to carb or not too carb?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit comes first, so whatever you find easiest and sustainable for helping you achieve that. What works for some people might not be the bets match for you.
  • Buckeye_Dave
    Buckeye_Dave Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love me some carbs. I tried low carb a few years ago and it was not sustainable for me. Now, I focus on maintaining a calorie deficit and have never been happier.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Barring medical issues it's personal preference.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    High carb because I like beer.

Gotta go with this!

Seriously, though, only you know what's going to work for you. I lost about 110lbs over the course of 16 months, without cutting out any specific food group. So, I never cut carbs, never cut fat, and was just fine doing it.

And yes, in all of that time I enjoyed plenty of beer.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Keto for me. But it's not something you can try out for a few days to decide if you like it, due to low carb flu. So if you decide to try it, you need to commit to it for at least a month and see how you like it. Two weeks to get over any low carb flu symptoms, two weeks to settle in and see how you feel and what your hunger and energy levels are, etc.

In reality, four weeks isn't even the full test. The full test can be six weeks or longer to start adapting as far as your energy levels and workouts.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    The question isn't really Carb or Low Carb, it's which one am I willing to do for the rest of life? (relatively, anyways) Using low carb for a diet doesn't actually help you because you will eventually hit your target goal and stop doing that diet. Now, you haven't changed your eating habits so there's a better than average chance you'll gain the weight back. What you need to do is retrain your brain and body to better eating habits that you will continue once you hit your goal.

With that being said, if you can manage low carb and like it enough to stick with it long term, more power to you. Some people can. I am not one of those. I am way to fond of BUTTERYGARLICKYBREADSTICKS to ever cut those out! xD
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eat food, not labels
  • Azuriaz
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    The question isn't really Carb or Low Carb, it's which one am I willing to do for the rest of life? (relatively, anyways) Using low carb for a diet doesn't actually help you because you will eventually hit your target goal and stop doing that diet. Now, you haven't changed your eating habits so there's a better than average chance you'll gain the weight back. What you need to do is retrain your brain and body to better eating habits that you will continue once you hit your goal.

With that being said, if you can manage low carb and like it enough to stick with it long term, more power to you. Some people can. I am not one of those. I am way to fond of BUTTERYGARLICKYBREADSTICKS to ever cut those out! xD

Not true. There are people who have been in ketosis for years. Stephanie Keto Person is my primary motivation. She's 47 (might be 48 now) looks 27, is in incredible shape, and eats low carb. She is also a personal trainer who loves the gym, so I will never be ripped like she is, but maybe I can have the same energy levels she has.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    Keto for me. But it's not something you can try out for a few days to decide if you like it, due to low carb flu. So if you decide to try it, you need to commit to it for at least a month and see how you like it. Two weeks to get over any low carb flu symptoms, two weeks to settle in and see how you feel and what your hunger and energy levels are, etc.

In reality, four weeks isn't even the full test. The full test can be six weeks or longer to start adapting as far as your energy levels and workouts.

That is only true of keto. Low carb does not necessarily mean you have to cut them low enough to be in ketosis. For example, I kept mine under 150 grams a day for a couple of months, then under 100 grams a day for many months. Both of those are considered low carb diets, and I never had any keto flu symptoms since they weren't low enough for ketosis. I got many of the low carb benefits with no problems at all.

Now, I have been in ketosis for a little over a week. And the keto flu in my case is barely noticeable and easily controlled by adding a little salt to my diet.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    Unless you have specific health conditions, low carb is totally unnecessary for losing weight.
    So is high carb.

• Azuriaz
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »

That is only true of keto. Low carb does not necessarily mean you have to cut them low enough to be in ketosis. For example, I kept mine under 150 grams a day for a couple of months, then under 100 grams a day for many months. Both of those are considered low carb diets, and I never had any keto flu symptoms since they weren't low enough for ketosis. I got many of the low carb benefits with no problems at all.

Now, I have been in ketosis for a little over a week. And the keto flu in my case is barely noticeable and easily controlled by adding a little salt to my diet.

True. Sounds like you've had an easier time because you were already lower carb. And not everyone has bad low carb flu anyway, even if they go straight to the under 20 grams of carbs a day diet. But it sure slaps me down hard. Especially days 4-6!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Unless you have specific health conditions, low carb is totally unnecessary for losing weight.
    So is high carb.

Agreed why restrict your fat intake?

• MoiAussi93
    Options
    Low carb for me. No cravings, I rarely feel hungry, I have more energy, etc. But you need to figure out for yourself if it is for you. Nobody else can really tell you that.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options

@Monklady123 What about the Birds Eye Steamfresh microwave bags of veggies? That's my go-to source for veggies, and I eat probably two bags a day.
    [/quote]

Woohoo! So glad you said this ! My fav veggie source too, especially the protein blends. 6 minutes and dinner is ready.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs has changed my life. I was doing a low fat diet and was getting bad cravings. I would have a cheat once a week and end up binging. It got pretty bad, I had such a sweet tooth! I would eat just plain sugar, no lie! But when I cut carbs and ate more fat, the cravings stopped. The fat fills you up and satisfies. It's seriously a miracle for me plus I feel better all around. I have more energy and more focused. I say try it out and see if it works for you. Couldn't hurt!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The important question is why are you asking? Are there specific reasons you are thinking about cutting carbs?

For me, I find that when I'm eating well I naturally tend to eat about 40-50% carbs, and since I feel good at that level I see no reason to reduce it.