WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,391 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Terri by the Irish Sea I am reading as fast as I can but there is only so much time lol.

@GloworminWA My birthday is the 20th. I have always written poetry, and occasional short stories, but not for publication. (Yet lol) I run a Creative Writing Group which meets twice a month.

You are a strong woman. We do what we can and fight for what we believe is right, but we are not responsible for whether or not people accept what we offer them.

@Lagopus You'll make it and will look stunning. We want photos when it happens lol. Enjoy your family time. My granddaughter did an 8 week placement (from Cambridge) in Stockholm this summer. She loved it. I think she would like to live there.

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Warning, long... (sorry). :)
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Good evening!

Meg - I didn't lose my job but I have been placed on a 60 day probation period. I don't think I explained what for so forgive me if I already have...

I had an unsigned note in my work mailbox on Tuesday. It obviously had something to do with insurance but my supervisor (I use that term very loosely) left early without telling me she was leaving so I didn't get to ask about it. So, after I was alone in the office, I received a call from some benefits place asking me for all kinds of forms that I didn't know anything about and for a check for almost $5,000 that was needed right away. I answered her questions to the best of my ability but I had been told NOTHING about any insurance agreements. Needless to say, I was embarrassed AND I was very upset because, if they were indeed changing the insurance for those who get benefits, it meant I needed to have a LOT of questions answered and had an overwhelming amount of extra work to be completed by this Tuesday. This is the email I sent to the folks that might be able to answer my questions: "I just received a phone call from someone at Pilot Benefits asking me questions about insurance and saying that she needed at check for over $4,600 tomorrow. I am more than a little confused. If, indeed, there have been arrangements made for a new type of health insurance, I would appreciate some detailed written instructions on what I need to do regarding the changeover." Maybe I could have worded it a bit more gently, but I certainly do not consider it to be insubordination!

In addition, my supervisor added to my written reprimand that I had used a short tone with church members. I asked for specific examples so that I could recognize what I had done wrong.

She informed me that I had been rude to a man in the office on Tuesday. In my opinion, the man and I had a very pleasant visit with his needs being taken care of respectfully. He was cracking jokes the whole time he was in my office! She also said I was reported as being rude when I answer the door. 1) I answer the door about an average of once per year and 2) I say the same thing she does when she answers the door!

Then she was really snotty about telling me that I was inappropriately dressed for the office. She was talking about my request to wear my Physical therapy clothing to work since it is a painful process to get dressed--particularly after my arm has been twisted all over creation. All she had to do is ask me if my condition had improved enough to change before coming to work. (I have no complaints at my other job.)

Then she said there was a problem with my accuracy in my job. Yes, there was a mistake; I misread a sloppily handwritten invoice. I readily acknowledged that I had made a mistake and had worked with the vendor to correct it. On top of it all, the pastor sent me a horrible email that said I was scolding our hardworking members and that in my position, I should know there were insurance changes taking place. Well, not bloody likely that I would know if no one told me! EVERYONE on staff knew about the change except me--the one who has to do the actual work.

I am way more than fed up with them! By the way, I still have not received contact information or any other details. End of rant...

So, Lisa, would you have placed me on probation for that email under the circumstances?

Carol, my dear, you wouldn't have received a reprimand or been placed on probation, because I wouldn't have received that e-mail from you. My first priority as your supervisor is to make sure you have the tools (i.e. information in this case!) to do your job. The fact you still haven't been given the info about the insurance tells me someone is setting you up for failure, and they're busy making this happen.

For me, that would be a five-step process. First, I will take someone aside, privately, and say "this behavior has to change." If it doesn't change, the next step is a verbal reprimand, again without documentation, but in front of a neutral witness... But even at that point, my advice to the assistant managers I'm training right now is "never back someone into a corner that you can't afford to lose." The next step if nothing changes is a written reprimand, again issued in front of a witness, and if I'm at that point, I have decided I can afford to lose them, and am preparing to fire them, since policy is that I can't fire anyone unless they've received three written reprimands.

If that is the case with them, she's well down that road, or a) she's either too cowardly to fire you and hoping you'll quit, or b) she's afraid if they fire you while you're still under medical care you can sue them. If I had to guess the reasons, I would bet your supervisor has a friend or family member that would be "just perfect for this job," and has been pouring poison about you into the pastor's ear in order to manipulate the situation. Or the pastor has someone he wants in that job. I could be wrong, but I would bet that within a few days of your now inevitable departure, someone else that one of them knows very well will be sitting in that chair.
    How would you recommend that I handle the lack of respect(?) that I am shown! ... [and went on to say] So, I reworked my resume today and will fine tune it on Monday and begin applying for jobs. I hope to be able to sing that old country song about "take this job and shove it!" Oh, and I asked the pastor at my other job if I was difficult to work with and he assured me that I was certainly not. We agreed that the biggest difference is that he and I work together as a team instead of me being treated like an ignorant lackey. He also told me that I was wasting my skills and talents by working the positions I'm in.

Well, that's exactly how I would handle it, by looking elsewhere. I would also stay very neutral, nod a lot and not get in a hooraw with your current supervisor. Simply nod and smile. It will completely confuse her, especially when she's apparently pushing your buttons in hopes you'll blow up.

And, I agree with the good pastor that you're wasted in church admin positions. You're articulate, bright, focused, knowledgeable and have skills that are needed almost everyware. I would hit Indeed.com or one of them that's advertising temp admin jobs at schools, like this one at William Peace University. Working at colleges, schools and government agencies doesn't keep you completely out of the way of people like her, but it does mean they have very stringent guidelines as to how to deal with employees. Churches are almost above the law in some ways, as the feds are very reluctant to step in to make sure they obey hiring/firing laws.

Last but not least, you might consider hanging a shingle out as a virtual assistant if you have a computer or laptop of your own. Your experience would be very welcome to churches who can't afford to hire a part-time or full-time person, and just need a few hours a week, and it would allow you to help a number of them. I can point you to places where putting up a one-page website is easy/sneezy and free, and where you can get hundreds of business cards made for less than $20. It sounds like your "good" pastor would be a great reference for work like that.

PS: On the wording of your e-mail, while again, you wouldn't have had to send it to me, there are a number of words/phrases with high negative semantic loading in there:
    • "If, indeed, there have been arrangements made"
    • "I would appreciate some detailed written instructions,"
    • "I am more than a little confused."
    These were probably read as:
    • "What the he!!?"
    • "Since you didn't tell me, now you have to tell me in writing,"
    • "I'm just saying I'm confused, but I am actually quite pi$$ed off!"

My advice for many years has been, when you're hurt and ticked off at work, go ahead and write out the e-mail that you want to write. DO NOT put an e-mail address on it before you write it. Then, rather than actually sending it, simply save it in your drafts. You will feel better for having typed it out, but you can go in an hour later or a day later and reword it or delete it. In the rewording, you have to go overboard with the fluffy to be perceived positively... like for those three statements, "I was so surprised, because you're usually great at making sure I know about anything like this," and for the last two, "I really need your help sorting out what I'm supposed to do with the requirements, as there are so many things that only you know." Feels icky I know.

However, never, EVER put in e-mail and hit send how you actually feel, particularly in an even vaguely negative situation at work. Anything that can be printed on paper can and will be used against you--and because most people don't know how to give valid, unmistakable emotional expression to their writing or in e-mail (we even trip over it on here on occasion), if there is any slightest possibility of taking it wrong or misinterpreting it, people will do so.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Miriam - so pleased for you!

Pip - nearly there!

Mia - you did AMAZING, not gaining weight on vacation, and we missed you too!

Heather - your grandchildren will remember the amazing relationship they have with you and your DH all their lives, and I'm so pleased you have them in your life!

Terri - loving the PJs!

For those who are dealing with the sibling thing, my second marriage gave me the children I've never had, and even though they were 15 and 17 at the time, they call me "Mom," and now "Gramily" to my daughter's kids. It finished pulling me completely away from my siblings, as I'd been the center of the last six of us ever since my mother died. Now I too, stay on the "rim of the family circle," and what a great description! My sister took up some of that center position, but the rest fell away and pretty much no one seemed to notice. I had already gotten tired of being the birthday rememberer, phonebook and central switching for my sib's interactions, so didn't miss it much. Do I love them? Yes. Do they love me? Probably. But there are no plans for any get-togethers any time soon. It will probably be at one or the other's funeral, if I had to guess. It is simply life's pattern, for me anyway.

For those abused, who dealt with the abuse of someone you loved, or whose lives have been impacted by abuse, you are certainly not alone. My father abused me and my sister, and my 27-year marriage was impacted by it because my now-ex-husband had been abused in his youth by a male teacher, and it may be what destroyed his ability to have a healthy sexual relationship.

When I was doing the research for my gastric bypass (next Friday is my ten-year surgiversary!) a couple different studies showed that one in four people who sought out the surgery, so by definition, who were obese or morbidly obese, had been abused. The vast majority of those suffered sexual abuse. Child abuse statistics for the entire US population put the reported numbers at 1.2 of 100, and estimate unreported to be 4. That means 2% in the general public, and 25% of those who are overweight. Staggering.

Glo, you're right though, I think once you're grown you make choices of whether to remain a victim or whether to let it make you stronger. I chose to believe that, if I could deal with that, I could deal with anything. And I do. And I have.

And for those who I tantalized, I didn't work for the circus, I worked for the carnival. :D Big difference, as to circus people, carnies are pretty much trailer trash. However, to assuage your curiosity, here's the passage from that chapter of my autobiography:

Warning, it's long, feel free to skip!

Rodney showed back up one night at the restaurant, and asked me to take a break and talk to him. My manager nodded his assent, and I went into the dining area with Rodney, wary, and determined to talk to him only in a public place, just in case he had gone whack.

He told me he got a job working one of the carnival joints, and had been traveling with them ever since. He had borrowed one of the carnie’s cars to come and get me, and he wanted me to go with him on the road. The car, by the way, was an ancient, creaky, Rambler station wagon that had a push-button transmission. You literally pushed buttons that looked like radio buttons on the dash to shift into gear. It bore a quite startling resemblance to a hearse. That should have told me something.

But what can I say? I couldn’t see a future in Nacogdoches, Texas, and it all sounded very romantic to an eighteen-year-old soul. I went.

Throughout the fall of 1978, we traveled with the Love Brother’s Show from town to town all over Texas and up into southern Oklahoma and southern and eastern New Mexico. We drove the joint trailer when traveling—he worked the Mickey Mouse joint, where you squirt water in Mickey’s mouth so the balloon runs up the wall above it.

Occasionally, when we’d just been paid, we could afford a hotel room, but most of the times, we slept on the floor of that joint, wrapped up in everything we owned in order to stay warm.

Our time in El Paso was memorable, as well, but not for what happened on the fairgrounds. I had been promoted from running the little elephant ride for kiddies to the quarter joint, the one where the quarters are pushed forward by a sweep, and it’s easy for the mark to believe he can win if he can just put a quarter in the right place. But babysitting a joint is mind numbing and tedious, at best.

By this time Bryan was traveling with us. He had a red Pontiac GTO, and it was beautiful except the left front quarter-panel had been torn off. Bryan ran one of the ball toss joints. When I wasn’t working one of the other joints, he’d pay me a percentage every time I could toll a customer in by standing in front of the booth and juggling softballs with one hand, which I can still do, by the way. Bryan and Rodney became fast friends, for whatever reason that men do, not something I was ever able to decipher.

On this particular early fall evening, the rides all shut down at midnight, we buttoned up the joints, and he and Rodney decided we were all going to go over to Juarez, Mexico, just across the border. About a quarter-mile before we get to the border crossing, Rodney has Bryan stop the car, and he gets rid of the pot that he’s always got with him. Good thing, too, because we got stopped and strip-searched at the border before they let us through.

The boys had decided they wanted to go to a strip club… and then another and another. Watching a very bored naked person try to tie herself in a knot around a pole on top of a bar may possibly be the most pathetic thing ever. Bryan and Rodney were getting drunker and drunker, and I never drank much, so was the only one that was sober. I finally convinced Rodney it was time to go back over the border to Texas, but the very drunken Bryan objected, told him he wouldn’t give him the keys and sat down behind the wheel of the car and started it.

With no left front quarter panel, it was easy for an also very drunk Rodney to snatch the battery out from under the hood by the wires and start banging it on the hood of the vehicle. That brought the federales out from everywhere. They arrested us, took us down to jail, took every bit of money we had on us, and then kicked us out. Sober—or soberer, anyway—Bryan took us back to the border crossing into El Paso. We got stopped and strip searched again!

Come to find out that whoever had last rolled a joint had thrown the Zig-Zag papers up on the dashboard, where they couldn’t be seen from inside the car because of the angle, but could be seen very easily by the border guards.

Then we get into El Paso and get stopped less than a mile inside the city limits. There’s no pot in the car, and now there’s no rolling papers; we got rid of those, too. But Bryan apparently had hundreds of outstanding tickets in El Paso. The American cops took him away, but left the car for me and Rodney. By this time, it’s nearly 6 a.m., so we headed back to the carnival grounds to see if we can get some assistance to bail him out.

We must have found enough to get him out, but that part’s blurry. Everyone was busy packing it all up, as the carnival was about to slough (pronounced to rhyme with “ow”), or go into winter layover.

The next thing I remember, the three of us were in a mall in Las Cruces, and Bryan is writing a hot check to get his hair permed. He actually was a good-looking man before the perm. Afterward, since his hair was dirty blonde, he looked pretty much like a used cotton swab. And he is probably at least part of the reason that most places won’t take checks any more.

Sorry so long! There, you now know why I was with the carnival. Doesn't it always have to do with some guy?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Gloria :heartbreak: over what happened to your family.

Kim what a wonderful machine. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent advice Lisa. I agree with you that they probably have someone they want in Carol's spot. I loved your advice in staying positive in the face of such negative treatment. It also goes better when looking for another job. You only want to say positive things about a past employer, so staying positive in the current job gives you practice for your next interview. As difficult as it may be to do so. I also agree with the comment about how they are pushing her to blow her top and not letting them do that. What a great NSV!!!!! Hopefully Carol now that you are on to them it will make your days working there more tolerable.

I go by the three day rule when I am upset. I give myself three days to calm down. Often times I do not have all the facts. Even without all the facts of what is going on in the situation taking three days helps me often times put things into perspective. I also remind myself Just because I see the hook does not mean I need to bite" If I do bite I know why and what I am going to do about it. Proactive rather than reactive. Makes a huge difference.

After meeting Mary she is like you in that she gave clear and consistent expectations in her classroom. My comment was I would love to be in her class because it would be a great place to learn. I will say the same about you. The place you are helping straighten out would now be a great place to work because expectations and communications lines are much clearer.
    Sometimes others do try to sabotage what you are doing for their own agenda. In the long run they do respect you when you stand firm and often times their underhanded actions get them fired.

I have told my sons in almost any job there will be those you can count on to have your back, those who you do your job Ill do mine, those who do the minimum, and those who will make your job harder. My advice is to define with the help of your supervisor what is your job and do that to the absolute best of your ability if you find you are able after that always be willing to help others when you can. You cannot control how others do their jobs (Unless you are a supervisor) you can manage only your own.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Now i did take notes will I get them typed out maybe maybe not but been here for 2 hours need to take a break shower and start my day.
    Went to the wii and had another good loss it's coming off and blood sugar was down not to normal yet but down.
    So I'm doing something right.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Carol, Your work story reminds me of what happened to a good friend of mine years ago. She, like you, is an amazing, caring, hardworking woman and was working at a job where they seemed to over criticize and under appreciate her while expecting long hours of work. One morning when she got up, she prayed for guidance about what to do about her job and when she got to work, she got fired. Since then she has gone on to better jobs where they appreciate how awesome she is. Maybe this is the higher power doing for you what you couldn't do for yourself. Another mentor of mine says "Sometimes 'No' is a gift....take this as the springboard to better things
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lisa, very wise advice! And I loved your story about the carnie!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be MIA. Went in with another colon blockage Thursday night. No surgery this time, just waiting it out. Should go home this afternoon or tomorrow. I sure wish they could figure out what's causing this.

I hate tubes in my nose to drain my stomach.

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Mary, sorry about the flat. Was it on the car or the trailer? Hope it didn’t take too long a wait before you were on your way again.

Maryann, you are so right that it is easier and more fun to exercise with a buddy. Wish I had one.  Congrats on increasing the size of your exercise group. I do have lots of buddies but none of them want to exercise.

Carol, I had to laugh but know you are right about figuring out things like, “can I reach the TP”, when preparing for the surgery. I had a broken wrist a few years ago and that was bad enough. I can’t even imagine what you ladies have to go through with shoulder surgery. My heart really goes out to you.

Michele, what a good girl to throw away the rest of your taster cakes. I’m impressed. So glad Vince is doing well. You take care.

MNMargaret, love the pictures!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Katla, glad you made it home and I know there is nothing like sleeping in your own bed. If you don’t want to spend the weekend with DS this weekend could you maybe schedule it for the future? I’m bad about turning down opportunities because I’m lazy and it’s just too much trouble, but I’m trying to get better about it.

Linda, it sounds like you are moving in the right direction. More energy is a great thing. Happy you are back.

Allison, aka: Debby Downer, I totally understand what you are saying and understand how you feel. Sometimes I think It’s the ones that give the most that are appreciated the least. Know that you are a great person and deserve only the best. Even though you are blessed in many ways, you have the right to be happy and have joy in your life. Part of that is to look long and hard at what would give you that joy. It’s okay to be selfish and go after it. I know you want to work things out with Tom and I don’t see him bringing you much joy but that is a choice only you can make. And whatever you decide will bring you joy, just ask for it. You are allowed. (((Hugs))) Glad you are going to the Fair and hope you have a good time!!!

Miriam, I find the pillow damns work for me with my current shoulder problems. If I sleep on my good side, I have to prop pillows behind my back so my bad shoulder can prop against them and not lean forward.

Linda, reading your post from this morning just made me feel good! Thank you. It sounds like you had a great day yesterday I’m glad to hear that you are having a good day and it’s even raining where you are. I laughed at you saying, “would even invite you in to my house got it straighted out to” because I thought, I rarely feel like my house is presentable to where I’d want to invite someone over. It’s not dirty, it’s just not spiffy.  It was never like this when we were younger so I don’t know what changed? Glad you are back.

Terri, yes the pj’s will get baggier as time goes on, then you will be buying a smaller size.

Mary, it looks like DH is making progress. I thought you were going to rent a sprayer?

Vicki, I hope you enjoy your ride tomorrow. Sending good thoughts for DH and his job. Good luck.

Mia, glad your back. And a huge CONGRATS on losing weight while on vacation!!! groupwave.gif I didn’t even know that was allowed??

Pip, what do you mean too small? They don’t make elastic waist pants in a size 1? Sounds like a pretty good shopping day. Won’t be long now. 

Heather, you are so sweet to look after the grands while DS and DDIL get away. I know it can be exhausting. I love the picture of the kids piled up. Too cute.

Meg, that was funny about DH going in the back when you were out front. LOL

MNMargaret, I love the sayings and the sculptures. Thanks for sharing.
    Polly, congrats for the numbers going down. Every little bit counts. Keep up the good work.

Jane, Hugs back at ya. 

Joyce, I hope Charlie will start tasting the food and eating better soon. It’s good that he went for a walk with you.

Barbie, I love the two commandments from “The Happiness Project. Thanks for sharing.

DrKatie, I know your sis appreciates you being there to help her. It does make us appreciate the things we have, when we are away from them for a while.

Carol, it sounds like that church has some real problems but you aren’t one of them. All I can say is it sounds like a needed change is past due. I hope you find something and move on without giving them another thought. I know I expect too much from people, but how could they make a change in the insurance without notifying you? Just shows where their heads are. ((((Hugs)))

Janetr, I’m sure you will fly through this next surgery with great results again. I’m with you in being concerned about Sylvia and not hearing from her, as well as JanetM.

Michele, did you stay up late because you had company? I’d have probably said good night and excused myself. Lol

Gloria, I’m so glad you don’t take to heart the blame your DS tries to give you. It’s terrible what happened but not like it can be undone at this point. And yes, it’s unreal how many people we all know that have been the victims of some type of abuse.

Penny, Woo Hoo on getting in your dress. That is a wonderful NSV and I hope to see a picture of you in it at some point in the future.

Lisa, I definitely agree that we should never write and send an email while hurt and/or angry. I have written but not sent a few of them over the years, only to go back and reword before I did hit send.

Sylvia, gosh, I hope they can figure out what is causing the problem, too. So good to hear from you! ((((Hugs))))

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

When I got on the computer this morning, I realized that I didn’t post all the notes I had taken yesterday afternoon and evening. Sorry for the long post.

“Aging may have slowed us down but it sure hasn’t shut us up!” jumpy.gif

Sending the best thought to all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning.... busy day today.... hopefully I get a walk in before it rains. And if I don't finish the tomatoes they will get cut up and put in the freezer!!

Have a great Sunday
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: I agree with Mary and would also love to see a picture of your work. :flowerforyou:

Penny: What a marvelous NSV! Congratulations for getting into your beautiful silk gown. When you are ready to wear it somewhere, please post a picture. :flowerforyou:

Lisa & MNMargaret: Great advice to Carol on communicating with a difficult person at work & handling a tough situation. :flowerforyou:

Linda in N Ontario: Great job! :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I'm sure your family stress is not helping your health. Sending prayers for you and for the family. :heart:

It looks as though we will have our son with us at Christmas and he would like to travel to some warm and festive area during the holiday. Savannah came up as a possibility as did New Orleans. Is either place a fun location in December? What about cost of accommodations? Does anyone have other suggestions? I suggested Victoria BC but he was there this summer and doesn't want to go again during the holidays. DH and I would love to stay at the Oregon Coast.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

4 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

lhannon - dam!!! u writing a book???? i will read your later lolololol!
    we are going to set up the spare bedroom and blow up the air mattress and make me a bed w/all the pillows i can find.

type to ya later.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ! ! !

Carol - I agree that it sounds like you are being set-up to fail. Take care of yourself ! ! ! You are in my prayers.

Becca - For getting in the minimum water, I use flavored drops, and measure it at the beginning of the day, then decide how much I need to drink and by what time frame. I also drink a full glass of water with my morning vitamins, not just a small amount to get the pills down. I know you will find a way that works for you.

Gloria - Thanks for sharing that traumatic story. Hugs and Prayers for everyone involved.

Penny - congrats on your NSV.

Sylvia - Hugs and prayers for your continued health issues. I hope a cause is found and corrected quickly.

"Things" sure are moving, so I'm thankful that I decided to not leave the house this weekend. My goal is to take a shower at 3:00pm, because I have to start drinking the yucky stuff at 4:00pm. I know that any loss my scale shows tomorrow doesn't count, because today is emptying day, but I hope the loss I saw this morning does count, because I recorded it. I have some low-fat soups for Monday after the procedure, so my body doesn't pack on too much when I start eating again. Any suggestions?

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Michelle, you asked me what I will be fixing for Charlie. Well I'm sorry, you healthy eaters, this may be to harsh for your healthy hearts. He loves the butterfly pork chops, cooked until almost done then add a can of cream of mushroom soup. Add several servings of mashed potatoes with lots of butter in it along with green beans that I doctor up with salt, pepper, butter and a cube of chicken buillion, a side of salad and several slices of jellied cranberry sauce. Now I know he won't eat all of that now so I won't offer it all now.another dish is my version of Salisbury steak which is ground beef, doesn't like the healthy stuff, doctored up with onions and salt . I cook it the way I do with the pork chops. He thinks you can just put cream of mushroom soup on mashed potatoes and it's good. Sloppy joes with cottage cheese, an old family recipe called Minnestronie burgers which is ground beef a can of Minnestronie soup and then put on half a bun with a piece of cheese. He loves Mac and cheese, Velveeta. So those plus, Little Debbie Swiss cake rolls and also some almonds is what I bought him to get him to eat. I got me some chicken breasts, salad, more fruit, fresh veggies along with my usual lean ham, eggs, etc.

He did at least thank me for all I have done and my acceptance of getting him home. I don't think men understand the female emotion. I mean 3 weeks ago yesterday when I walked into his room, thinking I would be taking him home, I walk into his room and he can't put together a phrase or word. I am thinking life changing stroke where my Karaoke husband will never talk or sing anymore. He doesn't know why I am sail emotional about this past 3 weeks.

Ok, I am done. It's time for me to get on with life. Tomorrow hopefully is the last phase in this journey and life will get back to normal.

Joyce

Hey Girls,
    Just caught up reading... Whew. Love it though! Before I miss my opportunity I want to wish PIP and Janet R? Good luck and quick recovery on their upcoming operations. A big Yahoo! For Miriam about the kids! I missed the embroidery machine pics, and would love to see Cheryl's? Horsey pics as I used to own a couple and miss them dearly!
    I've got to go get ready for work which mostly entails finding something that doesn't fall down nor pinch as I am bw sizes at the moment. Would LOVE to chat more but really got to scamper! Um I don't want to embarrass myself by possibly posting this twice...but did I mention I was Employee of the Week last week (my second week)?! I was stupefied and thought at first aww they must give that too newbies to encourage them, but had several coworkers comment to me that they have been there x amount of time and haven't gotten it. I guess it's based on customer compliments. Anyway off to be my Sunny Self at WF!
    Love to u all!
    Mindy from Boston
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Allison
    Doing something positive and for yourself. That's two feet forward. Good job.

Bwcotc
    Only you can take control of yourself. That's one steering wheel that is yours.

Katla
    Always nice to get home and to your own bed. Next trip see son.

Mary
    Sounds like us getting ready for winter. Did a bunch of tomatoes up and was thinking for all the work is it worth it.Canned tomatoes were on special for a buck a can. LOL.

Hi Barbie
    I never did audio a friend does it and loves it. I do love to read in fact I have two books on the go. Had one at cottage and one in trailer now there both at cottage. I don't read much at home. I'm always on here.

Terri
    Thanks for encouragement. Hope your doctor is as good as mine. I never felt a thing. And hope you get the same great results. Mine were great.

Mirriam
    How foolish is that for U Haul company not everyone has road side assistance. Hope there responsible for the flats.

Heather
    your babysitting holiday is drawing an end. How sad is that.

Virginia
    Blueberry or berry picking is in my blood. I got lots this year. And i'm looking to go again tomorrow.

Becca
    Nice date out with hubby.

Penny
    Won't be long you will have that dress on. Wearing it proudly.

DJ
    I do feel like doing so much more in the field of housework when i'm doing good for myself.

Well that's it for now. My day is rolling good going to be a perfect weekend yea. You all know how hard they are to muster.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Lisa ... Wisdom and Wit! Finish that restaurant gig and get back to your writing!! Your advice was spot on and I loved the carnie story ... Thank you for a great laugh!

Carol ... I would take Lisa's advice ... You have a lot to offer.

Sylvia ... So sorry yore having problems again!

Mindy ... I don't remember you mentioning "employee of the week" ... Yay you!!

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well us old ladies are just having a ton of problems right now! Carol, I would just say good y to that church, pray for them though. When God closes a door He will surely open a window. Take Lisa's advice and maybe look for work in he chore corporate world. You have he ability. Let her help you also. If anyone can turn some one around it is Lisa. Sylvia, the old nose hose again????? What in the world is wrong.

Did it again, I slept when I was supposed to be getting up for church. I hope this does not turn into a habit since I know what that turns into for me. Then it becomes a lifestyle for me and I don't go back to church again for 5 years.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    afternoon friends~
    well pretty uneventful day.. yes it is our 18th wedding anniversary, but wont say it is Happy. I got up and out of bed at 4:15 and went grocery shopping at 2 stores, then by the time i got home,had time enough to put the refrigerated stuff away and go feed DFIL, he pigged out this morning.. pancakes, eggs, toast,wheaties, coffee and milk, then Tom and I went out to breakfast..had buy 1 get one free meal for Dennys so we used that. then home, and we mowed the lawn and washed the cars,made beef stew and pumpkin pie, cranberry bread and will make a casserole. thinks I can stick in the freezer and reheat for Toms dinner.. he did get me a card,and just signed it XOXO, and I got him one too. Tried talking to him but he has no answers right now..
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi friends. We had fun last night at the Oktoberfest; good food, stayed within my limits. It was crowed…I bet 5000 people were there! I had driven by it on my way to getting my nails done and the parking lot was already full at 1130! Today is beautiful; I’m doing a bit of gardening and in a minute going to start dinner; baked chicken…yum.

Alison: I hope things go well today…happy anniversary although I am not sure that is the right thing to say; in any event I’m thinking of you!

Polly: I bet the puppy appreciated the walk!

Bwcetc: good day for you today!

Kim: are you safe from the fires?

Joyce: sending you and Charley prayers

Drkatie: sending healing prayers for your sister

Carol: wow what a nightmare at work! I do hope you can get a position where your talents are respected and appreciated!

Kim: I can’t understand why anyone would time a person in the bathroom or care how long she was in there! Good grief. I think many people need to worry more about themselves. I did chuckle over the diarrhea explanation though!

Becca; sounds like you are having a grand time!

Penny: your dress sounds fabulous, but when you said turn of the century I ‘m thinking…wait how old are you!!!!!
    LOL Ikeep forgetting we just had a turn of the century not too long ago!

Lisa: you sound like a dream supervisor!

Lin: keep working onthat blood sugar!

Sylvia: oh my goodness! I wish they could figure this all out too1 Take care!

DJ: you always write such great notes and responses to everyone and they are appreciated!

Katla: well my suggestion would be a cruise. One of my cruises was over Christmas and it was fun. Savannah is a great town but I haven’t been there over the holidays. What fun you will have!

Teri: I don’t think you need to worry about that! Your body will go back to normal quickly!

Mindy: congrats on being employee of the week!

OK time to get that old chicken out and into the oven! We are also having sweet potatoes for the first time this fall…yum! Take care, meg from omaha