Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The craving argument being used in this discussion seems a bit spurious (not as pertains to the people making them, but rather in a universal sense). It's a popular line that carbs lead to more carb cravings, but I think it's more appropriate to say that tasty food is more-ish.

If I'm not mistaken, the results of the Yale Food Addiction survey point to pizza as the most often craved/more-ish food cited by respondents. A perfect combination of savory carb/protein/fat goodness.

The how and why of craving is probably quite complex. Right now, I'm sitting here craving a poached egg on toast. I'm hungry, so I'll go make it as soon as I'm done typing this :) My reason for craving it could be tied to good memories of having eaten it in the past, the fact that it's tasty, the fact that my stomach isn't quite settled and I associate it with my mother making it when I was feeling poorly as a child -- all sorts of things.

I have, at another time in my life, been simply mad for egg salad. And yes, eating it made me want more. The combination of the taste and texture? I kept wanting to experience it.

I always give anecdotes because I'm not of the belief that my experiences are unique. While I realize I'm just one person, I also realize that... I'm not super special or weirdly out of sync in how my body is. I'm going to assume that other people like me exist out there. I'm also going to assume that other people different from me exist out there. Which brings me back to my point:

The argument for cravings isn't, imo, a good one, because cravings following the ingestion of just carbs isn't a universal phenomenon AND because I'm not convinced that cravings are purely a biological construct.

I only speak for myself and my own experience. And to be clear: if I have dominos pizza for breakfast, it doesn't mean I necessarily keep craving pizza, I may crave nachos, cap'n crunch etc. If I have avocado and eggs for breakfast, the cap'n doesn't call so much.
    Again, just little ole me. And since it's no big deal, if I stick to the plan, to not eat heavily refined, highly palatable foods, its a great approach for me.

And you have 14 years of experience with eating your way, so that is clearly optimum :)

I was just trying to bring some clarity to the point, because sometimes the "carbs = cravings" mantra is stated as a universal cause/effect rather than an individual occurrence.

Thanks for clarifying where you're coming from.

Yes, exactly. People are different and I don't doubt that works for Sabine (and I appreciate that Sabine distinguishes between heavily refined and other carbs vs. saying it's "carbs" in general that are the issue for her).

The only reason I jump into these arguments is because it's so often phrased not as an individual thing, but as a general rule.

Well, and because I get tired of people generalizing about "carbs" as if they were all Oreos and potato chips and ignoring the fact that most "junk foods" are really carbs+fat (just like Oreos and potato chips).

Personally, I have a hard time eating large amounts of just carbs.

When I read this I started thinking about eating carbs and realized how hard it is to think of carbs that I eat without fat or protein. Then I remembered those that I don't eat because I like to pig out on them. Cocoa Puffs comes to mind. I can literally eat a box of Cocoa Puffs, and since I don't like milk and use almond milk, fat and protein are not added. So, I guess I could eat a large amount of just carbs.

It probably means that you just really like Cocoa Puffs. I mean, would you do the same with every cereal, or is just Cocoa Puffs? Sometimes, we like the taste of things and it has nothing to do with how many carbs or fat or protein something has.

Not just Cocoa Puffs, but not every cereal either. I don't like those little red things that fall off in the milk when I eat Apple Jacks, for instance.

Then I suspect it's not the carbs. I mean, I like Life cereal as well as Marshmallow Mateys, but while I'm happy with Life cereal, I will pig out on Marshmallow Mateys. And Life has a lot more carbs, so for me, that's not it. I just like it better. Sometimes a preference is just a preference, there's no underlying reason for it. That's not to say if you pig out on something you should just learn to 'deal with it'. The reason I don't pig out on MM anymore is because they are not allowed in my house! I don't crave 'carbs', though a lot of my favorite foods have them.

Oh, I wasn't saying I pigged out because of the carbs. I was just thinking of examples where I eat large amounts of carbs alone. Cereal was all I could come up with.
    Dr. Kellog would be proud, especially if it leaves you placid.
    If Watterson ever licensed something it should be Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The craving argument being used in this discussion seems a bit spurious (not as pertains to the people making them, but rather in a universal sense). It's a popular line that carbs lead to more carb cravings, but I think it's more appropriate to say that tasty food is more-ish.

If I'm not mistaken, the results of the Yale Food Addiction survey point to pizza as the most often craved/more-ish food cited by respondents. A perfect combination of savory carb/protein/fat goodness.

The how and why of craving is probably quite complex. Right now, I'm sitting here craving a poached egg on toast. I'm hungry, so I'll go make it as soon as I'm done typing this :) My reason for craving it could be tied to good memories of having eaten it in the past, the fact that it's tasty, the fact that my stomach isn't quite settled and I associate it with my mother making it when I was feeling poorly as a child -- all sorts of things.

I have, at another time in my life, been simply mad for egg salad. And yes, eating it made me want more. The combination of the taste and texture? I kept wanting to experience it.

I always give anecdotes because I'm not of the belief that my experiences are unique. While I realize I'm just one person, I also realize that... I'm not super special or weirdly out of sync in how my body is. I'm going to assume that other people like me exist out there. I'm also going to assume that other people different from me exist out there. Which brings me back to my point:

The argument for cravings isn't, imo, a good one, because cravings following the ingestion of just carbs isn't a universal phenomenon AND because I'm not convinced that cravings are purely a biological construct.

I only speak for myself and my own experience. And to be clear: if I have dominos pizza for breakfast, it doesn't mean I necessarily keep craving pizza, I may crave nachos, cap'n crunch etc. If I have avocado and eggs for breakfast, the cap'n doesn't call so much.
    Again, just little ole me. And since it's no big deal, if I stick to the plan, to not eat heavily refined, highly palatable foods, its a great approach for me.

And you have 14 years of experience with eating your way, so that is clearly optimum :)

I was just trying to bring some clarity to the point, because sometimes the "carbs = cravings" mantra is stated as a universal cause/effect rather than an individual occurrence.

Yes, exactly. People are different and I don't doubt that works for Sabine (and I appreciate that Sabine distinguishes between heavily refined and other carbs vs. saying it's "carbs" in general that are the issue for her).

The only reason I jump into these arguments is because it's so often phrased not as an individual thing, but as a general rule.

Well, and because I get tired of people generalizing about "carbs" as if they were all Oreos and potato chips and ignoring the fact that most "junk foods" are really carbs+fat (just like Oreos and potato chips).

When I read this I started thinking about eating carbs and realized how hard it is to think of carbs that I eat without fat or protein. Then I remembered those that I don't eat because I like to pig out on them. Cocoa Puffs comes to mind. I can literally eat a box of Cocoa Puffs, and since I don't like milk and use almond milk, fat and protein are not added. So, I guess I could eat a large amount of just carbs.

It probably means that you just really like Cocoa Puffs. I mean, would you do the same with every cereal, or is just Cocoa Puffs? Sometimes, we like the taste of things and it has nothing to do with how many carbs or fat or protein something has.

Not just Cocoa Puffs, but not every cereal either. I don't like those little red things that fall off in the milk when I eat Apple Jacks, for instance.

Then I suspect it's not the carbs. I mean, I like Life cereal as well as Marshmallow Mateys, but while I'm happy with Life cereal, I will pig out on Marshmallow Mateys. And Life has a lot more carbs, so for me, that's not it. I just like it better. Sometimes a preference is just a preference, there's no underlying reason for it. That's not to say if you pig out on something you should just learn to 'deal with it'. The reason I don't pig out on MM anymore is because they are not allowed in my house! I don't crave 'carbs', though a lot of my favorite foods have them.

Oh, I wasn't saying I pigged out because of the carbs. I was just thinking of examples where I eat large amounts of carbs alone. Cereal was all I could come up with.

It's been so long since I ate that much sugar in one sitting that I'd probably be bouncing off the walls. ::laugh::

I've seen back and forth studies on that, but the balance of it seems to be, sugar does not cause hyperactivity. Knowing you've eaten sugar certainly seems to cause it, but a study or two that used kids and parents double-blind to it has shown having hidden into food doesn't seem to cause hyperactivity.
    I think it is probably one of the more persistent nutrition "facts" we have.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

If Watterson ever licensed something it should be Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs.

No no no, you don't put sugar in the name anymore. I can remember when Corn Pops (another I could totally overeat!) used be named Sugar Pops and Golden Crisp was Sugar Crisp. But those days are gone. Sugar is evil and evil should not be prominently displayed.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Super Sugar Crisp. And Honey Bear.

And that's exactly why Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs would be so awesome. He wouldn't even be selling to kids. The parents would be buying it for themselves.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It's been so long since I ate that much sugar in one sitting that I'd probably be bouncing off the walls. ::laugh::

I've seen back and forth studies on that, but the balance of it seems to be, sugar does not cause hyperactivity. Knowing you've eaten sugar certainly seems to cause it, but a study or two that used kids and parents double-blind to it has shown having hidden into food doesn't seem to cause hyperactivity.

Stop trying to burst all the bubbles, man! Not even short term hyperactivity from the sugar rush?
  • senecarr
    Options

No no no, you don't put sugar in the name anymore. I can remember when Corn Pops (another I could totally overeat!) used be named Sugar Pops and Golden Crisp was Sugar Crisp. But those days are gone. Sugar is evil and evil should not be prominently displayed.

Sounds similar to what happened to Kentucky Fried Chicken. They switched to calling themselves KFC to avoid the word "fried". For some reason conspiracies arouse that it was really to avoid liability for calling it chicken because KFC was no longer using chicken, but a mutant 8 legged chicken-like animal to get all the drumsticks they need.
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Got to look at your micro nutrients and vitamins. These are the essential building blocks of moving weight. The better levels they are at, the faster the weight will move. Carbs are fat in disguise. When you eat too many Carbs they turn into fat, provided that the liver and pancreas are working. Too much fat in your blood stream can cause blockages in the liver and too few micronutrients stop the pancreas working. So the reason why LCHF diets work imo is that the micro nutrients get to burn the fat from the cells in the liver and the liver sends the micro nutrients to the pancreas which produce the enzymes to burn more fat. Stopping the carbohydrates forces the body to use its fuel cells to burn fat instead of using the cells to convert carbohydrates into fat. Limiting your diet will limit your nutrients in order for the liver and pancreas to work properly. This of course assumes you have normal functioning liver and pancreas to start with. Eat less carbs and more veg and fats. You will feel fuller and have fat burning system not a fat storing system.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Sounds similar to what happened to Kentucky Fried Chicken. They switched to calling themselves KFC to avoid the word "fried". For some reason conspiracies arouse that it was really to avoid liability for calling it chicken because KFC was no longer using chicken, but a mutant 8 legged chicken-like animal to get all the drumsticks they need.

Maybe they just grow extra legs on them like they grew a human ear on a mouse.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    KateKyi wrote: »
    Got to look at your micro nutrients and vitamins. These are the essential building blocks of moving weight. The better levels they are at, the faster the weight will move. Carbs are fat in disguise. When you eat too many Carbs they turn into fat, provided that the liver and pancreas are working. Too much fat in your blood stream can cause blockages in the liver and too few micronutrients stop the pancreas working. So the reason why LCHF diets work imo is that the micro nutrients get to burn the fat from the cells in the liver and the liver sends the micro nutrients to the pancreas which produce the enzymes to burn more fat. Stopping the carbohydrates forces the body to use its fuel cells to burn fat instead of using the cells to convert carbohydrates into fat. Limiting your diet will limit your nutrients in order for the liver and pancreas to work properly. This of course assumes you have normal functioning liver and pancreas to start with. Eat less carbs and more veg and fats. You will feel fuller and have fat burning system not a fat storing system.

No. So much wrong with this post!!
  • senecarr
    Options

Stop trying to burst all the bubbles, man! Not even short term hyperactivity from the sugar rush?
    It looks like if neither the parents or children are aware of it being added, children show no extra hyperactivity as reported by asking parents to rate their child's activity level.
    Most of the hyperactivity from sugar probably stems from psychological conditioning. A lot of times people consume sugary foods are at things like parties or special occasions, particularly for kids.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

How will my carbs be stored as fat if I'm not overeating? If I drink a lot of wine and eat high fat, will I overwork my liver? Because I like to drink wine.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Carbs are fat in disguise?
    That is like the worst possible Transformers spin-off imaginable.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It looks like if neither the parents or children are aware of it being added, children show no extra hyperactivity as reported by asking parents to rate their child's activity level.
    Most of the hyperactivity from sugar probably stems from psychological conditioning. A lot of times people consume sugary foods are at things like parties or special occasions, particularly for kids.

Okay, new rule: Only eat Cocoa Puffs at a party
  • senecarr
    Options

How will my carbs be stored as fat if I'm not overeating? If I drink a lot of wine and eat high fat, will I overwork my liver? Because I like to drink wine.

Oddly, the excellent HBO documentary Weight of the Nation discussed that very issue. With the growing amount of obesity, doctors are suddenly see fatty liver disease in people who aren't alcoholics - until the 90s, fatty liver was thought of as purely a disease of alcoholism.
    Of course, in a deficit, this isn't going to happen no matter the fats or carbs. Honestly flipping protein into glucose when you take in too much and end up using it for energy instead of building blocks could be the most taxing of the functions livers do with converting macros.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever eaten just carbs either. My sneak food of shame when I had early dismissal in senior year of high school was massive amounts of Saltines slathered with butter.

I could never eat straight pretzels as a "binge" (not in the true sense of the word) either. I'd have to combine them either with potato chips or cheese or less frequently, dip.

• senecarr
    Options

Okay, new rule: Only eat Cocoa Puffs at a party

Perhaps I'll try to follow that rule. A lot of the time I do my bubble bursting, I get told by people I'm probably a joy at parties, so I suppose I should go to more of them.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Apple Jacks always gave me the worst heartburn, even when I was a kid!

My cereal of choice to go nuts with (and yes, I had mine with milk)? Frosted Flakes. I wasn't big on super sugary cereals. Later on, when they came on the market, Frosted Mini-Wheats. Those I could eat dry, but I never went crazy over-eating them then. It was more like having a small snack. If I had them with milk? WATCH OUT!

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Cap'n Crunch for me until the roof of my mouth was in shreds!!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Oh dear.

Fat doesn't get stored permanently in a caloric deficit.

I'm going to leave my comments to that.

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten just carbs either. My sneak food of shame when I had early dismissal in senior year of high school was massive amounts of Saltines slathered with butter.

Saltines with frosting are super awesome