Easier to lose in the 80s?

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not talking about moving from Australopithecus to Homo.. I'm talking about the body utilizing calories differently. That may not even be what happened, but if it did it wouldn't surprise me.
    In basically two generations? It would surprise me greatly.

What would be the impetus, let alone how genes would change in unison so quickly.
    And why would the pressure be towards metabolism being more efficient (that's what the study would imply, taken at face value). If calories are plentiful, we'd see more people evolving to Tex sizes to make use of them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the 10-14% increase in carbs.

It said same calories, same protein and same fat, so wouldn't that be impossible? .
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @tomatoey my second link lists the questions down the side....not PDF. Here's the list.
    DTD010Q - How often eat cold or hot cereal?
    DTD030Q - How often drink milk or on cereal?
    DTD040Q - How often drink regular soft drinks?
    DTD050Q - How often drink 100% fruit juice?
    DTD060Q - How often drink sweetened coffee/tea?
    DTD070Q - How often drink fruit/sports/energy?
    DTD080Q - How often eat fruit?
    DTD090Q - How often eat leafy/lettuce salad?
    DTD100Q - How often eat fried potatoes?
    DTD110Q - How often eat non-fried potatoes?
    DTD120Q - How often eat beans?
    DTD130Q - How often eat other vegetables?
    DTD140Q - How often eat pizza?
    DTD150Q - How often eat tomato-based salsa?
    DTD160Q - How often eat tomato sauce?
    DTD170Q - How often eat red meat?
    DTD180Q - How often eat processed meat?
    DTD190Q - How often eat cheese?
    DTD200Q - How often eat whole grain bread?
    DTD210Q - How often eat cooked whole grains?
    DTD220Q - How often eat chocolate or candy?
    DTD230Q - How often eat pastries?
    DTD240Q - How often eat cookies/cake?
    DTD250Q - How often eat ice cream?
    DTD260Q - How often eat popcorn?
    DTDCER - #Cereals reported/past month
    DTQ020a - Cereal 1 most often eaten
    DTQ020b - Cereal 2 most often eaten

It seems to go on forever but on second look there's a lot missing. Where's chicken? Fish?

I could answer all those pretty accurately, but it would leave out a good bit of what I eat and not give any sense of calories, I don't think.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I think this is very interesting and brings up some very good points. So many things have changed in our lifestyles and environments since the 80's. It's mind boggling really.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Well if it's even real (not sure how we know the same amount of calories were consumed) I have no clue what would be the impetus would be. I agree the timeline is pretty suppressed and it's not likely.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    We have fewer pollutants today than in the eighties, in a few key areas. The air is cleaner. And we've eliminated lead in fuel and paints.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

Yeah, but a lot more outside those few key areas.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Well I'm not talking about moving from Australopithecus to Homo.. I'm talking about the body utilizing calories differently. That may not even be what happened, but if it did it wouldn't surprise me.

What would be the impetus, let alone how genes would change in unison so quickly.
    And why would the pressure be towards metabolism being more efficient (that's what the study would imply, taken at face value). If calories are plentiful, we'd see more people evolving to Tex sizes to make use of them.
    Y'all should be so lucky as to have me as your evolutionary vanguard.

But, yeah, that's what I was getting at with the impetus question: given more than plentiful calories, why would we evolve to be able to use them even more efficiently? So that's one more in the agreement column, despite my appalling mistake regarding Greek philosophers.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se , we've certainly got a lot more media exposure to potential toxins and pollutants, but make your case that we have more today. DDT used to be spread liberally around our environment here in North America. It still is in the tropics, because, frankly, Malaria is worse.

PCB's aren't terribly toxic but they are terribly durable. It's their durability that makes them hazardous to the environment. They're deucedly hard to get out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se , we've certainly got a lot more media exposure to potential toxins and pollutants, but make your case that we have more today. DDT used to be spread liberally around our environment here in North America. It still is in the tropics, because, frankly, Malaria is worse.

PCB's aren't terribly toxic but they are terribly durable. It's their durability that makes them hazardous to the environment. They're deucedly hard to get out.

I'm not just talking pesticides. I'm talking everything. Food, water, air, soil, clothing, medications, hygiene products, cosmetics, building matericals, etc. All of it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Is this a serious thread? Just seems like an excuse to me.

No, I saw the article and thought I'd share it. Excuse for/by whom?

For anyone who believes this is legitimate and decides to stop trying....

One of the possibilities given was increase in prescription drugs. We have lots and lots of threads about losing weight while on drugs that are known to increase appetite. No one suggests that this means one should stop trying.

No one ever suggests seriously that anyone should stop trying. We often say that some circumstances make weight loss more challenging, but never impossible.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

::huh:: Why would it being legitimate be reason to stop trying?? How does that make any sense?
  • senecarr
    Options

Y'all should be so lucky as to have me as your evolutionary vanguard.

But, yeah, that's what I was getting at with the impetus question: given more than plentiful calories, why would we evolve to be able to use them even more efficiently? So that's one more in the agreement column, despite my appalling mistake regarding Greek philosophers.
    To be fair, my name started as a mistake about Greek philosophers that I eventually corrected my father about - in naming me Seneca, his history notes for Western Civ referred to him as a Greek, rather than Roman philosopher. 16 years later I corrected him on it. Being able to correct people on Greek philosophy every 16 years or so seems short compensation for being several inches shorter than average. Not to mention, you've clearly evolved about philosophy, but I'm not about to evolve in height. :)
  • senecarr
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

One of the possibilities given was increase in prescription drugs. We have lots and lots of threads about losing weight while on drugs that are known to increase appetite. No one suggests that this means one should stop trying.

No one ever suggests seriously that anyone should stop trying. We often say that some circumstances make weight loss more challenging, but never impossible.

Except as the research claims equal calories and exercise, it would imply equal appetite.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    We have fewer pollutants today than in the eighties, in a few key areas. The air is cleaner. And we've eliminated lead in fuel and paints.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27067615

Good point. But as I was born in the 70's, perhaps it's a delayed result overall? If, again, it's even accurate. I tend to think there is some effect due to some rodents studies.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    @tomatoey my second link lists the questions down the side....not PDF. Here's the list.
    DTD010Q - How often eat cold or hot cereal?
    DTD030Q - How often drink milk or on cereal?
    DTD040Q - How often drink regular soft drinks?
    DTD050Q - How often drink 100% fruit juice?
    DTD060Q - How often drink sweetened coffee/tea?
    DTD070Q - How often drink fruit/sports/energy?
    DTD080Q - How often eat fruit?
    DTD090Q - How often eat leafy/lettuce salad?
    DTD100Q - How often eat fried potatoes?
    DTD110Q - How often eat non-fried potatoes?
    DTD120Q - How often eat beans?
    DTD130Q - How often eat other vegetables?
    DTD140Q - How often eat pizza?
    DTD150Q - How often eat tomato-based salsa?
    DTD160Q - How often eat tomato sauce?
    DTD170Q - How often eat red meat?
    DTD180Q - How often eat processed meat?
    DTD190Q - How often eat cheese?
    DTD200Q - How often eat whole grain bread?
    DTD210Q - How often eat cooked whole grains?
    DTD220Q - How often eat chocolate or candy?
    DTD230Q - How often eat pastries?
    DTD240Q - How often eat cookies/cake?
    DTD250Q - How often eat ice cream?
    DTD260Q - How often eat popcorn?
    DTDCER - #Cereals reported/past month
    DTQ020a - Cereal 1 most often eaten
    DTQ020b - Cereal 2 most often eaten

It seems to go on forever but on second look there's a lot missing. Where's chicken? Fish?

I could answer all those pretty accurately, but it would leave out a good bit of what I eat and not give any sense of calories, I don't think.

I also answered accurately ( with 15 " no never"s ), but feel that most of what I actually eat is missing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Except as the research claims equal calories and exercise, it would imply equal appetite.

If it is medications, then it's possible that fat isn't the only issue. Many medications can cause chronic water retention.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I'm not just talking pesticides. I'm talking everything. Food, water, air, soil, clothing, medications, hygiene products, cosmetics, building matericals, etc. All of it.

I gave a couple examples where I know we have far less in the environment than we did in the past; especially since the eighties! I suggest there's less in the food, water, air, soil, clothing, medications, hygiene products, cosmetics, and building materials. As toxins are found out they are removed from our supplies and regulations are tightened up. If you are suggesting there's more, give me examples.

Heck, we have entire business lines that work hard to be free of added chemicals, like the Body Shop and Trader Joe's. In the eighties we had sprayable cheese.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options

I gave a couple examples where I know we have far less in the environment than we did in the past; especially since the eighties! I suggest there's less in the food, water, air, soil, clothing, medications, hygiene products, cosmetics, and building materials. As toxins are found out they are removed from our supplies and regulations are tightened up. If you are suggesting there's more, give me examples.

Heck, we have entire business lines that work hard to be free of added chemicals, like the Body Shop and Trader Joe's. In the eighties we had sprayable cheese.

In addition to the potential delay (as with carcinogens, it takes a while for the exposure to show up in statistics) many past pollutants remain long after they're banned, built up in air, soil, water, and in us.

The number of toxins a baby is exposed to before birth is horrifying. And many of those have been banned for awhile, as I recall.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Here's an example where testing and discovery is reducing the toxins in environment. A new way of treating railroad ties.
    http://msucares.com/news/print/fwnews/fw10/100722.html

Borate
    http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/reregistration/cca/borates.htm

Creosote
    https://www.ec.gc.ca/toxiques-toxics/Default.asp?lang=En&n=5018787E-1
    Creosote was added to the toxic substances list in 1999.

I'm interested in this one as our house has looked out on an empty lot for thirty years, the location of an old railroad tie treatment plant that burned down. The groundwater's been tested for years and it has just been cleared for redevelopment.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Azuriaz on that list would be PCB's and DDT because these chemicals are VERY sturdy.They just build and build. The herbicides we use today have a very short half-life so they don't build up. Which is why we work so hard not to get the first sort of chemical in the environment in the first place. But in and of themselves, they're not that toxic.