Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Earlier you posted that I wasn't allowed to do it at all at PF. Now you think I can but not to your standard. Which is it?

Not taking sides in the debate...but the fact that your particular Planet Fitness goes against their stated corporate policy isn't a particularly strong argument in favor of the brand.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. My PF taught me how to do it. And the other location I go to has never said one word about how I was working out.

You don't know their corporate policy?
    with all the "fatties, skinnies and old people". Deadlifted and overhead pressed right in view of the desk on purpose. Grunted for good measure. Got a thumbs up and good job praise on the way out the door.

Oh, and ya...so it was pretty much like any other gym.
    Nanny nanny boo boo stick her head in doo doo

I'll raise with "I told you so".
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Earlier you posted that I wasn't allowed to do it at all at PF. Now you think I can but not to your standard. Which is it?

Not taking sides in the debate...but the fact that your particular Planet Fitness goes against their stated corporate policy isn't a particularly strong argument in favor of the brand.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. My PF taught me how to do it. And the other location I go to has never said one word about how I was working out.

The point is you keep bringing up "MY PF" and "The Locations I've been to".

I for one do not dispute that you're telling the truth. The point is that anecdotal evidence does not trump the fact that their policy is to have lunk alarms, kick people out for doing things like deadlifting/squatting/grunting/looking too fit, and oversell memberships. These things are indisputable.

The fact that you've managed to find a franchisee or two who don't adhere to those policies does not absolve the ridiculousness of the policies in the first place.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Everyone knows they are ridiculous. Guidelines are for liability since it is a beginner's gym. Most people have enough common sense to know what they can do and can't do without hurting themselves. Most locations are staffed by teenagers or 20 year olds, they don't care, it's not their career. I don't agree with the lunk alarm..that is kind of weird and crossing the line. And no one gets kicked out for looking "too fit" :D
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Honest question,
    Does the lunk alarm actually exist?

Maybe I was unlucky, but when I was a member there I got lunk alarmed 3 times. Once for dropping down the dumbbells after a particularly heavy set of chest presses (I had no juice left to let them down nicely), once breathing heavily trying to squeeze out a last rep of OHP, and once for the same reason on the leg press. Seems dependent on which PF you work out at if they exercise the alarm or not.

The reason I left was just because I moved and my new place didn't have a PF nearby, but I am glad I did. Once I realized I was getting stronger much faster doing barbell work at the new gym, I was a bit frustrated by the "no barbell" culture of PF. Why limit your customers so much? I want to say a half rack is a lot cheaper piece of equipment than a big line of smith machines. I don't get it really. They fill a niche, and clearly they are doing well at it, because I see them EVERYWHERE. But they like straight up hate lifters. It's a weird thing to do when your business model runs on people that go to the gym.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think people who don't go there should mind their own business. Calling me a liar is something very strange. I work super hard. The people who work there are definitely getting snaps from me for being great. Have a blast with you delusion that the only way to do things is your way.

OP add me as a friend. I would like to know your experience. And please pay attention to the fact that nobody that worksout there has bad things to say.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting with free weights. I only use the Smith for weighted squats.

You make lots of dumb assumptions about people.

so dumbbells or an actual barbell?

and just because you found the one exception to the rule does not change the fact that no deadlifing is their corporate policy.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Honest question,

yea, a chick I know goes to one in fla and has heard it go off....
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Honest question,

It does and I know a guy that got it pulled on him for "banging weights" when he was re-racking the plates. So yes it is a real thing, and yes some locations actually use it.
  • ndj1979
    edited September 2015
    Options
    were there not a few PF's in California where they kicked females out because their outfits were too intimidating..?
  • juggernaut1974
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think people who don't go there should mind their own business. Calling me a liar is something very strange. I work super hard. The people who work there are definitely getting snaps from me for being great. Have a blast with you delusion that the only way to do things is your way.

OP add me as a friend. I would like to know your experience. And please pay attention to the fact that nobody that worksout there has bad things to say.

You're missing that no one is calling you a liar...I went so far as to directly point out that I believe every word you say.

You're also missing that what everyone is pointing out is your anecdotal experiences with PF clearly go against their stated policies. It is those policies that people have a problem with.

You're also missing that several people here have posted first-hand experiences at PF (note the post directly before yours, for one).

A clear sign you're losing a debate is when you have to continuously misrepresent the argument the other side is making in order to argue against it (ie - you're debating a strawman)
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the model that PF stands for yet I think as a business move it is brilliant. In all actuality if someone is insecure and intimidated that is something they need to get over rather than just hiding from. Most gyms that have the huge "meat heads" are usually small private gyms none of those guys train at commercial gyms. Intimidation is normal for beginners and eventually it gets easier. I lift HARD and I dont go in the gym slamming weights yelling, thats all just a bad misconception.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

You're missing that no one is calling you a liar...I went so far as to directly point out that I believe every word you say.

You're also missing that what everyone is pointing out is your anecdotal experiences with PF clearly go against their stated policies. It is those policies that people have a problem with.

You're also missing that several people here have posted first-hand experiences at PF (note the post directly before yours, for one).

A clear sign you're losing a debate is when you have to continuously misrepresent the argument the other side is making in order to argue against it (ie - you're debating a strawman)

Cosign.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    I don't agree with the model that PF stands for yet I think as a business move it is brilliant.

Oh from a business perspective, I agree...they've clearly found a way to capitalize on a (unfortunately large) segment of the population.

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

in for lulz

754e4aaf5729659908fc276f9ad74533.jpg
    I'm DEAD!!!!
    I
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, folks, the lunk alarm does exist. Yes, it is used. And yes, according to the official policy, if you grunt -- or even exhale loudly -- the alarm will be rung. See http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592.

WARNING: The stuff that they say about bodybuilders is pretty mean. If they were to say the same thing about overweight people, America would be in an uproar. The double standard is real and unmistakable.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Yes, folks, the lunk alarm does exist. Yes, it is used. And yes, according to the official policy, if you grunt -- or even exhale loudly -- the alarm will be rung. See http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592.

WARNING: The stuff that they say about bodybuilders is pretty mean. If they were to say the same thing about overweight people, America would be in an uproar. The double standard is real and unmistakable.

WOW LOL
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

So true!

Plus the term "lunk" is very degrading for any one that is fitness minded. It is used to make people think all people that lift weights are stupid. But claim they are a "judgement" free zone.

Lets have a gym saying no fat people but our slogan is "We don't judge you." There our butts should be covered for any pending lawsuits. It is the exact same thing.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

This video is actually making fun of bodybuilders to an extent, rather than just mocking PF. Are people really so insecure that they have to mock bodybuilders? When is the next flight to Mars? I want on.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I call it "fitshaming".
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

First, nobody called you the liar. Quite the opposite, in fact.

And second... once again, we have this strange notion that unless you are an actual member, your opinion is invalid . That's like saying that unless you belong to ISIS or the KKK, you have no no business criticizing their methods.

Besides, in this very thread, we have at least one FORMER member who now speaks out about how much PF hindered his development. In addition, I already mentioned my policeman friend who hates their policies, but who only works out there because of the hours. I know at least three other people who think their policies are foolish, and who only joined because they were broke or had no other options.

Should we only accept the opinions of people who actually work out there? There's a term for that: Stacking the deck. It ensures that just about the only people to be heard are the ones who don't yet see any problem with the place. Hardly a hallmark of sound judgment.