are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    I think you should be more concerned about how many calories you are eating than what kinds of carbs you are consuming.

This!!!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients don't make people fat; people make people fat! Hahaha
    Seriously: I like fewer carbs, but it's perfectly reasonable to like more.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

I looooove my carbs. My carbs, unfortunately, like to leave me water which, fortunately, is not fat gain and therefore will disappear if I cut down on the carbs.

Do I have any plans to cut down on the carbs?

Not anytime soon. :)

beware-carb-monster1.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    hi135 wrote: »
    The bad carbs makes me feel like poop.

There are no "bad carbs".

Yep. There are only carbs. :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    The bad carbs makes me feel like poop.

There are no "bad carbs".

Yeah the ones that make me feel like poop I consider bad carbs.
    So fiber? Not sure I follow.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

Why are you eating so few calories? That is not nearly enough to properly fuel your body.
  • SLLRunner
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Food does not have the capacity to be good or evil. Up until just a few years ago, I could not have the good gooey sweet carbs in my house because I would devour them. I was convinced that carbs and sugar were the problem. However, once I took back my power to consciously choose what I eat, I was able to moderate all my intake, including carbs. For me, changing my relationship with all food has been empowering.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'd say, if you don't have any medical issues concerning carbs, feel free to eat as many as you like. I love my high-ish carb life!
  • CazzieH123
    CazzieH123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs. Only I swap white for brown. Makes me less bloated. And just watch how much bread I eat. But that's a personal thing. I.e I eat loads of bread I bloat. Which is down to my sensitivity to yeast. Everyone is different.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Carbs are wonderful :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    No, it's about hating carbs. It that for some people, carbs cause glucose spikes and are less satiating than protein and fat and THESE impacts can make a person want to eat more than they need/should. Carbs themselves do not mysteriously make you gain weight. I focus on consuming enough protein then the carbs and fat fall into place and my hunger keeps controlled and my body feels balanced.

This. If that isn't you, OP, enjoy your carbs!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

I'm guilty. I definitely see carbs as evil after all the problems they have caused me. I can't help but feel that way. :|

I do recognize carbs aren't that way for many though.

But tell me, what's so wrong with thinking carbs are evil if they cause lots of problems for you?
    It's wrong because inanimate objects don't possess moral characteristics and they certainly don't have agency or intent.

If your body doesn't react well to carbs -- or peanuts, or strawberries, or shellfish -- then you should take that into account. There's a fundamental difference between "carbs are evil" and "carbs don't work well for me."

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

I'm guilty. I definitely see carbs as evil after all the problems they have caused me. I can't help but feel that way. :|

But tell me, what's so wrong with thinking carbs are evil if they cause lots of problems for you?
    It's wrong because inanimate objects don't possess moral characteristics and they certainly don't have agency or intent.

If your body doesn't react well to carbs -- or peanuts, or strawberries, or shellfish -- then you should take that into account. There's a fundamental difference between "carbs are evil" and "carbs don't work well for me."

Yes I understand that this is not everyone's experience with carbs. So I don't tell people they have to watch their carbs if they don't have issues with them. And I understand that carbs are not real living things and don't really possess characteristics such as being evil. However, I don't think it's a big deal to say carbs are evil. People know that carbs aren't alive. I hope no one takes that statement literally. As long as you give the caveat that carbs aren't bad for everyone, I just don't see the problem.

I hear people say this exercise is a beast or a particular piece of workout equipment is a monster...I don't then believe the exercise or equipment is alive. It's just an expression.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Because not everyone is like you and has problems with carbs.

I can go around telling people penicillin is evil and everyone should stop using it because it will kill me, but I totally understand that I'm a minority and penicillin will save more people than it harms.

TL;DR - don't assume everyone has your metabolic issues.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    As long as you consume fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight (regardless of macro composition). Macros are important for preventing muscle loss, general nutrition (especially with fat-soluble vitamins), and satiety, but different people feel the fullest on different macro percentages.

If you're only consuming 988 calories today, then you really need to think about upping it to at least 1500 (I think 1500 is the minimum for men and 1200 for women). It's not recommended to eat that low for long periods because of muscle loss (remember: your heart is muscle also) and how difficult it is to meet the minimums for all the nutrients you need. Even something as simple as cooking your oatmeal with full fat milk (instead of skim milk or water) or adding 1-2oz of nuts with your fruit will help to up the calories consumed without adding a ton of volume.

This is exactly what I would have said.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I used to see them as evil but that was when I ate them in large amounts and had no control. Now I try and include them in my diet but in smaller portions, to stay within my calorie goal. We now have a good relationship
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

Because words have meanings, and calling something evil doesn't mean "something I don't like/doesn't agree with me", it means something objectively bad.

/peanuts are evil. Soy, chickpeas, sesame, dust, pollen, grass, dogs, cats, horses and goddamn latex are evil. And some of those could actually kill me, so I'm talking grade A evil.

Though according to my daughter, eggs and dairy are evil. And my sister says pinenuts are evil.

Everything is evil.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Percentage of carbs doesn't matter. The total number of grams you are eating isn't even that high (which relates to your calories being too low).

What matters is:

(1) total calories (for some people eating more carbs makes them more likely to have trouble sticking to their calorie goal or hungrier, but it that's not you, don't worry about it)

(2) getting enough fat and protein (and here is your possible problem -- someone eating lots of calories has room to devote a high percentage to carbs, but at under 1000, which is too low in general, over 70 percent carbs likely means you aren't getting enough of the others)

(3) getting enough nutrition (and contrary to the opinion of some, carbs can be among the most nutritious foods, just depends on the particular variety of carbs you eat)
  • chrisohnesorge
    chrisohnesorge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If anyone else is like me, I have type 2 diabetes so Carbs are bad for me as they turn to sugar and then plant themselves around my waist. I also eat 180 g of carbs a day in 3 45 g meals and 3 15g snacks by Doctors instruction and since i changed to this way of eating i am full i have more energy than i know what to ddo with and i lost 16lbs in 2 weeks
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.