October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Okay.. I need some advice about my 10k this Saturday.
    It is a twilight run, starting at 5pm (I usually run first thing in the morning).. Just wondering if you have some tips about what/when to eat during the day before the race?

I usually have a morning coffee before my runs and have yoghurt, oasts and fruit when I get home when I run in the mornings.

I want to fuel up properly but worried about having food/drink sploshing around and making me feel sick at that time of day. Advice??

I usually do an evening run once a week, and here's what I do:
    -No more food after 3-4 pm (~2-3 hours pre-run)
    -But still plenty of water because hydration is good
    -Bathroom at least 20 mins before, or else I need to pee about 1 mile in

And then, of course, treat yourself to a good dinner afterwards, because you earned it! :)

I find that my afternoon/evening runs are always much faster than my morning runs because I've had breakfast, lunch, coffee, etc. So hopefully you find that running at 5 pm gives you an especially good 10k time!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @kristinegift, congrats on the great HM! Why do I say great when you didn't reach your goal and made all of those mistakes? Because you had a great time, missing your PR by only 46 seconds IN SPITE OF all those mistakes!! I'm also impressed that you're able to honestly appraise your mistakes and come here and tell us about it so we might learn from it as well.

Upcoming Races
    10/31 - Monster Dash Half Marathon, St. Paul, MN
    11/26 - Turkey Trot 6K, St. Paul, MN - With my daughter and two neices.

I do what I can for the good of the group ;)

Is the Monster Dash HM one of the Team Ortho races? I did their Chicago Monster Dash in 2012, and I still love/wear the jacket I got. Team Ortho races have the best swag (see also: windbreaker finisher's jacket for Minneapolis Marathon)!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Okay.. I need some advice about my 10k this Saturday.
    It is a twilight run, starting at 5pm (I usually run first thing in the morning).. Just wondering if you have some tips about what/when to eat during the day before the race?

I usually have a morning coffee before my runs and have yoghurt, oasts and fruit when I get home when I run in the mornings.

I want to fuel up properly but worried about having food/drink sploshing around and making me feel sick at that time of day. Advice??

I think there was some good advise given already but will add my addition 2 copper Lincolns.
    Nothing new Friday or Saturday. Eat foods you are famiular with and know how they affect your body.
    Hydrate early in the day because you have to watch how much liquids you take in just before the race (because you don't need an early porta John visit in the middle of your race). Relax during the day as much as you can. Try not to think about the race too much. Stress will weaken you by the time you get to the starting line.
    Know how your bowels move. If you have good predictable timing and know they will be clear by the start of the race, then eat as normal as possible. Otherwise, limit the amount of fiber you eat Friday and Saturday.
    600 calories of good complex carbs (little to no fat and maybe 10-20 grams of protein) about 3 hours before your race. Then sip on a sports drink slowly after that going into your race but be mindful not to drink too much to make yourself pee more often than you need to.

Get to the race early. Get a good warmup before the race. Walk for 10 minutes and then maybe a light jog for another 10-20 minutes. Then relax for the next 10-15 minutes before the gun goes off.

Remember to not go out too fast. Know and maintain your own pace. Line up with the appropriate people that will be running nearly the same pace as you. Do not line up too much in the front if you are not as fast as them.

Enjoy the race. Thank all the volunteers. Meet and be friendly to as many runners as you can. We are all friendly people. Eat and celebrate afterwards.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    10/1 - 3.1 miles on the 'mill; plus 5.8 miles / 20 minutes on stationary bike.
    10/2 - Had to skip run/workout for a life insurance physical (bloodwork, etc.). Then, they couldn't get me to bleed, so I'm gonna have to do it again! Grrr!
    10/3 - 11.5 miles with HM group; cool, beautiful weather!
    10/4 - waaaayy overslept!
    10/5 - not off to a good start this month; kids up half the night with illness / asthma issues
    10/6 - 4.75 miles on a beautiful, cool morning.
    10/7 - 4.85 miles of hills with HM group
    10/8 - 4.65 miles
    10/9 - 0. Up half the night, again! Now feeling a bit under the weather. It's too early for this stuff, isn't it?
    10/10 - 7.92 miles with HM group. Cool morning, flat loop...nice run!
    10/11 - 3.15 mile "recovery" run. Slower pace with one of my 9 year olds...love getting to run with my kids! Sore hip though.
    10/12 - 4.75 miles. Beautiful weather! Hip better, but not perfect. Fired up for 5k and HM this weekend!
    10/13 - 0. Had my repeat life insurance physical, which went fine. Then spent the whole day waiting at home for Des Moines Water Works to turn water back on. Some sort of miscommunication between dispatch and the technician...UGH!!
    10/14 - 5.16 relaxing, lovely miles with HM group as we "taper" for this weekend. Got pulled over on the way to meet them at 4:45 a.m. Just a warning...woo hoo!
    10/15 - 4.25 miles on treadmill at Trek class. Took it a little slower and flatter than usual.
    10/16 - rest day before weekend race(s)
    10/17 - 2.96 miles @ IMT 5k Road Race - someone shortened the course! Oops!
    10/18 - 13.1 miles @ IMT Des Moines Half Marathon (1:48:41). New PR! Went out a little fast, but mostly had a great run on a beautiful day!
    10/19 - extended stretching with HM group. Relaxing.
    10/20 - 4 miles on indoor track with weights/strength work following.

exercise.png

Enjoying all the tips about evening runs. I have had no luck running any time but in the morning. I will have to try some of these.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @7lenny7 Your dog just made me dizzy.

Everyone else is just hitting it hard. So happy for everyone.

I think we have a couple of new folks just join us? I like to say welcome to @miss_vicky_5 & welcome back @Knickersinatwist. And anyone else I may have missed.

@smithie092015 I have a couple of friends doing the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for October

10/1 6.6 miles - 6.6
    10/2 6.75 miles - 13.35
    10/3 22.1 miles - 35.45
    10/4 REST DAY
    10/5 10.75 miles - 46.2
    10/6 10.5 miles - 56.7
    10/7 6.6 miles - 63.3
    10/8 10 miles - 73.3
    10/9 6.75 miles - 80.05
    10/10 3.88 miles - 83.93 <<< Warrior Dash
    10/11 REST DAY
    10/12 10.25 miles - 94.18
    10/13 10.5 miles - 104.68
    10/14 6.75 miles - 111.43
    10/15 10.5 miles - 121.93
    10/16 5.75 miles - 127.68
    10/17 20 miles - 147.68
    10/18 REST DAY
    10/19 10.5 miles - 158.18
    10/20 11 miles - 169.18

exercise.png

Bruggers Bagel grp run - Tempo Tuesday - Only Scott Butler kept up with me this morning (well he caught up with me then I kept up with him until mile 5 when I slowed down). 11 miles total in 1:32:05 - First 2 miles was a warm-up in 17:22 (8:46 - 8:33). Then Tempo pace for 2 miles and steady state pace the next 3 then recovery then 8x 30 sec strides - then last mile cool down (6:54 - 7:11 - 7:32 - 7:41 - 7:48 - 9:33 - 8:58 - 8:41 - 10:23)

It's getting real cool out that I had to start pulling out my long sleeves and tights. But great for the time splits.
    The summer weather running is just now paying off in big results now.

Summer heat and humidity is a b**** but as soon as the heat cools down, you will notice a big improvement in your times from before when the summer began.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift, congrats on the great HM! Why do I say great when you didn't reach your goal and made all of those mistakes? Because you had a great time, missing your PR by only 46 seconds IN SPITE OF all those mistakes!! I'm also impressed that you're able to honestly appraise your mistakes and come here and tell us about it so we might learn from it as well.

Upcoming Races

Is the Monster Dash HM one of the Team Ortho races? I did their Chicago Monster Dash in 2012, and I still love/wear the jacket I got. Team Ortho races have the best swag (see also: windbreaker finisher's jacket for Minneapolis Marathon)!

I'm doing a 10k monster dash by team Ortho in Dallas the 31st! The finishers medal is stained glass and we also get the full zip up jacket.. Sweet swag indeed!
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    10/1---4.50 miles
    10/2---3.41 miles
    10/3---2.61 miles
    10/4---8.14 miles
    10/5---3.06 miles
    10/6---Rest Day
    10/7---4.48 miles
    10/8-10/18---life got in the way - 0 miles
    10/19---3.38 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    If anyone wants to follow my runs, you can always follow me on strava or Facebook:
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/6434743
    https://www.facebook.com/therunningstan
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    22km yesterday. I'm sitting at 160km for the month with 90km to go.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Upcoming Races

Yes, it's a Team Ortho race. As @Elise4270, you get a full zip hoodie for signing up and a stained glass medal for finishing. They have EARLY packet pickup and I've had my hoodie for a month, but I don't feel right wearing it until I finish the race. I'm thinking about giving my medal to my brother-in-law, since he was the one who got me running in the first place.

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If you're in Denver, CO and would like to meet up for a coffee or a drink Nov 11-15, PM me. I will be there for a meeting, but would love to get together with anyone from this group, understanding time constraints of course. Maybe even a slow run, because why not? :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm so hella behind- we are having some internet/work crack down so my time is minimal- and I have less time outside work.

But great news everyone- @kstar_lee for running your 2 miles!! That's awesome
    @kristinegift - congrats on Baltimore- that's awesome- even if it wasn't EXACTLY what you wanted- it was still a good experience!!!
    @7lenny7 glad to see you back and that you had a good time- even though no deer!
    @Stoshew71 - you're running always amazes me- an inspiration for real!!!

I haven't run since last Wed (wed or thurs) but I'll be out this week and then I think on Sunday- down to 2 run days a week and back to lifting.

Yesterday was my first lift after almost 3 weeks off- felt rough- but good. Glad I'm walking today for sure!!!
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This group really is the sweetest. You all know how to lift a gal up! Can I expect this kind of support at my first race? Registering tomorrow... :smiley:
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Oct 03      6.0      6.0
    Oct 04     11.2     17.2
    Oct 06      4.3     21.5
    Oct 08      6.3     27.8
    Oct 10      8.3     36.1
    Oct 11      6.0     42.1
    Oct 14      4.3     46.4
    Oct 15      5.1     51.5
    Oct 18     10.0     61.5
    Oct 20      5.2     66.7

exercise.png

Not a bad pace for me today, but my legs felt like bags of sand. This is my fourth monthly challenge, and I had hoped it would start feeling a little easier by now! Maybe that isn't the way it works ... maybe it always feels about as difficult, while you steadily get faster, or go farther, or get lighter?
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    kstar_lee wrote: »
    This group really is the sweetest. You all know how to lift a gal up! Can I expect this kind of support at my first race? Registering tomorrow... :smiley:

Your first race! That's so exciting! We'll all be here, cheering you on!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Someone recently posted a link to a site that sold headbands. I was going to check to see if they have a plain black one but I can't find the link. Can someone help me out?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Oct 1 - cycling class
    Oct 2 - rest - traveling
    Oct 3 - rest
    Oct 4 - 13.1 HM!
    Oct 5 - rest - traveling
    Oct 6 - cycling class
    Oct 7 - 4.71 + strength training
    Oct 8 - 3.01 slow and steady
    Oct 9 - strength training
    Oct 10 - 34 mile bike ride
    Oct 11 - 40 mile bike ride
    Oct 12 - 5 miles
    Oct 13 - cycling class
    Oct 14 - 5.21 miles + strength training
    Oct 15 - 4.25 + cycling class
    Oct 16 - Strength training
    Oct 17 - 34 mile bike ride
    Oct 18 - 77 mile bike ride.
    Oct 19 - rest!
    Oct 20 - 5.06 mile run ... still debating on cycling class tonight.

exercise.png

@patrikc333 - love your write up on Amsterdam. Thanks for sharing!
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I completed week 12 day 1 of 10k training today. I've been struggling with tight muscles and a little soreness this week but other than that it's been good. I'm running a 5k this Sunday so I'll be sure to stretch and take it easy leading up to it.

I think I need to add some sort of lifting or strength training if I want to continue to run more miles. Since I started increasing my miles I've had soreness, tightness, etc. even though I'm following a program and taking it slow. The other day my doctor told me to stop running and find some other form of exercise since "running is bad for the body." I have no intention of stopping since I enjoy it so much but it does get frustrating that I seem to feel "hurt" quite often.

Sorry for the mini rant - hope everyone is having a great day!

10/01: 4.34
    10/04: 4.92
    10/06: 4.96
    10/08: 1.69
    10/10: 4.78
    10/12: 5.12
    10/14: 1.65
    10/15: 5.04
    10/17: 5.35
    10/19: 2.69
    10/20: 5.41

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    kstar_lee wrote: »

Woohooo! That is great news!!!! :smile: Which race are you registering for?