WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    And Happy Birthday Heather!!! Wishing you a great day and a wonderful year.

Cheers- Rosie
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I came from the hospital yesterday, a day early. Physical therapy told my doc that I was their "poster child". My left leg looks like an elephant leg. I'm sure I'll feel much better when the swelling begins to go down. Home Health nurse will come today just to evaluate me. Then starting Monday a Physical Therapist will come 3 days a week for four weeks. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. I'm doing well

Janetr OKC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday, Heather!!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Way to go Janetr! Good to hear you're doing well and have gone home. Your elephant leg will undoubtedly turn back into a gazelle leg with a bit of time and PT.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    I came from the hospital yesterday, a day early. Physical therapy told my doc that I was their "poster child". My left leg looks like an elephant leg. I'm sure I'll feel much better when the swelling begins to go down. Home Health nurse will come today just to evaluate me. Then starting Monday a Physical Therapist will come 3 days a week for four weeks. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes. I'm doing well

Janetr OKC

Yeah! Glad to hear the you are doing so well!

Mary from Minnesota
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Janet, so glad you are home and doing well!

As for the shootings. It is a media myth that violence is associated with mental illness. The well done studies show that people with mental illnesses are more likely to be the victims than the doer of violence. There is a correlation between substance abuse and violence, and anger issues and violence. And white males that are angry and become violent. I researched this thoroughly as part of my advocacy work defeating a bill here in Iowa to force medications. One of the arguments for forcing medication (with HORRID side effects) was that it would prevent violence. But we were able to show that scientifically accurate studies (not pseudo science) show that there is no correlation! At one time I had a whole file drawer of studies.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

First thing all of us on the East Coast have to do is survive the downpours we are expecting the next few days. I keep hearing about 10” to 18” in different areas. Stay safe, my friends. I certainly wish all of us great success and happiness. I hope all those that have had surgery or been ill will heal quickly. Again, congratulations to all the successes. Hugs to those that want/need them.
    rose.gif

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Yes - all those on the East Coast - I see the on the news this morning - it will be rain and rain for you. Good that the hurricane has veered off out into the Atlantic. But all that water - stay safe everyone.

I am off to the city today so hopefully I can make some good choices all around. I don't stop and eat somewhere when I travel by myself... so....

Take care everyone - ((((hugs))))

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So sorry for the shootings in Oregon. :'( Words are inadequate.

Thank you everyone for my birthday wishes. It means a lot. :flowerforyou:

Janetr - glad you are safely home. <3

Well, my day started off extremely well, with a whole heap of presents from DH and a birthday cuddle. :blushing: Among other things he got a huge selection of dried chillies from Mexico. ! :love: And a calendar with photos of the old junk that the Russians left behind in Svalbard, where we are going next year (near Penny) :laugh:

So all was good until my DSIL rang about their niece coming to DH's party. It's a very long story, but basically DH didn't have room for her and her boyfriend at the table, she wasn't invited and he has had no relationship with her and doesn't even like her. DSIL had concocted all this because she felt bad that their brother wasn't coming. (They live in Australia and the niece is over for the World Cup) So basically we said she was welcome to stay nearby and visit for the Friday Potluck. The Saturday is a booked, expensive, catered meal where you have to choose food in advance and the table seats 26. This did NOT go down well with DSIL . The niece has not been in touch with us and has done it all third hand through DSIL. I just think his brother was having a guilt attack, but DH couldn't care less about the niece and she has never contacted him, even through Facebook. Eventually DH was getting so upset he handed the phone over to me! ! ! ! I argued with her and she put the phone down on me. I rang her back and we had another argument. DH was very upset, but glad I had dealt with it. We are in total agreement. It's his party and he invites who he likes. This young woman is a drama queen and daddy's little favourite. DSIL was even asking me where they could stay!
    Hrrrrumph!

I'm sure it will all calm down. DSIL often gets the wrong end of the stick and didn't even know that the meal is to be paid for. She hadn't read the info we sent out. I don't suppose the niece is at all bothered. :laugh:

Anyway, the meal is all prepped, with DH's help and my brother and DSIL are on their way ! ! ! ! <3

We will go for a walk in our lovely sunny weather. Call in at the pub garden. :bigsmile:

Stay safe all in the way of the hurricane.

Love Heather in beautiful Hampshire UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Miriam.

Unfortunately this way of lashing out by young men seems to have become their means to express their anger. I cannot remember the book that I read this in where their was a culture with few suicides. Then a respected young man of the culture committed suicide and the rate skyrocketed. It became a rite of passage for some of these men. We as a world as in this kind of cycle. To break this cycle more healthy rites of passage to adulthood need to be spotlighted such as graduating college, becoming a father as examples. Something to break this cycle of fear.

I disagree that this is not okay to say this is becoming routine. To me that minimizes the impact this is having on the victim's families and the crime itself. This is not okay. Each one of these incidences is horrific.

Need to get ready for my aunt's funeral today.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    h8x0d9eyr1it.jpg

Rori reminded me of Margaret's great saying so I found this to post
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Katla - Congratulations on the breakthrough with the hair stylist.

Irish Terri - Interesting observation about affirmations. I'm going to see if our library has "The Giant Within."

Rori & Barbie - I'll endeavor to remember that about not biting the hook!

Lindy - Welcome and good luck with your goals!

After the news this week, here is something I really needed to see:

THE PEACE OF WILD THINGS
    Wendell Berry

When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Yvonne in TX
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies and Happy Birthday Heather and Welcome Home Janet!

Irish Teri, thank you for the poem. Too bad such lovely words are the result of an awful tragedy.
    Barbie, thanks so much for keeping us going.

Good news for us on the East Coast, the hurricane is going out to sea. We will just get some wind and rain up here. It was good news to wake up to.
    One of my goals for the month is to do something everyday that makes me happy and my New Year's resolution is to do something new once/week. So tomorrow I will joining a friend to watch her square dance as my happy/new goal. I will not participate because unlike some of you ladies I cannot even do the chicken dance. Two left feet and no coordination. Tonight is book club and I have yet to finish the book. It just isn't my cup of tea. Prelogged about 400 calories in anticipation of a bit of wine and dessert. Finally begining to see a bit of a loss on the scale and do not want to derail it.

I hope everyone has a great day.
    Chris in MA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Joyce: Congratulations on the Mall walking and the weight loss! WTG! It sounds like Charlie is also doing better. :flowerforyou:

Lindy: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Irish TerrI: I love the poem and it expresses what I feel, too. :cry: :heart:

Heather: Happy Birthday! :heart: Happy Birthday to your DH, too. I'm sorry about the difficult situation with DSIL's daughter. :noway:

Janetr OKC: I am so glad that surgery went well and you're the "poster child!" WTG! :bigsmile:

Miriam: Your comments about substance abuse as the cause of violent behavior makes sense to me as a bigger issue than mental illness but I suspect that both play a role in some cases. I'm thinking of another Oregon mass murderer, Kip Kinkle. I am not sure on the substance abuse element, but he definitely had lifelong mental health issues. Now I have to wonder if his medications were part of the problem. :cry:

Margaret: I hope your Aunt's funeral brings the family together and gives everyone a chance to connect with one another as well as say goodbye to her. :flowerforyou:

Yvonne: Thank you for sharing The Peace of Wild Things. It is lovely and comforting. :heart:

I have yoga this morning, and a social gathering to prepare for this afternoon. It is only two other couples, which helps keep me more relaxed. Meanwhile, there is a house to clean!

Regarding riding without a saddle, I love to ride with only a saddle pad just as Cheryl's picture shows. The saddle itself makes it harder for me to communicate with the horse & I feel so much more connection with him when it is not in the way. When there are no stirrups, the "right" shoes are not a real concern. That said, I used a saddle last week after my riding lesson for safety reasons. I was out there on the hillside with the horse and the Lord, and no one to help if there was a problem.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

katla - glad u got the cut you wanted!

patceoh - purdy flower

whippet - i understand your concern about your hubby...

csofled - look on the bright side, you didn't GAIN any weight in sept.

poerava14 - congrats on your 3lb loss!!

jmkmomm- congrats on your 5lb loss, everyone is loosing!!

lindy2015- welcome!

fanncy- purdy firepit... ahhhhh toastyyyyyyyyyyyy

grandmallie- you r a sweet woman...

janetr - just do what the doc says, you'll b fine

cityjane- HAPPYYYYYYYYY BDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Late). YOU GO ON WIT YO BAD SELF!!

annr - hi

my wrist is hurting, my shoulder is itching (sign of healing) my first walk from train station to home yesterday, not bad. Kirby was replacing my phone, the connector wasn't staying charged. I have his phone again today. I brought jeans (I rarely wear them) and forgot they have a zipper and a button. I was able to zip and button up, whew! the zip front sports bra is working out and the front clasp bra is too. those stool softener pills the doc gives you don't work. :0/

didn't take a pain pill yesterday but i'm gonna today.

type to ya later....

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Mindy, I totally agree with Barbie. Keeping track of spending is just like keeping track of calories. It really helps and awareness is amazing. I personally use YNAB (You Need A Budget) software to track my spending, retirement accounts and budget. I think it is amazing. The budget works like virtual envelopes to keep track of how much you have in each category. When I had credit card debt, I had tabs for each account and watched them come up to zero (from the negative number representing money owed). It does cost money for the software, though. I think it is around $60, but sometimes they run specials. The online support and tutorials are nice and come with it. There is also mint.com, which I think is free, but I have no personal experience with it. Financial freedom is a bit of an obsession of mine since I whipped ours into shape. I had some serious consumer debt at one time.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Rori - hope you enjoy "She's Thinking Out Loud." Will go back to writing my column after I finish this restaurant saga, last day slated for October 16. Another year or two should give me enough columns for another book. :)

Lined up my next contract, will do some work on the weekends, but it's a short one, for a proposal due November 4. Love those - nice, clean, completely virtual, a few phone meetings, and a document produced. Hopefully one that wins the business. I get paid either way. :)

Spending the day at home entering tickets into spreadsheets to try to finish accounting for the time the system was down at the restaurant. Simply can't accomplish it in the building with the world in and out of that office constantly--the new manager is there, and a few days without me should get him more on his feet and operating without me. That will free me up to finish the procedure set that I have to accomplish before I check off my last two major items on the punchlist.

Just as well I'm at home, spent the night upchucking when a piece of the truly amazing hamburger my DH made me for dinner got stuck like Chuck. Hasn't happened in a long time, but I forgot to take protein bars with me to work, came home starving, ate too fast... and paid the price. Just passed my ten-year anniversary since the gastric bypass, and still I sometimes forget to chew carefully and completely. *sigh*

Entering numbers in a spreadsheet may not sound like fun, but the quiet is very healing to a slightly battered spirit. The confrontation with the worst of the miscreants is slated for Monday, with me as "neutral observer," and the new manager handling it. Should be interesting.

Hoping for peace for those in Roseburg... closure is a long time away for them as well as all the families who've lost dear ones this last year. The longest this country has gone without a mass shooting this year is a span of eight whole days. A study I did in college 20 years ago noted that young white males successfully commit suicide more than any other age, gender or race. It appears they've chosen another way to commit suicide, and it is devastating so many.

Stay warm and dry and safe, you East Coasties!

Happy birthday, Heather!

Warmest regards,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's a beautiful morning here, but cool. It looks like we are going to have an autumn after all. After I dropped the kids at school I hit a few garage sales and scored a brand new jacket (reversible) for $1 and a pearl necklace (they look real to me but surely aren't) for $1 and an electric griddle for $5 (brand new in the box). The jacket is a large and it fits loose enough to wear over a sweat shirt but it isn't as huge as what I have left over from my fatter days. So, I'm sitting at my desk wearing my new pearls with my t-shirt and workout capris, feeling all snazzy. I just love garage sales.

Tomorrow hubby and I are going on a little road trip to the clay supplier in Lawrence. That should be fun. Its about a 3 hour drive each way, and I'm hoping we can go back through Kansas City to do some shopping there. Hubby's worst nightmare - a day of shopping.

Heather - Happy Birthday!

JanetOKC - I hope the leg gets back to normal quickly.

Rosie - what fun to connect with an old friend! I hope you have a great time catching up.

Penny - I forgot about Dan Quayle. He really came up with some brilliant stuff. Remember when he couldn't spell potato? Sometimes I wonder if the vice president is there just for comic relief. Dick Cheney was the exception.

Well, I have to get my drafting bill finished and sent out so I can get paid. I hope you are all having a great Friday.

Sylvia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Hello, all ... so glad to have wandered back to this thread again. So very encouraging from everybody (maybe because we all understand what each are going through; and 'if' we don't we don't make "snarky" remarks. I probably could have asked this question here and gotten a better result from the 'new thread' I started that asked 'how many calories do I burn if I wash my car and it takes me an hour'. WHOA! Was NOT prepared for the comments made. Especially the two that called me "a 'troll' looking for another excuse to eat more calories." DUH? Where did that come from . . . then I looked closely and obviously it came from a 'much younger, naïve childish twit; got a 'private message' that told me to go to a particular site that would give me what I was asking for and she 'hoped' I did not go back and read the comments made. Nosey me, just had to go back and look. Wasn't a good day yesterday - more senseless shootings of innocent young starting college and going into a whole different world and expecting to be protected as at home. Sorry for all the ones involved in this shooting and their families. We've tried to instill to our oldest granddaughter off at college to always be aware of her surroundings. She is now 'in the real world' and she is responsible for herself - we aren't with her now. She commented yesterday at the sheer number of kids her generation that have their cellphones in their face, either texting, reading a text, or taking selfies. How they'd walk and if they bumped into you while doing so, they act like it is YOUR fault for doing so, no 'excuse me's' ... nothing. She said it would probably floor me to see how many go by in a world all to themselves, with earplugs in their ears and cellphones in their faces. Hard enough to carry on a conversation as it is without this 'sign' being hung around their necks of 'I don't want to be involved with finding out anything about you' kind of attitude that her generation that she is a part of is in. She told a classmate who is the age of her Daddy that she wished she had been born during the time he was or that I (as her grandparent) was . . . when you had to actually communicate face-to-face with the person beside you. She was fussing about 2 students who have the same type of job that she does, on campus who *kitten* about working and spend their days on FB while at work and then don't stay to help clean up after closing. They both leave when the last customer leaves or before. She has rent to pay, so she NEEDS her job, maybe they do or maybe they don't. DDnL got sent home for having her cellphone 'on and on Facebook' while she was working. She just could not understand, saying that she gets orders from 'friends' on it. Bull - they can call the office like any other customer; actually she is the secretary/receptionists but she takes orders - she just don't make anything extra for doing so and this pisses her off while she watches the boss's son do as he pleases. Well, sweetie, he IS the son of the owner and the owner is going to take the side of his son over her. Period.

Then Obuzzard had to make it political by talking about 'gun control' again. We have a Constitution that protects our rights to have guns. People kill people, not guns (they are just the tool that is used). Yes, I am for a 'cooling off period', a 3-day or longer background check -- but 'controlling guns' . . . I think there are way too many hunters and people who hunt to put food on their tables to start talking about finding out who have guns. They already know who has guns by the ammunition they buy; and there are a certain number of 'duds' that are in boxes as well. They (government) does have some 'control' over guns in this country. Second Amendment is to protect us from tyranny. Criminals will get guns by any means they have to; it is the 'honest' ones that feel that the Constitution protects our right to own one (or as many as we want). Gun control laws don't distinguish the assault rifles from hunting rifles, handgun permits to carry a gun in vehicle changes from state to state. Permits for carry - I'm not sure I want everybody to be carrying a gun everywhere they go; but, I don't want to carry a gun myself. I have a healthy respect for a gun - I can load and shoot one and I am 'not' happy that for the first time in our 43 years of marriage, we have a 'loaded' gun in the house. I haven't felt uneasy at any time; however I don't see America ever having to turn in their guns to the government like Great Britain and Australia have done - fat chance of most hunters ever agreeing to doing that. I think that 'political correctness' has gone too far and it needs to start swinging back before it flies off the handle. Checks and balances - that is what our government is set us as - 3 branches of government - legislative, judicial, and executive. For the past 7+ years everything has been commented on by our POTUS that has only weakened America. IMHO - we are not as respected by the world as we were during WWII; but, it is beginning to look like we'll be in a WWIII before all is said and done on the fast track we are taking now. I'm a conservative; but, not so much that I am unwilling to help someone who is down and out through no fault of their own. I don't believe that people should be put back into slavery-type positions by encouraging them to feed off the government dole. Stop doing things that send our jobs to another country, stop killing babies to make a profit. Roe v. Wade gives a woman the right to have an abortion whether you agree with it or not. But, when a fetus is 'old' enough to possibly live outside the wound - then for God's sake don't keep it alive long enough to harvest and sell its body parts - that's murder! An adult can agree to be an 'organ donor' but who has the right to determine where an aborted baby's organs are going? Surely not the baby, too young, parent should not have that right, and government definitely should not have that right. The laws of the land should be followed by everybody - including Congress (but, they think they are above the law). They don't pay into the SS System and they have their 'own' insurance plan therefore they can by-pass ObamaCare. As a Federal Government Retiree - I have my own insurance, too - but I pay dearly for it. Planned Parenthood cannot have it both ways. They either work with a woman to plan her parenthood status (a part of the Women's Healthcare; or they are in the 'abortion business' . . . but not both. Conflict of interest if ever there was one. But, I don't expect for everybody to agree.

On a more personal note - thanks to all for the recommendations of what my 'step-granddaughter' could call me. I will pass them on to her mother and they can talk about it. My 'newest' DDnL called me 'Miss Lenora' the other day and I told her that when she married my son, the "Miss" really needed to be dropped and laughed. She understood and knows that they do need to come up with a more suitable name. Even my other DDnL doesn't call me "Lenora" - if she doesn't call me "Nana" she just starts in on the conversation - I might as well be 'Hey, you - '. I 'liked' the suggestion of calling me NanaNora, especially since she calls my husband "PapaLouie". I could handle "Gran" although I had said I did not want any form of "Grandmother" used. It sounds more elegant; but, not as 'stuffy' as "Grandmother". Don't want to be called "Grandmama" because it reminds me of my paternal grandmother who scared me to death! Grannie sounds so 'old' and I am not an 'old' grandmother. I was 45 when I became a grandmother the first time and that child was the one who gave me the name of "Nana" and it has stuck with all the other granddaughters born afterwards. They call their other grandmother "Nana" as well except when we are together - the its "Tiny Nana" and "Big Nana". Doesn't bother me to be called "Tiny Nana" but I'm sure that the other one would not want to be called "Big Nana" to her face - "Patsy Nana" or "Nana Patsy" is a name that sounds better and they usually do that - just so that we know which one they are talking about.

OConnell5483 - yes, it does hurt a little when your son or daughter finds the 'love of their life' and you become below them in the line of what is important; but, mine has actually found the absolute love of his life and they both admitted that they intend on making their own lives together (example - she deleted her FB account because he does not want his business advertised all over the place) and if you are a friend of a friend, no matter how tightly you set your own privacy settings; it is what others set their privacy settings that make a difference on whether anything said is really 'private'.

Margaretturk - I'm not sure I made myself clear about my irises and daylilies. Can they be mowed down to about 2" and then cover them with soil to cover the bulbs that over the years have come up so that they are exposed. Will they come back or will this kill them? I'm not really happy with the way this 15 x 25 foot rectangular garden looks most of the time. Flowers bulbs were planted here and there without regard to how big or small they would be; and I'm not sure if I would be better just digging up the bulbs, separating them and then replanting them (I'm guessing I would need to replant them in the fall for them to bloom in the spring). My green thumb has taken on a retirement basis and is getting very lazy and I am ready for it to come back now.

Mikesmom - my son started calling my Mother MeMaw because of how we were explaining to him 'who she was'; she is 'my mother' and I am 'your mother'. Pointed first at himself, then me, then my mother . . . "Me, Mama, ma'smaw" . . . MeMaw and PaPaw.

Thanks and LOADS of LOVE to all of you. I know if I stay on this thread, I will have people treat me in a way that I wish to be treated. Kindly, even if you don't agree with me. :smiley:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star:
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Janetr OKC

Great news Janetr. Wishing you a speedy recovery. The only suggestions I can think of as I've never had surgery is take the pain meds, follow the Drs and PTs orders, and be kind to yourself as your body heals.

Get well soon.

<3 Rosie