September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @karllundy good luck on Sunday
    @jtarmom sorry for the bad run yesterday, how was today?
    @mwyvr officially you ran for 2 days, very impressive :smiley:
    @patrikc333 how about knuckle lights, I hear they work better than headlamps because you and point your hand directly where you need the extra light. 102 day streak wow!
    @jorocka I'd love to see a video of class super run yesterday
    @dawniemate I think lenny and mwyvr have good suggestions and talking to elders. It's hard when you feel uncomfortable in your surroundings

@shanaber I love that cartoon, so much ...look I have had it posted on my bulletin board for months ha ha.

1npob449dvmn.jpg
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    9/18 -- 2.76mi
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @dawniemate - you could also try convincing your husband to go with you :)
    @mwyvr - pretty sure you get to count it for both days!
    @jtarmom - we all have those bad run days! Hopefully your next run will be awesome and make up for it!
    @patrikc333 - 102 day streak! That is awesome!!
    @skippygirlsmom - that is too funny that you have it on your wall! I have printed it too but don't have it up on my wall yet!

Rest day for me. Hanging out at the hospital for a friend having surgery. May try to get a run in tonight if it isn't still too hot.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm just posting to see what you runners think. . I live in a built up area so my runs are mainly through the neighbourhood with only a few small trails. Unfortunately now the morning is getting darker I have to leave the house about 7.15 am for my run. I have a problem now. .....We have recently received a large number of immigrant families. .no problem with that ..but there are large groups of about 8 or 9 young men who hang about constantly just causing problems for people where I live. I have to pass where they are all stood and now feel really uncomfortable and I have to admit a little unnerved. Our police and neighbourhood watch are unable to do anything about them and we as residents have been advised that there will be more moved into the area. I do not have any problems with them just feel unable to go running as I now am concerned each time I come round a corner. I cannot find a running partner who can run at the same time as me because of commitments etc. I just wondered what your thoughts are. I really hate the gym and treadmills. Do you think I have cause for concern. My husband is very worried about the situation. ..I haven't gone today

I feel for you. But I am not sure what I can offer in advise.

I get up at 4:30 to run, just because of my schedule and need to get ready for work. I also have groups that meet to run at 5:15 in the morning which works great for my schedule. I usually show up early to get a couple miles in as a warm-up before we all move out as a group. I prefer to run early in the morning as opposed to after work because I usually don't have as much energy after work and have some things on my plate after work.

But finding a group run that meets and finding safer areas to run in, even if you have to drive somewhere would be my suggestions. You just may have to be more creative at it. I am assuming that moving to another location is an extreme or not in the cards right now?

Do you have a running specialty store in the area? They may suggest running groups. Or you maybe able to google for a running group for the city you live in.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Thanks mwyvr, that's good advice, I think maybe I'm overreacting. ..going to carry on running and see how it goes, well done on all your running, you put me to shame lol thanks again ☺

@dawniemarie216, with the utmost respect for @mwyvr, he does not put you or anyone else here to shame. There is no shame to to be had here.

I agree with him about your situation. Have they actually done anything to warrant your hesitation or is it just their presence? A sizeable group like that certainly can be intimidating, but on the other hand, they have to be somewhere.

These immigrants may end up being nice people, but if there is a reason that your have fear, I would say err on the side of safety.

I like the couple of different ideas that were brought up.
    1) talk to religious leaders (especially if you know they have an influence on these families)
    2) have your husband run with you
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Does a midnight run spanning two days count on both? Or not count at all?

Eh, just pick a day and count the whole thing together.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @dawniemate Like @7lenny7 said... there is no shame here! Everyone is welcome. Everyone! Maximum mileage is not a universal objective; everyone has their own plans and goals. We all run for our individual wants and needs. This place is a friendly non-judgemental place to help us all remain motivated and share. It's amazing how picking a goal and being public about it helps push us out the door when we might feel like slacking off. :smile:
    Thanks mwyvr, that's good advice, I think maybe I'm overreacting. ..going to carry on running and see how it goes

Over-reacting? No, I think you are having a normal reaction to change. Hey, some groups of youths - home grown and otherwise - actually are thugs. But certainly not all are and not even most are.

Maybe you'll run into someone from their cultural community you can strike up a conversation with or go for a walk with and figure things out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @dawniemate I second the running club. Or Drive to a safer location.

If you have a bad vibe about the young men about, I'd heed it. If they are up to no good, and you have a predictable schedule, may be a potential situation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL one of the reasons I like to run earlier rather than later- the general trend is that bad people do bad things late at night- few criminals want to get up hella early in the morning. - anyway you can just get up earlier before they are out milling about?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    If you ever thought you couldn't run, this guy with cerebral palsy may put a different prospective on things. He has a very upbeat but silly attitude that just has to effect you.

His Treadmill workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWI_J3-2Nzg

"Speedwork" on the track
    "I went from a person having cerebral palsy to being a paraplegic in a quarter mile"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQAG_xOmwXI
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    If you ever thought you couldn't run, this guy with cerebral palsy may put a different prospective on things. He has a very upbeat but silly attitude that just has to effect you.

OMG, I love that guy!! Thanks for posting, @Stoshew71!

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    September goal 100km
    9/1—Rest
    9/2–-5.3 km
    9/3–-6.24 km
    9/4—exploring
    9/5—rest, exhausted from exploring couldn’t get my butt up
    9/6—12.5 km, walked three times, but that’s okay
    9/7—rest
    9/8–5.06 km
    9/9–5.44 km
    9/10–5.15 km
    9/11—rest
    9/12–6.13 km
    9/13—the big 35 birthday…rest after a night of drinking and indian food
    9/14—weights at the gym, start of the k2fit challenge. Traditional rest day for me
    9/15–5.17 km—half way through the month and half way to my goal of 100 km! 51/100 km
    9/16—run tracker said 5.89 km, but I know the run is about 5.3 km
    9/17–5.29 km, finally seem to be back to hitting under 7 min per kilometer
    9/18—long work day so rest
    9/19—longest run yet 13.42 km in 1 hour 40 min.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    9/1 Strength training and elliptical
    9/2 6.5 miles (6 at 11:29 and .5 at 15:00) on the treadmill
    9/3 4.5 miles at 11:59 on the treadmill
    9/4 3 miles at 11:00 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/5 Rest Day

9/6 5 miles-nice trail run with 4 at 11:35(ish) and 1 walking
    9/7 1.5 miles at 12:00 with my 10 year old.
    9/8 1.5 miles super-slow walking on the treadmill on max incline plus strength training
    9/9 7.75 miles on my local park trail at 12:33
    9/10 3.25 walking the doggy for my rest day
    9/11 3.00 at 11:30 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/12 Rest

9/13 Rest
    9/14 4.5 at 12:30 on my park trail.
    9/15 3.25 at 10:46 on the treadmill and strength training
    9/16 2.75 at 11:17 on the treadmill (short run, since I had to go to a meeting)
    9/17 7.5 at 12:20 on the park trail
    9/18 3.25 @ 11:25 on the treadmill, plus strength training

Goal: 75 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

His Treadmill workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWI_J3-2Nzg

"Speedwork" on the track
    "I went from a person having cerebral palsy to being a paraplegic in a quarter mile"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQAG_xOmwXI

Thanks for sharing that! I love love love his can do attitude!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    6.2 miles today. Started out a little rough but after the first mile it felt better. I was planning for 6 miles, but then at the end threw in the 0.2 so I could say I did a 10k :) Afterwards I was looking at my pace for each mile and found out I ran just under 12 min/mile for miles 3 and 4. My overall pace was 12:33 which is normal for me, but it was great to see a couple of sub-12s in there :smiley:

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    10 km run up Pats Creek. My New Favorite Spot

9/1 - 0 - 0 - 140 km goal
    9/3 - 6 km - 6 - 134 km to go
    9/4 - 6 km - 12 - 128 km to go
    9/7 - 7.4 km - 19.4 - 120.6 km to go
    9/12 - 11.4 km - 30.8 - 109.2 km to go
    9/13 - 6.5 km - 37.3 - 102.7 km to go
    9/14 - 6.8 km - 44.1 - 95.9 km to go
    9/16 - 8.2 km - 52.3 - 87.7 km to go
    9/18 - 10 km - 62.3 - 77.7 km to go

exercise.png
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    30 minutes today. It was nice and cool at 54 degrees this morning and my heart rate was loving it. I cannot wait for fall!
    exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - retired snowbird. Just a season ticket holder for my team up north (Pittsburgh Pirates), so I head up for homestands. I'll usually change my icon based on my location though.

I set the alarm to get up early so I could get in some cooler running prior to my flight back to Florida, but the snooze button ended up winning. Shame though, as it was 55 degrees at 7AM up north, and 80 degrees with 85% humidity by the time I went out for my run tonight. Off on a cruise tomorrow to do some scuba diving in the carribbean, so hoping to get in some miles on the ship and on land.

9/1 - 5 easy miles
    9/2 - 6 miles total (1.5 run + 4.5 run)
    9/3 - 11 miles total (1.5 run + 4 run + 5.5 run)
    9/6 - 6 miles
    9/7 - 5.5 miles
    9/9 - 5 miles
    9/10 - 8 miles
    9/11 - 8 miles
    9/12 - 4 miles (7 x 1/3 mile repeats w. 2 minute recovery jog at 6 min/mile pace)
    9/13 - 12 miles
    9/14 - 8 miles
    9/16 - 9.5 miles
    9/17 - 7 miles
    9/18 - 5 miles

Total: 100 miles, 1 speedwork session
    Goal: 150 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 50 miles, 4 speedwork sessions
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    30 mile goal

9/2/ 1.8
    9/4 1.5
    9/6 3.7 (45 minutes slow)
    9/8 2
    9/10 2.2 (Interval)
    9/12 2
    9/14 3.5 (45 minutes slow)
    9/16 2.0
    9/18 2.1 (Interval)

12.7 miles to go! And a really nice milestown, I am halfway through my 5K program!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hello Martha's Vineyard! A long run today out to South Beach and back. 8 miles.
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Sep 01      5.2      5.2
    Sep 04      9.1     14.3
    Sep 05      3.7     18.0
    Sep 06      5.0     23.0
    Sep 07      3.7     26.7
    Sep 10      6.2     32.9
    Sep 12     10.6     43.5
    Sep 13      5.0     48.5
    Sep 15      5.0     53.5
    Sep 17      5.0     58.5