• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    CARBS! ALL OF THE CARBS!

I love carbs.
  • RebeccaSmith9
    RebeccaSmith9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just tried carb cycling and it was great on carb days but on no carb days felt awful so I think moderation is the key
  • Fragmoss
    Fragmoss Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I high carb but not on rice or pasta or processed breads. Rice makes me bloat. Potatoes are my favorite whether baked, broiled, boiled or mashed with the skins on.
    I am (vegan) so I avoid dairy, eggs, and the like. No sugars or honey either.
    I love veggies, mushrooms, tubers, beans, tofu, legumes, oats, seeds, nuts, fresh and dried fruits along with exotic spices (no salt). I grow my own herbs. I also avoid processed foods...no canned soups or sauces and no boxed pasta type side dishes. I shop mainly in the fruit & vegetable areas along with the condiments aisle for things like apple cider vinegar & evo. My weekly grocery bill up here in Canada for just my portion alone (I have a meat eating Hubby) runs about 35$ a week. I don't eat out, haven't for years.

Each persons body and metabolism reacts differently to foods. Go with what works for you.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    moderate carb! In my case, too much carbs make me bloat. My carb is around 100-180g / day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Unless you have specific health conditions, low carb is totally unnecessary for losing weight.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    CARBS! :)
    Quite a large percentage of my daily calories come from carbs. As long as I stick to my deficit, I lose weight!
  • healthyrachel1979
    healthyrachel1979 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    CARBS! :)
    Quite a large percentage of my daily calories come from carbs. As long as I stick to my deficit, I lose weight!

Thank you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I eat a moderate number of carbs, but then again I am T2Dm so I am following my Dr.'s recommendations.
  • BrickFox
    BrickFox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think if you do any sort of physical activity, carbs are fine. Assuming you're not doing over 40% of your total caloric intake. You will most likely start craving more food because of that not-so-full feeling that carbs tend to give you after it's digested.

I used to be low carb; like under 100g a day. Now I just try to stay under 250g. I can enjoy having rice and potatoes every day, and still not feel 'carb loaded'. But I am also very active, and my carbs get used for fuel.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel better when I cut out a lot of simple carbs. (bread, pasta, any wheat flour products, added sugar...) I don't limit vegetable carbs, although some days I probably don't eat enough vegetables because I hate to cook and only like a limited number of veggies raw (I do eat things like celery, zucchini, radishes...things that I can dip in hummus).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have moderate to high carbs (250g ~45%) and moderate protein because I love lifting. Anytime I get close to 150-175g of carbs a day, my workouts suffer.
  • BrickFox
    Options
    Personally I feel better when I cut out a lot of simple carbs. (bread, pasta, any wheat flour products, added sugar...) I don't limit vegetable carbs, although some days I probably don't eat enough vegetables because I hate to cook and only like a limited number of veggies raw (I do eat things like celery, zucchini, radishes...things that I can dip in hummus).

@Monklady123 What about the Birds Eye Steamfresh microwave bags of veggies? That's my go-to source for veggies, and I eat probably two bags a day.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    FoxWaal wrote: »

@Monklady123 What about the Birds Eye Steamfresh microwave bags of veggies? That's my go-to source for veggies, and I eat probably two bags a day.

Yes, that's a good idea. I need to look through the frozen section next time I'm at the store. Much easier than cooking from scratch. lol
  • BrickFox
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I think if you do any sort of physical activity, carbs are fine. Assuming you're not doing over 40% of your total caloric intake. You will most likely start craving more food because of that not-so-full feeling that carbs tend to give you after it's digested.

I used to be low carb; like under 100g a day. Now I just try to stay under 250g. I can enjoy having rice and potatoes every day, and still not feel 'carb loaded'. But I am also very active, and my carbs get used for fuel.

I've done low carb. I've done moderate carb. I've done high carb. Lost weight on all of them.

For me personally, I never found that eating higher carb made me crave more food or left me with a not so full feeling. It's great that you found something that worked for you, but just wanted to state it isn't a universal reaction to all those consume a higher level of carbs.

@shell1005 High carb low fat? Or high carb moderate/high fat? Fat is the key to staying satiated.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Calorie deficit trumps all. Low carb and carb cycling is just another way to manage your diet.

Yep
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I tried carb cycling for 8 weeks last year. It just made me moody lol. It didn't make me lose weight any faster either (I was losing weight after my 3rd baby. Well, I still am)

I like my fruit, so I don't do low carb, although I limit starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I've done low carb. I've done moderate carb. I've done high carb. Lost weight on all of them.

For me personally, I never found that eating higher carb made me crave more food or left me with a not so full feeling. It's great that you found something that worked for you, but just wanted to state it isn't a universal reaction to all those consume a higher level of carbs.

@shell1005 High carb low fat? Or high carb moderate/high fat? Fat is the key to staying satiated.

Not for me. Fat is not the key for me....which is what I have been saying. Glad you found what works for you, but I caution people to assume what works for you works for others.

I would actually say the protein is much more important for satiety. Fats don't fill me up.