WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    13,000 steps
    127 minutes of dog walking

c0411.gif We have a sort of blended family and wrote our wills quite a few years ago with language to account for all the children and grandchildren. A wonderful attorney helped us write it so there would be no confusion. We review it every year and occasionally update it. We have a list of who gets certain special items and in some cases, have post-it notes with name and phone number on the item. We also have a plan for who will get our pets and money to take care of them.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington t120006.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
    kxj1yvrrn5fs.jpg

10/10/95, i lost lenny at 34 years of age, so young, i can't believe it's been 20 years
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
    5qn912tua28t.jpg

10/11/96 we moved into our new home.. wow, time has surely flown by.

nite peeps
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hi friends. Well we have had a busy weekend! We went to the Bonefish Grill last night for our anniversary and today we went to the fire department's annual open house and pancake feed. It's nice to run into paramedics and fire fighters I have known for years. The fire chief is an old friend of mine too. This afternoon we went to the botanical gardens for a memorial service for the funeral home my parents used. They do a memorial and dedication there each year and plant different plants for those who they buried. It was a lovely service complete with a bagpiper. After the service we walked the garden for an hour and saw the plaque with my dad's name on it. So we are tired!

Well tomorrow my class starts, so the craziness begins. I've already had texts from students with questions.

DD#2 thinks she has an ear infection so she is supposed to see the campus health center tomorrow.

Well, I'm off to bed. Take care and hugs to everyone who needs them! Meg from Omaha where it reached 90 degrees today!
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Sylvia I had a good laugh picturing you chasing the dog back and forth in the car because my dog does the same thing only not in the car. Last week we had to keep chasing her from our yard to 2 others as she chased squirrels! It was pretty funny watching the kids try to catch her - kind of like the old Keystone Cops!

Thanks for the Chicken Pesto recipe - I have a big basil plant growing in my "green house" window in my kitchen that is just begging to be cut back and made into pesto - On my To Do list for tomorrow. I've never made it before but know that it's easy to do. I'm sure there will be extra to freeze.

Right now I have pork chops in the broiler, mac & cheese on the stove top (leftover brown rice for me) and frozen Normandy veggies in the microwave. Would that be considered multi tasking?

I was going to make the pork chops 2 days ago but DGS#2 came home from school saying his tummy hadn't felt good all day - by the next morning had trouble swallowing and fever. Of course he has strep. Much better today after starting antibiotics. Not sure I'll send him back to school tomorrow though as his neck is still hurting.

Lately I have been having some very serious conversations with myself when I've felt like having a real binge. I've noticed a lot of people having this problem lately and I wonder if it's the change in weather because usually when I have these thoughts I'm wanting comfort food. My solution is going to be keeping a pot of homemade soup in the refrigerator and freezer. While I keep lots of canned soup in the pantry I hate to eat it due to the high sodium content.

I'd better get back to reading or I'll never get caught up. I hate jumping ahead because then I read a response to someone and have no idea what they were talking about and have to go back and look for the post. So know that even if I don't personally respond to each of you I know what you're going through and am there in thought with you whether it's difficulties or joys, happiness or heartache.

Thank you for being in my life. You're all like sisters whether we have the same point of view or not.110965h82lse9lqw.jpg

Gloria in WA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Busy day today, and a trumpet concert tonight. I'm pooped. Good night all!

Sylvia
  • GloworminWA
    I hate getting behind here but I do try to go on FB at least once a week to keep up with my daughters, my family and old friends I also try to support others on the MFP news feed. Sometimes I do feel a bit overwhelmed but I try to fit it in as I can. I did stop looking at Craigs list as I did start feeling like I was addicted to it. Now I only go on if I have a specific thing to look for.
  • GloworminWA
    This is really sad - I am just reading a post from Terri where she said "Happy Wednesday" and it's Sunday already. Now you know how far behind I am!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    That's OK Gloworm, I'm not going to try to go back and find out what is going on with Terri's mom and house and all that. I will eventually figure it out. Sometimes I have brain farts and things just don't click up there.

Pip, thanks for the picture of your first husband. He sounds like a lovely man, the kind of man who was courageous to go through what he went through before his death. A role model for all of us. Your home is lovely. So it was decorated for Christmas in October?

Sylvia, we used to have a dog named Buddy. He was such a wonderful family dog, a shelty. We got him as a puppy. He was supposed to stay either in the house or in our fenced in back yard but he would find his ways to get out. But several blocks away was a beautiful female named Chocolate. So that was always our first place to look. Anyway, when we would find him, we would open up the passenger door and tell him to hop in. Never would work. We had to park, get out and open up the drivers door and let him sit a few moments at the wheel then he would move over.

When my Grandma Pete died, my dad's mom, she had many years of memories and a big family. Her and Grandpa were farmers and never had a will, just 3 boys who had big families. So when she died, the DNL that took care of her the most and was the most selfless person you could ask for, set everything out in her back yard and we had a family only yard sale. Everything was free for the taking. There were kids starting college needing pots and pans and such. Grandma had so many sets through the years and always took care of everything. So even though it was very old, those pots and pans and dishes were still good for a kid starting out in a dorm. The rest, well it just all worked out. Everyone talked about what was there and what they wanted or even made suggestions that that piece would look nice in your house. Some of her things are still in use. I have a china cabinet, my sister has her brass bed and dresser. My brother is still using her old stand up small chest freezer. I have the hurricane lantern that Grandpa gave Grandma for a wedding present. My brother has their kitchen table. I think they got married in 1905 and so these are really old pieces that were lovingly chosen. She,like many women her age quilted and each person got a quilt whether they wanted it or not. But Mom got the box of all her quilt pieces she had made and just never finished. So as every person was born into the family, Mom would get into her box and make them a quilt from Grandma's quilts.

I will always remember the day Mom, my sister and I went through Mom's house and made decisions on who would get all of her things. It was weird doing that while Mom was alive but everyone is happy with what was decided. Several of them Mom went ahead and gave to family members because she wanted to see us enjoying them and she hardly had room in her home anyway. I hate to see families fight over things that were loved for so many years by their parents.

My new phone I got last week(????) is totally dead now. I have been having problems with it freezing on me and I just take off the back, take the battery out and then put it back together, It didn't work tonight. So off to Verizon I go tomorrow. I also need to call the doctor. The pain i had in my upper chest/shoulder blade area now extends down my right arm when I take a deep breath and if I have one of my sneezing fits it's awful. The pain goes down to my elbow then. That and the continued pain I have in my legs, I think it is nerve pain, well it needs to be dealt with now. I am taking Ibuprofen routinely and it does help.

Love you all, Joyce, indiana

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    morning ladies~
    slept 9 1/2 hrs.. and will go down to see DFIL have to work at 10:30.. will have this weekend upcoming off...
    family room still has a bit of skunky smell.. I think It's in the furniture,will probably have to go Petsmart and find something...
  • GloworminWA
    Katla I am so sorry to hear about your daughter's loss. Hugs to you, your DD and DSIL and his family. During my child bearing years I had 3 miscarriages. I never had trouble getting pregnant but for whatever reason some of the pregnancies were just not meant to be. I think my attitude was due to my OB/GYN's explanation that usually a miscarriage happened because the embryo had something wrong with it and the body just natually rejected it. I never had trouble dealing with the losses but I certainly understand how devastating it can be to some would be parents especially today when so many women seem to have trouble getting pregnant and get pregnant so much older.
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Had a really productive weekend,finished all my paperwork (yeah) just 2 easy chores left on my to do list. I still need to organize my make-up tray and make phone calls to schedule hair cut appointments for me and the kids.

DH grilled a pork tenderloin for dinner and I made yellow & green squash with carrots on the stove to go with. Delicious!

Staying on track recording my food. I am wishing for cooler weather to get out walking again. I really miss it.

Skyped with my DS tonight and he looks and sounds so happy with college.

<3 Rosie in So Cal feeling very blessed
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    o2bqrp2wsgoh.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in Canada.....I noticed that many of you had your celebrations over the weekend.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Linda in ON - tell us how the crustless pie came out

tazgirl - beautiful pics. Everyone looks so wonderful!

Allison - beautiful. Leaves starting to change.

barbie - yes, I love my pool and I will miss it. But then again....I'll be eagerly awaiting April!

Jess pet-sits. She brought this dog, Minni, here because she has an orthodontist appt. The owner really doesn't want her to take the dog away, so we're just not going to tell him. Anyway, this dog is really cute. She wanted me to look after the dog while she was at the orthodontist, normally I would but I also want her to see that she just can't always depend on us to fill in, so I told her that I had an exercise class (which I really could have skipped had I known this beforehand) to go to so she took the dog and is going to leave it in the car. Like I said, it really is a very cute dog, well behaved.

Joyce - sometimes I have the problem with my phone totally freezing and then when I go to use it again it's totally dead. I do have to do a force shut-down on some applications. The problem I have is that I can't remove the battery to reboot it. When I get another phone, one thing I definitely want is to be able to remove the battery.

barbie - thanks for reminding me about the Thanksgiving in Canada. That totally slipped my mind. Happy day everyone (and remember that you can send me your leftovers!)

Did 1 segment of the abs DVD, held my plank for 2 min 45 seconds, and then I'll take the extremepump class. Not sure when Jess is planning to return to VA, so not sure if I'll be going to senior bowling.

Michele in NC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Katia......so sorry for the family. Losing a baby can take a long healing process.Just be there in any way you can.Listening can help your daughter.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Tazgirl...beautiful women and handsome men! Thanks for sharing your joy with us.

Allison...Berkshire's always beautiful but especially this time of year. Color very late this year.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the loss of my friend.

Chris in MA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,817 Member
    The pool is finally closed! Big sigh of relief! We have an inground pool ... Odd shaped ... Spillover spa. The cost of one of those flat/taut covers is prohibitive due to weird shape so we still wrestle an oversized tarp and tubes/bricks to close. I did suggest to DH that we either find a better way or get a dump truck and fill the thing in. But it's done for one more year!

Gloworm ... I have been buying things lately through craigslist and estate sales. Only things I've wanted or needed. For years I put aside decorating large parts of the house as other more important things took precedence. DH plans to retire within next 3-5 years. He's encouraging me to make an effort to get the things that will complete our house ... Up until this past summer, some rooms didn't even have furniture. So I'm doing just that ... But as cost effectively as I can. Because the one thing you learn going through these estate sales is that none of us can take this stuff with us!

And yes, I bought the decorative mirror! :smiley:

Joyce ... Your family did things right! Love that your mom made quilts "from grandma."

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!

Beth
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Yup... pages behind.. again... been busy

Welcome all the newbies - hugs to all that need a hug... we all need a hug don't we.

The 75th anniversary party was a blast. I sure hope when I am 98 or even 92 like she is.. that I am that positive and humorous!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends....

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited October 2015
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Allison, glad the car trip went well. For some reason, I couldn’t get your pictures to open.  Were you on this ride with Tom? I missed that part. I think Tom should go to PetSmart to find out what can be done about the remaining Skunk smell. (sorry, couldn’t resist) >:)

Barbie, so smart to not only have wills with specific instructions but to review everything annually. Oh that we would all be that smart! I am lucky in that one regard, in that we have had one marriage and one child, so much easier to assign everything.
    "That my friend is how life is and now my tale is told
    So enjoy each day and live it up...before you're too darned old."

Pip, that is so sad about Lenny and how wonderful that you then found Kirby. <3

Gloria, sorry for DGS#2 having strep. I think I’d keep him home another day to make sure he’s not still contagious. I agree with you that all of you ladies are more like family to me than just names on a computer screen. My DH and best friend hear me talk about you ladies like you were neighbors or something. Lol

Joyce, I’m laughing about your dog having to sit in the driver’s seat before she would move over. They just all seem to have their quirks, don’t they? How wonderful that your Grandmother’s things could be divided up so nicely and with no family tiffs. I think it’s sad that so many of today’s youth don’t seem to want any family heirlooms and don’t seem to care too much about family history. :'(

MicheleNC, while Jess is pet sitting, she can’t leave the dog at home for a couple of hours? Just curious?

Happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating it today. High fives to those celebrating anything else and hugs to those that want one. I’ll always take a hug, thanks Lillian.

Just a thought:
    You can’t stay young forever,
    But you can be immature for the rest of your life.

At the convention I overheard one of the ladies say,
    "I'm getting so old that all my friends in heaven will think I didn't make it."

When I got home from the convention yesterday, I was wearing a new top that DH had never seen. I’ll admit it is very flattering. When I walked in he said, “wow, you really look skinny!” Ladies, that is not a word I thought I’d ever hear used about me again and especially from DH. I think I’ll wear that top all the time for the rest of my life. LOL ;)

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC