Diet Soda on a diet?

Options

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    The carbonated drinks cause cellulite is stated by a nutritionist at a very high sports level. I guess I just took her word!

Well, nutritionists don't have "levels", so that is a little curious. But this is why "nutritionists" shouldn't be given the time of day. They have so little training, their only certification comes from a two to twelve week course, and many of them jump on the latest trends and rumors and then regurgitate them to their clients as truth for money. (See another thread where a poster was told by her nutritionist to go on an extreme Keto diet to lose weight she doesn't need to lose in the first place.)

Always go for "dieticians" - and always ask about a degree from an accredited college. I wouldn't hire anyone without at least a bachelor's degree (4 years) in the field.

Carbonation doesn't cause cellulite. If the nutritionist said "high-calorie carbonated drinks in excess" then he/she would've been closer to the mark - but it's all about the calories and amount consumed.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I JUST started drinking diet soda and I'm excited about it. I always thought it was nasty. Now I get my diet Dr. Pepper and A&W root beer on. I pre-log all my food and a nice diet soda to get me through some hungry gaps has been awesome.

a&w 10 is delicious and you can make it root beer float with it and the edy's slow churned ice cream
  • kbdc955
    kbdc955 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't consume artificial sweeteners. I don't trust that they are not harmful to our health.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    kbdc955 wrote: »
    I don't consume artificial sweeteners. I don't trust that they are not harmful to our health.

Why?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    hproctor02 wrote: »
    I drink a fair amount of water. I try for 1 gallon a day. But I also drink a few cans of diet soda daily too. More out of habit than anything and it helps satisfy cravings.

I was just wondering if any one had any insight on the diet soda while on a diet and if it effects weigh loss?
    Diet soda has no calories. You're safe.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    HowlinAl wrote: »
    It isn't good for you. But it isn't going to hinder weight loss either. I drink a can or two a day.

Why isn't it good for you?

Ask your Dentist.

I'm not waiting 2 weeks for an appointment... you can tell me, no?

my dentist told me that all soda (diet included), and fruit juice, isnt great for teeth. something about acidity. he recommended limiting those drinks, and when we do have them, using a straw, and not sip on it all day.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Weight loss no. Plus Carbonated drinks cause cellulite.

Nah, that's not true. I have a lifetime of drinking carbonated drinks and I don't have cellulite.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It does not affect weight loss.

Drink your diet soda.

Except it tastes nasty.....shiver.

Them's fightin' words, lady. :angry:

(Seriously though, the new formula for Diet Pepsi with the sucralose is pretty nasty imo)

The only one I really drink is Zevia Cream Soda. Very tasty to me, but otherwise I'm not a big fan of any other sodas. I have a diet Dr. Pepper or Diet 7 Up about once a year.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Diet soda and mio have been HUGE in my 50+ weight loss..I say embrace the 0cal-ness of it

A 0 cal soda killed my Pa! I'll never hug a can of that stuff.

May he rest in peace. :D
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    I disagree with people who say diet soda is ok. There are recent studies that show diet soda is just as bad as regular soda. I gave up soda and lost almost 9 pounds in a single month with no other diet changes

Can you please post links to these studies?
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The carbonated drinks cause cellulite is stated by a nutritionist at a very high sports level. I guess I just took her word!

Well, nutritionists don't have "levels", so that is a little curious. But this is why "nutritionists" shouldn't be given the time of day. They have so little training, their only certification comes from a two to twelve week course, and many of them jump on the latest trends and rumors and then regurgitate them to their clients as truth for money. (See another thread where a poster was told by her nutritionist to go on an extreme Keto diet to lose weight she doesn't need to lose in the first place.)

Always go for "dieticians" - and always ask about a degree from an accredited college. I wouldn't hire anyone without at least a bachelor's degree (4 years) in the field.

Carbonation doesn't cause cellulite. If the nutritionist said "high-calorie carbonated drinks in excess" then he/she would've been closer to the mark - but it's all about the calories and amount consumed.

I meant high level by her employment she works for a team at that's at the highest level in its field through out the world. Find it hard to believe that she would be employed by them if she didn't have creditendial or know what she was taking about.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I meant high level by her employment she works for a team at that's at the highest level in its field through out the world. Find it hard to believe that she would be employed by them if she didn't have creditendial or know what she was taking about.

"Highest level," says... who or what? Is there an unbiased accredited agency who rates them, and if so, who is it and who granted their accreditation? Once again, nutritionists/dieticians don't have levels. This term makes no sense in this particular field and if that's a term they use for themselves, then that's very suspect. If that's a misunderstanding of a term you're ascribing to them, then by all means, please clarify. I would like to know.

And yes, if she refers to herself as a "nutritionist" and not a "dietician" she does not have proper credentials. It may seem like semantics, but those two terms are very different.

ETA: If she actually believes carbonation - as in CO2 by itself can create body fat, then no - that's evidence enough for me that she doesn't know what she's talking about. That's a ridiculous belief.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    aspartame = poison

It's proven in many studies as well as all of these (see pic below), i seen the hair loss happen to a friend of mine, tho he also drinks 24+ cans of diet a day, google 51 things you can do with coke, its gross........

uqzfylor6h5u.jpg
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    aspartame = poison

It's proven in many studies as well as all of these (see pic below), i seen the hair loss happen to a friend of mine, tho he also drinks 24+ cans of diet a day, google 51 things you can do with coke, its gross........

296a7e56819db4dd186addef102bf642.gif

• TNoire
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The vid isn't working nvm =p
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Wow. A scary poster. I can safely ignore that. Followed by an anonymous You Tube link.

i'm.sold.now.not.
  • TNoire
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Wow. A scary poster. I can safely ignore that. Followed by an anonymous You Tube link.

i'm.sold.now.not.

Ive read the fda study on it, it's pretty scary, unfort my other pc got hit by lighting and ive been on the hunt to find it again
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    choofed.gif