are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    A. Eat more than 1,000 calories. 1200 for women and 1500 for men is the guideline that really shouldn't be messed with except with a physician's care, and even then, be hesistant of the physician
    B. Yes, carbs are teribble. I once lent them $5 dollars and now they always tell me, "Oh, I'll that back to you next Tuesday." I know on Tuesday, I'll still be short $5 dollars. Lousy, lying carbs.

Haha!! I know a few "carbs" like that!
  • machjas
    machjas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is it true that pasta just gets broken down into sugar?
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I believe keeping track of my carbs and fats. are important. I loeer them to 1/2 daily every 4 to 6 days a week and maintain my protein. I bust loose on the seventh day then repeat.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

Absolutely not.. Carbs are not the enemy. I do think you need a better balance of macros than this but if you are trying to lose weight you can do it by eating anything, it's about being in a calorie deficit. You might not be healthy but you can be skinny.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hate typing while driving. Lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    machjas wrote: »

If by "sugar" you mean glucose in the blood then yes, at least some of it will. That's what feeds our bodies.

There are carbs that are not absorbed in the gut though, and those are not converted to glucose. They are expelled as waste.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Carbs are very important because most of the natural foods with carbs have most of your micronutrition.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    machjas wrote: »

No it doesn't. They are both carbs, one complex and one simple. The body breaks them down differently but ultimately to glucose. There are other nutrients in food (vitamins and minerals) to think about. I wouldn't just eat sugar for all my carbs ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I try to live in a state of nutritional ketosis to help manage my pain. Keeping my under 50 grams daily is required in my case to manage my pain. When my pain is well managed by my diet then my IBS is gone and my weight is well managed. At my age preventing diabetes and cataracts is another objective that I have so I want to keep my carbs <50 grams a day for that reason too. Carbs, protein and fats are not evil because they can not get into our bodies by themselves. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Carbs are very important because most of the natural foods with carbs have most of your micronutrition.

Citation for this? Most of your micro nutrition?

I eat tons of plants, but would like to see where the "most" comes from.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Where do you think most would come from? Meat? I have heard of a small short term study where people lived off meat only, but they had to eat some of it raw to get adequate nutrition.

But it seems like most, though certainly not all, would come from vegetables and fruits for the average person.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

That's not the carbs, it's the food those carbs are in.

Fiber is a carb. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find a dietician or nutrition scientist that would not agree they are better for us than most other carbs.

(disclaimer: "us" refers to the general public and not to someone that is starving or malnourished)
    You might want to add a disclaimer against the example of people eating 200g+ of fiber. At some point there's going to be an issue.
  • senecarr
    Options

Can you list a non-plant source that cooked (to eliminate the let's eat raw meat for vitamin C argument) is a significant source of Vitamin A, C, D, or E without fortification (to eliminate well milk had vitamin D - that's put there industrially)?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Where do you think most would come from? Meat? I have heard of a small short term study where people lived off meat only, but they had to eat some of it raw to get adequate nutrition.

But it seems like most, though certainly not all, would come from vegetables and fruits for the average person.

Not to mention grains and beans.
  • lucylove73
    lucylove73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The OP posted at around 3 in the afternoon, so I presume the low calorie intake referred to what he or she had eaten so far that day, not necessarily the intake for the whole day? Or at least that's how I read it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Not to mention grains and beans.

I consider beans a vegetable. And yeah, grains definitely. Especially since the average person probably eats a lot of fortified grain products.
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you. Adding fructose to food has caused damage to the American population. I believe GMO's are not being digested as intended and should be avoided. I don't eat processed protein or processed carbs. Check the ingredients on your "healthy" yogurt and tell me you feel comfortable eating it. Compare that to plain greek yogurt. If you can process dairy consider dropping flavored yogurt and mix your own starting with greek.

If you are talking about whole unprocessed carbs, I agree with you. Have it, and enjoy it, if you're lucky enough that your body can handle it. I am somewhat lucky but I have to watch my carbs more than I would like to.

If you are eating whole unprocessed foods you will be much better off no matter what your macros end up being. Eat clean.

I also think we need to avoid aspartame. But, that isn't the OP's question.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

Fiber is a carb. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find a dietician or nutrition scientist that would not agree they are better for us than most other carbs.

(disclaimer: "us" refers to the general public and not to someone that is starving or malnourished)
    You might want to add a disclaimer against the example of people eating 200g+ of fiber. At some point there's going to be an issue.

At some point there will be an issue with eating too much of anything. If someone doesn't know that they are probably beyond the help a simple disclaimer can provide.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Gina2xoxo wrote: »
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you.
    Can you tell me how the 0% fat Greek yogurt I eat is not good for me? Or the Optimum Nutrition protein powder I often put in it?

• senecarr
    Options

At some point there will be an issue with eating too much of anything. If someone doesn't know that they are probably beyond the help a simple disclaimer can provide.

Well I'm not hiring you to write my legal disclaimers.