Im going to lose 20 pounds in 40 days!

Options

Replies

• Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I thought the title was click bait to lure us in, because surely no one would think this was a reasonable goal or good idea.....I was wrong unfortunately.
  • morgiemarsh
    morgiemarsh Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice given guys, thanks! Even those of you who seem to love to tear others down. ;) You're obvi not happy with yourself and it shows. Again, thanks! I'll be losing the weight, feel free to friend me for mutual motivational support :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Halloween is, at best, an arbitrary goal. And, just because you did it once before, doesn't mean that you know all about this process, and it doesn't mean it's healthy. It would be wise of you to heed the advice you are being given. What you are proposing is unhealthy, and, if you're having to do it again, then it's ineffective. Slow down, take the time to do what you need to do that is HEALTHY and will help you develop the habits you need to KEEP the weight off.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your contribution guys, I do appreciate it. I am aiming for fast weight loss though and would like to look good by that time. Afterwards I plan on continuing to try and lose weight but taking it slower. I've gained a significant amount of weight one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off, but I've just recently gained a bunch of weight again because I got off track, stopped exercising and not tracking what I eat. So I've had experience and know how my body handles taking weight off. Thanks guys!

Do you realize you'll have to cut your daily intake by 1750 calories a day to achieve this? How high do you think your maintenance calories are? The online calculators show about 2250 a day (if you exercise lightly 1 - 3 times a week). So you'll have 500 a day to work with in order to meet your goal. Maybe 600 if you lose the first 5 lbs quicker due to water weight loss. That's extremely dangerous. EXTREMELY. It's anorexic in fact. I do not recommend this. And if you try it, you'll likely get sick and cause your body irreparable damage. And it's the same thing even if you increase exercise to eat back the calories. Still extremely dangerous.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice given guys, thanks!
    Even those of you who seem to love to tear others down

No one is tearing you down...simply trying to smack some sense into you. It's your life and body though, have fun.
  • MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Honey if only it was that easy, you will have to take it slow, it is the best way, then you know you will keep the weight off.
    I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is a fact, I have been on a calorie controlled diet for 34 days now, consuming 1200 calories per day, and have lost so far 11 pounds which is perfect.
    Good luck trying!!!, but look after yourself.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You might lose enough water weight to make you happy by then, but there is no way that you will lose 20lbs in 40 days, especially if you intend to do so healthfully and keep it off. Will. Not. Happen. Start earlier next time and go slower. Maybe aim for 20lbs by Thanksgiving or Christmas.
    This.

If you've had multiple cycles of fast loss and subsequent regain by age 20, enjoy another round on the carousel, I guess. Making a successful change isn't about an end date to try to look hot in Sexy Little Whatever costume for a night. My $.02. Good luck.

And this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ahh to be 19 again when it matters more how you look for a certain event than to have a healthy, sustainable, and realistic approach to weight loss and your goals...

• WinoGelato
    Options
    Thanks for your contribution guys, I do appreciate it. I am aiming for fast weight loss though and would like to look good by that time. Afterwards I plan on continuing to try and lose weight but taking it slower. I've gained a significant amount of weight one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off, but I've just recently gained a bunch of weight again because I got off track, stopped exercising and not tracking what I eat. So I've had experience and know how my body handles taking weight off. Thanks guys!

But if you gained the weight back, then you weren't able to keep it off... So maybe you should try a different, less aggressive approach this time...

• Andreatts9
    Andreatts9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, female, 5'4", and currently at 178 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I love myself, but hate the way I look right now. I plan on making a lifestyle change as of tomorrow morning. I will be eating healthier and exercising, and also taking slimquick. I tried Slimquick a few months back for a week and lost a total of 10 lbs, but got off track so now I'm starting over. I'd like to lose 20 pounds and tone up by this coming Halloween! I'd love to make some friends on here so we can both motivate eachother to get healthy!

Hey there! I am starting an 8 week program at my gym and I am trying to loose at least 10 lbs probably more. I have lost more in the past at the initial start of my journey so I am proof you can loose more in that amount of time ( I was also starting at 270lbs). The program combines heavy lifting with clean eating. I would love to go on a journey with you and will not contribute negativity to your journey because having been on mine for 1.5 years, I know how hard it is!
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You may well get the 20 lbs off if you starve yourself, but you won't look as hot as you think you will. Your hair will become dull and your skin will look sallow as you won't be getting enough nutrients to keep yourself healthy. It will then take a long time to recover. And you'll also be super hangry and an utter misery to be around for the next six weeks, so you won't have any friends to hang out with on Halloween anyway to see you looking so thin. Surely it's better to aim for 5-7lbs off (still a big ask, but...) and look fabulously healthy...?

Oh wait, no you're 19, my apologies, you know best... Off you go...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Andreatts9 wrote: »
    I'm 19, female, 5'4", and currently at 178 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I love myself, but hate the way I look right now. I plan on making a lifestyle change as of tomorrow morning. I will be eating healthier and exercising, and also taking slimquick. I tried Slimquick a few months back for a week and lost a total of 10 lbs, but got off track so now I'm starting over. I'd like to lose 20 pounds and tone up by this coming Halloween! I'd love to make some friends on here so we can both motivate eachother to get healthy!

Hey there! I am starting an 8 week program at my gym and I am trying to loose at least 10 lbs probably more. I have lost more in the past at the initial start of my journey so I am proof you can loose more in that amount of time ( I was also starting at 270lbs). The program combines heavy lifting with clean eating. I would love to go on a journey with you and will not contribute negativity to your journey because having been on mine for 1.5 years, I know how hard it is!

It's a different challenge for someone trying to lose 20 in 40 days if they weigh 178lbs as opposed to 270?

There also a difference losing 10 in 56 days and 20 in 40.
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think most people above have the best intentions. It's hard not to come across harsh and abrasive online sometimes. It can be hard to explain thoughts without writing a novel of a post! Whatever you choose to do I would recommend heavy resistance training so you preserve your muscle mass. Toning will make a HUGE impact on how you feel and look Hun. If you do drop that much weight that quick you might not look all that much better if a considerable amount is muscle. You could do a smaller caloric deficit with strength training, lose half that much weight and look better, firmer and happier. You don't want to be skinny fat. Just my thoughts. Feel free to add me as a friend if ya want and good luck on your journey. :)
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Andreatts9 wrote: »

10 lbs in 8 weeks is hardly the same as 20 lbs in 40 days...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry... But have I said anything like "I know everything"? No, but you all have! Haha. I've taken in all of your advice with grace and I appreciate it. Seems the 19 year old is more mature than most of the rest of yall. Get some manners.

Glad to hear that you are taking the high road. Sadly, I agree with all the immature old folk. You MAY be able to achieve this rate of loss, but if you do, it will be at a cost to your body.

I strongly encourage moderation, a healthy deficit, and taking an active approach to life. Will that cause you to be 20 pound less by Halloween? No. But life extends beyond halloween, and maybe - if you start taking a healthy approach to weight loss and your body, you'll be able to live many many years at goal weight, instead of continually riding the binge-crash diet-binge-crash diet rollercoaster that does nothing but ruin your self esteem and harm your body.

It didn't take you 40 days to gain the 20 pounds. It shouldn't take you 40 days to lose it.

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Do you realize you'll have to cut your daily intake by 1750 calories a day to achieve this? How high do you think your maintenance calories are? The online calculators show about 2250 a day (if you exercise lightly 1 - 3 times a week). So you'll have 500 a day to work with in order to meet your goal. Maybe 600 if you lose the first 5 lbs quicker due to water weight loss. That's extremely dangerous. EXTREMELY. It's anorexic in fact. I do not recommend this. And if you try it, you'll likely get sick and cause your body irreparable damage. And it's the same thing even if you increase exercise to eat back the calories. Still extremely dangerous.

This right here. What you are proposing is unsustainable at best, extremely dangerous at worst.

Oh, and I am very happy with myself, thank you very much. People who are advising against this are not telling you these things because we are unhappy with ourselves. It is because we see someone doing something unsustainable and dangerous. If you believe our advice comes from our own unhappiness, how to lose weight is far from the only thing you need to learn and understand.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    pandr612 wrote: »
    I lost 25lbs in 2 weeks with the diet Omnitrition. Something to check out. My friend referred me. She lost 80lbs in 6 months. Just an idea

never heard of it so just did a quick google

sections from site.
    Price – “Whoa Buddy!”

One big concern with Omnitrition is price. “Omnitrition takes proven ingredients, breaks them up, and sells them as individual supplements. If Omnitrition combined the ingredients into one weight loss supplement the program could be affordable,” says our Research Editor. “But as is stands, you will spend in excess of $200 for a single month on the Omnitrition plan.”

“The cost if you look at all the other supplements on the market…you pay a hefty price,” says an Omnitrition buyer.

You can scroll below for one of the best products we’ve seen in 2015.
    Side Effects – A Serious Concern

We found quite a few customer comments about negative side effects. Some of the side effects may be attributed to synephrine. Synephrine can cause speedy heart rate and high blood pressure.
    “I’ve has to see multiple doctors as a result of my side effects and every one talked about how unsafe this diet is and the terrible side effects they’ve seen,” one former distributor warns.

Though few dieters complain of negative side effects, researchers warn of possible dangers. “Doubts have been voiced about the safety of food supplements containing both synephrine and caffeine. Based on the risk assessments they have carried out, Denmark and Sweden have declared food supplements containing synephrine and caffeine in a combination to be unsafe to health and they may therefore not be marketed,” according to the Finnish Food Safety Authority.
  • placidegirl
    placidegirl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    we've all been there sweetie,even if you think its misguided advice, the lose-weight-quick business world makes a fortune from those of us who choose to accept that starving ourselves is the natural opposite of eating too much.

On a more humorous approach to the subject, in the words of Erma Bombeck

“In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet.”

:smile: : be well and look after yourselfxx
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    pandr612 wrote: »
    I lost 25lbs in 2 weeks with the diet Omnitrition. Something to check out. My friend referred me. She lost 80lbs in 6 months. Just an idea

Stop. This is ludicrous :s
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Losing pounds fast is not that hard for some people as noted by others.

Losing fat and keeping most of one's muscles is hard for most people.

This discussion has been closed.