are carbs really that terrible?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    Just need to find what works for you. I can eat 1500 calories with lots of carbs and feel like crap and not lose a pound and eat 1500 calories without carbs and the weight comes off easily.

I also agree with that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    MY blood glucose numbers dropped within a week of changing my diet. To be honest, they haven't improved with more weight loss. For me, it's all about what I've eaten and how much. I've gone from about 185-190 lbs down to about 155 lbs in the last 3 months. It really hasn't helped my FBG; I need to eat low carb.

The other day I had 2 Tbs of xylitol sweetened chocolate chips with about a 1/3 of a cup of macadamia nuts for a bedtime snack; I also had broiled carrots (a higher carb veggie) with dinner. My FBG the next day was 5.7. My FBG is carb sensitive. Perhaps it would not be as carb sensitive for someone who had lost more weight than me, but I doubt they could ever go back to higher carb without ramifications.

Illness appears to have affected my FBG too. I had a virus for a month, and during that time my fasting BG was back to prediabetic range.

Normal FBG is 3.9 to 5.5 (70-100). If I stay LC, and without too many calories, I usually stay between a 4.4 and 5.2.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/diagnosis-diabetes-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx

http://www.type2diabetesguide.com/conversion-chart-for-blood-sugar-levels.shtml#.VhBcpuxVhHw

It seems most professionals recommend regular exercise, not just modifying the diet to improve those numbers. So, are you moving/exercising? If so, has it improved those numbers?
    I am not exercising as regularly as I should, and that exercise is not strenuous - walking a few times per week and coaching soccer and basketball.

When I exercise one day my FBG numbers are often lower. It does seem to help, but carbs do seem to trump some of that for me.
    Gina2xoxo wrote: »
    MY blood glucose numbers dropped within a week of changing my diet. To be honest, they haven't improved with more weight loss. For me, it's all about what I've eaten and how much. I've gone from about 185-190 lbs down to about 155 lbs in the last 3 months. It really hasn't helped my FBG; I need to eat low carb.

The other day I had 2 Tbs of xylitol sweetened chocolate chips with about a 1/3 of a cup of macadamia nuts for a bedtime snack; I also had broiled carrots (a higher carb veggie) with dinner. My FBG the next day was 5.7. My FBG is carb sensitive. Perhaps it would not be as carb sensitive for someone who had lost more weight than me, but I doubt they could ever go back to higher carb without ramifications.

Illness appears to have affected my FBG too. I had a virus for a month, and during that time my fasting BG was back to prediabetic range.

Normal FBG is 3.9 to 5.5 (70-100). If I stay LC, and without too many calories, I usually stay between a 4.4 and 5.2.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/diagnosis-diabetes-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx

http://www.type2diabetesguide.com/conversion-chart-for-blood-sugar-levels.shtml#.VhBcpuxVhHw

It took longer for my blood glucose to lower. My first fasting test was 117. I didn't really think I would have a high number (not that high). I started counting sugar grams and I still had a hard time getting my BSG under 100. Once I finally quit counting sugar grams and starting eating more vegetables and less processed carbs (meaning eating clean) it has been an average of 92. I walk every day and do Tony Horton's 10 minute trainer before my walk.

You are doing great--it isn't easy but it is important for your health.

Thank you. It sounds like you are doing very well too. Eating clean (fewer processed carbs) makes good sense to me too.
    senecarr wrote: »

30 to 35 lbs in 3 months is a relatively fast burn for that starting weight. I'd consider the possibility that some muscle mass was lost.
    I think muscle mass is rather productive for glucose control as each pound represents a lot of capacity for storing glycogen, which is a pretty quick way to shuttle glucose out of the blood.
    I have diabetes in my family, and have been severely overweight most of my life. Yet I can have ice cream and have blood glucose of 94 about 15 minutes after finishing it. Good be genetic luck, but I tend to attribute it to resistance training.

I probably did lose some muscle mass, but I'm not too concerned. I am (luckily) one of those people who tends to put on muscle very quickly, especially for a woman.

Over the last few years I have been largely unable to do heavy lifting due to inflammatory arthritis - it's impossible to do weights when it is hard to hold a fork. It seems to have improved and I plan to get back into it soon. It would be great if that helped my BG too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    Just need to find what works for you. I can eat 1500 calories with lots of carbs and feel like crap and not lose a pound and eat 1500 calories without carbs and the weight comes off easily.

I am all for people doing what works for them to find that calorie deficit. However, on a scientific basis, 1500 calories with carbs and 1500 calories with little carbs is still 1500 calories no matter how you look at it. Carbs cause water retention, but once you cut back on carbs you lose water weight. I'll also bet that low carb works best for you because it curbs your appetite and helps you to stick to a calorie deficit. In my weight management world, few carbs make me hungrier and higher carbs keep my full. I lost 44 pounds on high carb and have been maintaining almost 2 years. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Haven't you said you are on steroids, though? That's a risk factor.