I put 2 eggs, and half an order of homemade French fries, which I am not exactly sure is accurate lol it was potato and egg D:

I do shop/cook as long as there is food at home ^_^ I do not always log correctly because some stuff is hard to find lol example: putting tac cabana tacos instead of homemade ones lol

And the sodas, normally I don't drink them unless my boyfriend is here. For the life of me he will not drink diets/teas/water. So sometimes we go out and share drinks because its cheaper but he always wants soda lol
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Eating about 1500-2000 calories a day and was doing about an hour cardio (roughly 700 calories burned) and weight lifting 5 days a week. I did this for about this December-March and lost 20 pounds. Since March, I have been losing extremely slow. I took a break in May but started back up June 1st. 1500-2000ish calories a day and just started the 30 day shred on Monday and am not doing the usual cardio/lifting, just the 30 day shred. And by slow I mean like little to no progress since late March. >.< Someone please halp
    Oh my BMR is 1,991 and my TDEE is roughly 2,980 calories
    Weight: 259
    Height: 5'8
    Female
    20 years

Your BMR and TDEE are extraordinarily high, how do you know those figures are correct, especially the BMR?
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Eating about 1500-2000 calories a day and was doing about an hour cardio (roughly 700 calories burned) and weight lifting 5 days a week. I did this for about this December-March and lost 20 pounds. Since March, I have been losing extremely slow. I took a break in May but started back up June 1st. 1500-2000ish calories a day and just started the 30 day shred on Monday and am not doing the usual cardio/lifting, just the 30 day shred. And by slow I mean like little to no progress since late March. >.< Someone please halp
    Oh my BMR is 1,991 and my TDEE is roughly 2,980 calories
    Weight: 259
    Height: 5'8
    Female
    20 years

Your BMR and TDEE are extraordinarily high, how do you know those figures are correct, especially the BMR?

I am not, but almost all calculators give me around this estimate so far. Idk if it helps but I started at 283 and body fat was at 47%. I re entered my losses and now these are the numbers I get. I've seen alot of people with the same, why is it abnormal?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You're 20, in college and have no job? Not even a summer job? Okay, maybe I'm being judgemental, but staying up all night and sleeping in until 4 PM is kind of counter productive to weight loss.

You said yourself you aren't working as hard as you used to. 30 Day Shred is only like...25 minutes? Most people add cardio or lifting on top of 30 Day Shred to see results. You burn *maybe* 120-200 calories in that 30 minutes.

It sounds like the OP is willing to create excuse after excuse. You are in denial if you honestly think what you are doing is the proper thing. As I've said, fast food is not inherently wrong. But you know in your heart of hearts that a Big Mac isn't doing you any favors over maybe a chicken wrap or a nice salad. A cheeseburger every once in awhile won't kill you.

Just because the dietician told you that a calorie is a calorie doesn't mean that we're giving you the green light to eat the crappiest foods available to you. Just sayin'. And if you're not logging ACCURATELY, you won't get ACCURATE results. That is *technically* lying to your diary and yourself. You can lie to your diary, but you can't lie to your body and it'll show you the results you're going to get, like 'em or not.

This isn't your parents' responsibility. This isn't the dietician's responsibility. This is your responsibility. If you're not willing to put forth 100% of the effort, you will go nowhere.

Instead of getting defensive and prideful, you could always LISTEN to other people around you.