Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    old news now but Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt

weed is 8th on this list

The study involved 16 criteria, including a drug's affects on users' physical and mental health, social harms including crime, "family adversities" and environmental damage, economic costs and "international damage".

_49735645_drugs_comparisons_464gr.gif

Surely this must be at current uses which weights alcohol up because of how common and accessible it is?

absolutely, it's based on existing legal and social constraints/practices
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

The study involved 16 criteria, including a drug's affects on users' physical and mental health, social harms including crime, "family adversities" and environmental damage, economic costs and "international damage".

Surely this must be at current uses which weights alcohol up because of how common and accessible it is?

ACTUALLY i don't know that for sure - not sure whether that's been compared to direct interpersonal harms ppl addicted to alcohol can inflict on loved ones. or bar fights etc. (which goes to your accessibility point)

i'm sure it was accounted for somehow though

yes

sorry, sleep deprived. that should be on there.

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3OepDn5GU
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I find it funny that people still go on about medical marijuana for glaucoma when it does nothing for glaucoma last I saw any medical review.
    I'm perfectly fine with adults doing it because they want to. I find it kind of sad that people have to invent medical properties for it as a means to justify legalizing it to a bunch of people.

It's not sad that people are "inventing medical properties" for it to justify legalization. There are clinical studies going on all over the world on the health benefits of cannabis for everything from cancer treatment to epilepsy to Alzheimers to treatment of PTSD. Of course, people do consume it for pleasure and recreation, but the medical use benefits are well documented or there would not be medical marijuana programs in many states in the U.S.

I'm very happy it is now legal for recreational use in my state. We can certainly use the tax revenue!
    I think it is indeed sad. It should just be legal because it is a personal decision. Having to justify it for other reasons is sad to me. Cupcakes are both delicious, can be enjoyed, and in excess can have health consequences, but no one needs to tell people that cupcakes might cure cancer or treat Alzheimer's to justify having a cupcake. It seems sad that people have to do that for marijuana.

It does not impair driving like alcohol does.

I'm all for legalisation... but this is only half true. It doesn't impair driving in the same way as alcohol, but it absolutely does impair driving. People have crashed their cars and killed people when driving after smoking - because the effects mean they don't pay as much attention as they should.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that people still go on about medical marijuana for glaucoma when it does nothing for glaucoma last I saw any medical review.
    I'm perfectly fine with adults doing it because they want to. I find it kind of sad that people have to invent medical properties for it as a means to justify legalizing it to a bunch of people.

It's not sad that people are "inventing medical properties" for it to justify legalization. There are clinical studies going on all over the world on the health benefits of cannabis for everything from cancer treatment to epilepsy to Alzheimers to treatment of PTSD. Of course, people do consume it for pleasure and recreation, but the medical use benefits are well documented or there would not be medical marijuana programs in many states in the U.S.

I'm very happy it is now legal for recreational use in my state. We can certainly use the tax revenue!
    I think it is indeed sad. It should just be legal because it is a personal decision. Having to justify it for other reasons is sad to me. Cupcakes are both delicious, can be enjoyed, and in excess can have health consequences, but no one needs to tell people that cupcakes might cure cancer or treat Alzheimer's to justify having a cupcake. It seems sad that people have to do that for marijuana.

I'm all for legalisation... but this is only half true. It doesn't impair driving in the same way as alcohol, but it absolutely does impair driving. People have crashed their cars and killed people when driving after smoking - because the effects mean they don't pay as much attention as they should.

I've seen arguments that most of these cases involve multiple intoxicating agents being in a system i.e. someone was drunk and stoned or stoned and on meth, which confounds things somewhat. Is there any research showing that marijuana-using drivers become distracted at a higher rate than sober drivers?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

I've seen arguments that most of these cases involve multiple intoxicating agents being in a system i.e. someone was drunk and stoned or stoned and on meth, which confounds things somewhat. Is there any research showing that marijuana-using drivers become distracted at a higher rate than sober drivers?

Yes. There have been several studies that show it slows down reaction time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Achaila wrote: »
    I'll justify smoking marijuana because it helps me sleep, eases my anxiety, helps with my depression, helps me eat, it eased my junkie shakes when I was getting clean from heroin - and wouldn't you know it- my doctors all say it's fine! Because marijuana CANT KILL YOU! Except they say it's better to eat it than smoke it, but I don't have time to do the intricate things cooking with weed requires to make it not taste bad.

It's not a drug btw. It's a plant.
    I believe that's what they call a false dichotomy.

Yep. I agree with that.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Yay! A judgement thread on MFP!

I'll play along. Does anybody justify their drinking because of the reported health benefits?

They say a glass of wine with dinner is healthy for your heart.

I just save up all of my glasses and drink a bottle on the weekends. Totally the same thing.

A whole bottle of wine fits into a Trenta cup from Starbucks...You're Welcome :)
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I've no doubt that pot slows reaction time (I'm not even sure we needed studies for that - just pretend to hit a stoner and wait the 5 minutes for them to flinch), but how does that correspond to driving ability?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kmajor2015 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    What's the yippee for? Do you feel justified to smoke pot because it might lower your risk for the 'beetus and obesity?

Maybe that person doesn't need to feel they need to justify their private habits to anyone. Chill.

But.....he already did, with his initial posing. ;)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I've no doubt that pot slows reaction time (I'm not even sure we needed studies for that - just pretend to hit a stoner and wait the 5 minutes for them to flinch), but how does that correspond to driving ability?

You cannot react fast enough to not kill someone.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Yay! A judgement thread on MFP!

I'll play along. Does anybody justify their drinking because of the reported health benefits?

They say a glass of wine with dinner is healthy for your heart.

I just save up all of my glasses and drink a bottle on the weekends. Totally the same thing.

A whole bottle of wine fits into a Trenta cup from Starbucks...You're Welcome :)

You're buying the wrong size wine bottles!

chateau-cheval-blanc-468x343.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    What's the yippee for? Do you feel justified to smoke pot because it might lower your risk for the 'beetus and obesity?

Maybe that person doesn't need to feel they need to justify their private habits to anyone. Chill.

Then perhaps starting this thread wasn't such a good idea.

I remember a long time ago when I used to smoke weed, I thought I came up with all sorts of absolutely brilliant ideas when I was high. I even wrote some of them down, so I'd be sure to remember them in the morning.

The next day? They weren't so brilliant. LMAO.

Yep. Remember the days too. I didn't smoke it long because I didn't like how it made me feel, but I thought I was really awesome.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

There are lots of factors, including the strain being used and the user him/herself. Some people do not experience any loss of reaction time, while others behave like the stereotype you described.
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I remember a long time ago when I used to smoke weed, I thought I came up with all sorts of absolutely brilliant ideas when I was high. I even wrote some of them down, so I'd be sure to remember them in the morning.

Yep. Remember the days too. I didn't smoke it long because I didn't like how it made me feel, but I thought I was really awesome.

ha, i remember sooooo much bad poetry (another societal harm). (or i remember THAT i wrote it, obviously i don't actually remember it.)
  • tincanonastring
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

You cannot react fast enough to not kill someone.

There are many times that sober drivers can't react fast enough to not kill someone. How does this statement contribute to the conversation in any meaningful way?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    all drugs should be legalized
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You are kidding right? You don't see how slowed reaction time negatively impacts driving?
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

ha, i remember sooooo much bad poetry (another societal harm)

Not as bad as the poetry written by Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Essex, right?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

You are kidding right? You don't see how slowed reaction time negatively impacts driving?

I can see how it would negatively impact driving if the delay was appreciable. You didn't link me with anything to reference, so I'm asking follow-up questions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

does this take into account that alcohol is legal and readily available and used more frequently by a lot more people than any of those other things? I really have a difficult time believing that alcohol is more dangerous than heroine.
This discussion has been closed.