are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    5 pages and nearly 24 hours, and OP hasn't clarified about the overall calorie (for the day? or just up until point of posting?) I'm curious about that.

As far as carbs, 70% plus seems high, even for me (a carb-lover) but there are people who do fine on 80/10/10 (C/F/P). So, if it works for you, there's nothing wrong with it. I would suggest to make sure you're getting all your nutrients, so make sure a lot of those sources of carbs are fruits, vegetables, grains, etc (rather than sweets and candy). Nothing wrong with a few sweets/candies but you don't want that to be the majority of your calorie intake. :wink: [disclaimer: I need to work on this sometimes, myself, so I'm not trying to be preachy! ]
  • Justin_SD
    Justin_SD Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's wrong because inanimate objects don't possess moral characteristics and they certainly don't have agency or intent.
    Neither does the Ebola virus... but it is still bad for you...

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Justin_SD wrote: »
    It's wrong because inanimate objects don't possess moral characteristics and they certainly don't have agency or intent.
    Neither does the Ebola virus... but it is still bad for you...
    Being bad for you is not the same as being evil, though, is it?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Gina2xoxo wrote: »
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you.
    Can you tell me how the 0% fat Greek yogurt I eat is not good for me? Or the Optimum Nutrition protein powder I often put in it?

I said the opposite; Greek yogurt is much better. Read the labels and check the ingredients--too many ingredients I would nix it and keep looking. I don't know what is in Optimum protein powder. Again, if I wanted to add protein powder to my diet I would look for one with the least added ingredients. Any added aspartame I would nix that food. If either of them had added fructose I would nix them. That is me. Do what you want.

What makes greek yogurt less processed than regular yogurt? You aren't going to get either directly from a teet.

Remember that I said plain greek yogurt--greek yogurt is strained more to get remove more of the whey, lactose, and sugar. It can have double the protein and 1/2 the sugar (read the label).

I didn't want it to be true but I looked at the labels and I have found greek yogurt to be much better.

So Greek yogurt is actually more processed than regular yogurt. Doesn't this undercut the point you're attempting to make?
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options

[/quote]

That's not the question though.

The question is how in the world do you define greek yogurt (or any yogurt for that matter) "unprocessed".[/quote]

When did I say greek yogurt is unprocessed?? I said to check the ingredients. Don't get any with aspartame or added fructose. To get it plain and mix it yourself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

When did I say greek yogurt is unprocessed?? I said to check the ingredients. Don't get any with aspartame or added fructose. To get it plain and mix it yourself.
    You said processed food was bad for me. Greek yogurt is processed food. Therefore, per your logic, Greek yogurt is bad for me.

I asked you to explain why it is bad for me.
  • janejellyroll
    edited October 2015
    Options

This was you up-thread: "Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you."

If Greek yogurt is processed and processed foods aren't good for you, shouldn't we avoid Greek yogurt? But why -- how will it harm us?
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you.
    Can you tell me how the 0% fat Greek yogurt I eat is not good for me? Or the Optimum Nutrition protein powder I often put in it?

I said the opposite; Greek yogurt is much better. Read the labels and check the ingredients--too many ingredients I would nix it and keep looking. I don't know what is in Optimum protein powder. Again, if I wanted to add protein powder to my diet I would look for one with the least added ingredients. Any added aspartame I would nix that food. If either of them had added fructose I would nix them. That is me. Do what you want.

What makes greek yogurt less processed than regular yogurt? You aren't going to get either directly from a teet.

Remember that I said plain greek yogurt--greek yogurt is strained more to get remove more of the whey, lactose, and sugar. It can have double the protein and 1/2 the sugar (read the label).

I didn't want it to be true but I looked at the labels and I have found greek yogurt to be much better.

So Greek yogurt is actually more processed than regular yogurt. Doesn't this undercut the point you're attempting to make?

You know what--eat it--knock yourself out. I don't care. Greek yogurt is better than regular. Greek yogurt had more protein and less sugar. Don't get flavored.

I do not eat processed foods-including yogurt. That is a choice I have made for myself. For those not wanting to go that far is it better to read the ingredients and make a choice. People think flavored yogurt is healthy. I do not.

• janejellyroll
    Options

You know what--eat it--knock yourself out. I don't care. Greek yogurt is better than regular. Greek yogurt had more protein and less sugar. Don't get flavored.

I do not eat processed foods-including yogurt. That is a choice I have made for myself. For those not wanting to go that far is it better to read the ingredients and make a choice. People think flavored yogurt is healthy. I do not.

I don't eat dairy yogurt at all -- I'm vegan. I'm curious to know what the foundation for your statement is though. You made a statement about processed foods being bad and then recommended a MORE processed form of yogurt. I'm having trouble understanding why.

I'm not sure why you would avoid food that has any form of processing, but that's your choice. But you've gone beyond an individual choice and you are making recommendations to others. It's okay for people to inquire about the foundation for your recommendations. Why does processing make a food bad?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

I'm guilty. I definitely see carbs as evil after all the problems they have caused me. I can't help but feel that way. :|

I do recognize carbs aren't that way for many though.

But tell me, what's so wrong with thinking carbs are evil if they cause lots of problems for you?

If your body doesn't react well to carbs -- or peanuts, or strawberries, or shellfish -- then you should take that into account. There's a fundamental difference between "carbs are evil" and "carbs don't work well for me."

Yes I understand that this is not everyone's experience with carbs. So I don't tell people they have to watch their carbs if they don't have issues with them. And I understand that carbs are not real living things and don't really possess characteristics such as being evil. However, I don't think it's a big deal to say carbs are evil. People know that carbs aren't alive. I hope no one takes that statement literally. As long as you give the caveat that carbs aren't bad for everyone, I just don't see the problem.

I hear people say this exercise is a beast or a particular piece of workout equipment is a monster...I don't then believe the exercise or equipment is alive. It's just an expression.

Ha! Great answer.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

Sure, but this is why all the generalizing about "carbs" being bad for people drives me crazy.

Most of the high carb foods that are high cal/low nutrient and overeaten commonly have lots of fat too, although there are exceptions. So the focus on carbs being the problem is so tiresome.

Sure, and I'd like folks to be more precise as well (about "good carbs"), but I don't see that happening any time soon. Folks LIKE to argue and be obtuse.

I don't see people as being imprecise. I see a basic disagreement. Some people (not you, I assume), are saying that carbs in general (including those with lots of micronutrients) are bad for them and bad in general (or risky) for some high percentage of the population.

I'm with those who say that most people get the majority of their micros from carbs (or should!) and that eating more plant foods is probably better for health overall.

Edit: I also think of fiber as a carb, although I recognize it may not be labeled as such in other countries.

To me that's imprecision on both parts. Some have a mistaken belief that all carbs (including veggies) are bad, because others have been imprecise. But then other folks come on these threads and state that ALL carbs are great and wonderful because (for example) they help you meet your macros. Like it's hard to get enough carbs.

Obtuse and imprecise. On both sides.

I think of fiber as a carb as well.

I'd be happy if we stopped talking about carbs altogether. Lumping doritos and broccoli together in discourse doesn't often lead to a useful conversation here.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options

To me that's imprecision on both parts. Some have a mistaken belief that all carbs (including veggies) are bad, because others have been imprecise. But then other folks come on these threads and state that ALL carbs are great and wonderful because (for example) they help you meet your macros. Like it's hard to get enough carbs.

Obtuse and imprecise. On both sides.

I think of fiber as a carb as well.

I'd be happy if we stopped talking about carbs altogether. Lumping doritos and broccoli together in discourse doesn't often lead to a useful conversation here.

I totally agree. There is a search function and this argument has been beaten to death until not even powdered bones of the horse is left.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

Sure, but this is why all the generalizing about "carbs" being bad for people drives me crazy.

Most of the high carb foods that are high cal/low nutrient and overeaten commonly have lots of fat too, although there are exceptions. So the focus on carbs being the problem is so tiresome.

Sure, and I'd like folks to be more precise as well (about "good carbs"), but I don't see that happening any time soon. Folks LIKE to argue and be obtuse.

I don't see people as being imprecise. I see a basic disagreement. Some people (not you, I assume), are saying that carbs in general (including those with lots of micronutrients) are bad for them and bad in general (or risky) for some high percentage of the population.

I'm with those who say that most people get the majority of their micros from carbs (or should!) and that eating more plant foods is probably better for health overall.

Edit: I also think of fiber as a carb, although I recognize it may not be labeled as such in other countries.

I don't see anyone suggesting that it's always great to eat all carbs, no matter the context, because macros. The argument I see is against the idea that one can generalize and say that it's always a poor choice or unhealthy to eat a lower nutrient carb (although it's usually a carb/fat), without considering stuff like one's activity level or the overall context of one's diet. For example, 80-10-10 would be dumb for me, but for a hardcore endurance athlete it might make sense (and include plenty of protein, since overall calories are higher). And (to focus in on carbs specifically) if you have a high calorie need a lot more grains and starches and such are going to be needed (and faster digesting ones might even be better from time to time for a sports use--I've even used Clif Shots during a tri and don't think that was an unhealthy choice, although I don't consume them as part of my normal diet.

Agree (which doesn't mean that Doritos can't be included in an overall healthy diet, although they aren't my thing). Foods are different. But not simply because they are high carb or not.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I limit carbs now because I find it keeps me from getting hungry. Carbs for me lead to binging. A whole loaf of bread, a whole package of oreo's a box of mac n cheese all those things have really happened not that long ago and was one of the reasons I made the change. It is just easier for me but everyone is different.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I limit carbs now because I find it keeps me from getting hungry. Carbs for me lead to binging. A whole loaf of bread, a whole package of oreo's a box of mac n cheese all those things have really happened not that long ago and was one of the reasons I made the change. It is just easier for me but everyone is different.

Right, so the fact that you eat a whole pack of Oreo's is the fault of the macronutriant carbohydrate?

I can't imagine there would be another reason.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Double-Stuff Oreos=54% carbs, 43% fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Right, so the fact that you eat a whole pack of Oreo's is the fault of the macronutriant carbohydrate?

I can't imagine there would be another reason.

I think she means that once she starts on a carb fest it's hard to stop. No, it's not directly the fault of the oreos.. For some people eating carbs make them crave more carbs. It could be willpower issues, or it could just be losing weight and/or staying compliant is easier when they limit carbs.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Same here. I have to somewhat limit my carbs (especially "white" carbs) for the same reason--to keep me from getting hungry later on and binge-eating on stuff like bread, crackers, cookies, noodles & such where I'd end up eating the whole box or package of the stuff & go looking for more. If I start with 1 cookie or Quest Protein Bar, in a few minutes I'll be heading back for another cookie or Quest Protein Bar, and another, and another until I've finished off the whole box! Like with you, it's just easier for me to avoid those types of foods altogether rather than trying to practice moderation which inevitably fails every time I tried.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Double-Stuff Oreos=54% carbs, 43% fat.

I wonder though... if you're at olive garden and there's those "bread" sticks that people adore, and a bunch of pads of butter, which one will you gorge on while waiting for the meal...

Yes, clearly many of the hyper palatable foods have both carbs and fats in roughly equal quantities. And many do not (popular breakfast "cereal" being a good example). I don't see a lot of people on here crying because they can't stop eating fat. Not many folks feel "addicted" [sic] to fat.
    And that's not entirely the media's fault. To an extent, sure.

But meanwhile, no one's ever going to change their minds on this topic, it's clear.

deadhorse.jpg