WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Barbie

Joyce - <3 that Charlie sang to you. That is a wonderful moment that God sent special, just for you.

Sendings hugs to all you beautiful ladies. Hope October brings me peace and a good nights sleep.

<3 Rosie
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Janemartin Put me out of my misery! What is this with the Happy Hump Day? I have asked about it several times on other threads, but no answer was forthcoming.

Irish Terri

Irish Terri,

Wednesday is the middle day of the week, hence "Hump day" Those wishing Happy Hump Day are referring to this.

Elaine in Lansing
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Irish Terri~ if you can google geico commercial with camel . you will find a very funny commercial that explains hump day :smiley:
    Baribie~ thanks for keeping us going always love checking in...
    Janet~ yes you are correct Tom gets up at 2 am takes the dogs for a quick walk and then walks early around the block for 1/2 every morning....
    slept for almost 11 1/2 hrs way to much but I guess needed
    well today is day off from work.. so off to see DFIL, then over to take care of Faith and then home, will do a couple of loads of laundry, and start baking for my dad for his birthday on Sunday . he will be 87
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie <3
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe that it is October already!

Liz in Caldwell ID, I lived in Melba ID for 13 years. Left in '93. I loved camping in Idaho, and had a huge veggie garden and everything grew so well in the sandy soil. That is what I miss most!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    morning peeps-
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    September. Goals Evaluation

1. Increase weights on Stronglifts 5x5
    2. Weight lift at least 3 x a week
    3. 8 hour diet window
    4. 8 power foods
    5. 8 cups of water
    6. Follow night time snacking prevention methods
    7. Lose 5 lbs
    8. 10,000 steps on rest days

Quote- I know I can

Word - prioritize

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy day today I have to get in my strong lives as well as get ready for company I will be Reading the posts but probably not responding much.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary for Minnesota
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, Barbie!

Good morning, lovelies!

September
    -Listen - maybe 33%
    -Log everything - Honest logging every day yay!
    -Walk 10K Good some days, big flop on weekends.

Only lost .2 lb in September so time to step up those intentions.

Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who wants to feel good NOW.

October Intentions:
    Just for now: listen 5 seconds after speaker stops. Really.
    Today: Keep honestly logging, but get under max 5 days/week.
    October: walk at least one more step each day til daily average is 10K. Start getting back down on the mat.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi all! And many thanks Barbie! <3

Mary - I just adore the cabin! I love small spaces. We have a TV programme called George Clarke's Amazing Spaces, where he goes round looking at people's sheds, tree houses etc. Fascinating!

I bit the bullet and phoned the conveyancing solicitor this morning. That was hard for me. She was very sweet and reassuring and calmed me down. Let's hope it all goes ahead smoothly now. They are retaining some money in case there are added service charges.
    Then this morning I got another letter from the ridiculous freeholders saying they still hadn't worked out their charges for 14/15. I shall be sooooo glad when I don't have to have anything to do with them again. :sad:

Anyway, I managed to sleep last night by firmly telling myself I would ring the solicitors in the morning before I did my writing. I managed to hold off my neurosis until 6.30 a.m. Result!

Just been out with DH to buy bulbs. Garlic, :laugh: Crocus, and two kinds of tulips for the patio pots. Also bought some 2 for 3 cyclamen to put in the pot directly in our eyeline outside our French windows to cheer up the winter. :bigsmile:

DH was so enthused by our sloe gin adventures that he has decided to make blackberry cordial - the alcoholic variety. You boil them with sugar, strain the juice and add brandy. It then is like a cassis to put in sparkling wine or have with soda. The French name is Mures. He is out in the lanes now picking them. We already have a freezer full that he adds to apples as a dessert.
    He got a bit annoyed this morning when I suggested that his sister might have dispraxia. He hates all these labels. He may have a point there, as it's not a disease, but a collection of behaviours, but the symptoms do describe her very well. He also thinks I am exaggerating when I think his great niece is mildly autistic. :ohwell: I will say that I am usually right about these things. :laugh: He is generally very opposed to generalizations. :laugh:

I'm managing to stagger on with my tablet, but have to do a lot of rebooting to get it to charge. Annoying.

Joyce - I'm delighted to hear that Charlie and you had such a great karaoke experience. <3 Here's to a continued improvement! :drinker:

DJ and others - The meal at home is very much my own choice. I haven't seen my brother and sister in law since April and just wanted a relaxed chat. We could easily have gone out to eat, but I much prefer my own food. My cleaner is cleaning right now, so that's not a problem. I have virtually no cooking to do and what there is will be done in the morning. Everything is my favourite food. :bigsmile: Normally we go abroad for my birthday, but this year, with DH 's huge shindig coming up, I couldn't summon up any enthusiasm. Just want a nice, non stressful time with my brother. <3 DH is opening a bottle of his birthday champagne for us.

Love to all. Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning Ladies again~
    well going through recipes now, trying to find my dads favorites... laundry in the wash, dogs walked, DFIL fed, he doesnt sound well, talked with the head nurse, I am thinking he might have pneumonia.. then went up and got Faith her insulin,breakfast and her lunch ready in the fridge, now onto baking and making dinner.. then back out to take care of her around 5, then home..
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Becca – A few of those TOPS ladies sound toxic or what I refer to as Negative Nellies. I’m glad there are also a few who make it worth your while. I feel you are right about the brain reprogramming. I like your index card method and may have to do something similar for myself. I wish we lived closer together because I think we would get along quite well together. You don’t sound odd at all to me. I think you are every bit as normal as I am and as any of my close friends are.

Heather – Best of luck dealing with the solicitor today. It will be so good once all this is behind you.

Irish Terri – This has probably been answered already but…

Think of the work week as a hill. On Monday you start walking up the hill and by Wednesday you reach the top or hump. After that the walk is downhill until you reach the bottom on Friday. Sat and Sunday you coast along on the flat ground and on Monday morning you get to start back up another hill. Thus Wednesday when you reach the top of the hill becomes “Happy Hump” day.

Mia in MI

September goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mary love the cabin looks great!

Janetr great to see you recovering so well.

Pip shoulder is looking great!

Thanks Barbie. Remembering to book mark this page.

September Goals:
    To continue to eat fresh veggies from garden.
    To keep working on a shelf or drawer a day and cull out things I don't need.
    Walk everyday
    Visit with a friend daily by walking, visiting or talking on the phone.
    Listen more talk less. Hard to do as a teacher, but I'll try.

Did fairly well with September goals

October Goals.

Continue to eat many fruits and veggies
    Continue to cull
    Walk daily
    Contact a friend daily in some form call, e-mail
    Stop to enjoy something beautiful everyday
    Work on finding a choir to share my love of singing

:heart: MNMargaret

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Happy October everyone.... yard work to do today, still some carrots and potatoes to dig. then taking my camera and heading out with my dog to snap some awesome fall colors. I really want to see the scale move this month so going to have to get aggressive...... :)

Goals for October:
    - 120 miles walked - 15 over 10,000 steps.
    - Log EVERYTHING!!!
    - lower bad cholesterol numbers

take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewn
  • miakoda40
    Options
    Meg from Omaha -
    megblair1 wrote: »
    DH is feeling much better now but Benny Beagle has a bad cough. He has always had some cough; the vet says it's a "sliding esophagus" that occurs frequently in Beagles, but the last week he has been really bad, actually keeping us up at night! The funny thing is that when he's out for a walk or excited because someone has come over, no cough! If he's coughing and you yell his name, he quits too. he's getting really hard of hearing so you have to yell! Maybe he's a hypochondriac, but we are taking him to the vet Saturday.

I started laughing when I read that you may have a hypochondriac dog. Then I remembered my beloved Peppy who was a childhood pet. Early on when we got her she had a sore paw and limped. Someone in the family would take pity on her and pick her up and carry her for a while when we saw her limping. The paw healed in about a week. After that, every now and then she would start limping. We soon discovered that she simply wanted cuddles and that she associated limping with getting picked up.

Here’s hoping Benny will be feeling better soon and that he isn’t just pining for attention.

Joyce, Indiana – I was smiling when I read your post about Charlie. It does indeed sound as if a corner has been turned and that he is getting back to his previous self.

Sharon in Lethbridge – Any chance your DD will let you post one of her paintings so we can see what she does? I’d love to see one.

Mia in MI

September goals:

• miakoda40
    Options
    September goals:

Sheesh! When I look at my goals for September I didn’t do well at all. However, I did managed to hit all of them occasionally. I feel as if I am making progress. I’m just not moving forward as rapidly as I would like. I am now reminding myself that this is a lifetime journey. Small forward steps are better than going backwards.

On a VERY positive note – I did lose 4 lbs this month putting an end to a 3 month plateau. That makes me very happy.

Continue to honestly log food every day – Fail. I started the month off well but faltered in the middle of the month. So I can say I did this for ½ of the month.

Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home – Fail. Of course, this is largely a fail because I have prepared very little food at home this month. However, I have not measured my leftovers when I have taken them to work for lunch.

Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise – Fail. Although I did get more exercise than during August. I’m not consistently walking or riding my bike or some other form of aerobic exercise.

64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily – Fail. I do get 48 oz. consistently. I would say that I manage 64 oz. about a third of the time.

===

October goals:

I’m keeping my September goals until they become habit. Right now they feel like enough.

Adding a word of the month to help me focus. PERSEVERE Do I need to explain that one? I’m guessing No.

Together we can do this.

Mia in MI

October goals:

Word for the month - PERSEVERE

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Happy Thursday and Happy October ! ! !

Thanks Barbie for keeping us going ! ! !

Cynthia – I understand about being tired of the weight-loss thing. I never worried about my weight until 1992 when I ruptured the disc in my back. Ever since that time it has been quite the yo-yo battle. Luckily, right now, thanks to MFP and all of you, I am feeling the desire to make healthy changes, and have accepted that this is a lifestyle change, not just another diet. I hope you find positive thoughts and peace quickly. Hugs ! ! !

Becca – If we lived closer you could do laundry at my house. Dad and I each have our own washer and dryer, so you would be able to do 2 loads at the same time. We have lines hung up so you can hang-dry if you want, too. I’m so sorry that such a basic chore is such a struggle. And I’m extra sorry about the lack of motivation from your TOPS group. I hope you can continue to find what you need both from us here, and from within ! ! !

Katla
    – Add me to the group who would prefer the Hotel for the holidays. Some holidays I go with a super-cheap hotel, just to sleep, and sometimes I make sure there is a pool, or even a whirlpool in our room. It depends on who we are visiting, and how much free time I expect to have (and need) to keep DS busy.

Irish Terri
    – Hump day is the middle of the work week – Wednesday. Once Thursday arrives, we can see the light of the weekend coming soon. // It looks like your question was answered more than once. What an insightful group we are. // Since I still have lots of hot flashes, my winter wardrobe isn’t much different from my summer wardrobe, except for tank tops. I was hoping to get a few new polo-type shirts for under my uniform vest, because the arms of the ones I have now look ridiculous. Hopefully I can make it to Goodwill this weekend.

Barbie – your cat on the keyboard made me laugh. Thanks!

Sylvia – It’s okay to speak the truth about grandkids to us. Trust me, I understand. There are multiple reason my son is named Payne .

I tried to win concert tickets again today, with the name of yet another co-worker. I must have been the 11th caller, because the phone rang for about 2 minutes, then clicked over to a busy signal. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe I can convince one of my co-workers to attend a different concert with me this fall/winter. I have tickets to Three Dog Night and tickets to Heart.

I feel like I have been doing pretty well with my eating, but definitely have room for improvement regarding exercise. I think we are going to try to convince my Dad to let us bring the exercise bike upstairs to our 1/2 of the house, since I don't think he uses it anymore. DH just "feels weird" asking if he can use it in my Dad's computer room. We'll see.

DS struggled at bowling last night, just like DH predicted. But he said he maintained his behavior, and made the adjustments that DH told him to make. The next tournament is Sunday, but that one does not have age divisions, so it will be for the experience (not expecting any scholarship money). Hopefully he won't get hit by any pins at work on Saturday, so I don't need to hear about how his ankle or knee or whatever hurts. We also need to spend a little time at the bowling alley where DH's nephews are bowling in the University Tournaments. Both boys, from different colleges, will be bowling against each other this weekend, and we may be able to hang-out with MIL or other in-laws a little. That would be nice. They don't have Texas Roadhouse near them, so that's probably where they will want to eat. I like their filet mignon and broccoli .

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri F. in Milwaukee
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Happy October Ladies,

MicheleNC, I hope you know how lucky you are to have a movie that still just charges $3.00. The ones here for a matinee on Senior Day charges $6.00. Big bargain, eh? Hope ya’ll enjoy the movie!

Joyce, I got misty eyed reading your post. How sweet that Charlie changed his song selection when he saw that you were there. smiley-love010.gif Oops, I’m misting up again. Sometimes an action like that is better than hearing how much he cares. I’m glad you went, also and it does sound like he is making improvement.

Liz, trust me, you aren’t alone in working on serving sizes. I still chose lower calorie veggies so I can have “more”. Lol But I am slowly learning to eat less. It’s a process, for sure. Good luck.

Mindy, congrats on your loss!! smiley-gen014.gif That is fantastic especially for someone with no goals. Lol You are doing something right so keep up the good work!!!

Sharon, I hope you can get your sleep straightened out. smiley-sleep005.gif It is so important for a successful day. It sounds like Chico is trying to help. 

Sylvia, with all that you do for your grandchildren, I can’t believe your son won’t share with you about what is going on with DGD. I just hope things are getting better.

TerriR, you are so close to your goal that you have to be excited. We are rooting for you.smiley-gen013.gif

Allison, ya know how one question leads to another? I have another. Lol If Tom gets up and out walking at that hour of the morning, what time does he go to bed? I know people that never go to bed before 2 am. *shakin’ head* I’m sure you did need the sleep to sleep that long. Good for you!

Mary, enjoy your company.

Pip, hi there. Hope you are feeling better each day? When do you have follow up visit with the doc?

Heather
    , if you want to stay home and cook your own food for your birthday, then I’m glad that is what you will do! You know we all just want you to have a very special day. So glad you had a good conversation with the solicitor.

MNMargaret, won’t you run out of shelves or drawers to declutter or do you have that many? Good goals.

Lillian, I’m with you in that I want to see the scale move this month. Guess I’ll have to get a little more aggressive also. We can do this!!!

Mia, good luck on your goals. A huge CONGRATS on losing 4 pounds. It’s so funny that when I started this journey that would have sounded like a failure to me and now it sounds marvelous. I would be ecstatic if I lost 4 pounds this month. Keep up the good work.

Janetr, I’m sending healing thoughts your way. I hope the pain level is low and you are looking forward to getting home. ((Hugs))

I am very disappointed that I didn’t lose a single pound this past month but glad I didn’t gain. It’s the first month that I had no loss at all, even though some have been very small. This month will be a year since I started my life journey and I am very pleased. As with most of us, I want to get to my goal yesterday and I know that when I get there, the journey won’t change. I am just so thankful for this great group of ladies and that I found you. I have learned so much from you and I feel your support as much as I support all of you. I just thank each and every one of you.

October Goals:
    Weigh less at end of the month than beginning.
    Be aware of portion size and reduce it where needed.
    Exercise at least 4 days a week.
    Drink water, at least 8 glasses a day.
    Log all food and drink.
    Stay within 1200 calories a day while eating healthy.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

I just finished my first cup of coffee - wrote on MFP blog myfitnesspal.com/blog/snavemom/view/down-but-not-out-767969 and thought I would check in.

I added my post, because I am down and did not want to have to go into details on this thread. You are not obligated to read that post but if you should, then you will understand why I am down.

But as I said, I may be down but so far, I am not OUT. My sister did not get the opportunity that I have been given. I am just not convinced I can meet this food/lifestyle challenge. But then again, if I don't, my future looks bleak.

OTHER THAN ALL OF THAT, I am good. I have some painting to do today, and DH and I will start planning our adventure. Looks like it might be colder than I like - I believe we will leave out Monday. So I have bills to pay and things to do, to keep my OCD mind off my blood tests. Once we get back from our adventure, I plan to get back to Curves to work out. I got lazy this summer with the extreme heat. Now, its DO or die.

I accomplished my Sept goal, which was to get back to MFP.

October - 166.6

Back to Curves
    Walk more
    Cut down on salt
    Eat healthier

That's all I can think of for right now. Later this month my BIL (brother-in-law) will have my sister's Celebration of Life - I believe on the 17th. I will be glad when that is over. Then I can start moving forward - I feel so alone without her.

Debby from Northern California.

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday dear ladies. It's my short day (7-3) and going to be a nice cool day. Last evening the neighbor across the street was talking with DH. The next thing I know they are bringing over to large rocking chairs and put on our porch. I have always wanted rockers out there to set and enjoy the evening. So excited about that. They did not charge a lot so that is nice too. Told DH tonight after work we will be sitting out there even if we have to be in coats and blankets.

Debby--Your vacation sounds like my kind of deal. Just go and do what you want when you want.

Cynthia--HUGS!!

Mary--Love the cabin. I want to come stay it looks very relaxing. You did a good job on the painting.

Teri--I agree with Chris you should use one of the tickets.

Barbie--Thanks for getting us started in the new month. You are the best!!

Joyce--Charlie singing your song warms my heart. Does sound like his eating for today was better. My DH has trouble eating at times. He will eat maybe 1\3 of what he has and eats so slow. I am learning to not take it personal, which is not always easy.

Sharon--I agree we all need to be more like your DGD and just hug each other.

Heather--Proud of you for making the phone call. I pray it will all be done and over soon. I hope you have a very Happy Birthday tomorrow and good time with your DB and DSIL.

Well ladies I have made some goals for this month.
    October Goals
    1. Weigh less at the end of the month then at the beginning.
    2. Log every bite.
    3. Stress less, Pray more
    4. Enjoy everyday. Look for the positive.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE