are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nope. For me, I notice I tend to feel more fuzzy headed when a lot of my calories come from carbs, though. I don't/won't cut them out entirely cause food is yummy. Calories are calories! You'll lose if you stay under your calorie allotment each day -- regardless if they're carbs, proteins, fats, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Double-Stuff Oreos=54% carbs, 43% fat.

I wonder though... if you're at olive garden and there's those "bread" sticks that people adore, and a bunch of pads of butter, which one will you gorge on while waiting for the meal...

Most people put butter or olive oil on bread. I suspect Olive Garden bread (based on memories from the '90s) has fat in it, too. The only bread I will compulsively eat (naan) does.

Plain fat isn't appealing, but neither is plain sugar.
    Yes, clearly many of the hyper palatable foods have both carbs and fats in roughly equal quantities. And many do not (popular breakfast "cereal" being a good example). I don't see a lot of people on here crying because they can't stop eating fat. Not many folks feel "addicted" [sic] to fat.

I bet that would be different in the '80s. Pop dieting lore constantly tells people they are "addicted" to sugar. Yet Michael Moss' Sugar Fat Salt suggests that a huge reason for the increase in obesity since the '80s is the tripling of cheese consumption (fat). Granted, we've increased calories from many things.

I find plain starches entirely uninteresting, and same with overly sugary things, so that might be biasing me. I think plain bread or pasta is boring, cold cereal (sugary or no) is unpleasant, oatmeal I prefer sweetened only with berries, sugary coffee = ugh, etc. But if I have cheese I have to exercise will power to not overeat and when I didn't I would regularly eat a large chunk of good cheese.

And if I didn't work on it I'd eat hyperpalatable foods (i.e., sweets or salty, fatty, starchy things like fries, as well as basically any delicious restaurant thing, like curries from an Indian restaurant) beyond what I should (and sometimes for emotional reasons). To blame carbs for this seems bizarre.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    I limit carbs now because I find it keeps me from getting hungry. Carbs for me lead to binging. A whole loaf of bread, a whole package of oreo's a box of mac n cheese all those things have really happened not that long ago and was one of the reasons I made the change. It is just easier for me but everyone is different.

Right, so the fact that you eat a whole pack of Oreo's is the fault of the macronutriant carbohydrate?

I can't imagine there would be another reason.

I think she means that once she starts on a carb fest it's hard to stop. No, it's not directly the fault of the oreos.. For some people eating carbs make them crave more carbs. It could be willpower issues, or it could just be losing weight and/or staying compliant is easier when they limit carbs.

Thank you. Yes it isn't the fault of the food. It is always my fault and my lack of willpower. It is just harder for me with carbs.
    I had a terrible problem with white breads and pastas. If I eat any, I want more. And more and more. Even if I eat more, it doesn't help. I just want MORE. It's a craving. I can and did resist eating them, but the cravings were terrible.

I swapped them out for whole grains and it made all the difference in the world! I don't know if it would help you, but thought I'd mention it. Food for thought. :)

Annnnd here I am agreeing with Kalikel again. 150 grams of cooked wholemeal pasta goes a long way. If it were white pasta - I could eat 500 no troubles.

Not disagreeing with you all -- your reaction is your reaction -- but I feel the same after eating whole grain and white pasta (the sauce makes a difference), and 40 or so grams uncooked is fine for both (don't know what that is cooked). The only reason I ever overate pasta was misjudging portion sizes and feeling compelled to eat what was on my plate (or high fat restaurant pasta), and the idea of eating plain pasta seems weird to me (and I'm uninterested in bread enough to never have any in the house--I like whole wheat better than white, though).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    What bugs me is when people make blanket statements about low carb or about carbs altogether without any caveats. Carbs are unhealthy. Carbs make everyone crave more carbs. Carbs will make you store more fat. All said as some kind of universal fact. I recognize that some people prefer it, some people have medical conditions that make it the best way to eat, however...it doesn't make it a universal truth.

Yes, this. I think what works for weight loss or to maintain a healthy diet is individual. If someone tells me they are low carb or dropped bread or low fat or whatever I say "cool, let me know how it works."

But if someone says "carbs are bad" or "lower carbs to lose weight" or "50% carbs are too much for humans" or "carbs are carbs" or "carbs are addictive" or, yes, "carbs are the devil," or many other such things I feel compelled to respond. So. you know (well not you, the general you), if you don't like the argument, don't make false claims. I totally agree keto can be a good lifestyle for some (well, assuming they don't cut out vegetables) and don't say otherwise.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I wonder though... if you're at olive garden and there's those "bread" sticks that people adore, and a bunch of pads of butter, which one will you gorge on while waiting for the meal...

Most people put butter or olive oil on bread. I suspect Olive Garden bread (based on memories from the '90s) has fat in it, too. The only bread I will compulsively eat (naan) does.

Yes, clearly many of the hyper palatable foods have both carbs and fats in roughly equal quantities. And many do not (popular breakfast "cereal" being a good example). I don't see a lot of people on here crying because they can't stop eating fat. Not many folks feel "addicted" [sic] to fat.

And if I didn't work on it I'd eat hyperpalatable foods (i.e., sweets or salty, fatty, starchy things like fries, as well as basically any delicious restaurant thing, like curries from an Indian restaurant) beyond what I should (and sometimes for emotional reasons). To blame carbs for this seems bizarre.

I wouldn't say it is bizarre. I'd say it is an individual thing. For me, it was sugar. Take out the fat and give me a soda or ju-jubes. I didn't crave the taste of potatoes but they were a gateway food for me that led to more sugary stuff.

Sometimes it IS the carbs.

Sometimes it is other foods. I can't binge on salty or fat foods. My body doesn't work that way. I love cheese, but I can't sit and eat it for hours like I could carbs. An individual thing.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I wouldn't say it is bizarre. I'd say it is an individual thing. For me, it was sugar. Take out the fat and give me a soda or ju-jubes. I didn't crave the taste of potatoes but they were a gateway food for me that led to more sugary stuff.

Sometimes it is other foods. I can't binge on salty or fat foods. My body doesn't work that way. I love cheese, but I can't sit and eat it for hours like I could carbs. An individual thing.

That is me as welll
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I bet that would be different in the '80s. Pop dieting lore constantly tells people they are "addicted" to sugar. Yet Michael Moss' Sugar Fat Salt suggests that a huge reason for the increase in obesity since the '80s is the tripling of cheese consumption (fat). Granted, we've increased calories from many things.

I find plain starches entirely uninteresting, and same with overly sugary things, so that might be biasing me. I think plain bread or pasta is boring, cold cereal (sugary or no) is unpleasant, oatmeal I prefer sweetened only with berries, sugary coffee = ugh, etc. But if I have cheese I have to exercise will power to not overeat and when I didn't I would regularly eat a large chunk of good cheese.

I feel you could go through and do this with all kinds of foods and cherry pick to make an example.

Like I would counter that if I was somewhere that offered a cheese plate (near pure fat) or offered a rice cakes, I and most people would hit up the cheese platter.

In fact, I think it is a rather contrived example to put even plain bread up against butter or butter up against almost anything. We have social conventions against eating pure butter. You'll find kids are far more likely to eat pure butter given the chance, at least part of that is they have not yet been indoctrinated with the cultural norm of "you do not eat pure butter, it is for putting on things."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yup, I could easily overeat on many primarily carb foods, but not so much on primarily fat foods. And then there's how my body feels after each...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Gina2xoxo wrote: »

That seems like a lot of rules.

I choose to eat a healthy, varied diet that is free of all those confines.

I eat flavored greek yogurt....happily. You can say I am not healthy, however I disagree and my doctor disagrees, so I am totally cool with my food choices.

I also eat Peanut Butter Snickers. I'm eating one right now. Something is not inherently unhealthy, it has to be seen in the grand scope of someone's diet.

A lot of rules? read the label, gasp.

You're right. Snickers are super healthy. Maybe if the OP had a snickers there wouldn't be a calorie deficit. This is about the original poster, right?? Oh, wait.

Read the label? Am I suppose to freak out if I can't pronounce something on the label? Because I was told that rule, but shoot isomalto-oligosaccharides aren't even a tongue twister.
    Also: 3025200-inline-i-1-all-natural-fruits.jpg

Are those all ok ingredients?

I CALL FOUL!! I defy you to find a blueberry or egg with that on the label.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yup, I could easily overeat on many primarily carb foods, but not so much on primarily fat foods. And then there's how my body feels after each...

What do you mean by "primarily fat foods"? Would nuts and fatty meats like baby back ribs and bacon qualify?
  • senecarr
    Options

I eat flavored greek yogurt....happily. You can say I am not healthy, however I disagree and my doctor disagrees, so I am totally cool with my food choices.

I also eat Peanut Butter Snickers. I'm eating one right now. Something is not inherently unhealthy, it has to be seen in the grand scope of someone's diet.

You're right. Snickers are super healthy. Maybe if the OP had a snickers there wouldn't be a calorie deficit. This is about the original poster, right?? Oh, wait.

Read the label? Am I suppose to freak out if I can't pronounce something on the label? Because I was told that rule, but shoot isomalto-oligosaccharides aren't even a tongue twister.

My eggs are fowl, not foul. And putting labels on them is really, really hard. I've cracked at least a dozen trying to print all those ingredients on them.

Isn't it interesting though. Why aren't the eggs and blueberries labeled? If they chemicals in them are safe, and they're proud of what they made, why don't they label those foods? Isn't it odd that they won't disclose how they contain dihydrogen monoxide like most processed / convenience / unclean food? Are they afraid we'll all find out DHMO is also the world's most common solvent and is even used to clean the toilets at McDonald's? You're right, it is most foul that they can hide this stuff from us.

Or maybe labels are a really poor heuristic for assessing the health effects of things. I've never felt unlabeled hemlock was healthier for me than an aspartame laden diet coke.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

My eggs are fowl, not foul. And putting labels on them is really, really hard. I've cracked at least a dozen trying to print all those ingredients on them.

Isn't it interesting though. Why aren't the eggs and blueberries labeled? If they chemicals in them are safe, and they're proud of what they made, why don't they label those foods? Isn't it odd that they won't disclose how they contain dihydrogen monoxide like most processed / convenience / unclean food? Are they afraid we'll all find out DHMO is also the world's most common solvent and is even used to clean the toilets at McDonald's? You're right, it is most foul that they can hide this stuff from us.

Or maybe labels are a really poor heuristic for assessing the health effects of things. I've never felt unlabeled hemlock was healthier for me than an aspartame laden diet coke.

I'm sure you know the answers to these questions, but I'll play. They do label them. The labels say "eggs" and "blueberries" because that's what is included. Ingredients labels on food do not provide the chemical make-up of food, it provides a list of ingredients. Blueberries are an ingredient, as are eggs. If water is an ingredient, it will be listed as "water". Hemlock is not food, so it doesn't get a label, other than perhaps "Danger - poison".
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Aside from super sugary, high cal foods that I stay away from, I don't enjoy carbs..I love proteins and especially fats when it comes to taste/satiety(not entirely sure that's a word)

But I *believe* CICO will work for most people, and that malnutrition isn't a big a threat as some people make it out to be so I sat do what's working for you and keeping you sane =)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

What do you mean by "primarily fat foods"? Would nuts and fatty meats like baby back ribs and bacon qualify?

I was thinking of bacon yes. I can over eat on nuts, but mainly because they are convenient and easy to just pop in my mouth without thinking. They ARE high calorie, so yes, I have to be careful. I don't "crave" nuts, though.
    And, if I eat myself silly with bacon, I don't often find myself wanting another fatty food soon after.
    If I eat a lot of sugary foods, I typically crave more sugary foods.
    Again, that's me. I just find it easier not to fight against my body so I just don't eat them.

As Lemur notes, many refined carb foods are also fatty foods (desserts and chips for example), many aren't such as Cap'n Crunch. If I eat a bowl of Cap'n crunch, I want more and I'm hungry. If I eat an avocado for breakfast, which I did today, I'm fine until lunch, and I'll find it easier to have a nutritious lunch.

Again, I'm only speaking for me: it's just easier to reach MY goals when I limit the heavily refined carbs in my diet.
  • senecarr
    Options

I'm sure you know the answers to these questions, but I'll play. They do label them. The labels say "eggs" and "blueberries" because that's what is included. Ingredients labels on food do not provide the chemical make-up of food, it provides a list of ingredients. Blueberries are an ingredient, as are eggs. If water is an ingredient, it will be listed as "water". Hemlock is not food, so it doesn't get a label, other than perhaps "Danger - poison".

So eggs, blueberries, and other things arrive ex-nihilo, they aren't made out of anything, they just exist as ingredients of themselves? The notion between what is an ingredient and what is a chemical is a bit arbitrary, and to say that by their own virtue an egg is an egg relies on a natural fallacy - that being found in that state without human interaction (ignoring modern food doesn't really happen without human intervention). I could just as easily say, the contents of my snickers bar is "1 snickers bar". That's the easiest ingredients list ever.

I kind of wish the original commenter was here though. I always enjoy finding out the new and dreadful ways aspartame is going to kill me, make me an addict, steal candy from babies, borrowing $5 bucks without repaying it, cause world hunger, cause world war, cause the zombie apocalypse, and make my word day 5 minutes longer.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    dangit...why didn't anyone tell me there was a carbs are bad thread started. Now I need to waste hours of my life catching up.

*Grabs popcorn*
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited October 2015
    Options

So eggs, blueberries, and other things arrive ex-nihilo, they aren't made out of anything, they just exist as ingredients of themselves? The notion between what is an ingredient and what is a chemical is a bit arbitrary, and to say that by their own virtue an egg is an egg relies on a natural fallacy - that being found in that state without human interaction (ignoring modern food doesn't really happen without human intervention). I could just as easily say, the contents of my snickers bar is "1 snickers bar". That's the easiest ingredients list ever.

I kind of wish the original commenter was here though. I always enjoy finding out the new and dreadful ways aspartame is going to kill me, make me an addict, steal candy from babies, borrowing $5 bucks without repaying it, cause world hunger, cause world war, cause the zombie apocalypse, and make my word day 5 minutes longer.

You are mixing subjects. If the subject is food ingredient labels, then what chemicals nature bonded to produce the produce ( :) ) doesn't matter. The end product that can be combined with other ingredients or packaged alone, is the ingredient. The post was about reading ingredients on a food label. You get a foul for trying to "move the goalpost".
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If ingredients are just ingredients, why all the motivation to figure out what's actually in aspartame or sucralose but not in other ingredients. That seems... odd. If it's fair game to consider all of the "stuff" that's included in aspartame, it seems like it would also be fair game to consider all the "stuff" that's in an apple or egg or blueberry? No? If not, why not?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I was thinking of bacon yes. I can over eat on nuts, but mainly because they are convenient and easy to just pop in my mouth without thinking. They ARE high calorie, so yes, I have to be careful. I don't "crave" nuts, though.
    And, if I eat myself silly with bacon, I don't often find myself wanting another fatty food soon after.
    If I eat a lot of sugary foods, I typically crave more sugary foods.
    Again, that's me. I just find it easier not to fight against my body so I just don't eat them.

As Lemur notes, many refined carb foods are also fatty foods (desserts and chips for example), many aren't such as Cap'n Crunch. If I eat a bowl of Cap'n crunch, I want more and I'm hungry. If I eat an avocado for breakfast, which I did today, I'm fine until lunch, and I'll find it easier to have a nutritious lunch.

Again, I'm only speaking for me: it's just easier to reach MY goals when I limit the heavily refined carbs in my diet.

Got ya. I could totally overeat on nuts, and if baby back ribs count, I could easily eat more than twice my TDEE at one meal.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    dangit...why didn't anyone tell me there was a carbs are bad thread started. Now I need to waste hours of my life catching up.

*Grabs popcorn*

Here you go. You can share mine. ^_^

giphy_zpsqfdnzthp.gif