Easier to lose in the 80s?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious thread? Just seems like an excuse to me.

No, I saw the article and thought I'd share it. Excuse for/by whom?
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

For anyone who believes this is legitimate and decides to stop trying....
  • tomatoey
    edited October 2015
    Options

If anything.... It's easier? Would you like to count calories by scrolling through a book? No thanks Jeff.....

Ha, that's true, I'm sure. MFP etc is great and there's (I think) a lot more knowledge about successful weight loss out there and potentially available to people these days.

But there is something different in our circumstances today than there was in the past, that's all. I think the "less NEAT" and "wonky portion sizes skewing our perceptions" explanations could account for the 10% or whatever difference in weight, that makes sense to me. The researchers were just speculating on causes, they only found a correlation.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    And how can you blame portion sizing if the people in the study are eating the same amount of calories now as they did then?

Because the only way we know how much people are eating is self reporting.

We also know what is made and sold, so we have a maximum figure from that.

How can that be? I don't think my family has ever reported how much beef, pork, poultry, eggs, raw milk, sweet corn, potatoes, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, cucumbers, peas, cabbage, lettuce, etc. we harvest and consumed, plus the fish, squirrel, rabbit, venison, and other wild game we consumed.
  • tomatoey
    Options

I don't see the danger you're seeing, really
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

I don't see the danger you're seeing, really

Cool.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hey, @daniwilford I found the questions of the sample interviewees to be quite comprehensive and should encompass everything they would have eaten in the past thirty days. As best they could recall it. Of course nobody was weighing their food.

With some slick statistical extrapolation they might take the interviewee's stated food intake and compare against the food production for that year. In the eighties and again now. Adjusted for population of course.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey, @daniwilford I found the questions of the sample interviewees to be quite comprehensive and should encompass everything they would have eaten in the past thirty days. As best they could recall it. Of course nobody was weighing their food.

With some slick statistical extrapolation they might take the interviewee's stated food intake and compare against the food production for that year. In the eighties and again now. Adjusted for population of course.
    There are significantly lower numbers of family farms now than 40 years ago. There are just too many variables for this study to be reliable.
  • tomatoey
    Options

There are significantly lower numbers of family farms now than 40 years ago. There are just too many variables for this study to be reliable.

Well, they found a correlation in the datasets they used, that is probably a finding that could be replicated (so is reliable).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How about "valid" instead, then?

GIGO.
  • tomatoey
    edited October 2015
    Options

If I could get stupid Firefox to open pdfs I'd check those questions out. Thank you for finding them, I'm interested in reading them and will. (I just have to click over to Safari really lol)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

It is easier than ever to calorie count. The problem is it is a study of people not calorie counting. If we could reliably show between now and the 1980s people at the same BMI eat less calories or do more exercise based on actual verified intake and output, I'd be rather amazed and interested in what possible explanation there is.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @tomatoey my second link lists the questions down the side....not PDF. Here's the list.
    DTD010Q - How often eat cold or hot cereal?
    DTD030Q - How often drink milk or on cereal?
    DTD040Q - How often drink regular soft drinks?
    DTD050Q - How often drink 100% fruit juice?
    DTD060Q - How often drink sweetened coffee/tea?
    DTD070Q - How often drink fruit/sports/energy?
    DTD080Q - How often eat fruit?
    DTD090Q - How often eat leafy/lettuce salad?
    DTD100Q - How often eat fried potatoes?
    DTD110Q - How often eat non-fried potatoes?
    DTD120Q - How often eat beans?
    DTD130Q - How often eat other vegetables?
    DTD140Q - How often eat pizza?
    DTD150Q - How often eat tomato-based salsa?
    DTD160Q - How often eat tomato sauce?
    DTD170Q - How often eat red meat?
    DTD180Q - How often eat processed meat?
    DTD190Q - How often eat cheese?
    DTD200Q - How often eat whole grain bread?
    DTD210Q - How often eat cooked whole grains?
    DTD220Q - How often eat chocolate or candy?
    DTD230Q - How often eat pastries?
    DTD240Q - How often eat cookies/cake?
    DTD250Q - How often eat ice cream?
    DTD260Q - How often eat popcorn?
    DTDCER - #Cereals reported/past month
    DTQ020a - Cereal 1 most often eaten
    DTQ020b - Cereal 2 most often eaten

It seems to go on forever but on second look there's a lot missing. Where's chicken? Fish?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    @tomatoey my second link lists the questions down the side....not PDF. Here's the list.

-deleted for brevity -

It seems to go on forever but on second look there's a lot missing. Where's chicken? Fish?

Don't you know that no one ever gained weight eating chicken or fish??? :tongue:
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Funny @SingRunTing . The researchers tapped in to a survey and database that has been asking consistent questions for many, many years. It is obvious from the questions that these are the sorts of things a government may want to know about how it's people are eating, but it's not nearly the same as a food diary. And even a food diary is self-reporting prone to error.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I still have to read the study, but it doesn't surprise me that human bodies evolve over time and some factors may contribute to how we utilize the nutrients that go in our body, but it's still how many calories you eat that determines if you gain or lose weight.

Not sure you mean the term evolve.

No that is exactly what I meant.. why the ?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I still have to read the study, but it doesn't surprise me that human bodies evolve over time and some factors may contribute to how we utilize the nutrients that go in our body, but it's still how many calories you eat that determines if you gain or lose weight.

Timescale is my guess.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Bodies do not evolve, they adapt. Populations evolve, and for ones with a human breeding time, they don't do so in the space of 30 years. And obesity isn't even something evolution can do much with. Rarely do individuals have obesity related health issues remove them from the breeding pool - most of the issues hit at ages when people have usually stopped breeding.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not talking about moving from Australopithecus to Homo.. I'm talking about the body utilizing calories differently. That may not even be what happened, but if it did it wouldn't surprise me.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well I'm not talking about moving from Australopithecus to Homo.. I'm talking about the body utilizing calories differently. That may not even be what happened, but if it did it wouldn't surprise me.
    In basically two generations? It would surprise me greatly.

What would be the impetus, let alone how genes would change in unison so quickly.