are carbs really that terrible?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I limit carbs now because I find it keeps me from getting hungry. Carbs for me lead to binging. A whole loaf of bread, a whole package of oreo's a box of mac n cheese all those things have really happened not that long ago and was one of the reasons I made the change. It is just easier for me but everyone is different.

Right, so the fact that you eat a whole pack of Oreo's is the fault of the macronutriant carbohydrate?

I can't imagine there would be another reason.

snarky much?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I limit carbs now because I find it keeps me from getting hungry. Carbs for me lead to binging. A whole loaf of bread, a whole package of oreo's a box of mac n cheese all those things have really happened not that long ago and was one of the reasons I made the change. It is just easier for me but everyone is different.

I sympathize.

I had a recent discussion with someone about doritos. I told them I steer clear of them because of the calories.

They said, but doritos are only 150g per bag - I had to point out I was talking about the family bags - nearer 1000 cals.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I subsist purely on Doritos, Oreos, and piles of raw cane sugar. What's the problem?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Dude, Trader Joe's Nacho Cheese Chips > Doritos, any day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I subsist purely on Doritos, Oreos, and piles of raw cane sugar. What's the problem?
    Tell me you drink Mt. Dew?
    tumblr_midfwlihFk1s1wqs9o1_400.gif
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't want to suggest that my diet is right for anyone but me. I know it isn't. Everyone has unique circumstances and has to choose what they believe is best for them.

I eat a very high-carb diet and have lost 93 pounds. I'm very Pro on high carb for me.

Many people go low carb for a variety of reasons and that works well for them. I get that and I think it's every bit as great as me going high-carb. Whatever works!!!

Yep - I eat carbs too. All depends on your body. If I don't eat carbs I turn into crazy monster that wants to ravenously gorge on crap. But if I eat good carbs like wholemeal breads/pasta/pumpkins and sweet potatoes, etc - I feel happy and warm and satiated.

And I have lost weight. And I eat 1700 per day. I think I would shrivel up and die on anything less than 1500. I honestly have no idea how you guys manage to eat so little. The very short time I did 1200 sure lost me the weight quickly but I was crabby, hungry, prone to bingeing, tired and lo and behold - put it all and a bit more back on when I stopped.

But, each to their own is what I've found on these forums - each to their own...
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options

That seems like a lot of rules.

I choose to eat a healthy, varied diet that is free of all those confines.

I eat flavored greek yogurt....happily. You can say I am not healthy, however I disagree and my doctor disagrees, so I am totally cool with my food choices.

I also eat Peanut Butter Snickers. I'm eating one right now. Something is not inherently unhealthy, it has to be seen in the grand scope of someone's diet.

A lot of rules? read the label, gasp.

You're right. Snickers are super healthy. Maybe if the OP had a snickers there wouldn't be a calorie deficit. This is about the original poster, right?? Oh, wait.

• superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options

Right, so the fact that you eat a whole pack of Oreo's is the fault of the macronutriant carbohydrate?

I think she means that once she starts on a carb fest it's hard to stop. No, it's not directly the fault of the oreos.. For some people eating carbs make them crave more carbs. It could be willpower issues, or it could just be losing weight and/or staying compliant is easier when they limit carbs.

Thank you. Yes it isn't the fault of the food. It is always my fault and my lack of willpower. It is just harder for me with carbs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I think she means that once she starts on a carb fest it's hard to stop. No, it's not directly the fault of the oreos.. For some people eating carbs make them crave more carbs. It could be willpower issues, or it could just be losing weight and/or staying compliant is easier when they limit carbs.

Thank you. Yes it isn't the fault of the food. It is always my fault and my lack of willpower. It is just harder for me with carbs.
    I had a terrible problem with white breads and pastas. If I eat any, I want more. And more and more. Even if I eat more, it doesn't help. I just want MORE. It's a craving. I can and did resist eating them, but the cravings were terrible.

I swapped them out for whole grains and it made all the difference in the world! I don't know if it would help you, but thought I'd mention it. Food for thought. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    @nvmomketo is the reason you don't like when people say carbs are evil because they don't clarify that it's a problem for them-not everyone?

Because in posts I say carbs are the devil, then go on to say but that's not the case for many or most people. That seems harmless. Or is that still what bothers you? If so, can you tell me why?

The only reason I get tired of "carbs is the devil" is because many people around here jump on that and attack and a (low crab) thread gets hopelessly derailed. I agree that it is harmless. I see it as the equivalent of other people saying "I love carbs" or "I think carbs are great and should be eaten at every meal" or even "I can't live without doughnuts".

So I guess I shouldn't have said I am tired of people saying carbs are the devil. What I am actually tired of is derailed threads because someone jumped on another person's choice of wording. (Because everything must be a literal translation, right?)

And derailed threads usually seems to be over the level of carbs, or clean eating labeling. It's a bit tiresome already.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I had a terrible problem with white breads and pastas. If I eat any, I want more. And more and more. Even if I eat more, it doesn't help. I just want MORE. It's a craving. I can and did resist eating them, but the cravings were terrible.

I swapped them out for whole grains and it made all the difference in the world! I don't know if it would help you, but thought I'd mention it. Food for thought. :)

Annnnd here I am agreeing with Kalikel again. 150 grams of cooked wholemeal pasta goes a long way. If it were white pasta - I could eat 500 no troubles.
  • senecarr
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Tell me you drink Mt. Dew?
    tumblr_midfwlihFk1s1wqs9o1_400.gif

Only after I tip my fedora and complain about feminists ruining video games.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Gina2xoxo wrote: »

I eat flavored greek yogurt....happily. You can say I am not healthy, however I disagree and my doctor disagrees, so I am totally cool with my food choices.

I also eat Peanut Butter Snickers. I'm eating one right now. Something is not inherently unhealthy, it has to be seen in the grand scope of someone's diet.

You're right. Snickers are super healthy. Maybe if the OP had a snickers there wouldn't be a calorie deficit. This is about the original poster, right?? Oh, wait.

Read the label? Am I suppose to freak out if I can't pronounce something on the label? Because I was told that rule, but shoot isomalto-oligosaccharides aren't even a tongue twister.
    Also: 3025200-inline-i-1-all-natural-fruits.jpg

Are those all ok ingredients?
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo oh yea I totally get that! I cringe every single time someone posts about juicing, clean eating, low carb, or sugar addictions. Only because I know it's gonna be a battle.
  • senecarr
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    @nvmomketo oh yea I totally get that! I cringe every single time someone posts about juicing, clean eating, low carb, or sugar addictions. Only because I know it's gonna be a battle.

Would you say some are addicted to that battle?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Read the label? Am I suppose to freak out if I can't pronounce something on the label? Because I was told that rule, but shoot isomalto-oligosaccharides aren't even a tongue twister.

The straw man cometh.
  • senecarr
    Options

The straw man cometh.

The that which can be asserted with evidence can be dismissed without evidence. All that was said was look at the label. Why does the same substances that can be found in two different things stop being fearful if a label hasn't been mandated it. A gap in logic and explanation doesn't make my comment a straw man for what has been presented.
    Avoiding food based on labels is an arbitrary, unhelpful standard fostered by the fact that even when the chemicals are the same, packaged foods have to disclose ingredients while produce and does not.
  • senecarr
    edited October 2015
    Options

The straw man cometh.

The that which can be asserted with evidence can be dismissed without evidence. All that was said was look at the label. Why does the same substances that can be found in two different things stop being fearful if a label hasn't been mandated it. A gap in logic and explanation doesn't make my comment a straw man for what has been presented.
    Avoiding food based on labels is an arbitrary, unhelpful standard fostered by the fact that even when the chemicals are the same, packaged foods have to disclose ingredients while produce and does not.
    Also, as you're familiar with straw man fallacy, how familiar are you with naturalistic fallacy? "Read the label" is built on it.