Diet Soda on a diet?

Options

Replies

• niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    HowlinAl wrote: »
    It isn't good for you. But it isn't going to hinder weight loss either. I drink a can or two a day.

Why isn't it good for you?

Ask your Dentist.

I'm not waiting 2 weeks for an appointment... you can tell me, no?

ph around 3.5.
    Acid erosion of your enamel.
    Not good for you.

An apple's ph value is around the same.

Tooth decay is not a single-factor disease. Time of exposure, diet choice, bacteria, and genetics all play roles in decay formation (those who've been drinking it constantly without tooth problems, lucky you!). The reason why acidic beverages are usually not suggested is because of the time in contact with teeth- I bet most people who really love them would sip on them for the entire day, but not that many people would take a bite of apple and let it sit there for a few minutes until juice come out, right?
    And plus that's another reason why they usually suggest people to swish water around after drinking soda. Since there's no way to make people quit their favorite beverage (or food), this is the only other way to reduce the risk of having more erosions from acid attack at the point when it happens...
    If your body is producing proper amounts of saliva, contact with your teeth should not exceed much more than the time it takes to swallow it down. And that takes generally longer with something you need to chew.

That's true! But for those who sip on it for the whole day, it really depends how other factors play in the game. (And hygiene as well)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and mio have been HUGE in my 50+ weight loss..I say embrace the 0cal-ness of it
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It does not affect weight loss.

Drink your diet soda.

Except it tastes nasty.....shiver.

Them's fightin' words, lady. :angry:

(Seriously though, the new formula for Diet Pepsi with the sucralose is pretty nasty imo)

I heard Diet Pepsi was switching to sucralose and was all :rage: I have tended to buy whichever costs less between Diets Coke and Pepsi, but now Pepsi is going to lose my business.

I actually prefer the flavor of aspartame to HCFS. That stuff's just awful :no_mouth:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It does not affect weight loss.

Drink your diet soda.

Except it tastes nasty.....shiver.

Them's fightin' words, lady. :angry:

(Seriously though, the new formula for Diet Pepsi with the sucralose is pretty nasty imo)

I heard Diet Pepsi was switching to sucralose and was all :rage: I have tended to buy whichever costs less between Diets Coke and Pepsi, but now Pepsi is going to lose my business.

I actually prefer the flavor of aspartame to HCFS. That stuff's just awful :no_mouth:

Pepsi Max seems to still be aspartame, and is zero calorie (supposedly).
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Diet soda and mio have been HUGE in my 50+ weight loss..I say embrace the 0cal-ness of it

A 0 cal soda killed my Pa! I'll never hug a can of that stuff.
  • maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    It isn't good for you. But it isn't going to hinder weight loss either. I drink a can or two a day.

Ask your Dentist.

I'm not waiting 2 weeks for an appointment... you can tell me, no?

ph around 3.5.
    Acid erosion of your enamel.
    Not good for you.

An apple's ph value is around the same.

Tooth decay is not a single-factor disease. Time of exposure, diet choice, bacteria, and genetics all play roles in decay formation (those who've been drinking it constantly without tooth problems, lucky you!). The reason why acidic beverages are usually not suggested is because of the time in contact with teeth- I bet most people who really love them would sip on them for the entire day, but not that many people would take a bite of apple and let it sit there for a few minutes until juice come out, right?
    And plus that's another reason why they usually suggest people to swish water around after drinking soda. Since there's no way to make people quit their favorite beverage (or food), this is the only other way to reduce the risk of having more erosions from acid attack at the point when it happens...
    If your body is producing proper amounts of saliva, contact with your teeth should not exceed much more than the time it takes to swallow it down. And that takes generally longer with something you need to chew.

And if you drink it through a straw it doesn't have to touch your teeth at all.

Only if the straw goes past your fauces.
    But then, that would be similar to intubating yourself with a orogastric tube to have a can of soda.
    Seems a bit extreme.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The carbonated drinks cause cellulite is stated by a nutritionist at a very high sports level. I guess I just took her word!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So if tooth demineralization starts with a pH level less than 5.5 and diet soda is around 3.5 (actually, that depends on the specific diet soda and many are lower), then OMG, we are all going to lose our teeth.

Except there are a lot of other "healthy" beverages that are in the same category (pH lower than 5.5). Lime juice is far lower than diet soda, as is lemonade, apple juice, and cranberry juice. Let's not forget Lipton Brisk, Nestea, V8, Propel, Snapple Tea for some specific brands.

In fact, acidophilus milk and buttermilk have a pH less than 5.5.

I think I'll take my chances...

Edit: I see the straw point has already been made.

Curses.
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I disagree with people who say diet soda is ok. There are recent studies that show diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I gave up soda and lost almost 9 pounds in a single month with no other diet changes
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    I disagree with people who say diet soda is ok. There are recent studies that show diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I gave up soda and lost almost 9 pounds in a single month with no other diet changes

Which studies?
    Bad in what way?
    Did you give up regular or diet soda?
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

I drank diet soda for nearly 20 years (and a lot of it each day for that time) and never took very good care of my teeth. My first cavity wasn't until 19 years after drinking diet soda. It's not scientific, but my experience says it doesn't matter.

It isn't good for your teeth no. As a trained dental nurse, no soda is good for your teeth. if you put a baby tooth in a glass of full fat coke overnight, it will have disolved. If you put it in a glass of diet coke, it will take about a month to disolve. Still not good for the teeth but no not as harmful. If you do want to drink it without affecting your teeth fully, only have it with meals. What causes decay is too many acid attacks on your teeth. If you are eating meals and then having sugary/acidic food/drinks inbetween then yes it will cause decay. Just too add a little insight :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »

Ask your Dentist.

I drank diet soda for nearly 20 years (and a lot of it each day for that time) and never took very good care of my teeth. My first cavity wasn't until 19 years after drinking diet soda. It's not scientific, but my experience says it doesn't matter.

It isn't good for your teeth no. As a trained dental nurse, no soda is good for your teeth. if you put a baby tooth in a glass of full fat coke overnight, it will have disolved. If you put it in a glass of diet coke, it will take about a month to disolve. Still not good for the teeth but no not as harmful. If you do want to drink it without affecting your teeth fully, only have it with meals. What causes decay is too many acid attacks on your teeth. If you are eating meals and then having sugary/acidic food/drinks inbetween then yes it will cause decay. Just too add a little insight :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ANWDrRd-IQ
  • EmmaCaz4
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

Note how I said 'baby tooth'... That's an adult premolar in that glass of coke... I never mentioned the affect on an adult tooth. Baby teeth aren't as strong so yes a baby tooth would dissolve over night. As we had to do the experiment whilst training at college :)
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jokersurv wrote: »

Which studies?
    Bad in what way?
    Did you give up regular or diet soda?

There are some researches and concerns about artificial sweeteners might induce similar mechanisms that cause sugar craving. It's still an ongoing research topic for more insights and facts, but not a bad way to think about the things that go down your throat.

Here's one to read... It's a collection review for other researches in similar topics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

I don't think anybody actually said that diet soda is GOOD for teeth, just that the negative effect is greatly exaggerated and is really not different than many other beverages that are promoted as "healthy."

Then you mentioned "sugary" drinks and lumped sugary and acidic drinks together when the topic is specifically about diet soda, which is sugar free.

Finally, you argue, "If you put it in a glass of diet coke, it will take about a month to disolve." (sic) So if I have baby teeth and hold diet coke in my mouth for a month, then my teeth will have dissolved? I'm not sure I'm capable of holding soda in my mouth in a way that immerses my teeth for that long, so it seems like a moot point to me.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

I don't think anybody actually said that diet soda is GOOD for teeth, just that the negative effect is greatly exaggerated and is really not different than many other beverages that are promoted as "healthy."

Then you mentioned "sugary" drinks and lumped sugary and acidic drinks together when the topic is specifically about diet soda, which is sugar free.

Finally, you argue, "If you put it in a glass of diet coke, it will take about a month to disolve." (sic) So if I have baby teeth and hold diet coke in my mouth for a month, then my teeth will have dissolved? I'm not sure I'm capable of holding soda in my mouth in a way that immerses my teeth for that long, so it seems like a moot point to me.

Someone posted 'ask your dentist' about the affects it has on teeth. I'm just pointing that out. I'm not saying hold it in your mouth for a month, that's just rediculous (Also creepy if you were to hold a baby tooth in your mouth for some reason) But I was pointing out the affects long term that it has on your teeth. Fruit juice is exactly the same. I drink both diet coke and fruit juice now and again, I just ensure to brush my teeth afterwards. :) Not arguing with anyone, just knowledge. Yes I did point out sugary or acidic - diet coke is also acidic. Anything sugary/acidic, such as fizzy drinks, sweets, chocolate, fruit etc is all acidic and will have an effect on teeth if eaten too often, fact! How it is on weight loss is not something I have any knowledge on so that's why I didn't point that out.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Ask your Dentist.

Note how I said 'baby tooth'... That's an adult premolar in that glass of coke... I never mentioned the affect on an adult tooth. Baby teeth aren't as strong so yes a baby tooth would dissolve over night. As we had to do the experiment whilst training at college :)
    I don't think a baby tooth would dissolve in a night either. But I couldn't find a youtube video where someone said it's a baby tooth they're putting in.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I JUST started drinking diet soda and I'm excited about it. I always thought it was nasty. Now I get my diet Dr. Pepper and A&W root beer on. I pre-log all my food and a nice diet soda to get me through some hungry gaps has been awesome.
  • maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    'just that the negative effect is greatly exaggerated'

I look forward to the updated advice from the BDHF, and the GDC's 'best practice' information in the next copy of the BDJ, in light of your insight and 'knowledge'.
  • niniundlapin
    Options
    Or JADA...