Just started counting and I'm putting on weight!?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    wheres my popcorn.......

and special snowflakes ALWAYS think they are special snowflakes and the truth of science doesn't apply to them in ANY fashion. Hence, why I don't get involved....
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @UltimateRBF on second thought, here is just one link. But people should ask docs and find out for themselves.

http://www.pcosdietsupport.com/pcos-symptoms/weight-loss-with-pcos/
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    @janejellyroll im using bread as an example because regular white bread is not a complex carb.

Complex carbohydrates are made up of sugar molecules that are strung together in long, complex chains. White bread is a complex carb.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    @UltimateRBF on second thought, here is just one link. But people should ask docs and find out for themselves.

This was on your link. What a complete shock.

"In a recent study, researchers found that women without PCOS needed roughly 1868 calories per day whilst women with PCOS only needed around 1445 calories per day, and those with insulin resistance needed even less"
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

You need a better link then that one. They are selling you stuff that you want to hear, nothing more.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    @DeguelloTex it is possible. I have done it. Many times.
    No, you haven't. You're lying or mistaken. Those are the two possibilities.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sorry I helped derail your thread, OP. Glad you got some answers.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    maidentl wrote: »
    The bottom line remains that CI<CO works no matter what. Yes, a myriad of issues can affect the equation, and one might need to eat a certain way for medical conditions but the equation is always true. People are different but every single person has to take in less than they burn to achieve weight loss.

No that equation doesn't work for everyone. If you have medical issues just keeping cals in below what you expend doesn't work. There is more to the equation.

Yes, everyone. As I said they may have to do certain things to achieve that equation. Or are you saying that there are some people who absolutely cannot lose weight?

I did not say people can never lose weight. CI<CO is not all the equation is if you do that but only eat carbs and don't lose. That's simple math. That is a logical fact. There are people in this world with insulin resistance that if they eat 1000 calories of bread and ran 2 miles and drank water, their body would not allow them to lose. Because of the insulin resistance they cannot break down that bread. So they still were eating less calories than they expended. But lost nothing.

I have a secret. ;)

CICO works for every single time (every single time) whether a person wants to lose weight, gain weight, or manage weight. If you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

However, when people have medical conditions, it just takes some time and work to find that CICO number that will work due to their special condition.

Your 1,000 calorie bread and all carb examples are extreme and does not even apply to the OP's original question.

I was giving the OP an option of what possibly could be causing her scale issues or stall. I didn't just tell her it could just be a fluctuation or eat less. That's basic. She knows that.

As for the equation you state, I've had an active and resting metabolic test to tell me how much I can eat and I eat well below that AND workout. It doesn't change my scale if I have simple carbs.
    Em, if you are not losing weight by those numbers they gave you then (1) either your numbers are incorrect or (2) you are eating more than you realize. It's not like you eat a carb and your body says it's going to gain weight. That's just not how it works.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    The bottom line remains that CI<CO works no matter what. Yes, a myriad of issues can affect the equation, and one might need to eat a certain way for medical conditions but the equation is always true. People are different but every single person has to take in less than they burn to achieve weight loss.

No that equation doesn't work for everyone. If you have medical issues just keeping cals in below what you expend doesn't work. There is more to the equation.

Yes, everyone. As I said they may have to do certain things to achieve that equation. Or are you saying that there are some people who absolutely cannot lose weight?

I did not say people can never lose weight. CI<CO is not all the equation is if you do that but only eat carbs and don't lose. That's simple math. That is a logical fact. There are people in this world with insulin resistance that if they eat 1000 calories of bread and ran 2 miles and drank water, their body would not allow them to lose. Because of the insulin resistance they cannot break down that bread. So they still were eating less calories than they expended. But lost nothing.

I have a secret. ;)

CICO works for every single time (every single time) whether a person wants to lose weight, gain weight, or manage weight. If you eat less calories than you burn you will lose weight.

However, when people have medical conditions, it just takes some time and work to find that CICO number that will work due to their special condition.

Your 1,000 calorie bread and all carb examples are extreme and does not even apply to the OP's original question.

I was giving the OP an option of what possibly could be causing her scale issues or stall. I didn't just tell her it could just be a fluctuation or eat less. That's basic. She knows that.

As for the equation you state, I've had an active and resting metabolic test to tell me how much I can eat and I eat well below that AND workout. It doesn't change my scale if I have simple carbs.
    You know it's not possible to eat below RMR and not have your scale change, right? That's basic. You should know that.

This is spot on. Why was it flagged? It is basic.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually easy to eat MORE when you start measuring if you aren't accurately weighing. Sometimes when we see we have '200' calories left, we might say, nice I can have peanut butter but then mis-measure it and suddenly its 450 calories. That adds up at the end of the week. If you're also overestimating your calorie burns and eating those back, welp there you go.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    I think it's actually easy to eat MORE when you start measuring if you aren't accurately weighing. Sometimes when we see we have '200' calories left, we might say, nice I can have peanut butter but then mis-measure it and suddenly its 450 calories. That adds up at the end of the week. If you're also overestimating your calorie burns and eating those back, welp there you go.

Yes....Just YES!! Easy as pie (desert is coming up soon. :D) to make the mistake of underestimating calories in. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll im using bread as an example because regular white bread is not a complex carb.

You have been misinformed. White bread is a complex carbohydrate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Reerdaber wrote: »
    After being on the birth control pill and a trip across Europe, I put on a couple of kilos.

I had been eating healthy and exercising for around 4 to 5 weeks afterwards, stopped the pill, and didn't lose a single pound, so I decided last week to calorie count...

I have been counting to about 1400 calories and have been exercising a few times a week but now I am putting ON WEIGHT! Ive put on a kilo since I started :'(

I have just had my hormones tested and the doctor wants me to go and get another one (didn't say why).... What is going on here??

It's so discouraging :(

Sorry if I missed this, but are you eating back all your exercise calories? Many people here suggest you eat back no more than 50% of the calories you earn from exercise.

Unless you're using a food scale, it's really easy to underestimate how much you are eating. You don't need sound for the first video posted.

So, your kilo gain is likely due to some combination of underestimating calories eaten, overestimating calories burned, and normal water weight fluctuations, including those that occur due to ovulation and menstruation.

There could also be some odd hormonal thing going on, hence the extra test by your doctor, but until you know for sure otherwise, when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras or unicorns :)

Even with a condition like PCOS, there are many posters here with it who do lose weight.

• Reerdaber
    Reerdaber Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody, I have been dropping weight quite fast now! It was obviously just a fluctuation
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody, I have been dropping weight quite fast now! It was obviously just a fluctuation

Yay !! Great job sticking with it :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

That's good! Weight can do funky things sometimes, so just get used to it. :) But as long as it's overall a downward trend, you're golden.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Let's put your experience down as a another tick in the "consistent effort + patience = success" column shall we?

Nice work.
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015
    Options

That's great. :) Weight does fluctuate, and seeing that can be frustrating. Weight fluctuations are not fat though, they are water only.

Weight loss really is about eating at a deficit, but how you get there is completely individual. :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about the Wooshes and Squishy Fat stages of weight loss. Sometimes it's not always a steady loss, sometimes it comes in stages. Slow and steady wins the race!