What Marijuana Does to Your Metabolism

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

Does that take munchies into consideration?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I find it funny that people still go on about medical marijuana for glaucoma when it does nothing for glaucoma last I saw any medical review.
    I'm perfectly fine with adults doing it because they want to. I find it kind of sad that people have to invent medical properties for it as a means to justify legalizing it to a bunch of people.

It's not sad that people are "inventing medical properties" for it to justify legalization. There are clinical studies going on all over the world on the health benefits of cannabis for everything from cancer treatment to epilepsy to Alzheimers to treatment of PTSD. Of course, people do consume it for pleasure and recreation, but the medical use benefits are well documented or there would not be medical marijuana programs in many states in the U.S.

I'm very happy it is now legal for recreational use in my state. We can certainly use the tax revenue!
    I think it is indeed sad. It should just be legal because it is a personal decision. Having to justify it for other reasons is sad to me. Cupcakes are both delicious, can be enjoyed, and in excess can have health consequences, but no one needs to tell people that cupcakes might cure cancer or treat Alzheimer's to justify having a cupcake. It seems sad that people have to do that for marijuana.

I agree that it should be legal, but I also think the possible medical benefits should be explored. Not for justification of it being legalized, but because it's useful.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    kmajor2015 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    What's the yippee for? Do you feel justified to smoke pot because it might lower your risk for the 'beetus and obesity?

Maybe that person doesn't need to feel they need to justify their private habits to anyone. Chill.

Then perhaps starting this thread wasn't such a good idea.

I remember a long time ago when I used to smoke weed, I thought I came up with all sorts of absolutely brilliant ideas when I was high. I even wrote some of them down, so I'd be sure to remember them in the morning.

The next day? They weren't so brilliant. LMAO.

Yeah, I think there's some palliative qualities for people who are suffering, but I'm not sure about any true medicinal effects. I think the research is still out.

When I partake, it's to get high. Full stop. I don't feel the need to justify it any more than I feel the need to justify my beer guzzling on a party weekend. Sometimes I wanna get crunk, and that's okay.

This is why I <3 you!

Someone's gotta speak truth to the people, and that someone may as well be me!
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Betcha y'all be drinkin' that wine and smokin' them tweeds....

lmao!!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that people still go on about medical marijuana for glaucoma when it does nothing for glaucoma last I saw any medical review.
    I'm perfectly fine with adults doing it because they want to. I find it kind of sad that people have to invent medical properties for it as a means to justify legalizing it to a bunch of people.

It's not sad that people are "inventing medical properties" for it to justify legalization. There are clinical studies going on all over the world on the health benefits of cannabis for everything from cancer treatment to epilepsy to Alzheimers to treatment of PTSD. Of course, people do consume it for pleasure and recreation, but the medical use benefits are well documented or there would not be medical marijuana programs in many states in the U.S.

I'm very happy it is now legal for recreational use in my state. We can certainly use the tax revenue!
    I think it is indeed sad. It should just be legal because it is a personal decision. Having to justify it for other reasons is sad to me. Cupcakes are both delicious, can be enjoyed, and in excess can have health consequences, but no one needs to tell people that cupcakes might cure cancer or treat Alzheimer's to justify having a cupcake. It seems sad that people have to do that for marijuana.

I agree that it should be legal, but I also think the possible medical benefits should be explored. Not for justification of it being legalized, but because it's useful.

The possible medical benefits are being explored. It is useful and beneficial for many medical conditions based on both case studies and clinical trials. If the federal government would reclassify it (from a Schedule 1 drug), more of this research would be possible.

http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/study.php
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

The possible medical benefits are being explored. It is useful and beneficial for many medical conditions based on both case studies and clinical trials. If the federal government would reclassify it (from a Schedule 1 drug), more of this research would be possible.

And as I've implied in this thread, I'm in favor of it being reclassified federally, along with most drugs, for the purpose of discovering novel uses, or possible new treatments. I just see that as orthogonal to the idea of legalizing it because it is a personal decision to use it. I also see some people inventing things it can cure or treat as part of the pushing for legalization. Like plenty of people go around quoting studies of how various cannabis chemicals kill cancer in in vivo studies. These people don't understand that in vivo means in petri dish, in which case, as XKCD brilliantly points out, so does a hand gun. Yet they don't understand that kind of science and get hooked into thinking marijuana prohibition is a some giant conspiracy to keep people dying of cancer.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

This is my feelings as well. It's so off that alcohol is legal when you consider all the bad things it creates. But, when the government outlawed it, they saw what happened and pretty much had to make it legal again. It's funny to me that they can't see the parallel with many drugs today, with Marijuana being one of them. Legalizing it would eliminate many problems and increase tax revenue and legitimize business. It would become less expensive, and would be regulated. Also decreases crime, contrary to overly conservative views. I don't smoke it. But, I don't have any problems with it at all. I probably would smoke it if it was legal. I fail to see anything wrong with it.

I do know people have issues with it because they think of it as a "drug". But, that's a moniker the government has placed on it. It's not real. It's just made up. Alcohol has far worse effects, in every way, than marijuana. Despite the beliefs, marijuana is not addictive. It does not impair driving like alcohol does. People don't leave their family for another joint, but they do for another bottle of booze. Etc. I could go on and on. It's an awesome recreational drug that should be legalized, IMO. I am happy that there are lots of people behind the movement and that it is gaining ground quickly. it's taken a long time. Too long, IMO.

Perhaps not physically addictive, though I'm not sure about that either, but I know many people who have had a strong emotional, mental connection with pot and were unable to just stop smoking.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If it takes the wrong reasons for the Feds to get to the right answer on something for which they don't really have the authority to act anyway, I'm fine with that.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

And as I've implied in this thread, I'm in favor of it being reclassified federally, along with most drugs, for the purpose of discovering novel uses, or possible new treatments. I just see that as orthogonal to the idea of legalizing it because it is a personal decision to use it. I also see some people inventing things it can cure or treat as part of the pushing for legalization. Like plenty of people go around quoting studies of how various cannabis chemicals kill cancer in in vivo studies. These people don't understand that in vivo means in petri dish, in which case, as XKCD brilliantly points out, so does a hand gun. Yet they don't understand that kind of science and get hooked into thinking marijuana prohibition is a some giant conspiracy to keep people dying of cancer.

"Science" - not real science, ie the never-final, collective, systematic exclusion of false hypotheses & refinement of new ones, just the perception of scientific authority - is one of our culture's dominant ideologies, not surprising people want to lean on it a bit
  • tomatoey
    Options
    old news now but Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt

weed is 8th on this list

The study involved 16 criteria, including a drug's affects on users' physical and mental health, social harms including crime, "family adversities" and environmental damage, economic costs and "international damage".

_49735645_drugs_comparisons_464gr.gif

• tincanonastring
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

weed is 8th on this list

The study involved 16 criteria, including a drug's affects on users' physical and mental health, social harms including crime, "family adversities" and environmental damage, economic costs and "international damage".

How the hell is ketamine more dangerous than pot? Is it just because of the relative obscurity?

ETA: Also, doesn't Khat eat your face?
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

How the hell is ketamine more dangerous than pot? Is it just because of the relative obscurity?

it's less dangerous than pot! you must have smoked something ;) (go from top to bottom)
  • tincanonastring
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

it's less dangerous than pot! you must have smoked something ;)

emb1.gif
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

Old list. I'd be curious as to where they would rank K2. That has some really awful effects.
  • tomatoey
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

it's less dangerous than pot! you must have smoked something ;)

emb1.gif

tumblr_ngpq0x5fQ11ttzn7oo1_500.gif
  • tomatoey
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

ETA: Also, doesn't Khat eat your face?

i haven't done any direct investigation of that hypothesis
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

weed is 8th on this list

Surely this must be at current uses which weights alcohol up because of how common and accessible it is?
This discussion has been closed.