are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Why... are you eating less than 1000 calories!?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

The more important question.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    emhunter wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

I'm guilty. I definitely see carbs as evil after all the problems they have caused me. I can't help but feel that way. :|

I do recognize carbs aren't that way for many though.

But tell me, what's so wrong with thinking carbs are evil if they cause lots of problems for you?
    It's wrong because inanimate objects don't possess moral characteristics and they certainly don't have agency or intent.

If your body doesn't react well to carbs -- or peanuts, or strawberries, or shellfish -- then you should take that into account. There's a fundamental difference between "carbs are evil" and "carbs don't work well for me."

Yes I understand that this is not everyone's experience with carbs. So I don't tell people they have to watch their carbs if they don't have issues with them. And I understand that carbs are not real living things and don't really possess characteristics such as being evil. However, I don't think it's a big deal to say carbs are evil. People know that carbs aren't alive. I hope no one takes that statement literally. As long as you give the caveat that carbs aren't bad for everyone, I just don't see the problem.

I hear people say this exercise is a beast or a particular piece of workout equipment is a monster...I don't then believe the exercise or equipment is alive. It's just an expression.

The problem with this good food bad food talk is that people actually believe it, that is why its not a good idea. Yes i understand that people have medical issues and need to limit it but still that does make the food evil. You see people post oh i ate a slice of pizza, what shall i do now? DO i have to give up bread, pasta, rice to lose weight? No these things are not necessary and it just helps to complicate peoples journeys. The eat the bread then think they have failed, might as well give up.

p,s OP is that your total calories for the day or have you got more to go?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I should read better.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down.

The problem here isn't your carb intake as you don't seem to have any issues which will impact on adherence - the ability to stick to your preferred diet.

The issue is whether your diet is capable of delivering sufficient energy and nutrients (both macro and micro) which I feel is unlikely given your current intake. I would strongly recommend you take a moment to consider if your current set up is actually suitable. If you would like some assistance in this regard please feel free to ask.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    A. Eat more than 1,000 calories. 1200 for women and 1500 for men is the guideline that really shouldn't be messed with except with a physician's care, and even then, be hesistant of the physician
    B. Yes, carbs are teribble. I once lent them $5 dollars and now they always tell me, "Oh, I'll that back to you next Tuesday." I know on Tuesday, I'll still be short $5 dollars. Lousy, lying carbs.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Wow. This pretty much degenerated into a petty debate. Personally, I follow a moderately low carb diet. It works for me. Anyone with a problem with the way I eat other than me or my doctor can pretty much go crawl back under their bridge. I've found what works for me.

OP, if you can make a high carb diet work for you in a sustainable manner then have at it. It's all about finding a balance that allows you to both meet and maintain your personal goals.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    stevwil41 wrote: »
    Wow. This pretty much degenerated into a petty debate. Personally, I follow a moderately low carb diet. It works for me. Anyone with a problem with the way I eat other than me or my doctor can pretty much go crawl back under their bridge. I've found what works for me.

OP, if you can make a high carb diet work for you in a sustainable manner then have at it. It's all about finding a balance that allows you to both meet and maintain your personal goals.

why would anyone have a problem with what you eat?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Isnt that what pretty much everyone here said?

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo is the reason you don't like when people say carbs are evil because they don't clarify that it's a problem for them-not everyone?

Because in posts I say carbs are the devil, then go on to say but that's not the case for many or most people. That seems harmless. Or is that still what bothers you? If so, can you tell me why?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

That's not the carbs, it's the food those carbs are in.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I know. It is whacky how there are people in this thread threatening to break into people's house and forcibly change their diet, force-feeding them carbs. Why do people say such weird stuff on the internet?
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm a carb-lover. Sometimes I will let a few go in order to get enough protein. I usually don't have any trouble getting enough fat. ;) ...but carbs, especially the ones from whole grains, dairy, and fruit and vegetables help me have energy and ultimately keep me moving toward my goal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

You're not going to gain weight eating 988 calories a day, full stop.

This ^^

Though I realize you don't say if that's all you will eat today. IMO the problem with 72% carbs is not too many carbs, it's too little protein and fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I used to see them as evil but that was when I ate them in large amounts and had no control. Now I try and include them in my diet but in smaller portions, to stay within my calorie goal. We now have a good relationship
    Well said.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

I know. It is whacky how there are people in this thread threatening to break into people's house and forcibly change their diet, force-feeding them carbs. Why do people say such weird stuff on the internet?

:)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

Fiber is a carb. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find a dietician or nutrition scientist that would not agree they are better for us than most other carbs.

(disclaimer: "us" refers to the general public and not to someone that is starving or malnourished)
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Nah. It really didn't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

NVM
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Who was telling you to eat differently?