are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Carbs are not inherently bad, although if you're diabetic or prediabetic, you probably want to reduce them because your body has problems responding properly to insulin.

For me, I reduce (not eliminate) sugary carbs because they aren't very filling - I could eat a slice of pie and be hungry in 30 minutes, or I could eat the same calories in lean meat and be full for hours. So in a way, lower carb has a tendency to be easier.

You need at least some protein and fat, however, particularly protein - it's absolutely required for your body to live. Protein deficiency won't kill you right away, but it will accelerate the muscle loss that often accompanies dieting (as your body scavenges your muscles for both calories and amino acids).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    The bad carbs makes me feel like poop.

There are no "bad carbs".

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    my favorite foods are made of processessed and high GI carbs... :D
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

Not everybody hates carbs. I don't and am certain I am not the only one. Just like you I watch what type of carbs I eat and that's it. Maybe because I have eaten complex carbs ( about 70% Mediterranean diet, which also includes Mexican food in the true Mexican sense and not Tex-Mex food and the rest South-East Asian food ) all my life and avoided simple ones.
    I have no allergies, no digestive problems...no nothing and at my age I am very happy about that, because I still can enjoy all the foods I like. I eat about carbs 150gr a day and on occasion go a bit over, because that's the way my macros work out. I don't make an effort control my carb intake, because I often am also under and things even out.
    I also understand that people who have health problems related to carbs need to be careful to various degrees. Who I don't understand are those who avoid carbs, gluten and other foods just because they think they can lose weight faster without them and because it's the latest " scientifically " proven fashion in a long line of quick weight loss diets.

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I think you should be more concerned about how many calories you are eating than what kinds of carbs you are consuming.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I can say eating that few calories for an extended period is not worth it.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat mainly protein, some days a lot of fiber, some days almost exclusively carbs. But every day I pay attention to calories. Just a pinch away from 70 pounds and no worse for the wear.

One of the greatest thing about this whole CICO thing for me is that I can eat whatever I want on any given day, as long as I stick to my calorie goal.

And for a really long time I thought IIFYM meant "If it fits in your mouth." I'm serious!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Carbs are delightful, toasted, buttered. Might you finish your day with a handful of nuts?
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    The bad carbs makes me feel like poop.

There are no "bad carbs".

Yeah the ones that make me feel like poop I consider bad carbs.

Lol!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Yup, those would be the ones that are bad for you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Funny. The people who tend to bring up the fact that carbs are not evil, that carbs are not the devil, and talk about the carb hating tend not to be the people who limit them. Comes off a bit defensive.

For about half of the population who has some form of insulin resistance (diabetes, prediabetes, NAFLD, PCOS, dementia) eating 72% of their diet in carbs (glucose) is indeed a bad thing for them. I am sure most of us would love to be able to eat unlimited carbs but those years are gone. Did eating too any carbs contribute to health problems and weight gain? Possibly. I do know that if I knew then what I know now, I would have cut back carbs with the hope of avoiding present health issues.

Eating lots of carbs may work for you. If your family has issues with IR, I would reconsider it though.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

I'm guilty. I definitely see carbs as evil after all the problems they have caused me. I can't help but feel that way. :|

I do recognize carbs aren't that way for many though.

But tell me, what's so wrong with thinking carbs are evil if they cause lots of problems for you?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Funny. The people who tend to bring up the fact that carbs are not evil, that carbs are not the devil, and talk about the carb hating tend not to be the people who limit them. Comes off a bit defensive.

For about half of the population who has some form of insulin resistance (diabetes, prediabetes, NAFLD, PCOS, dementia) eating 72% of their diet in carbs (glucose) is indeed a bad thing for them. I am sure most of us would love to be able to eat unlimited carbs but those years are gone. Did eating too any carbs contribute to health problems and weight gain? Possibly. I do know that if I knew then what I know now, I would have cut back carbs with the hope of avoiding present health issues.

Eating lots of carbs may work for you. If your family has issues with IR, I would reconsider it though.

Saying carbs are evil is supposed to be a counterpoint to those that insist a low carb diet is the only proper way to lose weight. No foods are evil. Some people have medical issues with some foods, be it allergies or intolerance or what have you, but that doesn't make those foods evil. Everyone is different, so not every diet will work for everyone. I'm also trying to point out that you have to make changes to your diet that you're comfortable keeping for the rest of your life. I probably could lose weight on a low carb diet, but I would be miserable and backslide quickly. Some people are happy to make that change, and that's good for them. But you don't HAVE to do low carb to lose weight.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »

I'm guilty. I definitely see carbs as evil after all the problems they have caused me. I can't help but feel that way. :|

I do recognize carbs aren't that way for many though.

But tell me, what's so wrong with thinking carbs are evil if they cause lots of problems for you?

It may cause a lot of problems for you but it doesn't mean it's universally bad for everyone else.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Carbs are delicious.

Please stop starving yourself.

+1