October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think I need to add some sort of lifting or strength training if I want to continue to run more miles. Since I started increasing my miles I've had soreness, tightness, etc. even though I'm following a program and taking it slow. The other day my doctor told me to stop running and find some other form of exercise since "running is bad for the body." I have no intention of stopping since I enjoy it so much but it does get frustrating that I seem to feel "hurt" quite often.

Sorry for the mini rant - hope everyone is having a great day!

No need to apologize, we are all here to support one another.

Time to find a new doctor. As I shared with someone else on here a couple of days ago. There are some doctors that are just so misinformed and are anti-running for some reason. There is absolutely no evidence that running is bad for you. In fact, just the opposite is found to be true.

Go to your local running store or if you have a local running group and ask for suggestions for a new doctor. @skippygirlsmom shared her experience just yesterday I think. The first doctor she went to wanted to do some surgery on her and told her she shouldn't run again. She found another good doctor at the advice of lots of runners and found one that was a runner himself. Had her do a bunch of exercises and within a couple of weeks she was back out running again pain free.

EDITED to include skippygirlsmom's quote from yesterday.
    @auna01 what @stoshew71 said is so true. The end of 2014 I literally went from 140 miles a month to zero because of a pain in my leg that went from my butt down my knee and would make my foot numb. Orthopedic wanted to do surgery and said "no more running EVER". PT (who is a runner) said "I'll have you running pain free in a week". Two months after seeing the PT I ran my first half marathon pain free. By the way I stopped to see him after my HM and he was so happy to see me and my medal :smiley: then sat me down to discuss me, how was I during the race, did I have any pain, what was my training mileage before etc. THAT is the type of person you need to see.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for October

10/1 6.6 miles - 6.6
    10/2 6.75 miles - 13.35
    10/3 22.1 miles - 35.45
    10/4 REST DAY
    10/5 10.75 miles - 46.2
    10/6 10.5 miles - 56.7
    10/7 6.6 miles - 63.3
    10/8 10 miles - 73.3
    10/9 6.75 miles - 80.05
    10/10 3.88 miles - 83.93 <<< Warrior Dash
    10/11 REST DAY
    10/12 10.25 miles - 94.18
    10/13 10.5 miles - 104.68
    10/14 6.75 miles - 111.43
    10/15 10.5 miles - 121.93
    10/16 5.75 miles - 127.68
    10/17 20 miles - 147.68
    10/18 REST DAY
    10/19 10.5 miles - 158.18
    10/20 11 miles - 169.18
    10/21 6.65 miles - 175.83

exercise.png

Slow recovery run this morning.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks @Stoshew71 I know it's ages off yes looking fwd to my pb :wink: I was only asking for advice on what time prediction to put on my entry. I've gone for the hour but don't really care as long as I finish!! Thank you x
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71

I smiled and laughed so hard at the pics and first vid.

The last two vids made me cry.. So thanks a lot! Lol jk

:smile:

Appreciate you taking the time to dig up pics and vids for me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    I'm wondering if someone can advise me. I'm looking at doing 10k in Feb. At the moment my 5.2mile time is 56 mins, that includes 2 periods of walking for less than 1 minute. So presuming I can by Feb run for the whole 6.2 miles, what do you think a fair anticipated time would be?

I'm thinking of saying I will do it in about an hour, because I reckon if I ran the whole 5.2 miles now, that would reduce my time to say 55 mins, so adding another mile would probably take me to about 65 minutes. But as I've heard you usually do better on race time, and also as I'm hoping I'll get a bit quicker between now and then - do you think 1 hour would be a good guess? I have to give an estimate, I assume so they can put me in the right 'starting pen'. I've never done any sort of race before so it's all a bit unknown.

Thank you x

You'll probably be closer to the hour. I'm always liberal with my window. Like the HM I wanted to do it in less than 2:30, but realized I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment and had a loose goal of 2:40... You can find online race predictors. But like @Stoshew71 said, just go enjoy it. If you set a time goal and miss it, it could cloud your enjoyment for future runs. So really, say 1:20 and have fun :wink:
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Thanks so much. I'll definitely find a new doctor and report back!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved I agreed with @ddmom0811. New doc. When I started out I couldn't follow a program. I had to "run" by time and gradually add. I'd repeat weeks until I was comfortable moving to the next. You have some respectable mileage going on. Maybe cut a few days to 2.5 miles and have a long 5-6+ miles run once a week. Pain is a warning to back off. It takes me a good 2 miles to get in the groove. They are my warm up miles. I know they'll suck, so I don't fret over it. Run by feel, not a program.

Happy running!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - Thanks so much. I'll definitely find a new doctor and report back!

happy hunting!!!

I always go in saying "this is my problem but don't dare ask me to stop doing X"

I'm clear- unless it's like- back removal/replacement surgery- we are going to find a way to FIX me- not make me just stop doing what I love. So work with THAT premise not that "avoid and exclude" premise. That's just not going to work for me.
    If they balk at that- then it's time for a new doctor.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I've always been an early morning runner but lately have had a really hard time getting out the door when it's still dark. Today though, I woke up and was out before 5am and got in a really nice 10km/6 miles. I love how happy and relaxed it makes me feel for the rest of the day.

Total for October is 170km/105 miles, goal is 250km/155 miles.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @Elise4270 - That's a great way to look at it. I think sometimes I feel pressure to get my 10k training runs in even if I'm in pain because I don't want to fall "behind". Ridiculous, I know, seeing as if I injure myself I'll be way worse off. I'll try to keep to 5-6 miles once a week and see how I feel with that. Thank you so much - I'm happy to know I'm not alone in this!

@JoRocka - Thank you! I think that's exactly what I need to do. I was so surprised that the immediate response was "stop running and find something else." Not to mention how discouraging it was since I love running. Would you recommend seeing at PT? I went to my general practitioner first - maybe it's time to start physical therapy?

Thank you all for the support!!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 - That's a great way to look at it. I think sometimes I feel pressure to get my 10k training runs in even if I'm in pain because I don't want to fall "behind". Ridiculous, I know, seeing as if I injure myself I'll be way worse off. I'll try to keep to 5-6 miles once a week and see how I feel with that. Thank you so much - I'm happy to know I'm not alone in this!

@JoRocka - Thank you! I think that's exactly what I need to do. I was so surprised that the immediate response was "stop running and find something else." Not to mention how discouraging it was since I love running. Would you recommend seeing at PT? I went to my general practitioner first - maybe it's time to start physical therapy?

PT wouldn't hurt. I've learned a lot and sorry I didn't push for it earlier. I saw a doc that told me to bike, so I laid off running to bike. Turns out that was a bad idea. So, FIX it (like @JoRocka said).
    Sorry I'm chatty todat- waiting at dealership for auto repairs...
  • JoRocka
    Options

I can't honestly answer that question for you.

Generally if I have a pain issue- I go see the GP first- mostly b/c they then prescribe PT for me- but I was able to find a PT that doesn't need a referrel- because- honestly the issue I"m dealing with right now is not something a GP would be able to do anything about. (i have a crooked squat) so I'm able to handle chiro/pt at the same time without visiting the GP.

If it's pain pain- go see the GP and talk through it- ultimately you're probably going to wind up going to a PT. So- if you can skip a GP (assuming no stabbing pain) and go to a PT might save you some money- but honestly with general tightness and discomfort sounds like yoga and foam rolling might fix the problem.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Somebody_Loved I agreed with @ddmom0811. New doc. When I started out I couldn't follow a program. I had to "run" by time and gradually add. I'd repeat weeks until I was comfortable moving to the next. You have some respectable mileage going on. Maybe cut a few days to 2.5 miles and have a long 5-6+ miles run once a week. Pain is a warning to back off. It takes me a good 2 miles to get in the groove. They are my warm up miles. I know they'll suck, so I don't fret over it. Run by feel, not a program.

Happy running!

We call these cutback (or down) weeks. That is the biggest lesson I learned recently. Plan about 1 week each month where you will run about 20% less mileage to absorb the training. If your body says you need one sooner or longer than a week, I highly advise you to listen to your body. This past spring I screwed up my 10 miler race and like 4 weeks of training because I refused to take a down week after increasing mileage for like 6 weeks. I paid for it. Something I won't do again.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Kody & I put in 8.5 miles last night. I started out doing somewhat of an interval training. After warming up for a while I ran at my hopeful HM pace for a bit, then back down. During my third time doing HM pace, Kody started getting further and further behind. Perhaps our recent spell of no running had caught up with him, or perhaps he doesn't like running at that pace. In any event, I decided to walk a quarter of a mile to let him rest a bit. Upon starting again, I had a heck of a time getting myself back in the groove and didn't enjoy the last few miles. Tonight I'll try the same route, doing more HM pace intervals, but without Kody.

I don't know if it's related or not but I also decided it was time to (mostly) retire my Brooks Glycerin shoes. They were feeling pretty flat last night and I was feeling in my knees and hips. I put them up and may try them again for shorter distances, or perhaps as my slush running shoes this winter. In their place I broke out a new pair of the same model. I looked over my mileage on my ASICS Gel-Nimbus and see that they're already at 211 miles. Hopefully those last longer than my Glycerins.

10/01 - Camping
    10/02 - Camping, hiking
    10/03 - Camping, hiking
    10/04 - 5.6 miles running, hiking
    10/05 - 7.9 miles
    10/06 - Rest
    10/07 - 9.7 miles
    10/08 - 5.0 miles
    10/09 - Rest
    10/10 - 18 miles <-- New PR!
    10/11 - Life Day
    10/12 - Life Day
    10/13 - Packing
    10/14 - Packing
    10/15 - Deer Hunting
    10/16 - Deer Hunting
    10/17 - 5 miles (preceeded by deer hunting)
    10/18 - 15.1 miles
    10/19 - Rest
    10/20 - 8.5 miles

Goal: 150 Miles
    Progress: 74.8 Miles
    Remaining: 75.2 Milesvr09mcn5r84z.jpeg
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @JoRocka - PT is what I was thinking as I don't need a referral from a GP. I think I'll do the down week (thank you, @Stoshew71 for the explanation - I'm learning so much), add in some yoga and keep foam rolling and see how I feel. Hopefully that will do the trick!
  • Stoshew71
    Options

I would say maybe a sports orthopedic?
    Someone who knows about running and runners and running related injuries.
    Do you have a running specialty store? Or a running group that is local?
    They usually know someone who is good.

This guy seems has been recommended by a lot in my running community and they even do free seminars at least once a month at the local Fleet Feet. https://www.facebook.com/physioworkshsv

There should be someone similar near you.
  • Stoshew71
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The other day my doctor told me to stop running and find some other form of exercise since "running is bad for the body."

hvs2GMV.jpg
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I would say maybe a sports orthopedic?
    Someone who knows about running and runners and running related injuries.
    Do you have a running specialty store? Or a running group that is local?
    They usually know someone who is good.

This guy seems has been recommended by a lot in my running community and they even do free seminars at least once a month at the local Fleet Feet. https://www.facebook.com/physioworkshsv

There should be someone similar near you.

yes- someone sports oriented.

(I forget since I"m seeing a sports therapist- but it's sports therapy 'lite'- I wish they were a little more in the sports department) but it's EXTREMELY convenient and economic and they mostly get it so works for me.

So yeah- definitely someone who is sports oriented.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Options
    @Stoshew71 @JoRocka - Just looked around online and looks like there is a sports rehab therapy center by my place. They specialize in "sports and accident rehab" and "improving your exercise regime" - I'll check them out and report back!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Those clips are amazing! Thanks for sharing! I'm really excited about Saturday's run now! :smiley: