CARB CYCLERS UNITE....

Options

Replies

• thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I had a question I had asked elsewhere with little or no sensible response or advice. I'm not quite sure if this is carb cycling or carb re-feeding... Looking at some of the posts the 2 approaches seem to be mentioned in the thread. Anyway here is my question related to carb cycling; if you are reducing your carbs "by say" hundred calories per day for a four-day period and then have a higher carb day or a re-feed with 400 cals in addition to the norm.. Is this just cancelling out your gains (gains is probably the wrong word) or on your high carb day/re-feed a due increase your calories for carbs but still maintain an overall deficit?

PS, was just using this method is an example.. I'm very well aware of varying carbs low medium and high and also extending for longer periods before re-feeding. I was just looking for an answer on the overall calorific intake if that makes sense
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Laura - what is the Orange theory workout I see you get a good burn on?
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Thintribe- I'm a little lost with your question, so forgive me if I'm not on the same page with this answer. Most of us here follow a Chris Powells plan, or something similar where we not only carb watch but calorie watch. Even on our high carb days, we are still below our maintenance calories or BMR, so there is a calorie deficit at the end of the week. That deficit could be quite a lot depending on workouts, and where the individual sets their calorie goals. Is this the type of answer you were looking for ?
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Megan, what kind of workouts have you been doing lately ?
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Megan, what kind of workouts have you been doing lately ?

This month has been aerobics and strength training but the last few weeks I have only been doing the aerobics for 1 hour a day 6 days a week ....Next month will be Jillian Michael's 30day shred :)

• pwrfl1
    Options
    Megan - are you kidding me ? I'm doing shred too.... Would you like to join up ? I'm actually doing it now, but I'm stalled on level 2- it's been hugely beneficial - I was planning on starting over or do ripped in30 next month...
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thintribe- I'm a little lost with your question, so forgive me if I'm not on the same page with this answer. Most of us here follow a Chris Powells plan, or something similar where we not only carb watch but calorie watch. Even on our high carb days, we are still below our maintenance calories or BMR, so there is a calorie deficit at the end of the week. That deficit could be quite a lot depending on workouts, and where the individual sets their calorie goals. Is this the type of answer you were looking for ?
    Yep..that helps thanks..your still in a deficit..peachy. cheers

• pwrfl1
    Options
    mnuf93fe434f.jpg
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Megan - are you kidding me ? I'm doing shred too.... Would you like to join up ? I'm actually doing it now, but I'm stalled on level 2- it's been hugely beneficial - I was planning on starting over or do ripped in30 next month...

I would love to join you .... I am starting it October 1st ..... will be doing it 6 days a week with Sunday being my rest day .... I tried it in the past but was soooo sore that I didn't even get to level 2 ....now that I have been working out I am ready to do it and hopefully I won't be so sore :)
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Yay ! Sounds like a deal! It is an adjustment, but I'm sure you'll do fine ! I just went to level 3 after a few days off... It wasn't too bad. Although it was just my first day. I haven't been to good about doing it everyday, that's why I want to repeat it this next month.
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Are you doing it everyday for the month of Oct.? or are you gonna be like me and rest 1 day a week ?
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Laura - what is the Orange theory workout I see you get a good burn on?

It's a chain of fitness places that just started gaining popularity in my area. They only do smaller group fitness classes with a personal trainer. Half the class does cardio on the treadmill and the other half does rowing/weight floor exercises and then each group switches for the 2nd half of the class. Everyone gets a heart rate monitor that you strap on and your name and heart rate shows up on this big tv screen in the workout room so you can watch your progress. Your heart rate changes color as you reach different "zones" and the goal is to get it in the "orange" zone for a certain amount of time during your workout. Then after the class you get an email that provides all of your stats for the workout- calories burned, how much time spent in each zone, etc.

It's definitely different but it's really fun too! It has a friendly competitive element since you can see everyone's stats but you also connect with people in your group and you can definitely go at your own pace. I don't think I'll be able to keep up my membership just because it's kind of pricey and with my yoga studio and gym memberships it's just not realistic. But it's cool for now!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Laura - that sounds amazing ! What have you see as results ? I'm going to be starting to workout with a monitor or tracker in October...It will be interesting to see what I'm really burning as appossed to what MFP says .
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Megan - I will do it 6 days like you....
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    How is everyone's clothes fitting ? Any NSV to report ????
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    How is everyone's clothes fitting ? Any NSV to report ????

Well, my bras are now starting to get too big lol. :D Not sure if I'm as excited about that as I was with my pants...
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Haha Oh Laura ... Maybe they will be bounce back with the workouts you're doing ! Punn intended
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    No NSV for me this week :neutral: My jeans are still super tight. I think I need to cut back on sodium a bit. I'm going back to my modified carb cycling plan where I allow some fats on low carb day if within my calorie goals and eat 2,300 or less mg of sodium.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Tiff - sounds like a good plan. I eat fats on my low carb day....
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oops, I meant high carb day. I'm
    Supposed to eat fats on low carb day. Silly me :blush: