Why am I not losing?

Options

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    so you answered your question. You gave your body a mixture of nutrients and crap, and you lost. Now you are just giving it crap, and you aren't losing. I say the work crap, because that's what fast food and junk food is. Little to no nutritional value.

What are your bones reliant on? Calcium. What do you need to absorb calcium? Vitamin D. What helps your skin regenerate? Vitamin E. What do you lose every month in your cycle? Iron. What kills energy levels? Lack of potassium for one.

If you want so fast jump to losing weight, then starve yourself and live off a few fried chips or burgers and use excuses that that is just what university students do. I live away from home, I cook most of my meals from breakfast to dinner. I pack lunches and snacks, I order the healthier options, I allow for chocolate cake and am sure to stay in my allowance.

I am sounding rude and blunt, but there is no way to fluff this up - you're an adult.

Respect your body and you health a bit more

I have the exacccct same diet basically as when I lost the 22 pounds. Junk food and home food, I intensified my exercise too. Also its not easy to cook when there is no food at home~~~~ And I am also in my daily allowance o.O I ate homemade breakfast/lunch/dinner today along with some chips and a frozen pizza, for about 1650 calories.

No, you're not. If you were, you'd be losing. YOU'RE NOT LOSING BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MAINTAINING A DEFICIT.

Log better. Log what you ACTUALLY eat. the right foods, the right portions.

THEN come back and tell us you're not losing weight.

Okay. I'm lying every day about what I eat every day and I do not do cardio and heavy lifting every day. Believe what you like. ^^
    I'm obviously eating 4k calories in a day by eating once slice of pizza that is currently logged on my diary. And obviously I lied about doing my exercise today too and every other day for that matter.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you have days like
    Friday 14, where you don't eat all day and then eat 2500 calories in dinner, - going over in fats and sugars
    Saturday 15th - where you have 2863 calories in 2 meals - going over in carbs, fat, protein, sodium and sugar
    Sunday 16 - 2 meals and 1 snack to be 305 calories over, going way over in sodium, fat, carbs, sugar,
    Monday 17 - massively over in sodium
    Tuesday 18 - over in calories, carbs, fate, sodium, sugar
    wednesday 19- massively over in sodium, over in fats

I think perhaps yes your fast food and food choice IS affecting your weight loss.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you have days like
    Friday 14, where you don't eat all day and then eat 2500 calories in dinner, - going over in fats and sugars
    Saturday 15th - where you have 2863 calories in 2 meals - going over in carbs, fat, protein, sodium and sugar
    Sunday 16 - 2 meals and 1 snack to be 305 calories over, going way over in sodium, fat, carbs, sugar,

I think perhaps yes your fast food and food choice IS affecting your weight loss.

yeah that is a good perspective.

And just because you log, doesn't mean you log CORRECTLY. What I thought was a small bowl of rice and about 1C turned out to be 2Cups when I properly measured it.

Measure everything properly, use cups/spoons/electric scale.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite part is the implication that sodium prevents fat loss. For months at a time. Either that or you've lost 25 pounds of fat but are somehow retaining that much water because of sodium. Do people think that water retention caused by sodium is cumulative or something?
  • TMcChamp
    Options
    AGREE on measure everything
  • JanAlyssa825
    JanAlyssa825 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do you have any 99 cent stores near you? They actually have a lot of fresh produce for super cheap. Just saw a news story about a guy who went on a diet by only eating things from the 99 cent store and lost 250 pounds: http://rollingout.com/health/papa-joe-aviance-uses-99-cent-store-diet-to-drop-250-pounds/

Maybe you could make a grocery list and help your parents grocery shop. Things like canned tuna, oatmeal, dried fruit and nuts... those won't go bad and will last a long time.

I would guess that the soda and sodium is bloating you. Choose water when you're eating out to save tons of calories! I like soda, too, but I try to make it an occasional treat. I would also guess that you need more fiber to keep things moving, so to speak.

Are you using a heart rate monitor? And weighing your food on a scale? Those two things have been a tremendous help in tracking my calories accurately. :)
  • hiyomi
    Options
    If you have days like

Everything is all very confusing around here. People say I eat too little, then they say I eat too much. Dieticians say a calorie is a calorie and I should be losing but forum posters say it isn't and I shouldn't be losing. Accused of lying about what I eat (Do not mean it at you directly ^^) and what I exercise. Its all very nice. Some people can be very rude (again not aiming this at you) But others can be. I was told before I exercise too much and needed to diet better. Now people are telling me I exercise too little and should eat more/less. I am tired of being accused of lying. If you guys wish to do that, go ahead, because everything I have posted is as accurate as MFP is. I log everything I eat, and exercise every day. Whether its fast food or whole food. Excuse my protein/sodium for not being great but that's usually what happens with fast food. I previously explained why there is a lot of fast food in my family though, if people choose to ignore it, then go ahead.
    For those who wish to trample and say I'm lying then go ahead. I log everything as correctly as I can and try my best to do that.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A wise person one told me "If you only kinda follow the program, you only kinda lose weight"

You've said your diary is inaccurate and you have a "close enough" attitude to logging. So really, you don't know for sure how many calories you are eating. Log properly and accurately and see how you sit. You wouldn't think it, but sometimes homemade is actually more calories than fast food, for various reasons.

Do you spend your own money on fast food? Can you perhaps buy more food? Talk to your parents about giving you money to buy groceries rather than fast food? Noone but a child is totally dependent on their parents for food, and MFP doesn't allow children to join.
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    If you have days like

Everything is all very confusing around here. People say I eat too little, then they say I eat too much. Dieticians say a calorie is a calorie and I should be losing but forum posters say it isn't and I shouldn't be losing. Accused of lying about what I eat (Do not mean it at you directly ^^) and what I exercise. Its all very nice. Some people can be very rude (again not aiming this at you) But others can be. I was told before I exercise too much and needed to diet better. Now people are telling me I exercise too little and should eat more/less. I am tired of being accused of lying. If you guys wish to do that, go ahead, because everything I have posted is as accurate as MFP is. I log everything I eat, and exercise every day. Whether its fast food or whole food. Excuse my protein/sodium for not being great but that's usually what happens with fast food. I previously explained why there is a lot of fast food in my family though, if people choose to ignore it, then go ahead.
    For those who wish to trample and say I'm lying then go ahead.

we didn't say you lied, we are saying that there is a REASON for which you aren't losing, which is 99% that you are ACCIDENTALLY underestimating. The reason some of us can sound hostile/annoyed is that even when we give this advice, people don't listen and get defensive rather than take it on board and utilise it. I am very glad I did in the past listen to the advice about weighing, as you would be amazed by how much smaller a serving is than you would expect.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    so you answered your question. You gave your body a mixture of nutrients and crap, and you lost. Now you are just giving it crap, and you aren't losing. I say the work crap, because that's what fast food and junk food is. Little to no nutritional value.

What are your bones reliant on? Calcium. What do you need to absorb calcium? Vitamin D. What helps your skin regenerate? Vitamin E. What do you lose every month in your cycle? Iron. What kills energy levels? Lack of potassium for one.

If you want so fast jump to losing weight, then starve yourself and live off a few fried chips or burgers and use excuses that that is just what university students do. I live away from home, I cook most of my meals from breakfast to dinner. I pack lunches and snacks, I order the healthier options, I allow for chocolate cake and am sure to stay in my allowance.

I am sounding rude and blunt, but there is no way to fluff this up - you're an adult.

I have the exacccct same diet basically as when I lost the 22 pounds. Junk food and home food, I intensified my exercise too. Also its not easy to cook when there is no food at home~~~~ And I am also in my daily allowance o.O I ate homemade breakfast/lunch/dinner today along with some chips and a frozen pizza, for about 1650 calories.

No, you're not. If you were, you'd be losing. YOU'RE NOT LOSING BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT MAINTAINING A DEFICIT.

Okay. I'm lying every day about what I eat every day and I do not do cardio and heavy lifting every day. Believe what you like. ^^
    I'm obviously eating 4k calories in a day by eating once slice of pizza that is currently logged on my diary. And obviously I lied about doing my exercise today too and every other day for that matter.

You're either lying to us, or lying to yourself, or both. You've already said in this thread that you don't actually log what you are really putting in your mouth. There's days missing. You have many days that are over your calorie goals. Do you see the pattern yet?

If you were actually, truly, in a deficit (not just making the math add up on MFP) you would be losing weight.

The chorus of voices is loud here: you need to change something, what you're doing is not working. Don't get MAD at us... listen to us. Don't ask us why you're not losing, and then get huffy when we tell you EXACTLY why you're not losing.

That ground beef you cooked? Log it. NOW, go back and dig the package out of the trash, and look at the weight on the package. Does it match what you logged? Yes? GREAT. No? MAKE IT MATCH. Now, do that OVER and OVER.

You're in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" section. That's what you're getting.

The "Oh, honey, you just hang in there, I'm sure you're doing fine" is over in the Motivation and Support section.
  • TMcChamp
    Options
    I think my favorite part is the implication that sodium prevents fat loss. For months at a time. Either that or you've lost 25 pounds of fat but are somehow retaining that much water because of sodium. Do people think that water retention caused by sodium is cumulative or something?

higher sodium content generally comes from more calorie dense and nutritient poor foods (fast food). I also know on a personal level on days I eat higher sodium i am puffier (and heavier) the following day or so and require more water and better food choices for a few days. If eating high sodium on MULTIPLE days I assume it would be multiple days worth of puffiness and heavier weight.
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    poster asks why they aren't losing --> told they're eating too much --> OP gets defensive --> again people back up that they need to measure and really be OCD about counting --> poster gets upset --> poster fails at weight loss and thinks that it's natures way and they have no choice.

You have a choice, that is to be really particular with counting, which can only really be done when you cook yourself! If you parents are low on cash but are willing to eat out so much I don't quite understand. I am not from the US so perhaps the pricing there is different, but I find it hard to believe that eating out is cheaper than making salads and cooking some beans and rice with eggs or something.
  • JessHealthKick
    Options

You're either lying to us, or lying to yourself, or both. You've already said in this thread that you don't actually log what you are really putting in your mouth. There's days missing. You have many days that are over your calorie goals. Do you see the pattern yet?

If you were actually, truly, in a deficit (not just making the math add up on MFP) you would be losing weight.

The chorus of voices is loud here: you need to change something, what you're doing is not working. Don't get MAD at us... listen to us. Don't ask us why you're not losing, and then get huffy when we tell you EXACTLY why you're not losing.

That ground beef you cooked? Log it. NOW, go back and dig the package out of the trash, and look at the weight on the package. Does it match what you logged? Yes? GREAT. No? MAKE IT MATCH. Now, do that OVER and OVER.

You're in the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" section. That's what you're getting.

The "Oh, honey, you just hang in there, I'm sure you're doing fine" is over in the Motivation and Support section.

I love you :flowerforyou: :love: :blushing:
  • hiyomi
    Options
    poster asks why they aren't losing --> told they're eating too much --> OP gets defensive --> again people back up that they need to measure and really be OCD about counting --> poster gets upset --> poster fails at weight loss and thinks that it's natures way and they have no choice.

You have a choice, that is to be really particular with counting, which can only really be done when you cook yourself! If you parents are low on cash but are willing to eat out so much I don't quite understand. I am not from the US so perhaps the pricing there is different, but I find it hard to believe that eating out is cheaper than making salads and cooking some beans and rice with eggs or something.

If you look at a few posters, they are directly telling me I am lying. ^_^ You were a bit rude like you said, but I got pissed when someone told me I was lying about everything I post. Scroll up.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

higher sodium content generally comes from more calorie dense and nutritient poor foods (fast food). I also know on a personal level on days I eat higher sodium i am puffier (and heavier) the following day or so and require more water and better food choices for a few days. If eating high sodium on MULTIPLE days I assume it would be multiple days worth of puffiness and heavier weight.
    Since March.
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    And Hyomi, you say you want to be healthy in your goals on your profile. Stop filling your body with crap then. And stop getting off the point and being childish about someone saying you're lying.

Take on the advice, or as another poster said go to the motivation section. You are unintentionally cheating yourself by not logging properly.

/endthread
  • hiyomi
    Options
    Thanks for any help your feed back is appreciated.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I looked at about 6 days of your diary. Fast food everywhere! Lots of bread. Minimal fruit and veg. What you eat is as important as exercise, possibly more so. Have you heard the saying 'you can't out train a bad diet'?

Eating like that will make it much harder to lose weight.
  • angnicolemk
    angnicolemk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A calorie is NOT just a calorie, you should find a new dietician with recent updated training. Do you think if you ate nothing but cake every day, but you only ate 2300 calories of cake, that you should lose weight? Absolutely not, your body needs healthy ratios of fat/protein/carbs in order to lose weight successfully. You MUST stick to your ratios or you won't lose the weight you want to lose!
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    Thanks for any help your feed back is appreciated.

lol sorry I am not trying to be scary... though I guess I am when I speak in English (usually speak foreign language). Just listen to us, don't see it as 'all too hard' and be patient! Logging properly is annoying at first but in time it is actually easy as you get the hang of it :) every meal, every snack, every DRINK, anything that goes in your mouth.

Good luck :)