Just started counting and I'm putting on weight!?

Options

Replies

• Inkd_babe
    Inkd_babe Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi hunny, please don't be discouraged that you are not losing weight just keep working at it your body will need some time to adjust with coming off the pill. Don't forget to track you're macro nutrients as well as count your calories and remember muscle weighs more then fat so the scales may say your not losing weight but you could be gaining muscle so a shred will reveal your rewards in time. Good luck and keep going
  • licaritile
    licaritile Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    :(
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow this forum got heated quick
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Gotta love MFP, where all the special snowflakes think everyone else must be, too. Unfortunately, a lot of the old-timers aren't posting anymore, or this would already have been addressed (and some of it has been touched on).

You've put on a kilo since you've been counting and working out. You have been weighing your food inconsistently. 1. A kilo is within the range of a 'normal fluctuation'. It could be time of month, retaining solids ;) or water weight from working out. 2. You need to weigh all your solid food and semi solid food, especially things like peanut butter, cheese, pasta, rice, etc. 3. Are you logging your workouts, and if so, what percentage of your exercise calories are you eating back?

I haven't posted this in a while, but here is my MFP how to:

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories (if you are losing faster than expected after logging for a few weeks, then up the % you eat back). Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the best forum posts such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ so much this. :)

Sorry your thread got derailed, OP. Also, have a look at this:

8ryrr2f22bxk.jpg
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Reerdaber wrote: »
    Thanks queenliz99, you're the only one who hasn't ignored my comment on my own post lol

I did not ignore your posts. I have been trying to give you alternative solutions. It could be a fluctuation which you already knew on your own. I was just giving you an alternative if it wasn't. I also posted that you could message me if I left off anything and wanted to vent.
  • emhunter
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    The bottom line remains that CI<CO works no matter what. Yes, a myriad of issues can affect the equation, and one might need to eat a certain way for medical conditions but the equation is always true. People are different but every single person has to take in less than they burn to achieve weight loss.

No that equation doesn't work for everyone. If you have medical issues just keeping cals in below what you expend doesn't work. There is more to the equation.

Yes, everyone. As I said they may have to do certain things to achieve that equation. Or are you saying that there are some people who absolutely cannot lose weight?

I did not say people can never lose weight. CI<CO is not all the equation is if you do that but only eat carbs and don't lose. That's simple math. That is a logical fact. There are people in this world with insulin resistance that if they eat 1000 calories of bread and ran 2 miles and drank water, their body would not allow them to lose. Because of the insulin resistance they cannot break down that bread. So they still were eating less calories than they expended. But lost nothing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The bottom line remains that CI<CO works no matter what. Yes, a myriad of issues can affect the equation, and one might need to eat a certain way for medical conditions but the equation is always true. People are different but every single person has to take in less than they burn to achieve weight loss.

No that equation doesn't work for everyone. If you have medical issues just keeping cals in below what you expend doesn't work. There is more to the equation.

Yes, everyone. As I said they may have to do certain things to achieve that equation. Or are you saying that there are some people who absolutely cannot lose weight?

I did not say people can never lose weight. CI<CO is not all the equation is if you do that but only eat carbs and don't lose. That's simple math. That is a logical fact. There are people in this world with insulin resistance that if they eat 1000 calories of bread and ran 2 miles and drank water, their body would not allow them to lose. Because of the insulin resistance they cannot break down that bread. So they still were eating less calories than they expended. But lost nothing.

If they can't break down the bread, then how does their body store the energy in it? That literally doesn't make sense. If your body can't break something down, then it can't be stored as fat. I think you may be receiving misinformation from your treatment team.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

QTF.

If it were possible for anyone to be a special snowflake when it comes to weight loss, I would've been first in line. :disappointed:

OP, if you have gained weight over time, it's from eating too much food. The only exception to this would be water retention from a medical issue, in which case you need to go to the doctor now.

Make sure you weigh your solid food and measure your liquids so you have an accurate picture of how much you are eating.

If you exercise and count those calories, do so only for cardio and nothing else because everything outside of cardio is included in your activity level. Eat back only about 75% of your exercise calories.

If what you are experiencing now is water retention from your increased exercise, it will dissipate in a few weeks.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Gotta love MFP, where all the special snowflakes think everyone else must be, too. Unfortunately, a lot of the old-timers aren't posting anymore, or this would already have been addressed (and some of it has been touched on).

You've put on a kilo since you've been counting and working out. You have been weighing your food inconsistently. 1. A kilo is within the range of a 'normal fluctuation'. It could be time of month, retaining solids ;) or water weight from working out. 2. You need to weigh all your solid food and semi solid food, especially things like peanut butter, cheese, pasta, rice, etc. 3. Are you logging your workouts, and if so, what percentage of your exercise calories are you eating back?

I haven't posted this in a while, but here is my MFP how to:

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything.

Do cardio if you want, and if you do, only eat back 50% of your calories (if you are losing faster than expected after logging for a few weeks, then up the % you eat back). Lift weights and hit your protein goal to help maintain muscle mass while losing.

Cheat meals that take you over maintenance will sabotage your efforts. Log the cheat meals too (falls under the 'log everything' rule).

Eat anything you want in moderation, keeping in mind that your diet will be easier to stick with if you chose foods that make it easier to stay under your calories without feeling hungry.

Also it would be a good idea to read some of the best forum posts such as:
    Calorie Counting 101
    Logging Accuracy, Consistency, & You're Probably Eating More Than You Think
    A Guide To Get You Started on Your Path To Sexy Pants
    ^^^^ so much this. :)

Sorry your thread got derailed, OP. Also, have a look at this:

8ryrr2f22bxk.jpg

These two posts as well.
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options

I have a secret. ;)

CICO works for every single time (every single time) whether a person wants to lose weight, gain weight, or manage weight. If you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

However, when people have medical conditions, it just takes some time and work to find that CICO number that will work due to their special condition.

Your 1,000 calorie bread and all carb examples are extreme and does not even apply to the OP's original question.

• SLLRunner
    Options

If they can't break down the bread, then how does their body store the energy in it? That literally doesn't make sense. If your body can't break something down, then it can't be stored as fat. I think you may be receiving misinformation from your treatment team.

That's what I'm thinking as well.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That doesn't even begin to make sense.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Or what you are eating now is low cal but too hard for your body to break down so you are holding on to the food and putting on weight.
    If you can't break down the bread, or whatever, then how does your body store the energy in it? If your body can't break something down, then it can't be stored as fat. You might as well be eating rocks as far as affecting your body fat.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    for @Reerdaber - I would suggest getting a digital scale. They're not that expensive and it really makes a difference. My other suggestion is once you have it, weigh EVERYTHING for a week or two while eating like you normally do. I think you'll find that your estimates were off originally. I know when I did that, I was totally surprised by how much extra I was eating that I didn't realize! Once you get a baseline, you can start finding things to change to lower your calories. It doesn't have to be cutting out 'junk' food either, just eat less of it. If you start slow and change only a couple things at a time and give yourself time to get used to it, you're much more likely to keep going. Yes, it's a lot slower, but more sustainable over time as you retrain your body and brain to what a 'normal' portion of food is.

FOR THE THREAD DERAILERS
    popcorn_jon_stewart_zpszuevsvv1.gif
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Or what you are eating now is low cal but too hard for your body to break down so you are holding on to the food and putting on weight.

How does that work?

Unless she's eating bricks and tires, I don't really think this is happening. The digestive system is pretty effective at what it's designed to do.

• emhunter
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    o1og1hd1lnm0.jpeg

How does that work?

For example, eating carbs or red meat is really hard for me to break down. So I have to eat salads with light dressings or juice. Or broth soups. If I have a turkey sub on wheat and say bacon egg cheese bowl even though that's a relatively low cal day, it's still not going to result in a loss for me. I'm just giving you examples. Does that make sense?

No, not at all. Your body uses calories in to determine how much weight you lose/gain. It doesn't matter where they come from.

That's not true for everyone. How can you say that you KNOW that everyone and every body processes the same? You can't. You are assuming. What works for some doesn't work for others.

I know because science.

Lol and you're a proven scientist? I doubt it. Because science would also tell you that there are certain medical conditions where the norm for many doesn't apply. But you didn't know that because you're not a scientist

No sweetie. I'm not a scientist but I still know that gravity exists, even if I can't explain to you exactly how it works. No matter what the medical condition it's still calories in versus calories out. A medical condition might affect the calories out portion, but the equation still applies.

Nope honey...I know you're wrong again. Do some research and don't assume and then you will see you don't know what you are talking about.

I have a dietician, doctor, food scale, trainer, and work out 5-6 times a week. I eat like a bird. Doesn't change the scale. Doctors with degrees see that.

You are misinformed. Glad you learned about Gravity but you are clearly not fully informed about weight loss.

Science includes what I believe. You should probably mind your own business...

Guess what honey, this is a community forum and I am here to dispel untruths.

s251vfspbowc.jpeg
    Hahahahahaha and you are the God of truth huh? Did you google PCOS? Did you get your info from Wikipedia? You know those are very reputable sources. You can't even put a picture of yourself up in your profile. Why should anyone listen to you and your pasted pictures? I can tell you're very smart and articulate by your thorough in depth posts. Natural selection at its finest huh?

Be blessed lady.

Wait WTF is your problem? Well you've showed your true colours haven't you.

WTF is your problem. You're jumping into a post that you clearly haven't read. She threw digs at me and I responded to them. Re-read the entire thread. Then try again.

Nice try, but I read the thread. You're not a victim.

Lol I don't need your approval. Nor do I need your support. The poster said science doesn't give a *kitten* what a believe which is offensive. So I responded. Good bye to you.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @Reerdaber your post went crazy and you weren't even involved. It could also be from coming off the pill that your weight isn't fluctuating. That might be something. i know that personally I change BC (well i stopped it, got pregnant, and then changed bc) and it definitely has an affect on my hormones and such. JUst an idea. Hopefully though whatever tests you are going for show up normal.

As far as weight loss if it's only been a week or so than give it time. I was stuck at the same weight for weeks so i measured certain areas of my body and noticed a decrease in inches. So the scale does lie sometimes. Other than that yeah the basic principle of CICO should work for you. Good luck!