are carbs really that terrible?

Options
i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

Replies

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    No, you will not gain weight on carbohydrates any more than fat or protein. It's all calories.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Everyone doesn't hate carbs. I LOVE my carbs actually :smile: Not sure if will gain weight that way, it probably depends on the amount of calories you burn or don't compared to what you put in......
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    IMO it's what ever works best for you, some people eat a low carb high fat diet (of course the right amount of calories) others eat a low fat more protein and carb diet as long as you eat the right amount of calories you will loose. I find it easier to eat less carbs than fat, but I've always been a fat eater (butter on everything!) but if fats were not my thing a higher carb diet would work better.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't want to suggest that my diet is right for anyone but me. I know it isn't. Everyone has unique circumstances and has to choose what they believe is best for them.

I eat a very high-carb diet and have lost 93 pounds. I'm very Pro on high carb for me.

Many people go low carb for a variety of reasons and that works well for them. I get that and I think it's every bit as great as me going high-carb. Whatever works!!!
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

You're not going to gain weight eating 988 calories a day, full stop.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No, it's about hating carbs. It that for some people, carbs cause glucose spikes and are less satiating than protein and fat and THESE impacts can make a person want to eat more than they need/should. Carbs themselves do not mysteriously make you gain weight. I focus on consuming enough protein then the carbs and fat fall into place and my hunger keeps controlled and my body feels balanced.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    As long as you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight (regardless of macro composition). Macros are important for preventing muscle loss, general nutrition (especially with fat-soluble vitamins), and satiety, but different people feel the fullest on different macro percentages.

If you're only consuming 988 calories today, then you really need to think about upping it to at least 1500 (I think 1500 is the minimum for men and 1200 for women). It's not recommended to eat that low for long periods because of muscle loss (remember: your heart is muscle also) and how difficult it is to meet the minimums for all the nutrients you need. Even something as simple as cooking your oatmeal with full fat milk (instead of skim milk or water) or adding 1-2oz of nuts with your fruit will help to up the calories consumed without adding a ton of volume.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Low GI carbs are best for stable energy levels, but high GI carbs tend to be the yummiest! I love my carbs, and find there's nothing better than doing a workout fully carbed up with full glycogen stores.

Checkout Durian Riders website and youtube videos: carbthef**kup.com. He and his wife Freelee (bananagirl) are quite delusional, but also quite funny. They do make some good points, but their diet is the opposite extreme from Ketogenic. You've got to find what works for you, and it sounds like carbs are your thing.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You may not gain weight, but your health will suffer. ;)
  • dnkibble
    dnkibble Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight eating large amounts of any macro ; carbs, fat and protein. People have become afraid of carbs not realizing you need them for energy which is important. I eat a high protein low fat and moderate carbs diet and it has produced great energy levels and nice timely results. You may feel good today after eating like you have but if you continue to miss out on your other macros (fat-protein) you will start to feel run down, you need the protein!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

not everyone hates carbs...they just happen to be the latest in a long line of dietary demons. there's nothing wrong with carbs.
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    You may not gain weight, but your health will suffer. ;)

really...do tell....

my diet is modeled largely after the Mediterranean Diet which is fairly high carb...and considered one of the healthier diets on the planet. Vegetarian and Vegan diets tend to also be high carb...so please...share your vast knowledge on how eating such a diet is going to result in declining health....
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    No particular problem with eating ~700 cals in carbs. But for overall health/well-being you want to get enough protein and healthy fats.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Noooooo! Carbs are you body's best energy source! Easiest to metabolize. Don't listen to low carb fad diets.

You could only eat protein and if you're in surplus you'll gain weight. Carbs get a bad rep for some reason.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Go with what works for you.

Weight loss and maintenance will always be CI-CO, how you choose to divide those calories up is personal preference and dealing with any underlying medical issues that may make a difference and in making your choice you have to see yourself being satisfied and happy to continue for the rest of your life.

All over the World there have been so many styles of eating, vegan, vegetarianism, flexible eating, people whose diets consist of 3 meat and no veg. many are fit, healthy have good blood results all the markers of good health and they ate like this without giving in to mass media hype or the misinformation that can emerge from sites such as MFP.

They would not consider changing their way of eating just to fit in with the current trends where headlines are NOW pointing fingers of blame towards carbs over increasing obesity and the rise of other illnesses. A couple of decades ago expanding waistlines and high cholesterol were blamed on fats now that has been replaced with sugars and carbs.....

After 5 decades of circling the Sun I'm going to continue to eat what I enjoy, what makes me feel satisfied and the widest variety of fresh foods I can.....with a few mass produced treats thrown in. I have lost 178 lbs eating like this and have maintained that loss for nearly 3 years.....

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It depends on you. If you are insulin resistant or have an intolerance then yes, carbs are the worst. For me, eating a lot of simple carbs makes me feel sluggish and I usually end up bloated and retain a ton water. BUT if you don' have any medical reasons, then no i don't think carbs are all that bad. You know your body better than anyone. If you can lose with carbs, then go for it. Don't worry about cutting them.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Carbs are not evil. There are no evil foods. Now, if your doctor puts you on a low carb diet due to medical issues, that's one thing. And there are people that do well on low carb diets. Just keep in mind that what you chose to do for your diet and eating habits now needs to be something you'll be comfortable making a perminant change. If you go low carb and lose weight, fine, but if you're not happy with a low carb diet, once you hit your goal you're likely to go back to eating how you were and there goes your progress. Find a way of changing your diet and eating habits that works best FOR YOU and will be sustainable. As long as your body gets the nutrients it needs to stay healthy, the rest is window dressing.

As for me you, you will have to pry the buttery-garlicky-breadsticks out of my cold, dead hands! XD
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason your overall caloric intake was so low? It's much lower than any recommended amount.

Carbs are not bad at all, but ...

While someone is losing weight (in particular), they're vulnerable to losing muscle mass. At the percentage you've listed, it sounds like you're not eating much protein. Getting enough protein (.65-.85g per lb of bodyweight) is important combined with some sort of resistance training to preserve your lean body mass.

Carbs, barring certain medical conditions (and even then, they often just need to be slightly limited or conscientiously combined), are great. They're your body's preferred source of fuel, and many people find them very satiating.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No.

Carbs are not bad for you. As a matter of fact they're incredibly important.

But... why are you eating under 1000 cals?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Carbs are NOT bad. Why are you only eating 988 calories?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd be a lot more concerned about the healthiness of only eating 988 calories a day than carbs.