are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If ingredients are just ingredients, why all the motivation to figure out what's actually in aspartame or sucralose but not in other ingredients. That seems... odd. If it's fair game to consider all of the "stuff" that's included in aspartame, it seems like it would also be fair game to consider all the "stuff" that's in an apple or egg or blueberry? No? If not, why not?

Ha! Fair question. I think it comes down to trust. Who do you trust more, the maker of eggs and blueberries o:) , or the maker of aspartame >:) ?

/preempts senecarr coming back with the maker of eggs also makes hemlock, etc./

However, Mother Nature does not have to answer to shareholders.

No, but mother nature is a different kind of mother that I can't repeat on these boards.
    Nature has absolutely no interest in your survival. Most of it is, if it has any ability to ascribe intent, dead set on seeing you dead.
    As much as I don't like the profit motive, I'll live with relying on people having an interest in having me alive to do repeat business over imbuing agency to a system of dynamic equilibria.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Gina2xoxo wrote: »

That seems like a lot of rules.

I choose to eat a healthy, varied diet that is free of all those confines.

I eat flavored greek yogurt....happily. You can say I am not healthy, however I disagree and my doctor disagrees, so I am totally cool with my food choices.

I also eat Peanut Butter Snickers. I'm eating one right now. Something is not inherently unhealthy, it has to be seen in the grand scope of someone's diet.

A lot of rules? read the label, gasp.

You're right. Snickers are super healthy. Maybe if the OP had a snickers there wouldn't be a calorie deficit. This is about the original poster, right?? Oh, wait.

Read the label? Am I suppose to freak out if I can't pronounce something on the label? Because I was told that rule, but shoot isomalto-oligosaccharides aren't even a tongue twister.
    Also: 3025200-inline-i-1-all-natural-fruits.jpg

Are those all ok ingredients?

I CALL FOUL!! I defy you to find a blueberry or egg with that on the label.

My eggs are fowl, not foul. And putting labels on them is really, really hard. I've cracked at least a dozen trying to print all those ingredients on them.

Isn't it interesting though. Why aren't the eggs and blueberries labeled? If they chemicals in them are safe, and they're proud of what they made, why don't they label those foods? Isn't it odd that they won't disclose how they contain dihydrogen monoxide like most processed / convenience / unclean food? Are they afraid we'll all find out DHMO is also the world's most common solvent and is even used to clean the toilets at McDonald's? You're right, it is most foul that they can hide this stuff from us.

Or maybe labels are a really poor heuristic for assessing the health effects of things. I've never felt unlabeled hemlock was healthier for me than an aspartame laden diet coke.

I'm sure you know the answers to these questions, but I'll play. They do label them. The labels say "eggs" and "blueberries" because that's what is included. Ingredients labels on food do not provide the chemical make-up of food, it provides a list of ingredients. Blueberries are an ingredient, as are eggs. If water is an ingredient, it will be listed as "water". Hemlock is not food, so it doesn't get a label, other than perhaps "Danger - poison".

So eggs, blueberries, and other things arrive ex-nihilo, they aren't made out of anything, they just exist as ingredients of themselves? The notion between what is an ingredient and what is a chemical is a bit arbitrary, and to say that by their own virtue an egg is an egg relies on a natural fallacy - that being found in that state without human interaction (ignoring modern food doesn't really happen without human intervention). I could just as easily say, the contents of my snickers bar is "1 snickers bar". That's the easiest ingredients list ever.

I kind of wish the original commenter was here though. I always enjoy finding out the new and dreadful ways aspartame is going to kill me, make me an addict, steal candy from babies, borrowing $5 bucks without repaying it, cause world hunger, cause world war, cause the zombie apocalypse, and make my word day 5 minutes longer.

You are mixing subjects. If the subject is food ingredient labels, then what chemicals nature bonded to produce the produce ( :) ) doesn't matter. The end product that can be combined with other ingredients or packaged alone, is the ingredient. The post was about reading ingredients on a food label. You get a foul for trying to "move the goalpost".
    The ingredients that make the ingredients don't matter? There's no chemical differences in various eggs? Well hell, you have some grass fed beef advocates to write to, because I've been assured again and again, beef isn't beef. Clearly the chemicals nature used are important to them.
    And I enjoy that your response to a call of natural fallacy is to double down with "what chemicals nature bonded to produce the produce ( :) ) doesn't matter".
    It matters mightily. I'd say most allergens have far more to do with the chemicals that foods make for themselves over anything people assemble.
    Heck, look at almonds or walnuts. Generally safe food, but even the ones people eat have cyanide, and particularly for walnuts, it is possible for them to produce enough cyanide in a natural state to be poisonous. I'd honestly find more value in having the relative level of cyanide in an almond or walnut over knowing how much aspartame is in my diet coke.

Well, that's a different type of label. Yes, many people will look for things like "organic" "antibiotic free" "steroid free" "grass fed" "pastured" "humanely raised" etc. But that will not be found in the ingredients label, so it's still a separate subject.

But it is arbitrary. Grass fed is desirable because it causes chemical changes. The composition, the "ingredients" of grass feed beef is different. There is a slight change in the amount of omega-3's in the fat.
    If anyone was selling lab made meat, with people doing the combining of fats and lean muscle would you expect there to be an ingredients list? Even if the result is to make something that exists in nature?

Hmm, would I expect there to be an ingredients list? I would want one, I think. I expect that they'd patent some fancy name that could be put on a label (similar to aspartame) to get around listing all the scary ingredients, though.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Double-Stuff Oreos=54% carbs, 43% fat.

I wonder though... if you're at olive garden and there's those "bread" sticks that people adore, and a bunch of pads of butter, which one will you gorge on while waiting for the meal...

Most people put butter or olive oil on bread. I suspect Olive Garden bread (based on memories from the '90s) has fat in it, too. The only bread I will compulsively eat (naan) does.

Plain fat isn't appealing, but neither is plain sugar.
    Yes, clearly many of the hyper palatable foods have both carbs and fats in roughly equal quantities. And many do not (popular breakfast "cereal" being a good example). I don't see a lot of people on here crying because they can't stop eating fat. Not many folks feel "addicted" [sic] to fat.

I bet that would be different in the '80s. Pop dieting lore constantly tells people they are "addicted" to sugar. Yet Michael Moss' Sugar Fat Salt suggests that a huge reason for the increase in obesity since the '80s is the tripling of cheese consumption (fat). Granted, we've increased calories from many things.

I find plain starches entirely uninteresting, and same with overly sugary things, so that might be biasing me. I think plain bread or pasta is boring, cold cereal (sugary or no) is unpleasant, oatmeal I prefer sweetened only with berries, sugary coffee = ugh, etc. But if I have cheese I have to exercise will power to not overeat and when I didn't I would regularly eat a large chunk of good cheese.

And if I didn't work on it I'd eat hyperpalatable foods (i.e., sweets or salty, fatty, starchy things like fries, as well as basically any delicious restaurant thing, like curries from an Indian restaurant) beyond what I should (and sometimes for emotional reasons). To blame carbs for this seems bizarre.
    I feel you could go through and do this with all kinds of foods and cherry pick to make an example.

Like I would counter that if I was somewhere that offered a cheese plate (near pure fat) or offered a rice cakes, I and most people would hit up the cheese platter.

In fact, I think it is a rather contrived example to put even plain bread up against butter or butter up against almost anything. We have social conventions against eating pure butter. You'll find kids are far more likely to eat pure butter given the chance, at least part of that is they have not yet been indoctrinated with the cultural norm of "you do not eat pure butter, it is for putting on things."

Not for me! I'd pick the rice cakes over the cheese plate any day--and I like cheese!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I wonder though... if you're at olive garden and there's those "bread" sticks that people adore, and a bunch of pads of butter, which one will you gorge on while waiting for the meal...

Most people put butter or olive oil on bread. I suspect Olive Garden bread (based on memories from the '90s) has fat in it, too. The only bread I will compulsively eat (naan) does.

Yes, clearly many of the hyper palatable foods have both carbs and fats in roughly equal quantities. And many do not (popular breakfast "cereal" being a good example). I don't see a lot of people on here crying because they can't stop eating fat. Not many folks feel "addicted" [sic] to fat.

And if I didn't work on it I'd eat hyperpalatable foods (i.e., sweets or salty, fatty, starchy things like fries, as well as basically any delicious restaurant thing, like curries from an Indian restaurant) beyond what I should (and sometimes for emotional reasons). To blame carbs for this seems bizarre.

I wouldn't say it is bizarre. I'd say it is an individual thing. For me, it was sugar. Take out the fat and give me a soda or ju-jubes. I didn't crave the taste of potatoes but they were a gateway food for me that led to more sugary stuff.

Sometimes it IS the carbs.

Sometimes it is other foods. I can't binge on salty or fat foods. My body doesn't work that way. I love cheese, but I can't sit and eat it for hours like I could carbs. An individual thing.

Yup, I could easily overeat on many primarily carb foods, but not so much on primarily fat foods. And then there's how my body feels after each...

What do you mean by "primarily fat foods"? Would nuts and fatty meats like baby back ribs and bacon qualify?

I was thinking of bacon yes. I can over eat on nuts, but mainly because they are convenient and easy to just pop in my mouth without thinking. They ARE high calorie, so yes, I have to be careful. I don't "crave" nuts, though.
    And, if I eat myself silly with bacon, I don't often find myself wanting another fatty food soon after.
    If I eat a lot of sugary foods, I typically crave more sugary foods.
    Again, that's me. I just find it easier not to fight against my body so I just don't eat them.

As Lemur notes, many refined carb foods are also fatty foods (desserts and chips for example), many aren't such as Cap'n Crunch. If I eat a bowl of Cap'n crunch, I want more and I'm hungry. If I eat an avocado for breakfast, which I did today, I'm fine until lunch, and I'll find it easier to have a nutritious lunch.

Again, I'm only speaking for me: it's just easier to reach MY goals when I limit the heavily refined carbs in my diet.

Got ya. I could totally overeat on nuts, and if baby back ribs count, I could easily eat more than twice my TDEE at one meal.
    Sure. But would that rack of ribs lead to cravings? For me it wouldn't. It would be damned tasty though!

I made ribs that were so delicious I was yearning for more an hour after I was done.
  • senecarr
    Options

I eat flavored greek yogurt....happily. You can say I am not healthy, however I disagree and my doctor disagrees, so I am totally cool with my food choices.

I also eat Peanut Butter Snickers. I'm eating one right now. Something is not inherently unhealthy, it has to be seen in the grand scope of someone's diet.

You're right. Snickers are super healthy. Maybe if the OP had a snickers there wouldn't be a calorie deficit. This is about the original poster, right?? Oh, wait.

Read the label? Am I suppose to freak out if I can't pronounce something on the label? Because I was told that rule, but shoot isomalto-oligosaccharides aren't even a tongue twister.

My eggs are fowl, not foul. And putting labels on them is really, really hard. I've cracked at least a dozen trying to print all those ingredients on them.

Isn't it interesting though. Why aren't the eggs and blueberries labeled? If they chemicals in them are safe, and they're proud of what they made, why don't they label those foods? Isn't it odd that they won't disclose how they contain dihydrogen monoxide like most processed / convenience / unclean food? Are they afraid we'll all find out DHMO is also the world's most common solvent and is even used to clean the toilets at McDonald's? You're right, it is most foul that they can hide this stuff from us.

Or maybe labels are a really poor heuristic for assessing the health effects of things. I've never felt unlabeled hemlock was healthier for me than an aspartame laden diet coke.

I'm sure you know the answers to these questions, but I'll play. They do label them. The labels say "eggs" and "blueberries" because that's what is included. Ingredients labels on food do not provide the chemical make-up of food, it provides a list of ingredients. Blueberries are an ingredient, as are eggs. If water is an ingredient, it will be listed as "water". Hemlock is not food, so it doesn't get a label, other than perhaps "Danger - poison".

So eggs, blueberries, and other things arrive ex-nihilo, they aren't made out of anything, they just exist as ingredients of themselves? The notion between what is an ingredient and what is a chemical is a bit arbitrary, and to say that by their own virtue an egg is an egg relies on a natural fallacy - that being found in that state without human interaction (ignoring modern food doesn't really happen without human intervention). I could just as easily say, the contents of my snickers bar is "1 snickers bar". That's the easiest ingredients list ever.

I kind of wish the original commenter was here though. I always enjoy finding out the new and dreadful ways aspartame is going to kill me, make me an addict, steal candy from babies, borrowing $5 bucks without repaying it, cause world hunger, cause world war, cause the zombie apocalypse, and make my word day 5 minutes longer.

You are mixing subjects. If the subject is food ingredient labels, then what chemicals nature bonded to produce the produce ( :) ) doesn't matter. The end product that can be combined with other ingredients or packaged alone, is the ingredient. The post was about reading ingredients on a food label. You get a foul for trying to "move the goalpost".
    The ingredients that make the ingredients don't matter? There's no chemical differences in various eggs? Well hell, you have some grass fed beef advocates to write to, because I've been assured again and again, beef isn't beef. Clearly the chemicals nature used are important to them.
    And I enjoy that your response to a call of natural fallacy is to double down with "what chemicals nature bonded to produce the produce ( :) ) doesn't matter".
    It matters mightily. I'd say most allergens have far more to do with the chemicals that foods make for themselves over anything people assemble.
    Heck, look at almonds or walnuts. Generally safe food, but even the ones people eat have cyanide, and particularly for walnuts, it is possible for them to produce enough cyanide in a natural state to be poisonous. I'd honestly find more value in having the relative level of cyanide in an almond or walnut over knowing how much aspartame is in my diet coke.

Well, that's a different type of label. Yes, many people will look for things like "organic" "antibiotic free" "steroid free" "grass fed" "pastured" "humanely raised" etc. But that will not be found in the ingredients label, so it's still a separate subject.

But it is arbitrary. Grass fed is desirable because it causes chemical changes. The composition, the "ingredients" of grass feed beef is different. There is a slight change in the amount of omega-3's in the fat.
    If anyone was selling lab made meat, with people doing the combining of fats and lean muscle would you expect there to be an ingredients list? Even if the result is to make something that exists in nature?

Hmm, would I expect there to be an ingredients list? I would want one, I think. I expect that they'd patent some fancy name that could be put on a label (similar to aspartame) to get around listing all the scary ingredients, though.
    So, if this is a trust issue, you trust bulls not to bull**** you more than you trust lab technicians not to when it comes to putting together muscle and fat?
  • senecarr
    Options

I wouldn't say it is bizarre. I'd say it is an individual thing. For me, it was sugar. Take out the fat and give me a soda or ju-jubes. I didn't crave the taste of potatoes but they were a gateway food for me that led to more sugary stuff.

Sometimes it is other foods. I can't binge on salty or fat foods. My body doesn't work that way. I love cheese, but I can't sit and eat it for hours like I could carbs. An individual thing.

Yup, I could easily overeat on many primarily carb foods, but not so much on primarily fat foods. And then there's how my body feels after each...

What do you mean by "primarily fat foods"? Would nuts and fatty meats like baby back ribs and bacon qualify?

I was thinking of bacon yes. I can over eat on nuts, but mainly because they are convenient and easy to just pop in my mouth without thinking. They ARE high calorie, so yes, I have to be careful. I don't "crave" nuts, though.
    And, if I eat myself silly with bacon, I don't often find myself wanting another fatty food soon after.
    Again, that's me. I just find it easier not to fight against my body so I just don't eat them.

As Lemur notes, many refined carb foods are also fatty foods (desserts and chips for example), many aren't such as Cap'n Crunch. If I eat a bowl of Cap'n crunch, I want more and I'm hungry. If I eat an avocado for breakfast, which I did today, I'm fine until lunch, and I'll find it easier to have a nutritious lunch.

Again, I'm only speaking for me: it's just easier to reach MY goals when I limit the heavily refined carbs in my diet.

Got ya. I could totally overeat on nuts, and if baby back ribs count, I could easily eat more than twice my TDEE at one meal.
    Sure. But would that rack of ribs lead to cravings? For me it wouldn't. It would be damned tasty though!

I made ribs that were so delicious I was yearning for more an hour after I was done.
    If you've never believed you can over eat on fats and protein, you've never been to a good Brazilian steak house.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That's the point. There's plenty of people on this board who'd flip their s*** about all dem chimikillz if some processed food had any of that on the label, but they're perfectly fine with this, because they have no idea that those chemicals are pretty much everywhere.

Maybe a few. But I think it's more about wondering why lasagna needs ingredients we aren't familiar with when those ingredients aren't included in lasagna we make from scratch. What are they and why are they there? Many people don't want to have to do research just to eat dinner. So, you either trust the government to only approve stuff that won't hurt us, or you choose to avoid the additives and not have to wonder about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So, if this is a trust issue, you trust bulls not to bull**** you more than you trust lab technicians not to when it comes to putting together muscle and fat?

Yes, pretty much.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That's the point. There's plenty of people on this board who'd flip their s*** about all dem chimikillz if some processed food had any of that on the label, but they're perfectly fine with this, because they have no idea that those chemicals are pretty much everywhere.

Maybe a few. But I think it's more about wondering why lasagna needs ingredients we aren't familiar with when those ingredients aren't included in lasagna we make from scratch. What are they and why are they there? Many people don't want to have to do research just to eat dinner. So, you either trust the government to only approve stuff that won't hurt us, or you choose to avoid the additives and not have to wonder about it.

If you don't want to check what stuff is and if it's fine for yourself that's alright.
    But more often we see people coming on here and telling us all how horrible those things (that they didn't even check what they are) are for you and that y'all need to detox from them or whatever. That's a problem.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

If you don't want to check what stuff is and if it's fine for yourself that's alright.
    But more often we see people coming on here and telling us all how horrible those things (that they didn't even check what they are) are for you and that y'all need to detox from them or whatever. That's a problem.

Yes, I agree.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1. You're not going to gain weight from 998 cals a day ever because that is way too little lolo
    2. Carbs don't make you fat if you eat good, natural ones like whole grains (oatmeal, rice, etc), fruits, and veg. Carbs are a necessity and your main source of energy. Natural carbs are the least likely to make you fat

LOL. I gained 40 pounds by eating steamed brown rice--I simply ate too much of it as I was always hungry after eating it. I could eat rice (any kind) all day long & still be hungry but now I need to avoid it since I'm diabetic. I could probably have a very small quantity of rice & be OK (blood sugar wise) but I'd have to be careful about it so I stick with that small quantity so I don't stimulate my hunger any more than necessary.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down. The carbs were spent spent on oatmeal, veggie straws, and fruit. everyone hates carbs, but will i really gain weight if I eat a high percentage of them, like this?

While you will certainly see me recommend more protein in relationship to carbs often, I do this when the person is complaining about being hungry or has other concerns that higher protein addresses. I used to live in vegetarian communities and knew plenty of people who did just fine on higher carbs and lower protein than would work for me.

However, I am concerned that 988 is all the calories you are eating in a day.

• kshama2001
    Options

If you've never believed you can over eat on fats and protein, you've never been to a good Brazilian steak house.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Good for you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Who said you couldn't over eat on fats and proteins?
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you. Adding fructose to food has caused damage to the American population. I believe GMO's are not being digested as intended and should be avoided. I don't eat processed protein or processed carbs. Check the ingredients on your "healthy" yogurt and tell me you feel comfortable eating it. Compare that to plain greek yogurt. If you can process dairy consider dropping flavored yogurt and mix your own starting with greek.

If you are talking about whole unprocessed carbs, I agree with you. Have it, and enjoy it, if you're lucky enough that your body can handle it. I am somewhat lucky but I have to watch my carbs more than I would like to.

If you are eating whole unprocessed foods you will be much better off no matter what your macros end up being...

Hi Gina,

I've found our discussions about processed foods here to be more productive once someone pointed out the Brazilian classifications of processing - Natural/Minimal, Processed, and Ultra Processed.

Since just saying "processed" would technically include the strawberry I pick from my garden and throw in the freezer, we would have semantics debates when someone suggested not eating processed foods. But if what you are actually talking about are Ultra Processed foods, that's a different story. And probably one best left for another thread.
    Wouldn't 0% Greek yogurt still be ultra-processed?

Yogurt is mentioned nine times, both as a Minimally and Ultra Processed food.

Milk and Cheese
    "This group includes minimally processed foods such as cow’s milk, cheese curds, plain yogurt, and processed foods such as cheeses."

"...Milk drinks and yogurts that have been sweetened, coloured, and flavoured are ultra-processed foods, and as such should be avoided."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you. Adding fructose to food has caused damage to the American population. I believe GMO's are not being digested as intended and should be avoided. I don't eat processed protein or processed carbs. Check the ingredients on your "healthy" yogurt and tell me you feel comfortable eating it. Compare that to plain greek yogurt. If you can process dairy consider dropping flavored yogurt and mix your own starting with greek.

If you are talking about whole unprocessed carbs, I agree with you. Have it, and enjoy it, if you're lucky enough that your body can handle it. I am somewhat lucky but I have to watch my carbs more than I would like to.

If you are eating whole unprocessed foods you will be much better off no matter what your macros end up being...

Hi Gina,

I've found our discussions about processed foods here to be more productive once someone pointed out the Brazilian classifications of processing - Natural/Minimal, Processed, and Ultra Processed.

Since just saying "processed" would technically include the strawberry I pick from my garden and throw in the freezer, we would have semantics debates when someone suggested not eating processed foods. But if what you are actually talking about are Ultra Processed foods, that's a different story. And probably one best left for another thread.

Milk and Cheese
    "This group includes minimally processed foods such as cow’s milk, cheese curds, plain yogurt, and processed foods such as cheeses."

Ultra
    "Milk drinks and yogurts that have been sweetened, coloured, and flavoured are ultra-processed foods, and as such should be avoided."

Why does adding sugar or flavor take something from minimally processed to ultra processed?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Hi Gina,

Milk and Cheese

Ultra
    "Milk drinks and yogurts that have been sweetened, coloured, and flavoured are ultra-processed foods, and as such should be avoided."
    0% Greek yougurt is not plain yogurt. It has additional processing.

I'm not sure that adding chocolate and a stabilizer to milk involves more processing than making cheese. It almost seems like they're working in terms of their opinion of the processing, rather than the degree of processing per se.

• kshama2001
    Options

Hi Gina,

Milk and Cheese

Ultra

Why does adding sugar or flavor take something from minimally processed to ultra processed?

See pages 39-45. http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If ingredients are just ingredients, why all the motivation to figure out what's actually in aspartame or sucralose but not in other ingredients. That seems... odd. If it's fair game to consider all of the "stuff" that's included in aspartame, it seems like it would also be fair game to consider all the "stuff" that's in an apple or egg or blueberry? No? If not, why not?

Ha! Fair question. I think it comes down to trust. Who do you trust more, the maker of eggs and blueberries o:) , or the maker of aspartame >:) ?

I prefer >:)http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/good-guy-lucifer

I love this!