WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Joyce, it was not hard since it is my sister's son that is the awful parent. My girls are my sister's granddaughters. I was sad for the girls that their parents didn't even bother to show up.

Pip, I have a torn rotator cuff and separated shoulder from a fall 14 years ago. For a long time I could only sleep on my back with one pillow against my side holding my shoulder slightly up and forward. Then I found I could sleep on my side but only on my BAD side with FOUR pillows under my head to take the weight off my shoulder. If I slept on my good shoulder, the bad one would fall forward and hurt. Sometimes I could make a stack of five pillows to support it in front of me on my side. Sleeping on a couch on the good side, leaning slightly back against the couch would also keep my shoulder from falling forward. It probably is a good thing I have been single all these years or my pile of pillows would be driving some man crazy! I also find I have to support my bad arm with a pile of pillows when I sit in bed to read. Sitting in a chair is most comfy if I can rest my arm on the armrest or on a table in front of me. It doesn't like just hanging, still. PT has helped a lot.

Margaret, great pictures. Lovely family!

Terri, love the pjs. I tend to like the biggest nightgown I can find just because I hate constricting clothing when I sleep. I don't care if it is falling off my shoulders. Before kids I always slept in the nude, but have always had someone else in the house since then.

Sylvia, thinking about your granddaughter and hoping she starts healing.

Mary, I know all about what you are going through. Back in '79 we got a flat tire in a U-Haul trailer in the middle of no where in New Me><aco. Hours and hours of waiting by the roadside. It took hours just to get to a phone to call U-Haul and even more for them to get to us!

Lisa, reading your list of careers I am reminded of my classes for my masters in Rehabilitation Counseling where the prof talked about the average person spends only 7 years in an area before moving on to something else. The hardest people to help find new careers after a disability are the ones who are very talented and gifted since they have trouble picking just ONE thing to focus on. We have to constantly reassure them that they can move on to other things once their interest wanes. Really gifted people get bored after they learn a job and want to learn something else!

I love reading about everyone's wins and loses. I keep all of your troubles in my heart hoping for strength and healing for all of you.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Janet, that area of Arkansas, Oklahoma and Te><as is lovely! I remember camping at the state park at the border that has a huge natural slide- so much fun! Safe travels!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Allison
    I hope that's you. I just yesterday was talking with a friend and we were talking about being in the dumps. Like a little down but not depressed. If we can keep shaking it off we will be fine. I think that happens to most of us. I was I call it being lazy but really I was in the dumps. I pulled out got myself back on track. Did volunteering yesterday for the first time in a long time. And this morning I would even invite you in to my house got it straighted out to. So all is well on the home front.
    You will get over it. And the people who are treating you wrongly will regret it in there own foolish way.

Take care of #1

Lisa
    Great for taking action right away. And losing the weight.

Those of you on flats
    First thing hubby told me when I was learning to drive. Your going to learn how to change a flat. And I have changed many . Those blueberry roads are gravel and they cause flats. Lucky this year no gravel roads where I went.

well ten o'clock and lots done and danced to two fast tunes before hubby got back from coffee. Raining out and if I want to get my steps i'll have to do the wii or threadmill. Oh well could be worst I guess.

Well that's it for today so far.
    See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Well ,decided to go with my brother and SIL to the Big E huge fair in mass.I'm not great with crowds and will stick close .Tom can hang out with the dogs,I'm going and having a good time :p
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Allison ... I agree with Lisa ... And enjoy your day!

Lisa .... Still waiting on circus details!

Taking the collective advice of this group today and moving forward with my life and my goals ... I've been yo-yoing too long and I'm fed up. Today is my new day!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: Lisa has a good point. We do teach people how to treat us. Retraining people who have bad habits is possible but takes time. You need to tell the person they have been unkind. They may not realize their words are hurtful. The challenge for you is that you have to say something to let them know they're out of line. I have trouble speaking up for myself sometimes, and I know how hard it can be to say something. :flowerforyou:

We have been home about 16 hours after being away two weeks. DS and DDIL would like us to come for an overnight. I really want to see them, but I also want to be in my own home and my own bed. We need to give them a call and make plans that will work for everyone.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Lisa-good of advice for Allison. Congratulations on your weight loss!

Allison-have a great day! Good for you getting up and doing something to have fun.

Miriam- it took us three hours before we were able to get back on the road! First he came and assessed the situation then he had to run to the nearest U-Haul and take a tire off of a trailer. Then come back and put it on. Seems like he should've been prepared first time.

Janetr- thinking of you and your upcoming surgery. We will be here for you.

Pip - glad to see you Papi noon! It seems like you had a lot of responses to how to handle your shoulder situation after surgery. I know that sweat pants or pull-ups like skirts would be a great idea things that you do not need to button unless you are going to get a lot of help. You will handle it really well I'm sure.

I didn't get to sleep until after 3 AM and got up at 8 o'clock to do my SL5X5 then we are going to start painting the cabin and The garage. My DH got a sprayer so that it will be easier to get in between the cedar shakes.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

How do you get audio books on your phone?

Mary from Minnesota

:) Mary, I check out audio books from my local library. They are connected to several sources of audio books so you can check them out....each of them has a free easy to download app for listening....there is a bit of a learning curve to figure it out but not difficult. I can use the search feature on my library website to find something I want to listen to and then download it to my phone and listen to it just like I listen to music or podcasts that I've downloaded. They are free to check out just like checking out books from the library.

<3 Barbie

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Alison good to hear you are doing something for you.

TAKING CARE OF YOU IS NOT SELFISH. It is quite the opposite and others respect you for it in the long run.

I understand that you feel taken advantage. I agree with Lisa in that finding that balance and sticking up for yourself assertively can change how others react to you. The hard part is often others intensify their negative behavior towards you because they are resisting the change. They enjoy having that kind of power even if it is wrong. Again that is why "JUST because I see the hook does not mean I need to bite." The more firm and calm you can stay as you change the more quickly the will give up resistance to your change. I also it is easier said then done. We believe in you.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2015
    Options
    MNMargaret - good advice!

Barbie- thanks for the information.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Well we are on our way home, poor Jean got heat stroke almost so we were there for only a couple of hours..better than nothing.well will go home and see if his attitude has changed any.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ! ! !

Miriam - Congrats ! ! !

DJ - The white diet is just what I call the colonoscopy prep. As a general rule I do my best to avoid white foods except milk and bananas (complex carb, you know). Today, more white food, tomorrow just clear liquids. I've pretty much decided that I'm not leaving the house until Monday. Partly because of the prep, partly because white carbs are trigger foods for my RA and I'm not allowed to take my RA medicine until Tuesday, so it's harder to get around, and I don't want to be too far from my new favorite throne.

Maryann - Congrats on avoiding the fried foods. We used to own a Bar & Grill, so I know how had it is to make that change. Keep up the good work. If your son already adopted the healthy habits, you are lucky to have that kind of support.

Carol to Pip - Nice job remembering the shoes. I had to have DS tie mine for me. Doing my own hair was a problem, too (especially since DH has been bald for many decades), so I had a standing appointment for a shampoo at the local Beauty School.

Margaret - Great pictures of a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing.

Linda - what a great start on your steps for the day. And congrats on your Wii recording a loss. You are rocking this again already !

Allison - I just wish I could whisk you away from all of that. My Dad is my role model for my attitude and behavior, and I am still miles away from being the person I wish I could be, but here are some of the clichés he has sent me or said to me over the years (plus 1 from Dr. Phil). #1) We teach people how to treat us. I have no idea how to change the way people look at and treat us, but I just keep trying to #2) "kill them with kindness", at least until they have knocked me over the edge, and then I let them have it ! #3) "Dear God, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth". I'm also not very good at this one, but I do my best to keep trying. #4) Love the people who treat you right; Pray for the people who don't. This is at my desk, in easy view of anyone standing behind me (co-workers). Women are catty and sometimes downright mean. I hope you are able to remember that everyone here loves you, we all are accepting of each others differences, and truly only want what is best for you. I also found many suggestions in a book called "The Dance of Anger". The author has other "The Dance of . . ." books, but I think the theory is the same. Many, Many hugs and good wishes for you to find the right words at the right time, and for your good karma to find you and their bad karma to find them. Peace and Hugs ! ! ! // Oh, look at that, Lisa and many others have said something very similar. We really DO all love you so much, and believe in your success ! Enjoy your day today ! ! !

Beth - New Day. Go get it ! ! !

Thanks everyone for the positive comments about my new pajamas. I don't like anything too baggy, because then it gets all bunched up when I roll over. I wish these were a tiny bit looser, but clearance is clearance, and I KNOW they will get baggier over the next few weeks/months/etc. DH teased me that it looks like a 1930's swimsuit.

DH is back home again. He did some coaching at youth bowling. I hope he gets all kinds of kids asking him for help. He said DS threw a 651 today, so that is good, too. He still hasn't made it to 700, so that is his next goal. I guess the boys decided to not start their new job today, so they are just hanging out at someone's house who lives near a basketball park. I love when boys are able to be outside boys. Now I'm going to get back to the thumbless mittens for my nephews baby girl coming in October. If I can get them done over the weekend, they can go in the box with the blanket. I will try to take a picture to post later.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    t84aavyzp47w.jpg

This is Inn in progress shot of my DH painting the cabin!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! I am working the 6-4:30 shift. Boss comes it at 4 so don't have to work with her long. Yesterday was a lazy day, didn't do much. Went out for supper with our CMA group and I did well. We took the dogs to the dog park Thursday evening and were walking along and I tripped over a tree root. This is the 3rd time I have falled in less then two weeks. Feel like such a kultz.

Carol--How terrible about the job. I pray the other one works out for you.

Becca--Hugs. I know that most my siblings I am the one that calls, sends cards.

Mary--What a beautiful place to walk.

Allison--How fun. I wish I was closer so could give you a big hug. Please don't give up.

Joyce--One Day at a Time and put yourself first. Sending hugs and prayers.

miriam--Great news, hope the rest goes well and fast for you.

Terri--Congrates on your new PJ"S.

Well I am all caught up and not alot to say. Pray everyone has a good rest of the weekend. DH and I are riding the motorcycle to Scotia tomorrow since I am off. It's about 60 miles. Going to a biker church service. Not sure what we will do after, DH's job is having a pinic over in Kearney about 45 miles the other way from home. He is upset with them as their assisant manager quit and they want DH to take the job. He used to do that and doesn't want to go back to as it would be serveral evenings a week and weekends. They kind of told him if he doesn't take it they may just fazz out his job. What a bunch of sh**. So have to see what happens.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Alison good to hear you are doing something for you.

TAKING CARE OF YOU IS NOT SELFISH. It is quite the opposite and others respect you for it in the long run.

I understand that you feel taken advantage. I agree with Lisa in that finding that balance and sticking up for yourself assertively can change how others react to you. The hard part is often others intensify their negative behavior towards you because they are resisting the change. They enjoy having that kind of power even if it is wrong. Again that is why "JUST because I see the hook does not mean I need to bite." The more firm and calm you can stay as you change the more quickly the will give up resistance to your change. I also it is easier said then done. We believe in you.

:heart: MNMargaret

This is so true!!! Treat yourself with kindness n respect, people will follow. If you can, stop having these people in your life. I know it's hard, sometimes you have to let go to grow! Gayle Minneapolis
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    t84aavyzp47w.jpg

This is Inn in progress shot of my DH painting the cabin!

Mary from Minnesota

Send my way, house could use it!!! Did you get all this rain?? Gayle Minneapolis
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am home again. Had a great vacation.

Lost 3 lbs over the past week. Yay! I lost weight on a vacation. Even better, I am now the lowest I have been on this weight loss journey. Meaning the 12 week plateau may have finally been broken.

I have gone through and caught up on all of the picture I have missed. Now to go back and read what everyone has been up to.

I missed you guys.

Mia in MI
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    hello peeps. 5 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!

just got home from working out, going to goodwill, starbucks, ross dress for less, macy's, penny's and now home! geez i hate shopping ! found a front zip up sports bra at macy's for 50 bucks, ! no way, found one at penny's for 16 bucks, SCORE!! found a front clasp bra for 40 bucks, oh well, can't win 'em all. i am down another cup size WHOOO HOOOO!!!! found 2 bigger button up shirts at goodwill, they will work for now...

everyone is giving you good advice grandmallie, i won't chime in.
    congrats for your loss miakoda40!!

i'm thinking that i might end up making a make shift bed in the spare room so Yogi won't trample on me by accident. I'm too small to wear elastic waist pants. i have stuff that i will be able to wear on the bottom part of me. i have slip on shoes so that won't be a problem (i will wear my vibrams)

gotta start laundry, type to ya later.