Just started counting and I'm putting on weight!?

Options

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    Or what you are eating now is low cal but too hard for your body to break down so you are holding on to the food and putting on weight.

How does that work?

Unless she's eating bricks and tires, I don't really think this is happening. The digestive system is pretty effective at what it's designed to do.

The digestive system is effective if you don't have insulin resistance or other medical conditions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    o1og1hd1lnm0.jpeg
    Or what you are eating now is low cal but too hard for your body to break down so you are holding on to the food and putting on weight.

How does that work?

For example, eating carbs or red meat is really hard for me to break down. So I have to eat salads with light dressings or juice. Or broth soups. If I have a turkey sub on wheat and say bacon egg cheese bowl even though that's a relatively low cal day, it's still not going to result in a loss for me. I'm just giving you examples. Does that make sense?

No, not at all. Your body uses calories in to determine how much weight you lose/gain. It doesn't matter where they come from.

That's not true for everyone. How can you say that you KNOW that everyone and every body processes the same? You can't. You are assuming. What works for some doesn't work for others.

I know because science.

Lol and you're a proven scientist? I doubt it. Because science would also tell you that there are certain medical conditions where the norm for many doesn't apply. But you didn't know that because you're not a scientist

No sweetie. I'm not a scientist but I still know that gravity exists, even if I can't explain to you exactly how it works. No matter what the medical condition it's still calories in versus calories out. A medical condition might affect the calories out portion, but the equation still applies.

Nope honey...I know you're wrong again. Do some research and don't assume and then you will see you don't know what you are talking about.

I have a dietician, doctor, food scale, trainer, and work out 5-6 times a week. I eat like a bird. Doesn't change the scale. Doctors with degrees see that.

You are misinformed. Glad you learned about Gravity but you are clearly not fully informed about weight loss.

Science includes what I believe. You should probably mind your own business...

Guess what honey, this is a community forum and I am here to dispel untruths.

s251vfspbowc.jpeg
    Hahahahahaha and you are the God of truth huh? Did you google PCOS? Did you get your info from Wikipedia? You know those are very reputable sources. You can't even put a picture of yourself up in your profile. Why should anyone listen to you and your pasted pictures? I can tell you're very smart and articulate by your thorough in depth posts. Natural selection at its finest huh?

Be blessed lady.

Wait WTF is your problem? Well you've showed your true colours haven't you.

WTF is your problem. You're jumping into a post that you clearly haven't read. She threw digs at me and I responded to them. Re-read the entire thread. Then try again.

Nice try, but I read the thread. You're not a victim.

Lol I don't need your approval. Nor do I need your support. The poster said science doesn't give a *kitten* what a believe which is offensive. So I responded. Good bye to you.

Science, as a discipline, doesn't care what anyone believes. How is that offensive? Do you think science SHOULD take your personal beliefs into account?
  • emhunter
    Options
    If you can't break down the bread, or whatever, then how does your body store the energy in it? If your body can't break something down, then it can't be stored as fat. You might as well be eating rocks as far as affecting your body fat.

Your body eventually breaks it down but it takes a really long time. Thus just eating less than you put out won't work
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

How does that work?

Unless she's eating bricks and tires, I don't really think this is happening. The digestive system is pretty effective at what it's designed to do.

The digestive system is effective if you don't have insulin resistance or other medical conditions.
    If your digestive system can't break down the bread, then how does your body store the energy in it? If your body can't break something down, then it can't be stored as fat. You might as well be eating rocks as far as affecting your body fat.
  • emhunter
    Options
    The bottom line remains that CI<CO works no matter what. Yes, a myriad of issues can affect the equation, and one might need to eat a certain way for medical conditions but the equation is always true. People are different but every single person has to take in less than they burn to achieve weight loss.

No that equation doesn't work for everyone. If you have medical issues just keeping cals in below what you expend doesn't work. There is more to the equation.

Yes, everyone. As I said they may have to do certain things to achieve that equation. Or are you saying that there are some people who absolutely cannot lose weight?

I did not say people can never lose weight. CI<CO is not all the equation is if you do that but only eat carbs and don't lose. That's simple math. That is a logical fact. There are people in this world with insulin resistance that if they eat 1000 calories of bread and ran 2 miles and drank water, their body would not allow them to lose. Because of the insulin resistance they cannot break down that bread. So they still were eating less calories than they expended. But lost nothing.

That doesn't even begin to make sense.

It's an unfortunate problem for some people whether it makes sense to you or not. Do your research. You will see im right.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    If you can't break down the bread, or whatever, then how does your body store the energy in it? If your body can't break something down, then it can't be stored as fat. You might as well be eating rocks as far as affecting your body fat.

Your body eventually breaks it down but it takes a really long time. Thus just eating less than you put out won't work

How does your body store it as fat without breaking it down? Are there just, like, pieces of bread hanging out in your body until enough time passes to break them down? Do they stay in the stomach or does the body somehow transfer the undigested bread to other parts of the body?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Why does taking a really long time change the number of calories?
  • emhunter
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    The bottom line remains that CI<CO works no matter what. Yes, a myriad of issues can affect the equation, and one might need to eat a certain way for medical conditions but the equation is always true. People are different but every single person has to take in less than they burn to achieve weight loss.

No that equation doesn't work for everyone. If you have medical issues just keeping cals in below what you expend doesn't work. There is more to the equation.

Yes, everyone. As I said they may have to do certain things to achieve that equation. Or are you saying that there are some people who absolutely cannot lose weight?

I did not say people can never lose weight. CI<CO is not all the equation is if you do that but only eat carbs and don't lose. That's simple math. That is a logical fact. There are people in this world with insulin resistance that if they eat 1000 calories of bread and ran 2 miles and drank water, their body would not allow them to lose. Because of the insulin resistance they cannot break down that bread. So they still were eating less calories than they expended. But lost nothing.

I have a secret. ;)

CICO works for every single time (every single time) whether a person wants to lose weight, gain weight, or manage weight. If you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

However, when people have medical conditions, it just takes some time and work to find that CICO number that will work due to their special condition.

Your 1,000 calorie bread and all carb examples are extreme and does not even apply to the OP's original question.

I was giving the OP an option of what possibly could be causing her scale issues or stall. I didn't just tell her it could just be a fluctuation or eat less. That's basic. She knows that.

As for the equation you state, I've had an active and resting metabolic test to tell me how much I can eat and I eat well below that AND workout. It doesn't change my scale if I have simple carbs.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I have a secret. ;)

CICO works for every single time (every single time) whether a person wants to lose weight, gain weight, or manage weight. If you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

However, when people have medical conditions, it just takes some time and work to find that CICO number that will work due to their special condition.

Your 1,000 calorie bread and all carb examples are extreme and does not even apply to the OP's original question.

I was giving the OP an option of what possibly could be causing her scale issues or stall. I didn't just tell her it could just be a fluctuation or eat less. That's basic. She knows that.

As for the equation you state, I've had an active and resting metabolic test to tell me how much I can eat and I eat well below that AND workout. It doesn't change my scale if I have simple carbs.
    You know it's not possible to eat below RMR and not have your scale change, right? That's basic. You should know that.

• janejellyroll
    Options

I have a secret. ;)

Why are you using bread as an example then? Isn't bread a complex carbohydrate?
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    @emhunter you are wrong on so many levels. CICO is science which is fact, not something yoi believe in or not.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Ok, but energy can only be converted, never created nor destroyed - that's one of the most immutable scientific laws we have.
    So the questions are, when running 2 miles, where did the energy come from? When eating bread, where did the energy go?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Reerdaber wrote: »
    Im hoping it's just a "fluctuation" due to it being the beginning of a new diet, the way I was eating before was the same, just too much as I couldnt budge... Im hoping it will drop in a week or two. The doctor is sending me back for more blood tests to see what my hormone cycle is up to. I will start using my food scales over measuring from now on (boyfriend thinks im mental for measuring every little thing I eat lol)

Oh hey, this was a thread about @Reerdaber.

It sounds like you've identified your problem. I always find that when I make a change in diet or exercise, the scale tends to freak out for about 6 weeks (I'll often see a gain, and then it will suddenly drop and then normalize with what I'm expecting). Getting the hormones checked is never a bad idea, but I'm guessing with weighing your foods and giving it time you'll soon see progress. I also recommend taking measurements and progress photos because the scale does show so many fluctuations.

Good luck!
  • emhunter
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    @emhunter you are wrong on so many levels. CICO is science which is fact, not something yoi believe in or not.

I'm not explaining this again. It is also science that with certain medical conditions you have to do more than just limit cals in vs cals out. Do some real research. Don't assume and you will see.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    v6fq7jcr6va3.gif

I'm not explaining this again. It is also science that with certain medical conditions you have to do more than just limit cals in vs cals out. Do some real research. Don't assume and you will see.[/quote]

• emhunter
    Options
    @janejellyroll im using bread as an example because regular white bread is not a complex carb.
  • emhunter
    Options
    @DeguelloTex it is possible. I have done it. Many times.
  • emhunter
    Options
    @UltimateRBF I am not posting it. I'm not on trial. But people that speak without knowing what they are saying or if there are other possibilities are doing themselves a disservice. How one can vehemently deny things without looking it up and asking is beyond me. It is entirely possible that people are misinformed or only know a peace of the puzzle. I don't need excuses. I've reached a healthy weight.