Think before you send that nasty message

Options

Replies

• vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. It's amazing how the we use the interwebs every day to ask advice, talk about common goals, and glean info...yet we are told to stop taking it so seriously because the interwebs is actually full of crazy people that like to torture kittens. Some of the posts on the boards are like a bunch of smart kids trying to see who is the smartest of them all. Honestly, they just Google very quickly, and then act like they are the gods of nutrition. They arent, because if they were, then they would be pulling their own peer reviewed published works to use as a reference. Brush them off....they are sad, lonely people that probably do torture kittens when they aren't belittling others.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I've gotten my fair share of nasty PMs.

Really? I've read a lot of your posts and they are remarkably inoffensive.

I agree- @shell1005 I really enjoy reading your advice on here.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    vlovell24 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. It's amazing how the we use the interwebs every day to ask advice, talk about common goals, and glean info...yet we are told to stop taking it so seriously because the interwebs is actually full of crazy people that like to torture kittens. Some of the posts on the boards are like a bunch of smart kids trying to see who is the smartest of them all. Honestly, they just Google very quickly, and then act like they are the gods of nutrition. They arent, because if they were, then they would be pulling their own peer reviewed published works to use as a reference. Brush them off....they are sad, lonely people that probably do torture kittens when they aren't belittling others.

Holy drama, Batman.

Also, you don't think it's belittling to tell people they are sad, lonely and psychopathic?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Why must we bring kitten torture into it!!!!!! :neutral:
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    Alternatively, don't be pushed back by messages from random internet strangers. You have control over your reactions. You don't have control over the nastiness of people.

So it's okay to be a jerk because people shouldn't be so sensitive?
    Can you point out where I said that? I'll wait.

You seemed to be placing the onus on the original poster ("don't be pushed back by messages from random internet strangers").
    The onus is on the person not to be pushed back. Absolutely it is. Her life is her responsibility. Now, again, tell me how that means I said it is OK to be jerk.

For clarification, then, is the OP the only one with responsibility in the situation she described?
    The OP is the only one with the responsibility for her response, reaction, and actions.

It seems clear that the jerk initiated the situation, but that doesn't mean it isn't the OP's responsibility to react appropriately. Ideally, he wouldn't have been a jerk. Since we don't live in an ideal world, the next best option is to react in a beneficial way... which the OP did.

It shouldn't be unrealistic to recognize that when people DO act like jerks, it can hurt because humans are social creatures. Neither should it be unrealistic to be able to call jerks out on their behavior rather than telling people "Just don't feel the way you do!"
    You're mowing down the strawmen, I'll give you that.

It's a good thing I took your advice and give zero hoots what you think.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    I am sorry you were attacked. Some folk are experts, or at least they believe they are. They tear down others to build themselves. I believe there is a way to block, report or tell admin that someone is abusing. Maybe look into that. Best wishes on success! I know you can beat this! :)

Well said. This is how many act behind a pc where they can be cruel without repercussion. Why not support each other with kindness? However I would NEVER allow a person online or in person for that matter, derail my progress. You shouldn't close your diary or change what your doing. You should however raise your head and move on. That person is just a troll.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My problem wasn't as much the fact that someone wanted to give me advice as it was that it wasn't at all constructive. Don't tell me to "read a book" but not give me a suggestion on one that they have found helpful. Furthermore, I've read plenty of weight loss/health books. If it was as easy as reading a book, I'd be a size 4 right now. It was aggressively toned and insulting. I'm one month and 8 pounds into my loss now, which seems so little compared to where I want to be, but had I gotten a message like that 3 weeks ago, I may have felt hopeless and given up. I didn't, but there are people who will when they are insulted or belittled, I'm JUST now learning to believe in myself. I was just wanting to point out that there are a lot of disordered eaters on this site and no matter how much people say that they shouldn't let words of strangers get to them, they can make a huge difference.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Maybe the Motivation and Support category is the best place to post when a poster is seeking that kind of help without walking into the added and possibly unwanted help in this category.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I've gotten my fair share of nasty PMs. I got one yesterday and then learned so did a few MFP friends. I have learned over time that they are looking for a reaction. I usually refuse to give it to them.

However I am in a much better head space now than I was let's say a year ago. A year ago the message might have pushed me over the edge. Sadly nothing stops internet trolls and cowboy keyboard artists. So, I brush it off, click delete and move on.

On a personal note to the OP. I am a binge eater in recovery. I make the choice to keep my diary private from everyone. I do that because I promised myself and my counselor that I would honestly log, no matter what. However I know I'd be likely to not honestly log a binge or what have you if I knew it was public. And, the only person I need to be honest and accountable to is myself and my treatment team. Just thought I would share in case it is helpful.

What the heck? Is it in the water? I got a crappy message yesterday too. Some man felt the need to tell me that I look 55 and unattractive in my profile picture and I should use a different one. Um, gee thanks. My new pic is a response to that. I just blocked him. I feel you on this OP, it's not so much taking the message to heart (at least for me) but just a general outrage that someone felt comfortable being a jerk for no apparent reason. None of us like someone being rude to us, even if we don't allow it to set us back, it's still a little unsettling.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    I've gotten my fair share of nasty PMs. I got one yesterday and then learned so did a few MFP friends. I have learned over time that they are looking for a reaction. I usually refuse to give it to them.

However I am in a much better head space now than I was let's say a year ago. A year ago the message might have pushed me over the edge. Sadly nothing stops internet trolls and cowboy keyboard artists. So, I brush it off, click delete and move on.

On a personal note to the OP. I am a binge eater in recovery. I make the choice to keep my diary private from everyone. I do that because I promised myself and my counselor that I would honestly log, no matter what. However I know I'd be likely to not honestly log a binge or what have you if I knew it was public. And, the only person I need to be honest and accountable to is myself and my treatment team. Just thought I would share in case it is helpful.

What the heck? Is it in the water? I got a crappy message yesterday too. Some man felt the need to tell me that I look 55 and unattractive in my profile picture and I should use a different one. Um, gee thanks. My new pic is a response to that. I just blocked him. I feel you on this OP, it's not so much taking the message to heart (at least for me) but just a general outrage that someone felt comfortable being a jerk for no apparent reason. None of us like someone being rude to us, even if we don't allow it to set us back, it's still a little unsettling.

Just chiming in to say I love your new avi. :smiley:
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »

I've always wondered why some people have closed diaries. I like snoop through them sometime for ideas on what to eat. Never thought that others were snooping just to judge and belittle.

I believe I will close my diary now. :) [/quote]

I keep mine closed. None of anyone else's beeswax what I eat. And I don't care about anyone else's opinion about what I eat. Caring more about everyone else thought than what I thought about myself was part of my problem for a long time.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am not insulting, but I am tired of being insulted by random interweb gurus. I come on here for info sometimes, and while a lot has been helpful, there are far too many professors and not enough students. I am not a science major, and I won't even pretend to understand the first and second (and umpteenth) law of thermodynamics. My talents lie elsewhere, but because I don't fully understand how the body metabolized proteins and amino acids than I must be a fool that isn't worth the time to respond to in a constructive way. And now, we have posters that are being belittled by random strangers whom take it upon themselves to make fun of the way they look, or that they aren't logging right, or that they are too stupid to read a book. My momma taught me to be nice to others, not cruel.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My momma taught me to be nice to others, not cruel.

Then you may want to reconsider how you speak about others, including those you disagree with.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I am not insulting, but I am tired of being insulted by random interweb gurus. I come on here for info sometimes, and while a lot has been helpful, there are far too many professors and not enough students. I am not a science major, and I won't even pretend to understand the first and second (and umpteenth) law of thermodynamics. My talents lie elsewhere, but because I don't fully understand how the body metabolized proteins and amino acids than I must be a fool that isn't worth the time to respond to in a constructive way. And now, we have posters that are being belittled by random strangers whom take it upon themselves to make fun of the way they look, or that they aren't logging right, or that they are too stupid to read a book. My momma taught me to be nice to others, not cruel.

I read some posters for information and others for entertainment value, and when it comes to unsolicited PMs, I avail myself of the Block button.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, don't be pushed back by messages from random internet strangers. You have control over your reactions. You don't have control over the nastiness of people.

So it's okay to be a jerk because people shouldn't be so sensitive?
    Can you point out where I said that? I'll wait.

You seemed to be placing the onus on the original poster ("don't be pushed back by messages from random internet strangers").

No. It's not an either or. He's empowering the OP, because she can't control the world. It's an AND. She can hope she doesn't receive nasty messages while at the same time not be set back if she receives one. He's adding to the discussion, not presenting an opposite side to it.

Presenting a different perspective on something doesn't mean you're in opposition to the original point presented. Sometimes, you're just expanding the conversation to include further points and make it further reaching.

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    MFP is a uniquely screwed up place

It has some good. But there are some bizarre posts as well.