Dairy? Yes or No

Options

Replies

• dontgiveup2319
    dontgiveup2319 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Milk is good for your bones. It's good to get some kind of calcium in each day. I'm slightly allergic to milk but I'm obsessed with milk so I drink it still. When it comes to yogurt or cheese I do not consume it unfortunately....too much dairy can make you fat but dairy is not bad for you.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Humans are the only animals that produce and drive cars. Why?

So we can drive to our local source and buy dairy products!

Seriously though.... As with anything else diet related if you go to extremes or consider those with intolerance for certain foods just about any food group could be considered bad. In moderation and proper diet just about every food has it's place. Including dairy.
  • doralim1990
    doralim1990 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No. Cow's milk is to nourish the baby cow therefore it is fattening as hell. I have also found out that i have lactose intolerant . It makes me bloated like i was 5 months pregnant!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Dairy ISN'T needed in the diet............that's true. But I'll be damned if I give up yogurt, cheese and ICE CREAM. As for cancer.............you can get it from sunlight, a cell phone, breathing in smog, etc.

Ummm... no you really can't.
    Unless you're talking to your MIL 2hrs/day. Badum tss... I'll be here all day.
    IARC lists it as a potential carcinogen. The fact that you won't get it from a cellphone but people act like it causes cancer is ninerbuff's point.
    IARC also lists being a night shift worker as being a carcinogen. Think about that. Working at night is a carcinogen.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The idea that milk causes cancer seems to come from The China Study which is a correlative "study" based on looking at diets in various parts of the world. It lacks scientific rigor as a claim.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No. Cow's milk is to nourish the baby cow therefore it is fattening as hell. I have also found out that i have lactose intolerant . It makes me bloated like i was 5 months pregnant!

Whole milk can be fattening, it can also help you meet your fat macro. I choose to drink skim because I prefer the taste and I get my fat from butter and whole milk cheese (and my 1/2 &1/2 in my morning coffee).

Regarding the whole "milk is only for baby cows" thing: milk (whether it is from cows, goats, sheep, yaks, buffalo, etc) was discovered by early man to be a nutritious addition to our diets. The thing that distinguishes man from other animals is our ability to see cause and effect and use this discovery for our benefit. Some early man thought he would try milk (maybe out of curiosity, maybe out of desperation), and it was good. Man farms milk, and has for millenia, because it is beneficial to him. Most milk eaten by early man was fermented (yogurt, kefir, cheese, etc) in order to preserve it. Up until the famine, Irish peasants were considered to be among the healthiest in the world. Why? Their diet was primarily potatoes and buttermilk. Those two foods, in combination, provided a large majority of the needs of the people.

Don't drink hippo milk though, it is pink.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Whole milk can be fattening, it can also help you meet your fat macro. I choose to drink skim because I prefer the taste and I get my fat from butter and whole milk cheese (and my 1/2 &1/2 in my morning coffee).

Regarding the whole "milk is only for baby cows" thing: milk (whether it is from cows, goats, sheep, yaks, buffalo, etc) was discovered by early man to be a nutritious addition to our diets. The thing that distinguishes man from other animals is our ability to see cause and effect and use this discovery for our benefit. Some early man thought he would try milk (maybe out of curiosity, maybe out of desperation), and it was good. Man farms milk, and has for millenia, because it is beneficial to him. Most milk eaten by early man was fermented (yogurt, kefir, cheese, etc) in order to preserve it. Up until the famine, Irish peasants were considered to be among the healthiest in the world. Why? Their diet was primarily potatoes and buttermilk. Those two foods, in combination, provided a large majority of the needs of the people.

if my family's irish-immigrant-to-america stories are right, potatoes, bread and dairy (milk and butter especially) were the major calorie sources for them. The kids would get some sugar as well, in their tea, and sprinkled on bread.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

if my family's irish-immigrant-to-america stories are right, potatoes, bread and dairy (milk and butter especially) were the major calorie sources for them. The kids would get some sugar as well, in their tea, and sprinkled on bread.

That was typical of the Irish peasants (although bread wasn't as common because of the lack of land to grow wheat and the cost to purchase it), which is why the potato failure in the mid 1800's was so devastating. They ate that out of necessity, but it turned out to be more healthy than the primarily grain based diets of other European peasants. Scottish peasants didn't do too bad either with the oat and milk based diets they lived on. Long live the oat!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That was typical of the Irish peasants (although bread wasn't as common because of the lack of land to grow wheat and the cost to purchase it), which is why the potato failure in the mid 1800's was so devastating. They ate that out of necessity, but it turned out to be more healthy than the primarily grain based diets of other European peasants. Scottish peasants didn't do too bad either with the oat and milk based diets they lived on. Long live the oat!

And so we get Samuel Johnson's definition of "oat": "a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people."
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Think about it like this... We humans are the only species in this planet that drinks milk of other animals after childhood.

We are the only species that plants and eats broccoli too. Or makes Cheetos.

Think about that.

• ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with cheese so it's definitely staying in my diet! Which is why I chose to go low carb but not Paleo.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Lactose free milk works wonders. There's also lactose free cottage cheese, and ice cream, and in some places, sour cream and other products. I've found some dairy-free versions of cream cheese, ricotta cheese, and sour cream as well that I use for tacos and to make things like lasagna.
    As far as cheeses, any cheese that has been aged for more than 30 days has no lactose in it.
    there are lots of alternatives for those of us who are lactose intolerant.
    And fat is good for you, your body needs it. Just eat foods that contain fat in moderation, just like everything else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is no more "fattening" than the number of calories it includes.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Cow's milk is no more "fattening" than the number of calories it includes.

You can say that again... but wait, I just helped you do that!

• akchildress24
    akchildress24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Read Eat to Live and The China Study then decide if you want or need dairy products in your diet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Cows Milk is fine if you don't mind sugar, growth hormones, antibiotics, and pus......hmmmm.......

So, I cannot eat anything processed (pre packacged, frozen, restaurant food) as these will have also something in this list. Ok, fine with this, back to the basics:
    I cannot eat fruit. They have evil sugar. Fruit, out.
    I cannot eat vegetables that are not certified organic. And even then, who knows if they truly are organic. Or organic milk woudl have been an option too, so no. I could grow them myself, assuming I had a big piece of land, away from other farmers who might use pesticides etc. Not very realistic, so no more vegetables.
    Meat is obviously out, if dairy is out.
    Fish, no way. Mercury or whatever else is in the sea these days, and of course if fish is nto wild, we are back to same problems as dairy. Fish, out.
    This leaves grains, which I assume have the same problems as vegetables, not to mention a good chance of being genetically modified, so no more grains.
    Hmm, now, if I could move somewhere in the wilds and live on nuts I collect myself from the forest, this might work? Or I could eat nothing? And what about water? I have no springs around, and tap water has chlorine!

• LKArgh
    Options

Had to google it and now I am hurt. Your sources are not valid :(
    http://www.jimmo.org/hippopotamus-milk-is-not-pink/
    Human milk can turn too pink for the same reason (blood) by the way. Still safe to consume.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Read Eat to Live and The China Study then decide if you want or need dairy products in your diet.

And read Harry Potter if you want to decide if you want to live in the UK.

Read actual science instead of stuff people wrote to get your money.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Vegan propaganda

And The China Study? Really?

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/
  • LKArgh
    Options

And read Harry Potter if you want to decide if you want to live in the UK.

Read actual science instead of stuff people wrote to get your money.

My 8 year has just finished the 5th volume in the series and he wants to move to UK. Are you saying there is something wrong with his logic? Won't he transfer to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft if we move there?