September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Only manged 4miles today. Does anyone else find some days you can carry on running no problem but other days you feel the need to slow up. ..This has been happening frequently to me recently. ..I can run 2.5 miles at a reasonable pace one day then the next I need to start walking. ..why does this happen..
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Only manged 4miles today. Does anyone else find some days you can carry on running no problem but other days you feel the need to slow up. ..This has been happening frequently to me recently. ..I can run 2.5 miles at a reasonable pace one day then the next I need to start walking. ..why does this happen..

yes- absolutely normal

many factors - weather, sleep, energy level, motivation, mood, temperature, fitness level

today for example after 2 very good days I was slower and I feel down - but I know that I'll feel really well soon and I'll do another good run
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    dawniemate wrote: »

yes- absolutely normal

many factors - weather, sleep, energy level, motivation, mood, temperature, fitness level

today for example after 2 very good days I was slower and I feel down - but I know that I'll feel really well soon and I'll do another good run

Thanks glad it's not just me!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    9/1: Rest
    9/2: 7 miles
    9/3: 8 miles am and 6 miles pm with the Thursday crew
    9/4: 6 miles
    9/5: Rest
    9/6: Brunch and walking around museums > running 6 miles in a new town
    9/7: 18 miles
    9/8: Rest
    9/9: 10 miles
    9/10: 7 miles speedwork

First speedwork day of the official training season! Went the treadmill route because it's going to be super rainy today. While I do have waterproof shoes, I can only use them once a day, and I'm electing to use 'em for my group run tonight. But I do enjoy treadmill speedwork at least a little, so it wasn't all bad. I cranked it from 8 mph to 9.2 mph over 3-3.5 minutes at the beginning of each mile (excluding warm-up and cool-down) and then kept it between 7-7.5 mph for recovery for the remainder of each mile. This spring, I would max out at 8.2 or 8.5 for speedwork, so getting it to 9.2 was a huge success. I am going to be flying this fall! :D

62/200

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - I like your treadmill speed workout...wish I could go that fast!
    @skippygirlsmom - running without glasses is not an option for me...I would have accidentally killed myself by now.
    @9voice9 - hope you are feeling better

9/1 - rest day
    9/2 - 5.2 miles treadmill "hill" workout with HM training group
    9/3 - 4.5 miles around the 'hood...heat and humidity is back 74° and sticky at 5:30 a.m.
    9/4 - 4 miles in the humidity...pretty good pace today
    9/5 - 8.2 mi with HM training group...tough, ended with a 1/2 mile hill...twice.
    9/6 - unplanned rest day
    9/7 - 5.76 miles of intervals with HM group
    9/8 - 4 miles in drippy, sprinkly and still humid weather...where is fall?
    9/9 - 4.5 miles, super comfortable. 64° and lower humidity...yay!
    9/10 - 5 miles treadmill/trek class...super sweaty

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for September

9/1 10.5 miles - 10.5
    9/2 6.6 miles - 17.1
    9/3 9.5 miles - 26.6
    9/4 6.85 miles - 33.45
    9/5 20 miles - 53.45
    9/6 REST DAY
    9/7 10.4 miles - 63.95
    9/8 10.25 miles - 74.2
    9/9 7 miles - 81.2
    9/10 - 10 miles - 91.2

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    9/1 - 3.5 miles - way too many pushes on the snooze this morning! :smiley:
    9/2 - rest day walked the doggie instead
    9/3 - 5.1 miles
    9/4 - 10 miles last 2 were HOT HUMID and MISERABLE LOL
    9/5 - rest day - cross country meet - Skip did great 24th in her division 23:37 no where near a PR but it was so hot and humid you could hardly stand to be out there to watch let alone run. Proud of my girl.
    9/6 - 5.1 miles
    9/7 - 5.2 miles of trail running - OMG we had so much fun!!! Skip wanted to practice trail running for her meets and folks gave me some great recommendations of trails to run. We went out this morning and had a blast. The first trail was marked as easy/difficult so it was some easy packed dirt and some gravel with harder roots and rocks to climb. The second was difficult and some parts were about 2' wide and quite a climb (for me LOL). We loved it!
    9/8 - 5.1 miles
    9/9 - 5.5 miles
    9/10 - 7.2 miles nice slow pace this morning, just wanted to get the miles in. Still pretty humid (97%) but the temp was 69 so it was nice. Annoying little doggie chased me this morning and nipped at my heels, honestly people it's dark out keep your doggies inside so they don't get run over.

46.7 of 120 miles

w8emv6gymnk9.jpg
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    3.5 miles again for me today. 20 in total. seems a bit meagre when looking at some of the other peoples mileage though!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @dawniemate, That happens to me all the time. I'll have one run where I feel I'm floating on air and can run forever, then the next run it's like I'm wearing bricks on my feet and nothing feels right. Those rotten runs just make the great runs feel that much better.
    @snha, I'm honored to be included in that group of runners you mention, but I don't think I'm qualified to tie their shoelaces.
    @kstar_lee, it looks like you're off to a great start! It's definitely a different run when you bring your dog. My dog has been very upset with me for not taking him much lately because of the heat. It's cooling off and I'll be taking him tonight.
    @HonuNui, your snorkling pictures always make me jealous! It reminds me of snorkeling near Puerto Morelos in Mexico with our family a few years ago. Keep posting those pictures!
    @monkeymintaka, congrats on the new distance PR and your new 5K PR!! A great week for you!

• skippygirlsmom
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @shanaber I have a Garmin Forerunner 15 and love it. It doesn't feel too big, as a matter of fact I wear it all the time now. Skip has a Forerunner 10 it's the same size and she is tiny (5'1" 79 lbs of tiny) and she said it's comfortable. The only difference is the 10 doesn't have a HRM I figured she didn't need one.
    @karllundy I hate to wear my glasses because they tend to slide down my nose and I've tried on "sport" glasses and they just don't feel comfortable to me, it's like they hit my eye lashes or something. I've run in the morning where I wasn't sure if it was a mailbox or person in the street. I see things run across the road in front of me and I just keep saying "nice kitty" or "nice bunny" I'm sure I don't really want to know what it is. :smiley:
    @endlessenigma great job on C25K you are doing great
    @7lenny7 your run sounds like it needed some ADHD meds LOL
    with easy > tempo>easy>hill sprint>easy>fartleks>easy.
    @dawniemate I agree with Pat on the good and bad runs. This week I've been having great runs (for me at least LOL), but I know tomorrow I could be dying and barely getting in 2 miles. It happens to everyone. When I have a bad run I shake it off and move on.
    @stoshew71 look at you almost half way on the 10th the month, super work!
  • mwilliams0818
    mwilliams0818 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

exercise.png

So far so good. A little behind where I would like to be but I still have plenty of time to pick up the pace. All of my runs are on the treadmill and so far I've been getting pretty comfortable with a 5mph pace. I think after another few runs I'll try to bump it to 6mph and see how I do.
  • mwilliams0818
    mwilliams0818 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention in my post for those of you that asked, yes that is me in my profile picture. I'm a sideshow performer in what little spare time I have :smiley: I do fire breathing/eating, poi, fire fans, bed of nails, and glass walking so far.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    A must read if you think you are a "slow" runner:

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/so-what-youre-a-slow-runner/
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 -- yeah she just turned one in June so she's still learning leash walking. She's pretty good but pulls a little bit and gets distracted easily. Now I just bring her on walks - no jogs. Here she is o8d6hysx2u9x.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @stoshew71 look at you almost half way on the 10th the month, super work!

Thanks! :smiley:

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention in my post for those of you that asked, yes that is me in my profile picture. I'm a sideshow performer in what little spare time I have :smiley: I do fire breathing/eating, poi, fire fans, bed of nails, and glass walking so far.

Wow - I curse if I step on a lego! Awesome.

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    A must read if you think you are a "slow" runner:

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/so-what-youre-a-slow-runner/

thanks! read your post on FB, so true!!

kstar_lee wrote: »
    @7lenny7 -- yeah she just turned one in June so she's still learning leash walking. She's pretty good but pulls a little bit and gets distracted easily. Now I just bring her on walks - no jogs. Here she is o8d6hysx2u9x.jpg

Sweetest face ever!

• garydeinert
    garydeinert Posts: 106 Member
    Options

exercise.png

On track so far! B)
  • Jennifer8348683
    Jennifer8348683 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    Getting there. :)
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    9.2: 1.25 - 1.25
    9.3: 4.1 - 5.35
    9.4: 2.4 - 7.75
    9.8: 4.3 -12.05
    9.10: 5.25 - 17.3

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    First run back in the cooler north and it felt wonderful running back through the woods and trails. Really hoping the pirates make up some games vs. the cardinals during this 8-game homestand trip before I head back to the south, but time seems to be running out on the season.

9/1 - 5 easy miles
    9/2 - 6 miles total (1.5 run + 4.5 run)
    9/3 - 11 miles total (1.5 run + 4 run + 5.5 run)
    9/6 - 6 miles
    9/7 - 5.5 miles
    9/9 - 5 miles
    9/10 - 8 miles

Total: 46.5 miles
    Goal: 150 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 112.5 miles, 5 speedwork sessions