What Marijuana Does to Your Metabolism

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I find it funny that people still go on about medical marijuana for glaucoma when it does nothing for glaucoma last I saw any medical review.
    I'm perfectly fine with adults doing it because they want to. I find it kind of sad that people have to invent medical properties for it as a means to justify legalizing it to a bunch of people.

Hahaha! That is funny. ::laugh:: Wait, maybe not. :| Unless we're smoking weed. ;)

One thing it does help with is curbing nausea associated with chemotherapy.
    I'm aware of that. I felt incredibly sad for the woman who went before the Supreme Court to testify that it was the only thing that gave her the capacity to eat enough to stay alive while in treatment.
    That and pain management are about the only areas I see marijuana having real medical benefits. I get really irate when people talk about using cannabis oil to cure all the big pharma diseases and "oh man, it's a conspiracy. They don't want to lose their profits because nature can cure your everything man. I smoked pot last week and now the scab I had was gone, think what it could do to actually get rid of cancer. Oh and Tommy Chong self diagnoised with prostate cancer and now he self diagnosed as not having it, so it cures stuff, man. Conspiracy that big pharma wants to protect their profits, man."
    To which my best response is, "good thing marijuana has never been thought to make anyone paranoid. Otherwise I might doubt all these conspiracies you've uncovered."

What's your take on using cannabinoids to treat seizure disorders in children? I haven't delved too deeply into it because I just don't think the science is there, really, but I know you're a voracious reader of studies. They recently started allowing it in my state and I've got a dispensary in my town, so I'm starting to get interested in the subject.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Natural as potato and tomato greens, right? Or perhaps a little nightshade.

Aren't eggplants a form of night shade?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Natural as potato and tomato greens, right? Or perhaps a little nightshade.

Aren't eggplants a form of night shade?

So are potatoes and tomatoes. I think jgnatca was doing that intentionally.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that people still go on about medical marijuana for glaucoma when it does nothing for glaucoma last I saw any medical review.
    I'm perfectly fine with adults doing it because they want to. I find it kind of sad that people have to invent medical properties for it as a means to justify legalizing it to a bunch of people.

Hahaha! That is funny. ::laugh:: Wait, maybe not. :| Unless we're smoking weed. ;)

I'm aware of that. I felt incredibly sad for the woman who went before the Supreme Court to testify that it was the only thing that gave her the capacity to eat enough to stay alive while in treatment.
    That and pain management are about the only areas I see marijuana having real medical benefits. I get really irate when people talk about using cannabis oil to cure all the big pharma diseases and "oh man, it's a conspiracy. They don't want to lose their profits because nature can cure your everything man. I smoked pot last week and now the scab I had was gone, think what it could do to actually get rid of cancer. Oh and Tommy Chong self diagnoised with prostate cancer and now he self diagnosed as not having it, so it cures stuff, man. Conspiracy that big pharma wants to protect their profits, man."
    To which my best response is, "good thing marijuana has never been thought to make anyone paranoid. Otherwise I might doubt all these conspiracies you've uncovered."

Well, now that is funny. I hadn't heard any of that, but any of that nonsense or what medical benefits you see it having will not change any real benefits it may have. I look forward to more research on the matter. And in the area of Alzheimer’s.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kmajor2015 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    What's the yippee for? Do you feel justified to smoke pot because it might lower your risk for the 'beetus and obesity?

Maybe that person doesn't need to feel they need to justify their private habits to anyone. Chill.

Then perhaps starting this thread wasn't such a good idea.

I remember a long time ago when I used to smoke weed, I thought I came up with all sorts of absolutely brilliant ideas when I was high. I even wrote some of them down, so I'd be sure to remember them in the morning.

The next day? They weren't so brilliant. LMAO.

Yeah, I think there's some palliative qualities for people who are suffering, but I'm not sure about any true medicinal effects. I think the research is still out.

When I partake, it's to get high. Full stop. I don't feel the need to justify it any more than I feel the need to justify my beer guzzling on a party weekend. Sometimes I wanna get crunk, and that's okay.

1*cvk8alb0THF9b-ONmJrdPw.gif
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I was also thinking that most older people are not smoking as much as younger people, and with age we sometimes have that middle-age spread or weight gain from pregnancy, etc.
    [/quote]

Well, I am an older person, and I STILL have my weight gain from pregnancy, baby is now 36. And I used to smoke like a chimney! Pleading the 5th at this point! ;)
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

If it didn't make me so dang hungry! LMAO
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    What's the yippee for? Do you feel justified to smoke pot because it might lower your risk for the 'beetus and obesity?
    Yes

LMAO at that also. Thank you for curing my workplace boredom for a sec.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

What's your take on using cannabinoids to treat seizure disorders in children? I haven't delved too deeply into it because I just don't think the science is there, really, but I know you're a voracious reader of studies. They recently started allowing it in my state and I've got a dispensary in my town, so I'm starting to get interested in the subject.
    Honestly haven't look into it that much. Given the calming effect of marijuana and how often seizures are associated with stress, I think it would be hard to show that the the cannabinoid action is actually having a specific effect on seizure. It is also unfortunate that the drug classification laws of it at the Federal level really hamper anyone from doing good research in that area for the off chance it actually can have a therapeutic effect.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Yay! A judgement thread on MFP!

I'll play along. Does anybody justify their drinking because of the reported health benefits?

They say a glass of wine with dinner is healthy for your heart.

I just save up all of my glasses and drink a bottle on the weekends. Totally the same thing.

This is a fantastic idea. Not sure if it adds up the same health wise. But I'll use this to justify it. Hhahha
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Honestly haven't look into it that much. Given the calming effect of marijuana and how often seizures are associated with stress, I think it would be hard to show that the the cannabinoid action is actually having a specific effect on seizure. It is also unfortunate that the drug classification laws of it at the Federal level really hamper anyone from doing good research in that area for the off chance it actually can have a therapeutic effect.

I really don't understand this. I mean, I get the meaning, but I can't figure out the logic behind laws that prevent learning.
  • JollyHodgers87
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Achaila wrote: »
    I'll justify smoking marijuana because it helps me sleep, eases my anxiety, helps with my depression, helps me eat, it eased my junkie shakes when I was getting clean from heroin - and wouldn't you know it- my doctors all say it's fine! Because marijuana CANT KILL YOU! Except they say it's better to eat it than smoke it, but I don't have time to do the intricate things cooking with weed requires to make it not taste bad.

It's not a drug btw. It's a plant.

Opium is also a plant...

No, it's not. It's derived from a plant.

Opium comes from poppy plants. Not the opium flower.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's not sad that people are "inventing medical properties" for it to justify legalization. There are clinical studies going on all over the world on the health benefits of cannabis for everything from cancer treatment to epilepsy to Alzheimers to treatment of PTSD. Of course, people do consume it for pleasure and recreation, but the medical use benefits are well documented or there would not be medical marijuana programs in many states in the U.S.

I'm very happy it is now legal for recreational use in my state. We can certainly use the tax revenue!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Achaila wrote: »
    I'll justify smoking marijuana because it helps me sleep, eases my anxiety, helps with my depression, helps me eat, it eased my junkie shakes when I was getting clean from heroin - and wouldn't you know it- my doctors all say it's fine! Because marijuana CANT KILL YOU! Except they say it's better to eat it than smoke it, but I don't have time to do the intricate things cooking with weed requires to make it not taste bad.

It's not a drug btw. It's a plant.

Opium is also a plant...

No, it's not. It's derived from a plant.

Opium comes from poppy plants. Not the opium flower.

Um, okay. ?? Not sure of your point ...
  • senecarr
    Options

If it didn't make me so dang hungry! LMAO

There was another thread on here about actual medical marijuana and some people recommended that there are certain strains that are less likely to produce "the munchies" than other strains.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33354096/#Comment_33354096
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    kmajor2015 wrote: »

Maybe that person doesn't need to feel they need to justify their private habits to anyone. Chill.

Then perhaps starting this thread wasn't such a good idea.

I remember a long time ago when I used to smoke weed, I thought I came up with all sorts of absolutely brilliant ideas when I was high. I even wrote some of them down, so I'd be sure to remember them in the morning.

The next day? They weren't so brilliant. LMAO.

Yeah, I think there's some palliative qualities for people who are suffering, but I'm not sure about any true medicinal effects. I think the research is still out.

When I partake, it's to get high. Full stop. I don't feel the need to justify it any more than I feel the need to justify my beer guzzling on a party weekend. Sometimes I wanna get crunk, and that's okay.

This is why I <3 you!

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Yay! A judgement thread on MFP!

I'll play along. Does anybody justify their drinking because of the reported health benefits?

They say a glass of wine with dinner is healthy for your heart.

I just save up all of my glasses and drink a bottle on the weekends. Totally the same thing.

And beer is basically the same thing as wine...right??!
  • senecarr
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

It's not sad that people are "inventing medical properties" for it to justify legalization. There are clinical studies going on all over the world on the health benefits of cannabis for everything from cancer treatment to epilepsy to Alzheimers to treatment of PTSD. Of course, people do consume it for pleasure and recreation, but the medical use benefits are well documented or there would not be medical marijuana programs in many states in the U.S.

I'm very happy it is now legal for recreational use in my state. We can certainly use the tax revenue!
    I think it is indeed sad. It should just be legal because it is a personal decision. Having to justify it for other reasons is sad to me. Cupcakes are both delicious, can be enjoyed, and in excess can have health consequences, but no one needs to tell people that cupcakes might cure cancer or treat Alzheimer's to justify having a cupcake. It seems sad that people have to do that for marijuana.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    When my sister had cancer, she used medical marijuana for pain relief, because the prescription pain killers had tons of terrible side effects and weren't anywhere near as effective anyway. I don't know enough to make a claim about its true medicinal properties, but at the very least it can definitely be used to ease pain and suffering.
This discussion has been closed.