are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    KateKyi wrote: »
    Got to look at your micro nutrients and vitamins. These are the essential building blocks of moving weight. The better levels they are at, the faster the weight will move. Carbs are fat in disguise. When you eat too many Carbs they turn into fat, provided that the liver and pancreas are working. Too much fat in your blood stream can cause blockages in the liver and too few micronutrients stop the pancreas working. So the reason why LCHF diets work imo is that the micro nutrients get to burn the fat from the cells in the liver and the liver sends the micro nutrients to the pancreas which produce the enzymes to burn more fat. Stopping the carbohydrates forces the body to use its fuel cells to burn fat instead of using the cells to convert carbohydrates into fat. Limiting your diet will limit your nutrients in order for the liver and pancreas to work properly. This of course assumes you have normal functioning liver and pancreas to start with. Eat less carbs and more veg and fats. You will feel fuller and have fat burning system not a fat storing system.
    Carbs are fat in disguise?
    That is like the worst possible Transformers spin-off imaginable.

Blobby Transformers. I don't see how that would work.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The craving argument being used in this discussion seems a bit spurious (not as pertains to the people making them, but rather in a universal sense). It's a popular line that carbs lead to more carb cravings, but I think it's more appropriate to say that tasty food is more-ish.

If I'm not mistaken, the results of the Yale Food Addiction survey point to pizza as the most often craved/more-ish food cited by respondents. A perfect combination of savory carb/protein/fat goodness.

The how and why of craving is probably quite complex. Right now, I'm sitting here craving a poached egg on toast. I'm hungry, so I'll go make it as soon as I'm done typing this :) My reason for craving it could be tied to good memories of having eaten it in the past, the fact that it's tasty, the fact that my stomach isn't quite settled and I associate it with my mother making it when I was feeling poorly as a child -- all sorts of things.

I have, at another time in my life, been simply mad for egg salad. And yes, eating it made me want more. The combination of the taste and texture? I kept wanting to experience it.

I always give anecdotes because I'm not of the belief that my experiences are unique. While I realize I'm just one person, I also realize that... I'm not super special or weirdly out of sync in how my body is. I'm going to assume that other people like me exist out there. I'm also going to assume that other people different from me exist out there. Which brings me back to my point:

The argument for cravings isn't, imo, a good one, because cravings following the ingestion of just carbs isn't a universal phenomenon AND because I'm not convinced that cravings are purely a biological construct.

I only speak for myself and my own experience. And to be clear: if I have dominos pizza for breakfast, it doesn't mean I necessarily keep craving pizza, I may crave nachos, cap'n crunch etc. If I have avocado and eggs for breakfast, the cap'n doesn't call so much.
    Again, just little ole me. And since it's no big deal, if I stick to the plan, to not eat heavily refined, highly palatable foods, its a great approach for me.

And you have 14 years of experience with eating your way, so that is clearly optimum :)

I was just trying to bring some clarity to the point, because sometimes the "carbs = cravings" mantra is stated as a universal cause/effect rather than an individual occurrence.

Thanks for clarifying where you're coming from.

Yes, exactly. People are different and I don't doubt that works for Sabine (and I appreciate that Sabine distinguishes between heavily refined and other carbs vs. saying it's "carbs" in general that are the issue for her).

The only reason I jump into these arguments is because it's so often phrased not as an individual thing, but as a general rule.

Well, and because I get tired of people generalizing about "carbs" as if they were all Oreos and potato chips and ignoring the fact that most "junk foods" are really carbs+fat (just like Oreos and potato chips).

Personally, I have a hard time eating large amounts of just carbs.

When I read this I started thinking about eating carbs and realized how hard it is to think of carbs that I eat without fat or protein. Then I remembered those that I don't eat because I like to pig out on them. Cocoa Puffs comes to mind. I can literally eat a box of Cocoa Puffs, and since I don't like milk and use almond milk, fat and protein are not added. So, I guess I could eat a large amount of just carbs.

It probably means that you just really like Cocoa Puffs. I mean, would you do the same with every cereal, or is just Cocoa Puffs? Sometimes, we like the taste of things and it has nothing to do with how many carbs or fat or protein something has.

Not just Cocoa Puffs, but not every cereal either. I don't like those little red things that fall off in the milk when I eat Apple Jacks, for instance.

Apple Jacks always gave me the worst heartburn, even when I was a kid!

My cereal of choice to go nuts with (and yes, I had mine with milk)? Frosted Flakes. I wasn't big on super sugary cereals. Later on, when they came on the market, Frosted Mini-Wheats. Those I could eat dry, but I never went crazy over-eating them then. It was more like having a small snack. If I had them with milk? WATCH OUT!

And those are 2 I don't care for. Even as a kid I thought Frosted Flakes were too sweet. And I don't care how much sugar you put on a brillo pad I'm not going to be fooled into thinking it's food!

Frosted Mini Wheats are one of the highest sugar cereals. Way more than stuff like Cookie Crisp.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I'm surprised by the sugar content of those, but not. I guess I never liked the colorful cereals, I should say.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Cap'n Crunch for me until the roof of my mouth was in shreds!!

Yes! Oh, I thought I was heaven when Crunch Berries were released. (Yes, I'm older than Crunch Berries)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    sagvig wrote: »

I can save you the time. We gain weight when our calorie intake is more than what or body needs, hence we have a calorie surplus which if your goal is to gain weight (building muscle or underweight) that is fine but if your goal is to loose you need to maintain a calorie deficit. This can be created by exercise or consuming less calories or a combination of both.
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Got to look at your micro nutrients and vitamins. These are the essential building blocks of moving weight. The better levels they are at, the faster the weight will move. Carbs are fat in disguise. When you eat too many Carbs they turn into fat, provided that the liver and pancreas are working. Too much fat in your blood stream can cause blockages in the liver and too few micronutrients stop the pancreas working. So the reason why LCHF diets work imo is that the micro nutrients get to burn the fat from the cells in the liver and the liver sends the micro nutrients to the pancreas which produce the enzymes to burn more fat. Stopping the carbohydrates forces the body to use its fuel cells to burn fat instead of using the cells to convert carbohydrates into fat. Limiting your diet will limit your nutrients in order for the liver and pancreas to work properly. This of course assumes you have normal functioning liver and pancreas to start with. Eat less carbs and more veg and fats. You will feel fuller and have fat burning system not a fat storing system.

Oh dear.

Fat doesn't get stored permanently in a caloric deficit.

I'm going to leave my comments to that.

You both obviously have no idea of how the micro nutrients work with the liver function into producing energy and what it does with excess energy. I did not say either system was good or bad, just said which was faster.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The craving argument being used in this discussion seems a bit spurious (not as pertains to the people making them, but rather in a universal sense). It's a popular line that carbs lead to more carb cravings, but I think it's more appropriate to say that tasty food is more-ish.

If I'm not mistaken, the results of the Yale Food Addiction survey point to pizza as the most often craved/more-ish food cited by respondents. A perfect combination of savory carb/protein/fat goodness.

The how and why of craving is probably quite complex. Right now, I'm sitting here craving a poached egg on toast. I'm hungry, so I'll go make it as soon as I'm done typing this :) My reason for craving it could be tied to good memories of having eaten it in the past, the fact that it's tasty, the fact that my stomach isn't quite settled and I associate it with my mother making it when I was feeling poorly as a child -- all sorts of things.

I have, at another time in my life, been simply mad for egg salad. And yes, eating it made me want more. The combination of the taste and texture? I kept wanting to experience it.

I always give anecdotes because I'm not of the belief that my experiences are unique. While I realize I'm just one person, I also realize that... I'm not super special or weirdly out of sync in how my body is. I'm going to assume that other people like me exist out there. I'm also going to assume that other people different from me exist out there. Which brings me back to my point:

The argument for cravings isn't, imo, a good one, because cravings following the ingestion of just carbs isn't a universal phenomenon AND because I'm not convinced that cravings are purely a biological construct.

I only speak for myself and my own experience. And to be clear: if I have dominos pizza for breakfast, it doesn't mean I necessarily keep craving pizza, I may crave nachos, cap'n crunch etc. If I have avocado and eggs for breakfast, the cap'n doesn't call so much.
    Again, just little ole me. And since it's no big deal, if I stick to the plan, to not eat heavily refined, highly palatable foods, its a great approach for me.

And you have 14 years of experience with eating your way, so that is clearly optimum :)

I was just trying to bring some clarity to the point, because sometimes the "carbs = cravings" mantra is stated as a universal cause/effect rather than an individual occurrence.

Thanks for clarifying where you're coming from.

Yes, exactly. People are different and I don't doubt that works for Sabine (and I appreciate that Sabine distinguishes between heavily refined and other carbs vs. saying it's "carbs" in general that are the issue for her).

The only reason I jump into these arguments is because it's so often phrased not as an individual thing, but as a general rule.

Well, and because I get tired of people generalizing about "carbs" as if they were all Oreos and potato chips and ignoring the fact that most "junk foods" are really carbs+fat (just like Oreos and potato chips).

Personally, I have a hard time eating large amounts of just carbs.

When I read this I started thinking about eating carbs and realized how hard it is to think of carbs that I eat without fat or protein. Then I remembered those that I don't eat because I like to pig out on them. Cocoa Puffs comes to mind. I can literally eat a box of Cocoa Puffs, and since I don't like milk and use almond milk, fat and protein are not added. So, I guess I could eat a large amount of just carbs.

It probably means that you just really like Cocoa Puffs. I mean, would you do the same with every cereal, or is just Cocoa Puffs? Sometimes, we like the taste of things and it has nothing to do with how many carbs or fat or protein something has.

Not just Cocoa Puffs, but not every cereal either. I don't like those little red things that fall off in the milk when I eat Apple Jacks, for instance.

Then I suspect it's not the carbs. I mean, I like Life cereal as well as Marshmallow Mateys, but while I'm happy with Life cereal, I will pig out on Marshmallow Mateys. And Life has a lot more carbs, so for me, that's not it. I just like it better. Sometimes a preference is just a preference, there's no underlying reason for it. That's not to say if you pig out on something you should just learn to 'deal with it'. The reason I don't pig out on MM anymore is because they are not allowed in my house! I don't crave 'carbs', though a lot of my favorite foods have them.

Oh, I wasn't saying I pigged out because of the carbs. I was just thinking of examples where I eat large amounts of carbs alone. Cereal was all I could come up with.
    Dr. Kellog would be proud, especially if it leaves you placid.

It's been so long since I ate that much sugar in one sitting that I'd probably be bouncing off the walls. ::laugh::

I've seen back and forth studies on that, but the balance of it seems to be, sugar does not cause hyperactivity. Knowing you've eaten sugar certainly seems to cause it, but a study or two that used kids and parents double-blind to it has shown having hidden into food doesn't seem to cause hyperactivity.
    I think it is probably one of the more persistent nutrition "facts" we have.

I used to think there must be something wrong with me because I never experienced any kind of sugar hyperactivity and really, I'd feel the opposite, it made me tired. Weirdly even caffeine does that to me, though. One can of Pepsi and I'd need a nap soon after, I called them Pepsi Naps. (Maybe there is something wrong with me...)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Katekyi - I'm backing @senecarr and @PeachyCarol here. Folks on the MFP forum have graciously described the entire glucose metabolism cycle and I promise you carbs and fats are both macros. With different cycles to transform them in to glycogen.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Oh dear.

You both obviously have no idea of how the micro nutrients work with the liver function into producing energy and what it does with excess energy

What moves weight, is necessity. If your body needs energy and doesn't have glucose available, it will burn fats. If your body could actually have a micronutrient deficiency so easily limit energy release from storage, we'd all be dead. Burning fat is a necessity.

I'll offer you some insight. You probably think being thin or normal weight is an outcome the body actively tries to maintain and that becoming fat is a completely unnatural problem. Therefore, it makes sense to you that a deficiency, an imbalance, is the cause of being fat. It is giving too much intention and goal directed behavior to your body to think of it that way.

The truth is that being deficient in nutrients is going to, if anything, increase calorie burn as your body will have to spend more energy recycling the necessary components to produce metabolic reactions.

Being overweight is not a micronutrient deficiency. At the simplest level, it is about energy input and output. The higher output is to input, the more fat stores have to burn, and thus the faster weight is loss. That's about it.
  • KateKyi
    edited October 2015
    Options

How will my carbs be stored as fat if I'm not overeating? If I drink a lot of wine and eat high fat, will I overwork my liver? Because I like to drink wine.

I never said deficient I said too many. While you eat carbs you are still burning energy. If you eat more energy than your body needs it will convert it into stored fat whether the excess is due to fat or carbs in your diet. The stored fat prevents the liver working as does liver damage due to excessive drinking. This doesnt mean stop drinking, just make sure your liver stays healthy. BTW Alcohol is sugar which is also a carbohydrate and will need to be totaled up in your healthy diet as a carb. Whichever healthy plate guideline you are following.
  • KateKyi
    edited October 2015
    Options

Oh dear.

You both obviously have no idea of how the micro nutrients work with the liver function into producing energy and what it does with excess energy

What moves weight, is necessity. If your body needs energy and doesn't have glucose available, it will burn fats. If your body could actually have a micronutrient deficiency so easily limit energy release from storage, we'd all be dead. Burning fat is a necessity.

I'll offer you some insight. You probably think being thin or normal weight is an outcome the body actively tries to maintain and that becoming fat is a completely unnatural problem. Therefore, it makes sense to you that a deficiency, an imbalance, is the cause of being fat. It is giving too much intention and goal directed behavior to your body to think of it that way.

The truth is that being deficient in nutrients is going to, if anything, increase calorie burn as your body will have to spend more energy recycling the necessary components to produce metabolic reactions.

Being overweight is not a micronutrient deficiency. At the simplest level, it is about energy input and output. The higher output is to input, the more fat stores have to burn, and thus the faster weight is loss. That's about it.

This statement is factually incorrect. You can be overweight and nutrient deficient. You can be over weight obese and still be malnurished. If you do not make enough fatty acids in your diet you will not be able to burn calories.
  • mickmgd
    mickmgd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I frankly have no idea whether they are good, bad, or indifferent. All I know is my diet is around 65% carb, 15% fat, and 20% protein. This is completely by chance. I eat to a comfortable level every day, consume between 1200 and 1600 calories a day, try to burn between 200 and 500 calories, and it works for me. Unhealthy? My guess would be it is far less healthier than when I was 50lbs heavier than my current weight
  • mickmgd
    mickmgd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    mickmgd wrote: »
    I frankly have no idea whether they are good, bad, or indifferent. All I know is my diet is around 65% carb, 15% fat, and 20% protein. This is completely by chance. I eat to a comfortable level every day, consume between 1200 and 1600 calories a day, try to burn between 200 and 500 calories, and it works for me. Unhealthy? My guess would be it is far less healthier than when I was 50lbs heavier than my current weight

That should read far healthier than when I was 50lb heavier. Can't even blame fat finger syndrome any more!
  • senecarr
    Options

How will my carbs be stored as fat if I'm not overeating? If I drink a lot of wine and eat high fat, will I overwork my liver? Because I like to drink wine.

I never said deficient I said too many. While you eat carbs you are still burning energy. If you eat more energy than your body needs it will convert it into stored fat whether the excess is due to fat or carbs in your diet. The stored fat prevents the liver working as does liver damage due to excessive drinking. This doesnt mean stop drinking, just make sure your liver stays healthy. BTW Alcohol is sugar which is also a carbohydrate and will need to be totaled up in your healthy diet as a carb. Whichever healthy plate guideline you are following.

Generally, if you have excess glucose, it will be combined with lipids to form triglycerides, rather than performing fatty acid creation. The triglyceride formation tends to happen in fat cells, not the liver. Your body generally tries to avoid de novolipogensis (creating fatty acids out of carbs) because it isn't the most efficient process.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I don't follow any plate. I'm blazing my own trail.
  • senecarr
    Options

Oh dear.

This statement is factually incorrect. You can be overweight and nutrient deficient. You can be over weight obese and still be malnurished. If you do not make enough fatty acids in your diet you will not be able to burn calories.

Your statements are not a counter to my statement. My statement was not that "You cannot be overweight and micronutrient deficient." My statement is that being overweight is not a symptom of a micro-nutrient deficiency. I literally mean that your words sound like you're claiming becoming overweight has to do with lacking a micronutrient. It doesn't.

And I don't know what you mean by make enough fatty acids. Your body usually does not make much, if any fatty acids, even in an overfed state. The typical metabolic pathways are to use carbohydrates to avoid burning stored fats and dietary fats, so that they can be directly used as fats. Your body will never not use calories because it lacks a nutrient. That would mean you're dying.
  • KateKyi
    edited October 2015
    Options

Generally, if you have excess glucose, it will be combined with lipids to form triglycerides, rather than performing fatty acid creation. The triglyceride formation tends to happen in fat cells, not the liver. Your body generally tries to avoid de novolipogensis (creating fatty acids out of carbs) because it isn't the most efficient process.

And if you dont have the micronutriants to make the triglyercide thats when you get problems in the process. The liver is where the fat is removed but the free fatty acids attach themselves to the cells blocking the normal body functions that convert the burning processes, storing up problems that causes weight gain. In a ideal body yes I agree most people just need to cut down on calories to burn off excess. Most people who have gained weight and have difficulty moving the weight are either too lazy to burn it off or too ill to burn it off. There is no one fit way in removing weight. Everyone is different. If you are in good health and have no ill health problems then you will have no problem shifting weight. If you have problems with your micronutrients then you will have problems shifting weight. Either way at the end of the day you have to decide what is best. Not everyone should be treated the same because they are over weight.
    If you have problems with diabetes then you do not have enough insulin for the processes to work and you have further health problems due to too much sugar kicking around the body forming damaging crystals that make your health worst. These are the people who are tending to say fat diets work because they reduce sugars and stop the crystals forming. Carb eaters who dont have health issues are using lower calories to lose the weight and it doesnt matter if they are all carbs because their bodies can process it.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Oh dear.

You both obviously have no idea of how the micro nutrients work with the liver function into producing energy and what it does with excess energy. I did not say either system was good or bad, just said which was faster.

Oh dear.

Are you asserting that the overweight/obese can fix their problems with a multi-vitamin?

• PeachyCarol
    Options

You can eat too much protein, or too much fat too. Anything that surpasses your body's energy needs will be stored as excess fat.

That was the problem with your original post. You singled out carbs, and some of us inferred, since you weren't specific, that you were talking too many in proportion to the other macro nutrients within a deficit.

If you're talking a surplus of calories, it doesn't matter which macronutrient supplies the calories. If you eat too much, your body will store fat.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Oh dear.

That's not a response to what he said.