Diet Soda on a diet?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons why. No one mentioned that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain, in a lot of ways it confuses the body. If the weight loss thing doesn't convince you how about drinking one diet soda a day can cause an increase in high blood pressure elevated glucose levels high cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and increase chance of getting a stroke heart disease and diabetes. When you drink diet soda yeah you're not drinking anything with calories but you're also not filing your body up with anything good.

How can my body store fat if I'm in a calorie deficit?
  • carmenfalcon97
    carmenfalcon97 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No one needs to take my or anyone's words for it. Research it yourself, and you can decide..
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No one needs to take my or anyone's words for it. Research it yourself, and you can decide..

You can't throw out gibberish and except everyone to prove you wrong. The onus is on you.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Burden of proof... That's not how it works. But let's say it is how it works. The "research" I've done tells me something else. Could you explain why your "research" is correct whereas mine is not?

ETA: Really I just want to know if you can explain the process by which my body would store fat despite eating below my TDEE?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    No one mentioned that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain, in a lot of ways it confuses the body.

No one mentioned it because it's not true.
    When you drink diet soda yeah you're not drinking anything with calories but you're also not filing your body up with anything good.

But not good does not necessarily equal bad.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons why. No one mentioned that artificial sweeteners trigger insulin which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain, in a lot of ways it confuses the body. If the weight loss thing doesn't convince you how about drinking one diet soda a day can cause an increase in high blood pressure elevated glucose levels high cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and increase chance of getting a stroke heart disease and diabetes. When you drink diet soda yeah you're not drinking anything with calories but you're also not filing your body up with anything good.

How can my body store fat if I'm in a calorie deficit?

19b3bbvxzhf1ygif.gif

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

No, insulin production is triggered by increases in blood glucose (BG). Diet soda does not raise BG, so it doesn't trigger insulin production.

Also keep in mind that if what you are saying is true, then people (except type 1 diabetics) who drink diet soda would be hypoglycemic after diet soda consumption. I'm not aware of widespread hypoglycemic seizures in non-type 1 diabetic soda drinkers as would be expected if your theory was true.
  • carmenfalcon97
    Options
    hey no one can tell you what to do with your body. Everyone seems to really love their diet soda... And is getting really defensive over it. I'm not debating anyone over diet soda, lol but was just giving what I knew about diet sodas. Someone asked me a question and I answered it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ingest artificial sweeteners every day, knowing what I know about chemistry, and knowing what is not known about artificial sweeteners. I am especially concerned about sucralose (more than aspartame). However, I probably have a diet soda a few times a year, and sucralose tastes better when I do.

I like seltzer water. It's fizzy, refreshing, settles my tummy, and contains no funky, reconfigured sugar.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    hey no one can tell you what to do with your body. Everyone seems to really love their diet soda... And is getting really defensive over it. I'm not debating anyone over diet soda, lol but was just giving what I knew about diet sodas. Someone asked me a question and I answered it.

Correction: What you think you know.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

But your answer is false and fear mongering at best. Lurkers who are reading but not partaking in these forums internalize this information and take your answer as fact. That is why we ask for sources :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

jon-snow-i-know-things.png

Unfortunately, facts and research don't support what you think you know. (Please note no one here is suggesting a diet consisting of drinking solely diet sodas.)
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    hproctor02 wrote: »
    I drink a fair amount of water. I try for 1 gallon a day. But I also drink a few cans of diet soda daily too. More out of habit than anything and it helps satisfy cravings.

I was just wondering if any one had any insight on the diet soda while on a diet and if it effects weigh loss?

You can drink it without effect the only real down side to drinking diet soda is A. Ruins the enamel on your teeth, B. The Carbonation can make you feel bloated from the gas, C. It can make you crave and possibly eat more junk food.

I have dropped 30 pounds drinking 3 cans of diet soda a day. I need flavor and miss the carbonation so that is my treat to myself. But I like you shoot for atleast a gallon of water a day

• carmenfalcon97
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lol ok keep your diet soda. It's soda... No need to argue with me over it. It's just what I've learned about it and to be safe I just drink water. I'm only repeating what a family member has taught me and he's a nutritionist. Lol no ones taking your diet sodas guys calm it down.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I did not believe that you could drink diet soda and continue to lose weight until I started doing it. I'm 25 days into using MFP, and have been drinking 1-2 diet sodas per day (as well as eating hot pockets for lunch every day) and I am down 8lbs as of this morning.

The point is, as long as it fits into your calorie goals, it seems you can pretty much have whatever you want.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    -Gets presented with facts of what would happen if what she's saying was true

-"Hey man,just telling you what I know. No need to be defensive."

Classic.
  • carmenfalcon97
    Options
    The things he's told me is not a guarantee to happen it's only things that increase with soda.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Lol ok keep your diet soda. It's soda... No need to argue with me over it. It's just what I've learned about it and to be safe I just drink water. I'm only repeating what a family member has taught me and he's a nutritionist. Lol no ones taking your diet sodas guys calm it down.

Unfortunately science does not support whatever claim you believe you heard. You're still young, I highly suggest researching things you do to your body and not believing everything someone tells you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

That's not knowledge. That's gossip. What if someone told you your neighbour was bad news and you told everyone it was your opinion not to associate with that person but of course, they could feel free.....

The internet just makes it so much easier to spread misinformation. If it is scary, it spreads faster.

Now, you might think the stakes for shunning your neighbour are so much more dire than say, giving up diet coke. But here's where it gets dangerous. Diabetics absolutely fare poorly with sugar drinks. Diet sodas are much safer, by many degrees. It's not poison. It's a safe and tasty alternative.
  • carmenfalcon97
    Options
    Hahahah ok. Everyone's made up their minds I'm obviously the only that thinks man made foods/ drinks are not good for your health. So yeah