WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    fanncy - The cabin is adorable! I love the color combination.

snavemom - The drought has been bad here in Texas too, and as a result places long submerged at the bottoms of our lakes were coming to light. We finally got some relief this spring (including fmassive flooding, of course) and the lake levels recovered quite a bit, but we've been without rain again for quite awhile. I know what you mean about the ark - it seems like we always have either too little rain or too much!

Irish Terri - A little chutney will give those tomatoes something to think about! I accidentally ended up with tomato plants this fall... I'm doubtful about their prospects because it's awfully late in the season, but I guess we'll see what they do.

I can't believe it's October already, but I'm looking to turn a new page. My progress on September goals was pretty lackluster, so I need this moment to re-energize.

Dinner with the in-laws the other day wasn't bad. We did pick up the tab but it wasn't as much as I'd anticipated, and we had a good visit with them. His parents are really detached, and they're not very supportive. They've never respected my work, and don't even get me started on the comments they made about his career change! That's just how they are and they're not going to change.

I have a couple of trips this month, so one of my challenges will be to stay on track with eating and tracking while I'm away from home. Fortunately, both trips should offer plenty of opportunities to be active, which is especially helpful when you're eating out three meals a day!

-Yvonne in TX

October goals:
    1. Exercise at least four days a week.
    2. Introduce at least one new option for cardio workouts.
    3. Work on some simple strength training.
    4. Use up all the frozen fruit and veggies in the freezer.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Welcome to October!
    Goals shmoals it seems. I seem to have had a net weight loss of only one pound for September. At one point I was down three quarters more than that. So back to goals for October, which sound a lot like Vicki's, especially Number 1. It is going to be tough because on Saturday we are beginning a road trip to the Midwest and Deep South where I really really REALLY want to find some good barbecue! I will have to watch those crazy motel breakfast buffets, too. I will have to find lots of opportunities to get out of the car and walk walk walk. Wish me luck!
    Going through NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, AR, MO, TN, AL, MS and KY. Any ideas on nutritious food stops would be appreciated...I want to try local food but not gain weight. Is that possible where I am going? Have never really experienced true Southern cooking.
    Betty in chilly WNY
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My brother texted me to say they were coming over lunchtime! ! ! ! Noooooooooooooooo!
    I said any time in the afternoon is great and we could go for a walk and a pint. I need the morning for prep.

DJ - I am basically a control freak. Prefer my own territory. :laugh:

Debbie - my thoughts are with you. <3

Roasted butternut squash and garlic prawns tonight - my new standard favourite.

Love you all. I have 2 pounds to lose before the party. I CAN do it. 2 weeks.

Heather UK

PS - just popped back in to say I picked a last bunch of sweet peas today! We are snowed under with apples and pears. Wonderful! :bigsmile:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    miakoda - congrats on the loss

damnit - 10/9 is my followup visit

cityjane - call him back!
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My goals for October:

1. Weigh less at the end of the month than at the beginning.
    2. Log every day.
    3. Walk 4-5 times a week.

Elaine in Lansing
  • relater2000
    Options
    I am interested in getting a "tracker" for tracking my steps. What do those of you who use one (FitBit, etc.) recommend?

Thanks for your input!

Elaine in Lansing
  • relater2000
    Options
    I am also interested in getting a digital scale. What do you recommend?

Thank you!

Elaine in Lansing
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    :p
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    September was a tough month, still didn't lose the "so much fun in August" weight. Still 3.8 lbs. away.

Goals for September:
    Log all food...did really well except for about 4 days when I just didn't want to log because I knew I ate/drank over calories.
    Strength train 3x/week...achieved goal. Began Stronglifts and have been faithful to the program.
    Drink 64oz of water every day...failed miserably. Achieved this only once.
    Do something everyday that makes me happy...pretty successful on this goal.

Goals for October:
    Log all food
    Stronglifts 3x/week
    Drink 64 oz water/day
    Do something everyday that makes me happy
    Lose 4 lbs.
    Increase protein

Not that it's an excuse but I know why I drank less water last month than in August. The water filtration system in my house which I use to fill my water bottles broke. The replacement part was ordered, it took over 2 1/2 weeks to arrive and then we discovered it was the wrong part. I have had to buy the 16.9 oz water bottles which is significantly smaller than the bottles I refill. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.
    I took my car in for a routine oil change and it was discovered I need new brakes and bearings. My dryer quit working on Monday...heavy sigh for unexpected expenses.
    Did have 2 NSV this week though which make me very happy. The first one is that I discovered my collar bone. Doesn't sound like much, but I keep reading about women and their collor bones, and I've been patiently waiting to meet mine. Yesterday I was in the ladies room, washing my hands, looking in the mirror, and it must have been the handwashing action which revealed....my collor bone!! The second is that someone thought I was 48 years old...I turned 59 in July. He was astonded at my age.

Joyce...it was so heartwarming to hear about Charlie singing to you. I hope that the worst is over for the both of you and that he continues to sing your praises.
    Mary in Minnesota...can I book my reservation to your cabin? We can lift together. It is so cute and it was worth the 2 coats of burgandy, it really makes it look awesome. I'll come after you finish the inside though, LOL!
    Have a wonderful visit with your family.

Back to work.
    Chris in MA
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am interested in getting a "tracker" for tracking my steps. What do those of you who use one (FitBit, etc.) recommend?

Thanks for your input!

Elaine in Lansing
    I have a fitbit flex and love it. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor, but counts steps and logs sleep. I follow it all day on my phone and participate in challenges to keep my step totals up. I wear it on my ankle instead of my arm because I think it more acurately counts the steps and I don't like the wrist band. JMO
    Fitbit also has a scale (Aria) but I don't have one. I have a Taylor which is supposed to measure body fat and water along with weight but I'm a bit skeptical if it really does. These are "smart scales".
    Chris in MA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Chris - I remember a holiday a long time ago when I was soooooo happy to see my collar bones in the mirror it really helped me get through a very difficult holiday. Collar bones rock!

Heather UK

Just heard from my brother <3<3<3 that they are coming in the afternoon and will text me when they leave. Did I mention that I am a control freak? :laugh: :laugh:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Tx,barbie.welcome oct
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    September goals ... Go back to what I know works for me.
    1. Stay within calorie limits ... Fail
    2. Log my earring honestly ... I know where all my earrings are!!

Well I lost the rest of this post ... Let's just say I didn't do well. Only lost one pound which is not acceptable given my yo-yoing.

Simple October goal ...
    Weigh less on November 1st than I do today.

Beth
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Well, September was pretty much a bust for me. Averaged just over 6000 steps per day and only lost 1 pound. So, starting with a clean slate here.

October goals:
    Average 7500 steps per day
    • Workout 5X per week
    • Log EVERY bite
    • 6 glasses of water per day
    • Lose 9 pounds by the holidays
    • Positive affirmations daily, out loud
    • Be HAPPY and GRATEFUL

Joyce – Wonderful story about the song that Charlie sang. I hope he continues to progress down recovery road. <3

Sharon – I loved the story about your DGD hugging everyone. The world does need more hugs. <3

My fitness tracker is on the fritz. It has started to conk out in the middle of the day even when it says it has days of battery left. So I’ve ordered myself a new one and it should arrive by the end of the week. My old one was a Jawbone UP24. I liked it a lot and it lasted over a year. But I ended up buying a Withings Activite Pop because it seems to have the features I want and it just looks like a normal watch. I haven’t tried a Fitbit yet, because I want something that doesn’t look like a fitness tracker especially when I dress up for work, church, or anything else.

Elaine – My recommendation is to think about the features that you want most (i.e. steps, swimming, sleep, idle alert, etc.) and then look for something with those features and decent reviews. I think a lot of ladies here use the Fitbit which is probably the most popular brand of fitness tracker.

Looks like I will be hosting Thanksgiving for my family this year. In the past, my brother has hosted Thanksgiving and I’ve hosted Easter. But, he didn’t offer and no one was available for Easter this past year, so I’ll host. If everyone comes, there will be 17 of us. That should be OK because I can setup a table in the sun room for the 5 kids. Our foster kitties are in the sunroom now, but they should be gone in a few weeks.
    For those of you asking for more kitty pictures, here you go. These are our four newest fosters – Oscar, Tony, Simba, and Butterscotch (clockwise from top left).

tuf81ofisvu1.jpg

Linda/IA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness Linda/IA melt my heart!!!!! <3

Cheri NE Ohio
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Adorable kitties. I will be getting new kittens in about 4 weeks. They are only 2 weeks old right now. They were born to a feral barn cat. They will be my barn cats. Always makes me nervous because there are so many coyotes behind my barn. But they haven't caught my two barn cats and they have been there for 9 years. I'm hoping the adult cats will teach the kitties where not to go once they are old enough to let outside.

I'm attaching a not so attractive picture of me from my ride the other day because I think my horse looks good.

Cheryl - North of Chicago
    zazf84bp3hnf.jpeg
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thanks for the new thread!

Thanks to everyone who commented with their support for my "tired of struggling" problem. Still struggling, so support is always welcome. Support never goes out of style. :-)

Happy Thursday,
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    D.J./Janet~ he goes to sleep at 7 pm, as I do, so thats why were are up literally before the crack of dawn...
    there is a local radio station that has a rendition of Hal Boyle's Hail October, if you can find it ..listen to it.. I believe it says all....
    I was horrible today.... at a whole bag ( and not the small one either) of peanut m and m's , that was just stupid, at least I have almost 10,000
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of a DVD called Elle Glam Total Toning. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD called Gimme Gimme Gimme. Wonder how it'll be?

And, hopefuly, they'll install the microwave.

I also have an eye MD appt in the morning. Vince has a men's lunch to go to but I should be back from the eye MD by the time he has to leave. The only thing might be that they're probably going to dialate my eyes, but that won't be a biggie.

Joyce - what an innovative incontinence pad you made! So sorry Charlie has tried it and shown that it worked. Was that the first time Charlie went to karaoe? How sweet that he sang that song for you and you were there to hear it.

Mindy - congrats on the great loss

Alison - happy birthday to your dad!

Mary in MN - enjoy your company. We'll still be here

Mia - congrats on breaking that plateau.

DJ - the movie theater that charges $3 shows second run movies. We just wait until the movie gets there. I think the senior matinee is something like $6 at the first run movie theater

Vicki - how wonderful that you got those rocking chairs!

We're SUPPOSED to get lots of rain this weekend. We shall see

Betty - TN is known for their bbq. Just google "Tennessee bbq" and you'll get lots of hits

Heather - I have no doubt that you'll be serving your brother a big fantastic spread

Chris in MA - so sorry for those unexpected expenses. Don't you just hate it when you take your car in for something and find there's lots more work that needs to be done? Congrats on finding your collarbone and being mistaken for being younger. That always makes me feel good

Linda/IA I want a fitness tracker that looks like a normal watch. Will have to check out the Withings Activite Pop. Thanks for the lovely kitty pics. I think I'm in love (again)

Vince just went to get gas for our generator in anticipation of the rain this weekend. Personally, I think he's being overlyconservative. But if that makes him happy...so what?

Cheryl - you don't look unattractive at all. And your horse is so majestic.

Better post this then get some dried fruit ready to take to the movies.

Michele in NC