Dairy? Yes or No

1235»

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Read Eat to Live and The China Study then decide if you want or need dairy products in your diet.

Sorry, I would rather follow a few millennia of humans testing on themselves (and becoming healthier as a result) than a few crackpots with their special agenda.

How dare you stick to reality!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    If you aren't intolerant to dairy....enjoy it! :smile:
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member

I'm intolerant to those who are intolerant to dairy. :wink:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

You can still enjoy it even if you are intolerant to dairy, as I pointed out above. This is the 21st century, after all, and we've multiple ways that people with such problems are given alternatives.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »

You can still enjoy it even if you are intolerant to dairy, as I pointed out above. This is the 21st century, after all, and we've multiple ways that people with such problems are given alternatives.

Correct. The little bugs that ferment milk for us into different forms of deliciousness do all the hard work and break down lactose (a disaccharide of β-galactose and glucose) so even lactose "intolerators" can enjoy them.

If your fermented milk product contains any of these little bugs, it's lactose-intolerant safe:

Bifidobacterium breve
    Bifidobacterium infantis
    Bifidobacterium longum
    Lactobacillus acidophilus
    Lactobacillus casei
    Lactobacillus bulgaricus
    Lactobacillus rhamnosus
    Streptococcus thermophilus
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I just couldn't imagine my life without diary. In the last 24 hours In have snacked on 100g of cottage cheese, ate garlic bread topped with cheese and had milk in my oats and milk in my cups of tea.

If I believed all the food and life style choices will give you cancer stories I'd have died 20 years ago from malnutrition!
  • Bjennin7
    Bjennin7 Posts: 64 Member
    bekko57 wrote: »
    i am hearing lots of things lately about dairy and how our body's don't need it.. Linking it to cancer? If so, why do pediatrician still recommend that kids drink milk when they can get more calcium from almond milk?

Studies have linked dairy to cancer, but correlation doesn't equal causation. I would not pay these studies any mind until there is a link due to causation.

The human body is able to digest milk because of an evolutionary mutation of the lactase chromosome. Literally: the human genome was permanently altered the more our ancestors ingested milk. In this sense the people who are lactose intolerant are the 'normal' ones haha... I don't personally drink a lot of dairy because I do not agree with the mass-production industry. I don't drink almond milk either because I discovered how much water almonds need to grow (they contribute to a lot of draughts in CA!!). I'd say eat what you want, but always in moderation.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    bekko57 wrote: »
    i am hearing lots of things lately about dairy and how our body's don't need it.. Linking it to cancer? If so, why do pediatrician still recommend that kids drink milk when they can get more calcium from almond milk?

Missed this so far. Who told you almond milk can provide children (or anyone else) with calcium? Almond milk is very low on calcium compared to milk. Furthermore, calcium needs fat to be absorbed by the body, and almond milk has little to no fat (do not confuse almonds wiht almond milk) and is also very low in proteins.
    If you mean almond milk fortified with calcium, you could say the same for any fortified beverage, or just take supplements and skip the almond milk.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i love dairy and will not desist from eating it.
    cheese in my sandwich, string cheese and yogurt with lunch, milk with dinner and/or ice cream.
    mmmm dairy