124»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    SadDolt wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    OP you either believe saddoolt or everyone else.
    The standard safe healthy rates of weight loss are 1-2lb a week,, which would put your traget between 6-12lbs. You may get a boost from the beginning by losing some water weight but that will tail out and often comes back. I think its too much but good luck with it. You talk about healthier and lifestyle change, but it doesnt sounds like it. You are going to have to create over a 1500 cal deficit a day. See how you get on though.

any weight comes back if you go back to poor eating habits....that's why you should lose weight with something you can stick to

Your diet consists of popcorn chicken, bbq sauce and ice cream. Tell me again how you know what you're talking about.

Sounds like she eats some bangin' food.

@SadDolt - I support your food choices. 100%. You can do it!

But she has no peeps. How can she eat her ice cream if she has no peeps?

Sadly, the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) is no more. It has been made abundantly clear that posts and subsequent discussion regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) are a violation of the MFP Terms of Service. The founders of the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) appreciate your long-standing support, but no further details regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) will be posted in the MFP forums. For further information, please buy my final book, The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): No Peeps For You! The Rise And Fall Of A Satiric Response To Pervasive Pseudoscience.

really trying not to laugh here, trying to be supportive.
    how much?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    At her current weight, losing a pound every other day is an unhealthy rate of loss that can only possibly happen through the loss of significant lean body mass. The OP stated "one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off" ... now if that were true, she wouldn't be looking to crash diet now. Unless your plan is to yo-yo diet for life, skip the quick fix, crash plans and learn how to manage your weight in a healthy manner.

sugom2 wrote: »
    Wow--just spent my lunch hour reading all the negative posts, rather than support to her for at least realizing she wanted to change and making the commitment. At least she set a goal! We all lose weight in our own way. At least she isn't having surgery to take care of it.

She set an unhealthy and unsafe goal. Encouraging her to chase it is not support, it is enabling destructive behaviors.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    The standard safe healthy rates of weight loss are 1-2lb a week,, which would put your traget between 6-12lbs. You may get a boost from the beginning by losing some water weight but that will tail out and often comes back. I think its too much but good luck with it. You talk about healthier and lifestyle change, but it doesnt sounds like it. You are going to have to create over a 1500 cal deficit a day. See how you get on though.

any weight comes back if you go back to poor eating habits....that's why you should lose weight with something you can stick to

Your diet consists of popcorn chicken, bbq sauce and ice cream. Tell me again how you know what you're talking about.

Sadly, the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) is no more. It has been made abundantly clear that posts and subsequent discussion regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) are a violation of the MFP Terms of Service. The founders of the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) appreciate your long-standing support, but no further details regarding the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) will be posted in the MFP forums. For further information, please buy my final book, The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): No Peeps For You! The Rise And Fall Of A Satiric Response To Pervasive Pseudoscience.

Meh. I'm going to wait for the movie. I hear Kevin Spacey is playing the lead.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member

all this support you are 100% giving, you are so supportive. Hope you are adding them all to your friends list.

We build people up here in MFP. We don't tear them down.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    The question isn't "can I lose 20lbs in 40 days?"

The question is "can I keep it off and for how long?"

Personally, yo-yo dieting sounds exhausting to me.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member

But she has no peeps. How can she have any ice cream if she doesn't eat her peeps?

+1 for the Pink Floyd allusion!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    At her current weight, losing a pound every other day is an unhealthy rate of loss that can only possibly happen through the loss of significant lean body mass. The OP stated "one other time in my life and was able to get it off quickly and keep it off" ... now if that were true, she wouldn't be looking to crash diet now. Unless your plan is to yo-yo diet for life, skip the quick fix, crash plans and learn how to manage your weight in a healthy manner.

sugom2 wrote: »
    Wow--just spent my lunch hour reading all the negative posts, rather than support to her for at least realizing she wanted to change and making the commitment. At least she set a goal! We all lose weight in our own way. At least she isn't having surgery to take care of it.

She set an unhealthy and unsafe goal. Encouraging her to chase it is not support, it is enabling destructive behaviors.

Exactly!

When I was a teenager I frequently decided I was going to lose 10 lbs in a week or 20 in a month or whatever the latest fad diet promised. I was not overweight, and yet I thought I needed to change my body dramatically to be happy. I never once followed through with any of these plans--in part because they weren't reasonable or sustainable, and in part because I have a natural disinclination to self-starvation that is probably something that protected me as a teen and young adult when my self hatred and body image were terrible.

Looking back at it now, I wish I'd been encouraged to learn about how one improves one's body in a sustainable way, either through sensible weight loss or (ideally) strength training. As it was, I was lucky enough to be reasonably active and to enjoy running and biking, so I kept my weight in check that way.

It would NOT have helped me one bit to have people encouraging me to do a terrible unrealistic and unsafe weight loss plan of the type I was attracted to (since 1 month seemed like a long time at that age and I assumed any diet would be unpleasant, so might as well have more suffering for a short period -- even though this did not prove to be sustainable). I also genuinely did not understand that the way people got the kinds of bodies I wanted was stuff like sensible dieting and weight training. More people encouraging me (as women's mags and the culture in general did) that the answer was the kinds of things I was gravitating to--or insisting that my mere desire to lose weight was something to be applauded, would have added to the dysfunction of my relationship to food and my body.

It's so sad that the culture at MFP seems to say that any challenge to this kind of dysfunction and social attitudes, to the false "lose it in 6 weeks" promises of the diet industry are frowned upon. If you ask me, that's a real betrayal to the potential MFP has to actually help.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I'm 19, female, 5'4", and currently at 178 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I love myself, but hate the way I look right now. I plan on making a lifestyle change as of tomorrow morning. I will be eating healthier and exercising, and also taking slimquick. I tried Slimquick a few months back for a week and lost a total of 10 lbs, but got off track so now I'm starting over. I'd like to lose 20 pounds and tone up by this coming Halloween! I'd love to make some friends on here so we can both motivate eachother to get healthy!

Why not make a lifestyle change by setting your goals up to lose about a pound a week and eat real food? Slimquick won't work anyway unless you eat at a calorie deficit, so it seems to me it would be good to throw out the slimquick and just eat at a calorie deficit. :)
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 220 Member
    You could do intermittent fasting or ADF to accomplish that.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/08/alternate-day-fasting.aspx
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/06/08/alternate-day-fasting.aspx

ADF is just another way to create a calorie deficit. The real problem here is that OP has unrealistic weight loss goals.

And Mercola? Please.
  • SLLRunner
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Meh. I'm going to wait for the movie. I hear Kevin Spacey is playing the lead.

That's what I heard too. :)

OP, remember slow and steady wins the race. Set some reasonable goals and you will lose weight. You can do this in a healthy manner, I know you can. :)
  • SLLRunner
    edited September 2015

Intermittent fasting is not magic. Under any situation, and on any diet, you absolutely must eat less calories than you burn to lose weight. It's science.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I was an ace at dropping weight at this sort of rate when I was 19 - there are ways to sustain your energy at the gym as well and to flatten your stomach at the last minute. I knew and practiced them all. I won a couple of bikini competitions as a result back in the day. I am, however, infertile (yeah, still, it didn't ever come right), after years of skipped periods as well as other health issues.

I did however, look FANTASTIC in my twenties.

So.. theres that.

• morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I was an ace at dropping weight at this sort of rate when I was 19 - there are ways to sustain your energy at the gym as well and to flatten your stomach at the last minute. I knew and practiced them all. I won a couple of bikini competitions as a result back in the day. I am, however, infertile (yeah, still, it didn't ever come right), after years of skipped periods as well as other health issues.

I did however, look FANTASTIC in my twenties.

So.. theres that.

So sorry. Thank you for sharing your story <3
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,137 MFP Staff
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.
    If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Alex
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.